THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Kaepernick Rumors

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.

Kaepernick is a read option qb. If you want a read option offense he's a good one otherwise he's average at best but can only understand basic pass routes from the wr's. He did well learning when Harbaugh was the HC and the reason is because of the read option plus they could run the ball as well then.

This. Kap can't run a pro style offense. Such a waste of our resources and time unless we want to totally convert to a read option type of offense... which was big in 2012 but these days DC's have taken the bite out of that system in a big way. Gimmicky offenses never have longevity. Kaepernick is one stop away from being a journeyman back up and I'm really not interested in us being his last starting gig that he face plants in. Kap can fuck right off, he's not the solution for us.

He needs to be on a team like the Broncos where he can be a game manager and has plenty of talent to minimize his role and bail him out. If he comes to Cleveland he has to be able be "the guy" and it's not going to end well for him.

Kaepernick is a read option qb. If you want a read option offense he's a good one otherwise he's average at best but can only understand basic pass routes from the wr's. He did well learning when Harbaugh was the HC and the reason is because of the read option plus they could run the ball as well then.

I seem to remember Dalton running some read option in Cinci last season...

Just more ammunition to steer clear from this guy....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645131/article/does-colin-kaepernick-deserve-another-chance

From the article:

"The secret was out on how to stop Kaepernick. He was often forced to roll to his left and didn't respond well. Opposing defenses saw many of the 49ers' bootlegs coming. Kaepernick started eight games in 2015; the team scored seven points or less in four of them, with only a field goal in two of those contests. The 49ers had more punts than first downs in his game against Seattle. It wasn't modern football." Sort of sounds like (in a different way) when opposing DCs figured out Derek Anderson.

BTW, the Broncos apparently think Kap is only worth a 4th round pick, around 70 slots LOWER than what the Browns are (stupidly) willing to give up for a reclamation project. MHO is the Broncs have Kap valued correctly.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644196/article/broncos-believe-kaepernick-is-worth-fourthround-pick

Kap should be worth far more to the Broncos than us. They have a lot of talent in place already on both sides of the ball, they have a reliable running game with CJ Anderson back, they have a dominant defense, they can let Kap be their game manager and probably have some success with him in a minimized role. We don't have shit for him here to make his life easier, he won't even have a game to manage here. There just isn't enough talent for him to have success so why even bother?

Well their proofreading certainly is shat....

The Browns are still searching for a franchise QB, but are only willing to five up a third-round pick for Kaepernick...

Have to say that I do dread every time this thread pops up boldfaced...

Now that I see what our FO is doing - a full reset with younger players, I no longer am on the Kaepernick train...... It no longer makes any sense. Barring injury, Josh McCown will play equally as well as Kap, so there is absolutely no reason to throw a 3rd/4th round pick away.

If Hue truly loves a QB, then we'll take him early in round 1, if he doesn't love a particular QB, then we'll go BPA and grab a QB later on. We need a boat load of young talent infused on this team, and this draft is critical on how long it takes to get competitive.

Interesting last paragraph in that article on chatsports:

"Browns met with Connor Cook at Pro Day
Cleveland is expected to take a quarterback - likely North Dakota State's Carson Wentz - with the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL Draft, but it doesn't look like that will stop them from possibly drafting another QB later in the draft. One guy they seem to have their eye on is Michigan State's Connor Cook, who they met with after his Pro Day with the Spartans. He is projected to be a second round pick."

Interesting last paragraph in that article on chatsports:

"Browns met with Connor Cook at Pro Day

Cleveland is expected to take a quarterback - likely North Dakota State's Carson Wentz - with the No. 2 overall pick in the NFL Draft, but it doesn't look like that will stop them from possibly drafting another QB later in the draft. One guy they seem to have their eye on is Michigan State's Connor Cook, who they met with after his Pro Day with the Spartans. He is projected to be a second round pick."

I think they will see what is up with just about every QB that could go in the first four rounds. The new staff seems to be pretty busy as opposed to Farmer who didn't attend pro days. Must have been too busy burning $100 bills with Dwayne Bowe.

Now that I see what our FO is doing - a full reset with younger players, I no longer am on the Kaepernick train...... It no longer makes any sense. Barring injury, Josh McCown will play equally as well as Kap, so there is absolutely no reason to throw a 3rd/4th round pick away.

If Hue truly loves a QB, then we'll take him early in round 1, if he doesn't love a particular QB, then we'll go BPA and grab a QB later on. We need a boat load of young talent infused on this team, and this draft is critical on how long it takes to get competitive.

We need to work on our timing... I'm actually drifting the other way.

McC will not survive a season behind our diminished OL... he'll give his all, but he just won't. Kaep might have to set a QB rushing record, but he might survive.

If Hue thinks he can return Kaep to his early form, 2016 would seem to be the ideal season to check it out. So if we are going pass on the top QBs in the draft, and Kaep becomes an UFA, then why not sign him?

It's not my preferred route, but if it's Hue's, then at least we keep our pick. And McC lives to mentor another day...

Honestly tho... if Kaep goes UFA, I do not see us winning a bidding war for him.

We need to work on our timing... I'm actually drifting the other way.

McC will not survive a season behind our diminished OL... he'll give his all, but he just won't. Kaep might have to set a QB rushing record, but he might survive.

HA! I can see your reasoning and it makes sense, but I'll throw another curve at you. If we do take a QB in say round 2-3, then I could see him starting by week 10, after Josh has given it his all and combined with the overall record of the team.

Having Kap on the team may actually prolong our agony, if it wouldn't allow our young guy of the future to get some valuable starts.

Why would Kap want to give away his own 3rd round pick to San Fran if it would help him here in Cleveland? The only thing Mike Silver ever said that made damn good sense..

Now that "moneyball" is in Cleveland Kaepernick isn't coming to the Browns unless it's a bargain price with a backup plan. If any team gets Kaepernick he's going to fuck shit up on the books no one will want him. You can say salary kaep; not salary cap.

And while I'm on the subject the whole moneyball thinking outside the box in gettin the most out of underpaid players explains why the free agents left and we get shit for players thus far.

HA! I can see your reasoning and it makes sense, but I'll throw another curve at you. If we do take a QB in say round 2-3, then I could see him starting by week 10, after Josh has given it his all and combined with the overall record of the team.

Having Kap on the team may actually prolong our agony, if it wouldn't allow our young guy of the future to get some valuable starts.

I don't see a R2/3 QB that could start in 2016... It'd be Colt 2.0 with McC as Delhomme and Davis as Wallace...

Why would Kap want to give away his own 3rd round pick to San Fran if it would help him here in Cleveland? The only thing Mike Silver ever said that made damn good sense..

lol... that is insightful...

Manziel just hired Drew Rosenhaus....lol

Sweet! More sit-ups in a driveway...

Show me the money sign!

Manziel just hired Drew Rosenhaus....lol

Drew better get on the horn to the Calgary Stampeders.

Z

Hard to believe Drew would want him. Saw that, Maybe Johnny is figuring Rosenhaus is so good he can sell ice to the Eskimos- Edmonton, that is. :) :) :)

esks-2.jpg

lol... 20 pages later...

Browns executive VP of football operations Sashi Brown told a pack of local beat reporters on Monday at the Annual League Meeting that the team is not actively engaged in talks with the 49ers"and, at this point, we don't anticipate being engaged with San Francisco," per Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer.

Brown added that Cleveland's interest in Kaepernick was "over-reported," saying that the Browns never decided on a draft pick or negotiated a reworked deal for the signal-caller who opened last season as San Francisco's starter but wound up benched for Blaine Gabbert.

On to the RG3 rumors!

lol... 20 pages later...

Browns executive VP of football operations Sashi Brown told a pack of local beat reporters on Monday at the Annual League Meeting that the team is not actively engaged in talks with the 49ers"and, at this point, we don't anticipate being engaged with San Francisco," per Mary Kay Cabot of The Plain Dealer.

Brown added that Cleveland's interest in Kaepernick was "over-reported," saying that the Browns never decided on a draft pick or negotiated a reworked deal for the signal-caller who opened last season as San Francisco's starter but wound up benched for Blaine Gabbert.

On to the RG3 rumors!

Well....now I see that Sashi Brown is really becoming an NFL GM. He has learned to lie with the best of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Being reported deal in place for a trade to Denver .....

BREAKING: 49ers & Broncos Have Parameters Of Trade Agreement Involving Colin Kaepernick http://bit.ly/1RweX8M

Being reported deal in place for a trade to Denver .....

BREAKING: 49ers & Broncos Have Parameters Of Trade Agreement Involving Colin Kaepernick http://bit.ly/1RweX8M

That would kinda close the market for McCown, unless the Jets want him. Can't see Chip bringing in him.

Zombo

Archived