THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Kaepernick Rumors

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Kaep is actually a QB any more. Kaepernick might be better as a RB, similar to Denard Robinson for the Jags. Just like JFF, Kaepernick's next correct progression will be his first. I forget where I saw the story explaining that Kaepernick wasn't calm enough to complete a fullback flare on the first play of the game for multiple games in a row - he would transform the play into a QB sweep to the other side of the field from the FB..

Exactly. Is Hue not aware of this? At this stage of his career, you can't fix basic things like that anymore. Well, the longer this drags out, the happier I am. I hope Kap is asking for tons of money- after he saw what Oswieler got, and this deal falls through.

Exactly. Is Hue not aware of this? At this stage of his career, you can't fix basic things like that anymore. Well, the longer this drags out, the happier I am. I hope Kap is asking for tons of money- after he saw what Oswieler got, and this deal falls through.

To be totally frank with you, I trust Hue more than anyone on this Board myself included. I have uneasy feelings about this but Hue is noted at one of the best in the league at getting good play at the QB position. If he thinks Kaep is someone he can get high level play from, I will cede to him on that. He and all the guys in this regime know their tenure rides heavy on this call.

To be totally frank with you, I trust Hue more than anyone on this Board myself included. I have uneasy feelings about this but Hue is noted at one of the best in the league at getting good play at the QB position. If he thinks Kaep is someone he can get high level play from, I will cede to him on that. He and all the guys in this regime know their tenure rides heavy on this call.

Okay, but this time I think I'll do the wait and see. Quarterback Guru? Well great. Andy Dalton? Probably the most mediocre of all playoff quarterbacks.

Wake me up when we get to 5 + 11.

This time if it turns out I'm wrong it will be a pleasant surprise. :)

WSS

Okay, but this time I think I'll do the wait and see. Quarterback Guru? Well great. Andy Dalton? Probably the most mediocre of all playoff quarterbacks.

WSS

If Kaep turns the Browns around to the point of yearly playoff contenders I'll personally start the petition to name the stadium after him.

WSS

16 teams, including the Browns, would love to open camp with Andy Dalton

Goff and Wentz are reaches at 2 IMO.

says the fan of the team with no franchise qb.

how do you know they are reaches?

three #1's for RG3 was a reach, but only in hindsight.

when you don't have a franchise qb at all, to get one there is almost no such thing as a reach.

i don't care what they have to do to get one as long as they find one, and one long term.

i'm not even sure just one can get us through 16+ games anymore.

No way. You only draft immediate need LTs top 5. We only need RT for the next 4 or 5 yetars. OL will not be addressed with pick 2, or 32 guaranteed.

With Schwartz gone taking Tunsil to play RT for 2 years, hell maybe less, might be the right call in order to have JT's replacement already here. I had thoughts of even trading JT, doing him a solid lets' face it, and starting Tunsil immediately at LT. But that's only if the price is right for JT. If some team were to give us multiple later round picks for him, with one of them def being a 2nd rounder...i'd consider it. I'd rather take Tunsil who would play immediately either at RT or LT if we traded Joe, over a QB we won't know about for 2 years.

Just can not even image what Josh McCown, his agent or his family is thinking. Josh wife & children for school reasons live in Charlotte, NC area. Sometimes football just is not fair, even to guys that give everything they got. Hope he see's the end of his contract here. He has earned it.. Even JM got something out of him in this league on the field..

Just can not even image what Josh McCown, his agent or his family is thinking. Josh wife & children for school reasons live in Charlotte, NC area. Sometimes football just is not fair, even to guys that give everything they got. Hope he see's the end of his contract here. He has earned it.. Even JM got something out of him in this league on the field..

isn't he getting 6m a year? He'll be fine.

I trust Hue to know 1,000 times more about quarterbacks than I do. But please don't let ego get in your way Hue. If you try to fix things that aren't fixable- and there are plenty of things about Kap that are sending my Red Flag meter off the charts- you're betting your HC career on this decision should CK flop. Maybe the holdup is Sashi doesn't like the numbers Kap's agent is tossing around, or DePo doesn't like the analytics.

BTW, it's a different situation in Denver. Elway bought himself around five years worth of slack, winning the past Super Bowl, and the Broncs have a few decent WRs, plus a stud defense.

With Schwartz gone taking Tunsil to play RT for 2 years, hell maybe less, might be the right call in order to have JT's replacement already here. I had thoughts of even trading JT, doing him a solid lets' face it, and starting Tunsil immediately at LT. But that's only if the price is right for JT. If some team were to give us multiple later round picks for him, with one of them def being a 2nd rounder...i'd consider it. I'd rather take Tunsil who would play immediately either at RT or LT if we traded Joe, over a QB we won't know about for 2 years.

You want to trade JT for a 2nd round pick? Whats the hit rate for 2nd rounders these days for good teams? 1 in 2? We have a pro bowl caliber player, who we can afford, who likes it here, and you wanna trade him for a 2nd rounder and some change? Give me a break.... We have enough holes on this roster, why create more? We still have Thomas, Bitonio and Greco so three slots are locked down. Erving still has potential and will get better. Pasztor showed some promise and if those two guys work out our starters are set. We'll add another guy, but at 2 seems crazy when we have so many other deficiencies.

I think Kaep was OK under Harbaugh but not that QB that can go anywhere and light it up. Honestly, I like Wentz or Goff better and they are the only two QBs in the draft this year that I give a first round pick (not sure about number 2 but first round still). If Hue doesn't feel like either is worth the number 2 I think we should take another position or trade down. I liked Kaep in Harbaugh's system but don't think much of him without Harbaugh.

I think Kaep was OK under Harbaugh but not that QB that can go anywhere and light it up. Honestly, I like Wentz or Goff better and they are the only two QBs in the draft this year that I give a first round pick (not sure about number 2 but first round still). If Hue doesn't feel like either is worth the number 2 I think we should take another position or trade down. I liked Kaep in Harbaugh's system but don't think much of him without Harbaugh.

Devil's advocate Joe - Why just Harbaugh? Did Alex Smith play pretty well for Andy Reid? Can Hue or Kubiak do that for Kaep?

According to an interview I read from ESPN about the offense Harbaugh uses - most of it comes from the coach he had when he played QB in Indy. Cleveland Browns fans remember this coach as Lindy Infante. Harbaugh saw the same genius we did. In the interview I read, he said it's most QB friendly progression read he had as a pro QB and it wasn't a very difficult offense to learn so he trusted it wasn't difficult to teach. Both Smith and Kaepernick played well in it.

Once a QB has the speed read principles established what else is necessary? Good routes, good talent, good separation, good protection and a balanced attack. SF started to lose the following reliability to age,injuries and free agency: Mike Iupati, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree while Vernon Davis lost a lot of steps and Anquan Boldin lost at least 1 step. In 2015, Davis wasn't even capable of significance in Denver the times I saw him play. Another part of Kaep's decline as I was reminded has been injuries.

My only worry is we have to give him something more reliable to throw to than the 2 jockeys and Josh Spiccoli while defenses load up on Barnidge. SF has that recruiting tool we're lacking right now plus the margin of error we witnessed their defense can protect their QB with on a day Peyton threw a pick 6 to Dansby plus an INT to Mingo at Denver's 39 yard line in OT. We don't have that so we'd have to pay Kaep more than Denver is willing to imo. I've been wrong before though. For example, maybe Elway's knee jerk for Mark Say Cheese invites a QB controversy he's disinterested in signing up for.

Very good point Flugel but also that plays into what I was saying. Alex Smith did play well for Andy Reid (and only Andy Reid). A Smith was terrible in SF. It is rare to see QBs that are known to only play good for one coach to play well for another. Not impossible but the odds are against it.

Very good point Flugel but also that plays into what I was saying. Alex Smith did play well for Andy Reid (and only Andy Reid). A Smith was terrible in SF. It is rare to see QBs that are known to only play good for one coach to play well for another. Not impossible but the odds are against it.

One part does play into what you were saying but Alex Smith played some good football after Harbaugh so what else beside the coach matters if he gets another good offensive coach? A chance to succeed. It would be pretty fun to have a WR like Maclin, a Pro Bowl TE and RB like Charles with good backups. Having the margin of error a good defense also helps. I still feel once you've learned the right way/habit of reading your progressions the Infante way - you don't lose the KISS principle as easy as it is to lose a good roster around you to age, injury, FA and a front office that pissed off Harbaugh enough to allow the FO to get the cred they wanted for their choices.

SF was the easiest challenge we had in 2015. Their talent on the perimeter sucked. I think Hyde was out injured for their running game while Crow had well over 100 yards. Now think of what Peyton Manning's teammates did against us on a day he gave us a pic 6 and an INT in OT at their 39 yard line.

Last we heard heading into last off season was Josh McCown was a bad idea. He proved a lot of people wrong that held him hostage to some bad teams/situations he played under rather than trying to differentiate the difference between his Chicago and Tampa experiences.

Heck of a lot of guaranteed money sitting there....which no one wants to pay.....and Kap doesnt want to give up.....

So....does he let that go to play for less?.....or does he get paid no matter what?.....

With us "supposedly" offering a third, then agreeing to pay big $ too makes me very very nervous......I was game for a mid/late round pick and restructured deal.....but now?......hmmmmm

Heck of a lot of guaranteed money sitting there....

Where? Whole deal he signed with SF was for just under $13mm guaranteed and over $10mm of it was in his first year.

Where? Whole deal he signed with SF was for just under $13mm guaranteed and over $10mm of it was in his first year.

Ohhh....I misinterpreted that salary chart then....I thought the first column "guaranteed base" was ALL guaranteed.....my bad

Archived