Trent Richardson Trade  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How do you as a Browns Fan feel about the Trich Trade

• Browns come out on Top!!!!
    • Colts come out on Top!!!!
    • Browns get Ripped Off!!!!!
    • Colts get Ripped Off!!!!
    • All Parties involved are Winners!!!!
    • I Dont Care!!! Im no longer a Browns Fan!!!!!!

I was in a good mood this morning. Then I thought I'd check in on the Browns, see if we had news on Rubin and Laovuvoaovo for the weekend. If you had asked me which player we'd traded away, I would have gone through about 50 guesses before getting to Richardson!

Three problems, neither of which are related to not having him on the team next year:

1) Why was this done now, not at the end of the season?

2) Why did we only get a first rounder?

3) Who's going to play RB this season?

I guess next year we're in for Lewis and someone else, RB by committee, presumably some power back. I think that'll work out fine, but it's basically giving up on this season. Still, next April/May is going to be some exciting times!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew Thomas would be a 6x pro bowler as much as people knew that Petterson could stay healthy for a full year, hence why he dropped down to 7th in the draft. Every draft pick has its risks and rewards, you shouldn't really be upset that we went with a tackle that has proven to be one of the best in the league(compared to how we usually draft).

I'm not upset Christ can't you read????........Richardson was A WASTED PICK!!!! You all KNEW it then You KNOW it now...You had a thin line, 1 corner, so so safeties and you pick a running back? My choice would have been Chance Womack HANDS FREEKIN DOWN and You would not have needed to trade UP to get him....another hole filled with the pick you needed to use to trade up

I was in a good mood this morning. Then I thought I'd check in on the Browns, see if we had news on Rubin and Laovuvoaovo for the weekend. If you had asked me which player we'd traded away, I would have gone through about 50 guesses before getting to Richardson!

Three problems, neither of which are related to not having him on the team next year:

I guess next year we're in for Lewis and someone else, RB by committee, presumably some power back. I think that'll work out fine, but it's basically giving up on this season. Still, next April/May is going to be some exciting times!

You can plug in ANYONE to get 3.4 yds/carry....You people thought Hillis was the next Kevin Mack...Running backs are the EASIEST TO REPLACE

I don't have any real problem with the move.

We are obviously setting up to get a QB in the next draft. With all the moaning I have read about both Weeden and Richardson over the last several months, this shouldn't be a move many complain about.

Good move by the front office. Now we just need to hope one of the new guys are capable of running the ball. The kid from Arkansas looked pretty good to me. Sturdy build. Power and speed. SEC background. Why not?

I have no problem with the move.

I will get a chuckle out of those who will complain because they bought a Richardson jersey...lol. When are those goofs going to learn to buy a jersey with a legacy name or their own name on the back?

Forgot about your question about 1st rounder........WHY? What has Richardson done that you would want more than a 1st rounder? Granted it will be a low 1st rounder but now you have a chance for a bookend tackle ( could have had Kaili in 12) a stud guard (missed on Womack last year) A top Corner or a Steve Atwater (yea I'm old but ask Bernie how Atwater KILLED the Browns) type safety. What Receiver do you think the Opp. fears? Little?? Benjimin? Cooper? Christ Gordon is the only worthwhile receiver and he's one nap at Taco Bell away from a total ban

I honestly don't see what all the whining is all about this team was AT BEST a 7-9 team....Win a couple pre season games and you all get a wood...christ

I don't have any real problem with the move.

We are obviously setting up to get a QB in the next draft. With all the moaning I have read about both Weeden and Richardson over the last several months, this shouldn't be a move many complain about.

Good move by the front office. Now we just need to hope one of the new guys are capable of running the ball. The kid from Arkansas looked pretty good to me. Sturdy build. Power and speed. SEC background. Why not?

I WOULD NOT be surprised to see Weeden released by week 5 (0-4)

Forgot about your question about 1st rounder........WHY? What has Richardson done that you would want more than a 1st rounder? Granted it will be a low 1st rounder but now you have a chance for a bookend tackle ( could have had Kaili in 12) a stud guard (missed on Womack last year) A top Corner or a Steve Atwater (yea I'm old but ask Bernie how Atwater KILLED the Browns) type safety. What Receiver do you think the Opp. fears? Little?? Benjimin? Cooper? Christ Gordon is the only worthwhile receiver and he's one nap at Taco Bell away from a total ban

I honestly don't see what all the whining is all about this team was AT BEST a 7-9 team....Win a couple pre season games and you all get a wood...christ

The point is, Richardson for a first rounder is probably about fair value - 31 other teams seem to think so. So why trade for 'fair value' mid way through the season.

I'm coming round to the trade, I just wish we could have got a bit more. If we end up sucking enough to get a top 3 pick, we get our starting QB, then we use the colts' on a WR. That gives us a 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th to get a RB, CB and OG. I'm actually OK with that. My big concern is this season.

^+1- Can I get a refund on my tickets, now that you've thrown in the towel? This says they really don't give two shits about this year, and as you say about the season ticket holders. - it's wait until the 2015 season- we're going to be REALLY good. F- you. I've been waiting since 1999 for you to be "Really good."

I'll give you half face for 2 to your choice of 2 games....big enough "refund" for you?? Put up or shut up buttercup

It's not that everyone WANTS more, though. You're making it sound like Browns fans WANT more simply because they are Browns fans and everyone always wants more. The TRUTH is that people outside of the situation, with no stake on the Browns side, think that it was an awfully low price for him.

I can't understand why you think a average back that you OVERPAID for to begin with should be worth more 17 games later when you KNOW he has a history of injuries??

I think you should feel LUCKY the Browns got a 1st round pick for him...He has led the Browns to a 5-13 record for christ sakes and his touches are those of a backup running back NOT a "stud" back

Do you really think Colt should have got you a even pick? Quinn a 1st rounder? Weeden a 1st rounder? Come on you need to live in the real world....

During the season, it is about winning games and not supposed to be about the draft. During the part of the year that there are no games is when you build and make moves. The part of the year that games are played is when you put on the best show possible.This is just pure bullshit. Tanking the season? How about tanking the decade? Just think how great they could be then. I been watching this team since 1960 and this is without a doubt the most confusing thing I have seen since Modell got rid of Paul Brown. Name one other team that has done anything remotely close to this.Even the Bengals never showed such lunacy during the regular season. The ticket holders take it on the chin again. I wiil continue to follow and hopefully have reason to root for them but there will be iced tea served in hell before I spend a red cent on anything related to the Browns.

The only thing this trade does is guarantee the Browns another top 10, probably top 5 pick- but don't worry we're used to it. OTOH Fox Sports was saying Luck just landed his Edgerrin James, and hate to tell you- he's not. Guy has no burst and breakaway gear & puts on his dancing shoes instead of trying to blast through a tiny hole. He's a very good receiver, high character guy.

But THIS year, the Browns now have absolutely nothing at RB.

If you thought the Browns would finish higher than 7-9 before they lost their 2 starting guards your delusional. Without Cousins on a train out of town the Browns will be LUCKY to win 5

Did you see the Center/Guard the Steelers picked up outside church last Sunday? Titians starting C/G from last year and all Bannerbardi could find is O'Neil Cousins????? How is this guy a professional football player??

I have no problem trading Richardson....in fact, I think we got a lot more than he was worth. The problem is our great history of first tound draft picks. Here we go again....draft a qb in the first round.....if he doesn't set the world on fire in his first season, then start looking to draft another one.

Seeing as how our best RB has a broken leg, in the long run this isn't a bad move.

It shows me two things:

1. Our current FO wasn't impressed in the least with Heckert's efforts to build a team.

2. See ya next year--2 games in and the FO has decided to rip the bandage off

and flush this season down the toilet.

I'm with Mik in the sense that I'm no longer 17 and am beginning to accept that there

is a better than good chance that I'm never going to see a winner in Cleveland. Having

said that, it's obvious that the current regime has decided that the "same shit, different day"

outlook has to end. They see no reason to hold on to an ineffective #3 for no other

reason than he was a #3 pick. And I hope Weeden enjoyed his playing time in Cleveland

because the only way he's going to see the field again in a Browns uni is if Hoyer and

Campbell go down.

My wife is happy--I can no longer get out of doing needed chores around the house with

the excuse "I'm watching the Browns".

I'll see everyone on Draft Day.

I have seen so many posts about how easy it is to get a good QB and RBs are a dime a dozen. Cooll! Now, why don't we have either? Trent was 3.5 a carry here with a pretty bad O line. Add 1 yard to that avg. and he looks pretty good. Maybe a line that blocks for him will help that. I hope they stock up on Guards and Tackles because after all, QBs and RBs are cheap.

How is getting a 1st round pick for a bust rb that can be replaced by any RB for 3 yards a carry tanking the season?

It would have been nice if they would have said, "Well, we see a large upside in Bobby Rainey and we think he can fill that need nicely" instead of laughing at the question as to "Who are you going to have play running back?" and saying they have Willis coming in from the geriatric ward.

Or how about leap frogging the 2nd string QB that they brought in to compete for the QB job and giving it to Brian Hoyer.... Basically saying they couldn't bring in a 2nd string that is worth playing.

Whether anybody wants to say it in the front office or not they are tanking the season

I mean it is what it is, and there isn't a damn thing any of us are going to do about it, and maybe 3 years from now it will pay off, but the track record says otherwise and when the team is 2 games into the season and their is no reason to watch the rest of the year as they are starting guys that came in of the streets its deflating for fans that look forward to the football season all year long.

dude that offensive coordinator now with the jets is going to beat you twice this year.

Dude, that offensive coordinator got fired, and is now the Oakland Raiders O-Line coach. That makes your projection highly unlikely.

But, yes, the Jets are the Jets. The Fins and the Jets always end up in stupid nail-biters, regardless of talent.

1) I think the coaching staff would have done it sooner if he had been healthy enough during pre-season. Remember the phrase "We are keeping him fresh"? That means, we are keeping him from getting an injury as we shop him throughout the league. This was probably decided on months and months ago. This explains a lot IMO and why TRich was only getting 11-15 carries in the 1st two games.

2) Lots of reasons. Unfortunately neither you or I are on the calls when these go down, so it's only speculation. But TRich hasn't shown a ton. Decent season last year playing with broken or bruised ribs. Still injury prone IMO, at least the reputation is there. And he's not blowing people up like we thought. 1 first round pick for another, I'm OK at this point.

3) This season? At this point 1-15 or 3-13 is what we get. Any more and I will be surprised. The real question is going to be who are we drafting as a QB next year. That's what this is all about.

Next year, with half a dozen picks in the top 100, we'll be fine - it'll maybe take a while to get everything clicking, but we have the ability to go and get good players (execution is another thing, of course). But you can't help but feel we're trying to "create a talent void for Boyd" or any number of catchy slogans way better than 'suck for luck'

again....no he didn't dickwad he was fired...He never coach in Baltimore

come back when you know what the hell your talking about

the moment operations stopped for the Browns in Cleveland, was MOMENT they became Baltimore's team....

In Belichick's last season in Cleveland the Browns finished 5–11, despite starting 3-1. In November of that year in the middle of the ongoing football season, Browns owner Art Modell had announced he would move his franchise to Baltimore after the season. After first being given assurances that he would coach the transplanted Baltimore Ravens, Belichick instead was fired on February 15, 1996—one week after the shift was officially announced.[8] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Belichick

yea good coach -going 3-1 til Modell dropped that bomb on us fans.... playoffs the year before beating Parcells / Pats at the muni...

I dont live in Cleveland either, but you dont have your facts straight pal

fans didnt chase Belichick out of town, rather we were pissed he released Kosar -

asshat

It would have been nice if they would have said, "Well, we see a large upside in Bobby Rainey and we think he can fill that need nicely" instead of laughing at the question as to "Who are you going to have play running back?" and saying they have Willis coming in from the geriatric ward.

Or how about leap frogging the 2nd string QB that they brought in to compete for the QB job and giving it to Brian Hoyer.... Basically saying they couldn't bring in a 2nd string that is worth playing.

Whether anybody wants to say it in the front office or not they are tanking the season

I mean it is what it is, and there isn't a damn thing any of us are going to do about it, and maybe 3 years from now it will pay off, but the track record says otherwise and when the team is 2 games into the season and their is no reason to watch the rest of the year as they are starting guys that came in of the streets its deflating for fans that look forward to the football season all year long.

Any RB can get 3 yards a carry. It was a great move by the new regime that saw how terrible the last regimes draft was. It didn't put us into any deeper a hole than we are now. In fact it actaully made things better for the future. The present stays the same, Richardson SUCKED!

Carson Palmer had a passer rating of 80.5 in 2011 and got traded to the Raiders for a 1st and 2nd round pick. That second round pick was conditional, and would have been another 1st round pick if the Raiders had made the playoffs in 2012.

Dude. Get it through your head. A quarterback with limited success is>>>>>>>>>more valuable than a running back who can get three yards. We don't need Trent Richardson. Hopefully he does well in Indy but if he doesnt I hope you're here to say you were wrong and way too personally hurt over the trade and you probably shouldn't have taken that cyanide pill.

Read this. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23721420/a-first-round-pick-for-trent-richardson-no-brainer-for-browns

One exec I respect deeply, who has watched Richardson closely during his brief NFL career, expressed his initial reaction to this deal: "The Colts panicked. A first-round pick? I don't believe it."

A scout who did plenty of work on Richardson was flabbergasted by the deal: "Weird trade by Indy," he sent via text. "A first for an adequate back with injury issues? They could get that player next year in the mid to late rounds. Get an adequate dude for a later pick. Everyone has depth at that position."

One GM asked who the Browns were going to go with at running back, and I explained they were bringing in free agent Willis McGahee. His response: "Why didn't the Colts do that first before giving up a 1?"

Archived