THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

I'm thinkin McCarron.

But if you look closer, and watch them play...

I like Sean Mannion, Oregon State, and Hogan, Stanford,

as qb's to pick outside of the first round.

Hundley really didn't impress me as a pro qb. He's more

Vick, without any accuracy.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody said that.

I said see what we have with Hoyer and take a mid round prospect like Bortles. You know, the guy who beat Bridgewater and played better to boot.

Or we can just trade up to take a guy who's half the QB Jameis has been and a couple years older. That's fine. That's actually a perfect Browns move in all honesty.

but what happens if hoyer comes back, leads us to a 9-7 season? with a backup now on the roster that you suggested.

that means we'd land in the middle of the pack in the first and would have to trade the farm to get famous amos.

it's not a good scenario either way. yeah, too bad the guy isn't goingto be available next year in the draft but you can't plan your team around "well we might get this guy in a year or two.

and you say i know nothing about football?

but what happens if hoyer comes back, leads us to a 9-7 season? with a backup now on the roster that you suggested.

that means we'd land in the middle of the pack in the first and would have to trade the farm to get famous amos.

it's not a good scenario either way. yeah, too bad the guy isn't goingto be available next year in the draft but you can't plan your team around "well we might get this guy in a year or two.

and you say i know nothing about football?

At this point, however, Jameis seems like the QB you should trade the farm for. If we go 9-7 with Hoyer net season, I can all but guarantee the FO won't even have QB on their radar in the draft.

An unlikely scenario, but here's what I would suggest:

We use our two first round picks on, say, WR (Watkins or Adams) and OG. We use our second on RB. We trade a third (and whatever else) for next years second, use the other third on CB. Take a defelopmental QB in the 4th, do whatever for the rest of the draft. After the draft, we trade Gordon (plus whatever) for a first round pick in the following year.

That would leave us with two first round picks, two second round picks and a third round pick in the 2015 draft, a rookie 1st round WR, a 1st round OG, a new RB to pair with Lewis and a developmental guy to sit and learn a la Hoyer.

Hoyer starts for us, gets 8-9 wins. Jameis declares for the draft. We're picking at #16. We package both firsts and a second plus a 2016 first round pick to move up and take Jameis. We trade one third rounder (and whatever) for a 2016 second.

Then we'll have our franchise QB. A #1 WR. a solid OL. An athletic veteran TE. A shifty speedster RB a la Shady. A complement RB. And a stout defense. And we'll still have two seconds, a third, a fourth, a fifth, a sixth, and a seventh in the next draft.

It's like we'd be getting our franchise QB at the expensive of one 2016 first round draft pick.

This all hinges on resigning Mack this offseason, and Hoyer, Haden and Cameron next offseason.

You say that like it's a good thing...

Hundley looked dismal... scratch him. However, I did like a couple of the UCLA LBs, e.g., Barr.

Marshall, the Ducks' RB, impressed. Mariota did not... but will watch again.

Earlier:

• Boyd looked bad and he got dinged.
  • Bridgewater still looks like a twig waiting to be snapped into two.
  • Manziel's shoulder looked just fine.

Out of all the QBs I have seen this year, only two have looked to be reading defenses (and I don't mean whether the DE is closing)...

Manziel and McCarron.

You know.... kinda like we saw in Hoyer for 5 minutes...

To my eye all the rest, everyone else in this alledgedly "elite" class of 2014 is looking for open receivers. You know... like Wheezy.

Throwers look for open receivers...

QBs look for openings in the Defense...

Please.... no mo' throwers... at least not in the first round.

I agree on all counts. I just don't see Hundley AT ALL! I'm not seeing in him 2 factors I consider vital in a solid QB....intelligence & accuracy.

I like AJ & Manziel is growing on me real fast...ESPECIALLY if Hoyer returns healthy, as I fully expect.

Mike

Well, Canton Mike is worrying me. He's been thinking Manziel, and now I'm

agreeing with him. That is, Manziel is just a kid. Of course he's a bit immature.

Not so much a red mark as drugs, violence, locker room butthead, prima donna.

I've been thinking Manziel is a goof, could be a character problem in the locker room, etc. Immature....

But, on the field, he certainly seems to have the support of his teammates and coaches.

And, on the field, he may be the smartest qb in this draft. But after this last game,

I saw Manziel get his shoulder hurt on a big hit. It was really bothering him.

That kid went right back out there, and with his arm hurting him, he kept

throwing very accurate passes. He really is a tremendous player. He's fearless.

After the game, ..they lost, their defense couldn't stop another score.

And Manziel looked very, very down and disappointed.

I believe, that Manziel has that fire, qb IQ, and sees the field and

makes great decisions, and has a very serious desire to WIN. Doesn't have that cannon arm? I'd be happy to trade Weeden for a 2nd round draft pick, if possible, as a backup qb somewhere else, before the draft next year.

Maybe, the best thing the Browns could do...is to actually draft Manziel,

AND move up a little from the low second pick....and draft Evans, his wr.

Changing my mind, a bit, about Manziel. It's still way, way early.

An unlikely scenario, but here's what I would suggest: ...

This all hinges on resigning Mack this offseason, and Hoyer, Haden and Cameron next offseason.

Well thought out scenario (quote edited for space), but it also hinges on the team with the #1 overall either:

- not needing a QB (unlikely); and/ or

- not sharing your view on Jameis.

If Jameis comes out a slamdunk, consensus, can't miss QB, then the latter is not likely either.

Manziel sure looks great in college but he's a punk and I just don't like him.

I was feeling the same way... see below...

I believe, that Manziel has that fire, qb IQ, and sees the field and makes great decisions, and has a very serious desire to WIN. Doesn't have that cannon arm? I'd be happy to trade Weeden for a 2nd round draft pick, if possible, as a backup qb somewhere else, before the draft next year.

Maybe, the best thing the Browns could do...is to actually draft Manziel, AND move up a little from the low second pick....and draft Evans, his wr.

Changing my mind, a bit, about Manziel. It's still way, way early.

What I see now in Manziel is a kid who loves to play the game and happens to be damn good at it.

I also see a leader.

A couple weeks ago I noted in a post that during a last-second, game-winning FG attempt a young kid (coach's son or such) sought out Johnny to be with him during that critical play. When the kid approached Manziel and knelt beside him, Johnny beamed. That was the moment that my opinion started to change.

And it could be Manziel that falls to our 2nd first rounder. And if not, there is always McCarron down a round or two.

As for Evans... I still want to see his agility tested.

Well thought out scenario (quote edited for space), but it also hinges on the team with the #1 overall either:

- not needing a QB (unlikely); and/ or

- not sharing your view on Jameis.

If Jameis comes out a slamdunk, consensus, can't miss QB, then the latter is not likely either.

I was feeling the same way... see below...

What I see now in Manziel is a kid who loves to play the game and happens to be damn good at it.

I also see a leader.

A couple weeks ago I noted in a post that during a last-second, game-winning FG attempt a young kid (coach's son or such) sought out Johnny to be with him during that critical play. When the kid approached Manziel and knelt beside him, Johnny beamed. That was the moment that my opinion started to change.

And it could be Manziel that falls to our 2nd first rounder. And if not, there is always McCarron down a round or two.

As for Evans... I still want to see his agility tested.

I was assuming two things:

1) all the teams "in need" of a franchise QB would be taking a run at one this season. There are possibly four first round QB's, and I don't imagine there are more than four teams out there are completely without a QB they feel good about. It's a near certainty Jacksonville takes a QB. I would assume that Minnesota may as well, but I can also see them sticking with Freeman for a year. I believe. The Rams probably take a QB. The Bucs probably will, I don't believe they see Glennon as a starter. The Texans probably will, too. The Falcons won't. The Giants won't, not in the first round at least. The Redskins won't. The Bills won't. The Dolphins won't. The Steelers won't. The Jets won't. The Ravens won't. The Raiders wont. Those are all teams that have records worse than or similar to ours.

That's 5 teams probably in the market for a QB. Freeman will probably start for one of those teams. Cousins may start for another. That leaves either 3-4 teams looking to address QB in the draft. If Manziel, Mariota, Bridgewater and Hundley all come out, that's four "franchise" QB's for the 3-4 teams looking.

2) three first round picks and a second (or two) is too good a deal to pass up. There aren't many teams that would pass that up. Especially a team that has either a young QB, or a proven older vet QB but a lot of missing pieces... and the team finishing with the #1 pick after next season will likely be one of those teams.

Hell, if it were the other way around, I'd be upset with the Browns for passing up a deal like that. Especially if they already had a QB they felt good about.

It'll be a pick in the top five after the trade. Mariota's been "good?" Are you on crack? He's been absolutely amazing!!

I'd almost bet the farm the Browns do everything possible, trade just about anything, to get up to Bridgewater or Mariota. They'd be top five picks in any draft of the past five years. They're legit.

I get a little more nervous after that. I could see Chorv falling in love with Mettenberger, though.

I watched more college football than normal yesterday and wasn't impressed with any of them. Manziel sure looks great in college but he's a punk and I just don't like him.

With our luck and QB's from Texas (the State, not the University), I'd pass on Manziel.

I can see Chud and co. avoiding Mettenberger - he's a talent, but Metten has "DA" written all over him.

Some experts say he really needs to improve his reading the field, and accuracy. Big stature, big arm.

Surely smarter, seems to be a good bit more fiery than DA, but then again, a possum would be more

fiery than DA.

I can't remember where it was, but someone described Mettenburger as 'being big enough to take a hit and having the strongest arm in the class' - well, we've already got a guy like that. He's shit. Gonna need more than that to convince me.

It'll be a pick in the top five after the trade. Mariota's been "good?" Are you on crack? He's been absolutely amazing!!

I'd almost bet the farm the Browns do everything possible, trade just about anything, to get up to Bridgewater or Mariota. They'd be top five picks in any draft of the past five years. They're legit.

I get a little more nervous after that. I could see Chorv falling in love with Mettenberger, though.

If he were "amazing" I'd casually hear more people fawn over him than you. And I listen to sports talk radio just about all day.

anymore I really don't want to hear about a qb's physical gifts like speed or arm strength or can he hit someone's butthole from 20 yds out. We've been regaled with all these combine stats for years from these fantasy league playing dooshbags. What I want to know, and don't know about any of those qb's coming out next year....is can they read defense's? Can they figure out what's coming pre snap and make the adjustment? Luck has it. Does RG even have it? Or did he make it look like he did cause he can buy himself time with his wheels? We all know now that qb's that rely solely on their wheels have a limited run in the NFL. Luck is going to be around as long as Manning. RG may not be in the league in 3 years. It sucks but it is what it is. Vick was the exception to that rule but that's only because I think he did nothing but study defense in prison. But yeah he's hurt again too.

Boyd is a stoner and the one QB I don't want to see the browns take. My buddies smoke with him all off season, hes waiting to get paid. The eagles contacted him after last season and Vick had a 1 on 1 talk with him about taking over the team.

Boyd is a stoner and the one QB I don't want to see the browns take. My buddies smoke with him all off season, hes waiting to get paid. The eagles contacted him after last season and Vick had a 1 on 1 talk with him about taking over the team.

I see him in the inlet in the offseason, and I've never heard that about him.

It would surprise me, most kids are.

I'm only 24 and I'm calling people kids, fuck.

Deads top priority wasn't the music.....it was the marketing of their brand. They were inducted into Cheech and Chong's Dopers Hall of Fame in 1997.

Johnny Cash was the youngest ever inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame at the age of 48. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1992. He had forgotten more about music than NIN could ever comprehend when he did one of their covers. Johnny lived through the tough times he sang about. He understood the human condition and it's translation into music.

I agree man. Johnny walked the walk. He was a early rocker with Elvis......Elvis dabbled in Country and Gospel afterwards, Johnny dabbled in Rock and Gospel afterwards, and both are in all 3 HOF's. You may not get him, you may not even like the music, but to question the talent is more than stupid....it's like saying Frank Sinatra sucked.

Johnny walked down paths not many could...that pic was posted after he won a Grammy for Best Country album, when pop Country had long abandonded him,......a classic pic even if from many years before when he was protesting prison conditions and prisoner treatment.

The "Man in Black" still walks tall in my eyes.

Johnny covered a lot of songs no doubt. It takes one HELL of a artist to make them HIS songs.

Just saying.

He's getting a lot of love based on his growth arc from last year to this year. He's pretty consistently accurate all over the field, unlike either DA or Weeds, which is why he'll probably end up in the top half of the first round.

He's not on my short list but I see him going pretty high. Carr, too.

I can't remember where it was, but someone described Mettenburger as 'being big enough to take a hit and having the strongest arm in the class' - well, we've already got a guy like that. He's shit. Gonna need more than that to convince me.

That's funny, because yesterday on Sportscenter Jameis Winston was the frontrunner.

Top 10 Heisman Poll according to ESPN Experts via College Gameday's twitter this afternoon:

1) Mariota

2) Winston

3) Manziel

4) Petty

5) Gordon

6) McCarron

7) Carey

8) Mannion

9) Seastrunk

10) Boyd

What color is Met's hair?

Does RG even have it? Or did he make it look like he did cause he can buy himself time with his wheels?

1. No

2. Yes

I'm only 24 and I'm calling people kids, fuck.

Tempus fugit...

Top 10 Heisman Poll according to ESPN Experts via College Gameday's twitter this afternoon:

1) Mariota

2) Winston

3) Manziel

4) Petty

5) Gordon

6) McCarron

7) Carey

8) Mannion

9) Seastrunk

10) Boyd

Where is Braxton Miller? I guess missing a couple of games hurt him.

Where is Braxton Miller? I guess missing a couple of games hurt him.

He's also just not that good. I can admit it.

He's a better thrower than Pryor, but he's nowhere near the physical specimen Pryor was nor is he as mobile or as much of a playmaker.

With that said, he still may be able to find success in the NFL.

I like MIller... and not just because he's a Buckeye. But Braxton is already damaged goods. What's his concussion count now? Three? Missing games kinda keeps you off of the Heisman list.

To my eye when he has been on the field, Miller's been an upgrade over Pryor, who I just never "got". Guiton as well for that matter, although Guiton is much in the mold of Pryor.

That said, Pryor protects himself much better on the run than Miller. To say I have been amazed at his success with the Raiders is an understatement.

Archived