THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Kaepernick Rumors

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was true, but only for his Base Salary...

His Prorated bonus money is guaranteed, but adds only ~$7.4mm in guaranteed money over the balance of his contract.

"For 2016, the question becomes whether the 49ers will keep Kaepernick past April 1, at which point his $11.9 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed."

What I said- past April 1st- that's a fair chunk of change.

I've been alluding to Sashi being a cheapo bean counter over the past week- and in this case he can lowball Kap as much as he wants to- MHO. Too many reports about CK being a flawed QB for my tastes- especially at the cost of a third round pick, and a salary on the (likely) high side of $9 million, with a lot more guaranteed. Depends if Collin prefers out of San Fran or the extra money he'll get for riding the pine. I've been preaching this in the thread- give the 49ers a LOW pick for the guy- with a conditional 2017 based on his performance. The Browns don't have to have this guy- .so he only goes to the Browns on our conditions. This is big litmus test #2 for the new FO. I wasn't impressed at all with their first at bat.

Pretty amazing a guy who was considered a total bum a few months ago morphed into a desirable commodity. The only logic I can see regarding Kap, is the Browns did their preliminary scouting on Goff and Wentz, and don't think they're worthy of the #2 overall. I'd find that hard to believe, as they haven't worked either of them out yet.

"For 2016, the question becomes whether the 49ers will keep Kaepernick past April 1, at which point his $11.9 million base salary becomes fully guaranteed."

I've been alluding to Sashi being a cheapo bean counter over the past week- and in this case he can lowball Kap as much as he wants to- MHO. Too many reports about CK being a flawed QB for my tastes- especially at the cost of a third round pick, and a salary on the (likely) high side of $9 million, with a lot more guaranteed. Depends if Collin prefers out of San Fran or the extra money he'll get for riding the pine. I've been preaching this in the thread- give the 49ers a LOW pick for the guy- with a conditional 2017 based on his performance. The Browns don't have to have this guy- .so he only goes to the Browns on our conditions. This is big litmus test #2 for the new FO. I wasn't impressed at all with their first at bat.

Pretty amazing a guy who was considered a total bum a few months ago morphed into a desirable commodity. The only logic I can see regarding Kap, is the Browns did their preliminary scouting on Goff and Wentz, and don't think they're worthy of the #2 overall. I'd find that hard to believe, as they haven't worked either of them out yet.

I think it's more a matter of the Browns exploring their options. If Hue likes Kaepernick and the Browns can work out a deal that works for THEM, there's no reason to take that option off the table.

Personally, I believe those to be two pretty big "ifs" and i don't foresee it happening. But I wouldn't completely dismiss it without knowing all the details.

And to be clear, when I said an average NFL QB would be a game changer for the Browns, it wasn't a specific advocation of Kaepernick. Just that average is about three times better than anything we've seen here for some time,

I liked this comment in the article, "Players like Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford are making upwards of $18 million a year; however, Kaepernick, who actually led his team somewhere not too long ago, is going to be nickel and dimed by a team that isn’t exactly in a bargaining position."

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are. :D

You can build a defense, can't build a QB. Josh Mccown is mediocre, sorry to all the Browns fans who love Mccown, but he's a bottom tier QB. Just because a guy is a QB guru doesn't mean he can polish a turd into a diamond. At least half would trade their starter for Dalton and I can guarantee their would be zero interest in Mccown as a starter across the league.

I would say Josh McCown has failed to reach the Pinnacle because of being bounced around from shit team to team and from system to system his entire career.

But sure build a great team around a mediocre quarterback and I'm positive you can be successful.

If that is coach Jackson's plan fair enough. I'm just failing to see your love for Andy Dalton (who has had how many years so far? With a coach that has had how many years?). I don't hate him, I don't love him.

But I mostly don't see the love for Colin Kaepernick. He's tall and has a strong arm. He's also a running quarterbacknowledge with accuracy problems. And he's a team cancer with a huge contract and his team is trying desperately to dump him. Shitty attitude guy. I don't think that's what we need to build around.

If one of the two quarterbacks projected in the first round are actually that good then we have an opportunity to get a future Elite.

Frankly I can live with either decision. Great team winning with a mediocre quarterback or a very good team winning with an elite quarterback.

WSS

Cleveland Browns looking likely to land Colin Kaepernick http://www.snsanalytics.com/yw2Xy5

That's old news. Since this article, Kaepernick has shown that he is unwilling to restructure his contact. I think (and hope) the deal is dead because it makes zero sense for the Browns to make this move.

What really concerns me is this move would contradict everything they've been doing since Sashi Brown took over. Analytics would tell you to stay far away from Kaepernick. So why pursue him? My best guess is he'd be a 'wedding' present to Hue, who is probably banging the drum for the trade because he wanted to draft him when he was Oakland's head coach. And if the HC and FO aren't completely on the same page already, we already know how this ends...

It wouldn't surprise me that when the season starts that Shaw and Davis are both gone too. kap would be a half decent stop gap if we get him. I think they still draft a rook qb and hopefully let him watch the better part of the season. Like it's a reach to figure on the 3rd stringer playing.

I see no rhyme or reason to trading for Kaepernick to be perfectly honest, unless he is our unquestioned starting QB for the next 5 years (or what passes for 5 years in cleveland). Trading for him *and* drafting a young QB to take over in a couple of years seems pointless. We have McCown to fill that bridge/mentor role already, and he certainly is no worse than Kaepernick last year.

On the flip side, if Hue thinks Kaep can be his guy, and we can pick up our franchise QB for a third round pick, then do it, and don't worry about the contract, it's already pretty team friendly, then go after Bosa/Jack/whoever in the draft and load up that way.

Big deal for SF to be sure, since they are wondering whether or not to keep Kaep, but zero impact on an acquiring team.

What team would possibly be worried about the cost of cutting a player April 2 that they just traded for March 31? If the deal gets done, then Kaep is on board for at least one year... and likely more.

Does make a helluva pinch point for SF in our negotiations tho... this could drag on thru March... Tick Tock...

That's old news. Since this article, Kaepernick has shown that he is unwilling to restructure his contact. I think (and hope) the deal is dead because it makes zero sense for the Browns to make this move.

What really concerns me is this move would contradict everything they've been doing since Sashi Brown took over. Analytics would tell you to stay far away from Kaepernick. So why pursue him? My best guess is he'd be a 'wedding' present to Hue, who is probably banging the drum for the trade because he wanted to draft him when he was Oakland's head coach. And if the HC and FO aren't completely on the same page already, we already know how this ends...

No idea what analytics would say here other than the standard deviation is pretty high...

As for restructuring... even if Kaep is unwilling, if SF picks up a piece of his salary, then it's the same to us...

I see no rhyme or reason to trading for Kaepernick to be perfectly honest, unless he is our unquestioned starting QB for the next 5 years (or what passes for 5 years in cleveland). Trading for him *and* drafting a young QB to take over in a couple of years seems pointless. We have McCown to fill that bridge/mentor role already, and he certainly is no worse than Kaepernick last year.

On the flip side, if Hue thinks Kaep can be his guy, and we can pick up our franchise QB for a third round pick, then do it, and don't worry about the contract, it's already pretty team friendly, then go after Bosa/Jack/whoever in the draft and load up that way.

Agree, but then the Kaep&Draft QB Club has a lot of membership in common with the Draft 2 QBs Club... another approach I do not "get"...

Agree, but then the Kaep&Draft QB Club has a lot of membership in common with the Draft 2 QBs Club... another approach I do not "get"...

People see Kirk Cousins doing well and want some of that action. Never mind that the redskins could have not drafted RG3, not given away three top-40 picks and been in a much better place. Of course, the Rams haven't exactly kicked on to the playoffs with those picks.

Cleveland Browns looking likely to land Colin Kaepernick http://www.snsanalytics.com/yw2Xy5

I hear things were going the other way over Kaepernick's refusal to renegotiate his outrageous salary.

Again....just another guy who may be ambivalent about actually playing the game looking to Cleveland for a big payday?

No idea what analytics would say here other than the standard deviation is pretty high...

As for restructuring... even if Kaep is unwilling, if SF picks up a piece of his salary, then it's the same to us...

I am a member of this club (though I'd rather draft 2 QBs than take Kaep and draft a qb). The justification is pretty simple. Drafting multiple QBs gives you more than one swing at the plate. Putting all your eggs in one basket means you sink or swim with that one QB. If you drafted two and the supposed franchise QB fails, well, you have also developed a third-round pick QB that you can try out before going back to the QB drawing board. And given the Browns history with QBs, they need as many swings at the plate as quickly as possible until they get it right.

I hear things were going the other way over Kaepernick's refusal to renegotiate his outrageous salary.

Not outrageous for a high-quality starter.... and the only way he gets to the big dollars at the back-end is if he regains his High-quality starter status.

The stipulation that his deal is fully guaranteed in case of injury has far bigger sticking point potential. We might be negotiating for SF to throw in the insurance policy they undoubtedly bought to cover that possibility.

But in any case time is on our side. SF is facing a Apr 1 deadline on Kaep's 2016 salary.

....but he IS the one who is still here.....

Which only reinforces not drafting another backup QB...

I was told this morning by a co worker that Kap is negotiating with us to restructure. "But", he's willing to restructure more for Denver. Soooo he's using us as leverage.

Sounds like that co-worker is following twitter.

I've since learned take everything you see on Twitter with a huge grain of salt.....

I liked this comment in the article, "Players like Brock Osweiler and Sam Bradford are making upwards of $18 million a year; however, Kaepernick, who actually led his team somewhere not too long ago, is going to be nickel and dimed by a team that isn’t exactly in a bargaining position."

Now that there is funny, I don't care who you are. :D

Sure we're in a bargaining position. The 49ers are going to have to agree to our terms, as well as Kap, or San Fran is either going to have to pay him his $13 million April 1st, or flat out cut him before. Remember, remember a few reports a couple months ago said the 49ers might just release CK rather than pay him his guaranteed money?

Ag, I'd want one good year out of Kap in Cleveland, before I pay him mid-starter money. Or the rest of his contract. Which happens to be fully guaranteed if he gets hurt. I would assume you've read the recent scouting reports, and they plain give me the willies. LOL, sort of like my reluctance on our departed Party Boy.

I would hope the analytics are what's holding things up. Could be Sashi and DePo crunched the numbers, and have a figure in mind for what they're willing to pay Kap, and they aren't going to go offering him a crazy Osweiler deal. Just because one team way overpaid doesn't mean the Browns have to.

Hue, what happened at Nevada is ancient history. I'd start by taking a look at his recent injury report, and watch a ton of game film from last year before you get the hots to bring him in. Doesn't seem to be a great teammate, and positive locker room presence either.

I was told this morning by a co worker that Kap is negotiating with us to restructure. "But", he's willing to restructure more for Denver. Soooo he's using us as leverage.

Unfounded source? If so, please keep on leveraging Collin.

Archived