THE BROWNS BOARD

Cheap Shot Stealers Weather Burfict Storm

Pumpkin Eater

If there were other coaches on the field why is only one coach looking at getting fined over it? The answer is that coach Joey Porter was out there causing trouble:

Bengals call Steelers' Joey Porter ‘embarrassment' to coaching

“To me that’s not what an NFL coach is as a professional,” defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said. “I think it’s an embarrassment to the coaching profession.”

Guenther watched video of Porter in the previous game between the two teams standing on the sidelines talking trash to the Bengals defenders even though the Steelers defense was meeting behind him. The coordinator says he was frustrated to the point he approached Porter before the game and asked for him to stop talking to Bengals players during the game.

“I asked him nicely, said, ‘Joey, this is supposed to be a clean game, two divisional opponents, a playoff game. I told my guys I don’t want any talking or any bull on the field. Do me a favor, don’t talk to our players I won't talk to your players,’” Guenther said. “Well, at the end of the battle that son of a (expletive) is standing in the middle of the field.”

Guenther was far from alone in taking on the Steelers’ coach.

“I respect all opponents,” said tackle Andrew Whitworth. “I always have. I have a ton of respect for the Steelers. (Coach Mike) Tomlin and I had a big hug at the end of the game, just apologizing for everything that happened. I've got a ton of respect for those guys. Joey Porter is not one of them. He's not one of the guys I respect very much. He's a guy that has always run his mouth. He's always been disrespectful to people. In the first game here, he was out at midfield M-Fing everybody, wanting to fight. And then doing that in this game. He's not a football player anymore, he's a coach, so he's got to be held to a higher standard. I think the unprofessionalism he's shown is just ridiculous. It really is. So that's unfortunate.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/11/bengals-criticize-steelers-assistant-coach-joey-porter/78641112/

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe you're just another butthurt moron.

Steeler penalties - 10 for 142 yds., Bengals 8-79...and 2 of those occurred toward the end of the game when 2 Bengal thugs lost control, losing it for their team.

And since you're so butthurt about one Steeler coach being on the field...

160ej3p.jpg

Furthermore, can we put to rest Shaziers hit?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/11/shazier-non-call-was-the-right-call/

It isn't the fact that he was on the field per se....it was the fact that when on the field he instigated a fracas with the players on the other team.

If there were other coaches on the field why is only one coach looking at getting fined over it? The answer is that coach Joey Porter was out there causing trouble:

Bengals call Steelers' Joey Porter ‘embarrassment' to coaching

“To me that’s not what an NFL coach is as a professional,” defensive coordinator Paul Guenther said. “I think it’s an embarrassment to the coaching profession.”

Guenther watched video of Porter in the previous game between the two teams standing on the sidelines talking trash to the Bengals defenders even though the Steelers defense was meeting behind him. The coordinator says he was frustrated to the point he approached Porter before the game and asked for him to stop talking to Bengals players during the game.

“I asked him nicely, said, ‘Joey, this is supposed to be a clean game, two divisional opponents, a playoff game. I told my guys I don’t want any talking or any bull on the field. Do me a favor, don’t talk to our players I won't talk to your players,’” Guenther said. “Well, at the end of the battle that son of a (expletive) is standing in the middle of the field.”

Guenther was far from alone in taking on the Steelers’ coach.

“I respect all opponents,” said tackle Andrew Whitworth. “I always have. I have a ton of respect for the Steelers. (Coach Mike) Tomlin and I had a big hug at the end of the game, just apologizing for everything that happened. I've got a ton of respect for those guys. Joey Porter is not one of them. He's not one of the guys I respect very much. He's a guy that has always run his mouth. He's always been disrespectful to people. In the first game here, he was out at midfield M-Fing everybody, wanting to fight. And then doing that in this game. He's not a football player anymore, he's a coach, so he's got to be held to a higher standard. I think the unprofessionalism he's shown is just ridiculous. It really is. So that's unfortunate.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/01/11/bengals-criticize-steelers-assistant-coach-joey-porter/78641112/

I would prefer that this come from a more neutral source....even if it is accurate.

I would prefer that this come from a more neutral source....even if it is accurate.

"The bottom line is Porter -- a notably, ahem, chatty player when he was in the NFL -- has no business being in the Bengals' defensive huddle and talking with opposing players out in the middle of the field while there's game action going on."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25444526/report-joey-porter-facing-fine-for-saturday-nights-bengals-steelers-game

Steeler penalties - 10 for 142 yds., Bengals 8-79...and 2 of those occurred toward the end of the game when 2 Bengal thugs lost control, losing it for their team.

160ej3p.jpg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/11/shazier-non-call-was-the-right-call/

Only if you accept it was a deliberate hit with the top of the helmet that could have caused serious damage, that should have been penalised, and for which Shazier personally apologised to Bernard afterwards. Notice by the way on the film of the game when Bernard is on the ground Munchak is also on the pitch trash talking to Kevin Huber.

I totally accept the Bengals lost control over their emotions at a critical point of the game, for which they must accept responsibility, and learn a lesson. The Steelers played Burfict and Jones. Burfict's mistake was that he had the opportunity to avoid the hit and didn't take it. Otherwise he was in a great position to do his job, which was to make sure Brown didn't catch the ball and win the game. Committed to the hit Burfict clearly leads with his shoulder and Brown leans into him to make sure of it and then does some impressive ballet moves before collapsing on the ground faking a bad injury and as he is walking on the field he winks at the Bengals players. Job done.

Porter then seizes his opportunity to try and wind up the Bengals players further. Worth a try, after all they are hot heads that have proven they can let their emotions get the better of them. So he trash talks in the middle of the Bengals players and gets his flag. Steelers win the game.

Steelers have been cheap shots artists and thugs for years. So when Lewis takes over, his long strategy to compete with them for the AFC North is to beat them up in the trenches and draft really aggressive LB and S. This has been a very successful strategy. Bengals should have won the AFC North for the last 3 years. Steelers can't really handle this, they are used to dominating the AFC North. So they have to compete any way they can, by stigmatising very talented players as aggressive to the press, over reacting to hits by those players and if needs be breaking the rules by faking injuries and letting assistant coaches run on the field.

It's a lesson for the Browns too. Hopefully the Browns can build up a really competitive team and we can have a situation where it is the Bengals and Browns competing for the division, as I have absolutely no respect for the Steelers and the Ravens. Both really classless franchises that I take a lot of pleasure out of seeing beaten up, but with legal hits and I'd take even greater pleasure seeing this done by players who maintain their poise and control.

160ej3p.jpg

No one gives a shit if the guy is on the field muddling around, but when a coach of the opposing team is deliberately in the mix and causing trouble that's completely different.

He will get fined for it as a result and it should have been flagged which could have easily resulted in a Steelers loss. There's no grey area there, it's an objective fact. I really don't have a strong hatred of the Steelers as much as others but I'm sick and tired of refs screwing this stuff up. I'm just as mad as I was when say Seattle was gifted a win against Detroit with a batted ball. Bottom line-there's dozens of plays that are close calls and perhaps missed, and then there are egregious missed calls like this. The NFL wouldn't be fining Porter if it weren't the case.

Exactly...

1. And since you're so butthurt about one Steeler coach being on the field...

2. Furthermore, can we put to rest Shaziers hit?

1. Assuming those are all Bengal coaches you have circled (which is highly doubtful), let me ask you the following: How many Steeler players might any of your circles also encompass? As stated in the prior post, it's Porter's interactions with the Bengals players that are his offense, not his mere presence on the field of play.

2. Short answer... no... and here's why...

Your end-all, referred article states:

Second, the ban against use of the crown of the helmet doesnt apply in a bang-bang situation. It requires the person delivering the blow with the crown of the helmet to line up the target. While close, thats not what happened between Bernard and Shazier.

This statement is wrong on two counts: it misstates the rule and misinterprets the action on the field.

Here is the rule in it's entirety:

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET. It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive teams end line).

Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Please show me where any allowance is made for a "bang-bang play."

Second, the article says Shazier did not "line-up the target". The claim is absurd. Here is a screenshot of Shazier breaking at the release of the pass and beginning his run at Bernard a full six-yards away.

post-2853-0-76039100-1452631866_thumb.jpg

Running the video forward shows Shazier dips his head while he is still one to two-yards from impact and further dips just prior to impact. I've included several angles in case you are extra resistant to the truth...

post-2853-0-92304000-1452631888_thumb.jpgpost-2853-0-14067400-1452631964_thumb.jpgpost-2853-0-72115800-1452631973_thumb.jpgpost-2853-0-51556700-1452631983_thumb.jpgpost-2853-0-88967900-1452632006_thumb.jpg

All photos are taken from this video clip: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000620170/Ryan-Shazier-takes-down-Gio-Bernard-causes-fumble

How's your butt feel now?

Only if you accept it was a deliberate hit with the top of the helmet that could have caused serious damage...

No comment other than once again you prove how civilized Brits are when it comes to arguing... or damn near anything else...

The Steelers own the AFC North, the rest of you are battling for second. SIX.... eat that .... six

The classic childish response of "I can't respond to being outwitted in an argument so I'll stick my tongue out and taunt". Keep making the Steelers fan base proud my man.

Steelers fan doesn't realize his team lost the division. Perfect. And didn't the Jets dumbasses let the Steelers in? They are seriously the worst team in the playoffs save perhaps for Houston and only because of Hoyer. If Houston had a halfway decent QB this pgh team would be one of the worst playoff teams to get in for some time. Only reason they did get in is because of how weak the North is right now save for Cincy. Blt and Cleveland are in the top 3 worst teams in the NFL. And didn't the Steelers still lose a key game to Blt a few weeks ago?

Humiliated by the ratbirds would be more accurate Clevfan4life ?. As you rightly point out they are only there because the Jets lost their nerve and the Bungals their patience. Shoddy team, disgraceful franchise.

Browns fan doesn't realize that the Steelers have owned the division the past 40 years. Browns fan hates the Bengals, but now is considering rooting for them since they are in Ohio and maybe if they had 2 teams to root for their would be a better shot of enjoying some success.

Browns fan doesn't realize they live in a very weird state with very bitter people. Browns fan doesn't realize their only thing to look forward to come football season is rooting against the Steelers. Browns fan doesn't realize we Steelers fans are mostly happy. Win another Super Bowl, OK. But I have seen enough already, doesn't really matter all that much.

So much bitterness and hatred by whiney Browns fans when Harrison was knocking your players out in 2012. I always had a great deal of respect of your franchise and fanbase, but that one year changed it all. Every football website had Browns fans begging for a change to football and you alone caused the game to become sissified. Damn you and your hypocrite fan base... LMB

Browns fan doesn't realize that the Steelers have owned the division the past 40 years. Browns fan hates the Bengals, but now is considering rooting for them since they are in Ohio and maybe if they had 2 teams to root for their would be a better shot of enjoying some success.

Browns fan doesn't realize they live in a very weird state with very bitter people. Browns fan doesn't realize their only thing to look forward to come football season is rooting against the Steelers. Browns fan doesn't realize we Steelers fans are mostly happy. Win another Super Bowl, OK. But I have seen enough already, doesn't really matter all that much.

So much bitterness and hatred by whiney Browns fans when Harrison was knocking your players out in 2012. I always had a great deal of respect of your franchise and fanbase, but that one year changed it all. Every football website had Browns fans begging for a change to football and you alone caused the game to become sissified. Damn you and your hypocrite fan base... LMB

So? Ohioans are whiney? That means Harrison is whiney......he went to HS about 2 miles from me.

Chuck Noll must be whiney.

Jack Lambert must be whiney.

And you are stupid as fuck if you think the Browns had anything to do with the concussion protocol. They have a movie out right now about the subject.

And it was the consequences to Steeler players like Courson and Webster that helped that cause.

And there was the death of Junior Seau.

And the Billion dollar lawsuit.

Now you know why Steeler fans are considered the most ignorant in the league. Because they don't know the history of the league..or even of their own team.

Stupid is as stupid does....and no one does stupid like Steeler fan.

Browns fan hates the Bengals, but now is considering rooting for them since they are in Ohio...

Ummmm... this just in.... they've always been in Ohio.

Inbreeding does take a toll...

See what i'm saying? It was all fine when Harrison was head hunting, the rest of us were just sissies blah blah.Now that it happens to them..weeelllllll now hold on a second there ngr Burfict you can't go around doing all that now....

THis is why i'd be all for having a player like Burfict on the team. At this point i'd rather lose like boss, as the Bengals did on Sunday, than skate a win by through the backdoor and run out of town with tails tucked. I want jail ngrs like Burfict on the Browns. Not chicken shit cheap shot artists, not all things Burfict does i agree with........but imagine if Burfict was on our team when Hill jumped into our stands and Kirksey or Dansby was like hey now just a minute there young man you come down from there this instant!! Burfict would have yanked Hill out of our stands by his dick. I'd like that on our team.

Steelers fan doesn't realize his team lost the division. Perfect. And didn't the Jets dumbasses let the Steelers in? They are seriously the worst team in the playoffs save perhaps for Houston and only because of Hoyer. If Houston had a halfway decent QB this pgh team would be one of the worst playoff teams to get in for some time. Only reason they did get in is because of how weak the North is right now save for Cincy. Blt and Cleveland are in the top 3 worst teams in the NFL. And didn't the Steelers still lose a key game to Blt a few weeks ago?

I'll take all of that because it sucks worse to be you....you wish the browns were the worst team playing this weekend ..

Oh how you cried like a baby when the 2007 10-6 browns didn't get help from the Tony Dungy led Colts. Recall Dungy threw the last game of the season to rest his players. They lost leaving the browns out and fans butthurt.

Yeah the Steelers backed in, but its not like they were 9-7 or 8-8.

A 10-6 record is deserving of a play-off spot just like it was for the 2007 browns. Anything less and I would be the first to admit the Steelers didn't belong there.

Wouldn't a Steelers Packers Super Bowl to help commemorate the events 50th anniversary be awesome? The Steelers with the most Super Bowl championships and the Pack with the most combined.

The classic childish response of "I can't respond to being outwitted in an argument so I'll stick my tongue out and taunt". Keep making the Steelers fan base proud my man.

In response to his 6, why didn't you just shoot back with the browns 8?...oops my bad, you guys never go with that childish response.

A prime example that anal sex can result in pregnancy

A prime example that anal sex can result in pregnancy

OOOOkay... but I don't see how you deduced that from what he was saying.

I'll tell you what I deduced from his post though...that squealer fans pretend that the first 40yrs. of Steelers history never happened!!!!!!!!lol

Right flyingfool???

Only a Steelers fan would think Harrison isn't a thug who richly deserved to get fined for deliberately targeting opposing players. Tooo bad he's getting close to Social Security age, and is slowing down. Harrison didn't start the tactic, but he was the last practitioner of it. FWIW, I consider Burfect a thug too.

In case you think I'm only picking on poor nice polite Steelers- I have a long memory.

"Willie Lanier was known as Contact, a name coined by Chiefs' teammate Jerry Mays in 1967. As Lanier remembered: "Since I unfortunately followed the style of tackling that we were taught at that time - that was to use your head first of hitting players in the middle of their body. It was done in a rather aggressive manner".

Sorry, this isn't the 60s anymore where you could pretty much do anything you wanted, short of killing someone- and Jack Tatum came close when he paralyzed Darryl Stingley. Chop blocks, crack backs, head slaps- remember those? If still legal today you'd have 1\2 your roster on IR after 6-8 games.

Heard Howie Long today- and his opinion is something had to be done-payers today are just too big and fast. Oh, and he mentioned Bradshaw's o-line averaged 250 pounds- today that's more like 310.

Um you've 1\2 owned the division, since the suck edition of the Browns returned in 1999, the Ravens have won as many Super Bowls as the Steelers.

So if you only want to claim 40 recent years of greatness, let me remind you before 1970, the Steelers sucked even worse than the current editions of the Browns.

Um you've 1\2 owned the division, since the suck edition of the Browns returned in 1999, the Ravens have won as many Super Bowls as the Steelers.

So if you only want to claim 40 recent years of greatness, let me remind you before 1970, the Steelers sucked even worse than the current editions of the Browns.

LOL, I knew it.

Like he was around in 1942. Who gives a fuck. You're living your browns suckdom dude.

The dudes probably old enough to have watched the Steelers play in 8 Super Bowls and you expect him to "remember" the 1950's...what the fuck for? Because you want him to be miserable like you? Ain't ever happening. That's loser talk.

The Steelers have owned this division...whether it be the AFC Central or AFC North... since the formation of the new league in 1970....the era you are living in. That's all you need to know.

Archived