THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Garrett created a lot of pressure and he did it against what will be a first rounder THIS year. Also a 3 year starter.

Allen is awesome but he's going against a 3 star true freshman who not an Aggie in the world can figure out why is still starting.

Context people.

Rewatched the game last night. MG was excellent against the run but definitely didn't create pressure consistently until the 4th quarter. However, I think you can tell by his lack of pursuit at times that his injury is still bothering him quite a bit.

Allen is an animal looking for meat. So is their entire D, of course. I've graded the OL in all 6 of our P5 games. Some great DL in there. Adams and Lawson from Auburn, Vanderdoes from UCLA, Barnett and Vereen at Tennessee, Wise at Arkansas. Nobody has the raw talent and strength Alabama does. We have a pretty good center and RG. They're both country boys. Oxen strong. They got tossed around like rag dolls all day in Tuscaloosa.

We can take anyone in that front 7 and I'd be giddy. Allen, Williams, Foster, Anderson, Hand, Payne, Tomlinson. Any one.

Question for people:

- Assuming we win a game and end up picking second somehow (because the browns suck so much they even suck at sucking);

- Assuming Cody Kessler (or someone?) shows enough to convince us he's the guy to build around as QB;

- Assuming Myles Garrett goes first overall;

Who are you looking at?

Question for people:

- Assuming we win a game and end up picking second somehow (because the browns suck so much they even suck at sucking);

- Assuming Cody Kessler (or someone?) shows enough to convince us he's the guy to build around as QB;

Who are you looking at?

Here is the current CBS Sports Top Ten prospect ranks:

1 Myles Garrett DE 1 Texas A&M Jr 6-5 262 1

2 Jabrill Peppers SS 1 Michigan rSo 6-0 208 1

3 Jonathan Allen DE 2 Alabama Sr 6-3 291 1

4 Leonard Fournette RB 1 LSU Jr 6-1 230 1

5 Teez Tabor CB 1 Florida Jr 6-0 199 1

6 Malik McDowell DT 1 Michigan State Jr 6-5 282 1

7 Mitch Trubisky QB 1 North Carolina rJr 6-3 220 1

8 Cam Robinson OT 1 Alabama Jr 6-6 310 1

9 Jamal Adams SS 2 LSU Jr 6-0 211 1

10 Tim Williams OLB 1 Alabama Sr 6-3 252 1

Question for people:

Who are you looking at?

AS of now... It's hard for me to see a team (us) who desires to have a 3-4 D passing on Allen, BUT...

Who is that on the other end of the phone that is ringing?

AS of now... It's hard for me to see a team (us) who desires to have a 3-4 D passing on Allen, BUT...

Who is that on the other end of the phone that is ringing?

After the Jets decided to go with Hackenburg, they just kept piling on that front seven with Myles Garrett.

The browns are picking second, and on the other end of the phone, it's the chicago bears, offering their No 5 pick, along with their first rounder next year, and their third rounder this year, in exchange for our No2 pick.

Go.

In related news, who gets cut at the end of this year, whose contract gets renewed, and who gets rewarded? For me I see:

Cut or not renewed - Williams, Taylor, Poyer, Hawkins, Bailey, RG3, Pasztor, Paea, Lemonier

Renew - Pryor, Crowell (could be RFA tagged), Colquitt, Meder (ERFA)

for reference:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cleveland-browns/

There's a bunch of scrubby ERFAs at the bottom that will end up as camp fodder for sure but not make the roster next year.

After the Jets decided to go with Hackenburg, they just kept piling on that front seven with Myles Garrett.

The browns are picking second, and on the other end of the phone, it's the chicago bears, offering their No 5 pick, along with their first rounder next year, and their third rounder this year, in exchange for our No2 pick.

Deal! http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pages/the-harvard-trade-value-chart

In related news, who gets cut at the end of this year, whose contract gets renewed, and who gets rewarded? For me I see:

Cut or not renewed - Williams, Taylor, Poyer, Hawkins, Bailey, RG3, Pasztor, Paea, Lemonier

Renew - Pryor, Crowell (could be RFA tagged), Colquitt, Meder (ERFA)

Are you on the fence with Winston? ;) Our IR list just would not be the same without him...

I'll defend Bailey and Paz. The former has back-filled well for both Greco and Bito at OG. The latter filled in well last year for Bito after the Cam experiment; he is simply not a viable candidate to play on the end of the line. Entirely possible that one or the other ends up getting caught in a numbers game before the end of camp, but both are worthy of a resign.

http://overthecap.com/free-agency/cleveland-browns/

Question for people:

Who are you looking at?

Jonathan Allen, Tim Williams (as good now as Myles though maybe a little lower ceiling), Cam Robinson, Jamal Adams.

A DL of Shelton, Allen, and Nassib is arousing.

Go.

A first rounder to drop just three spots? Yeah, I'm probably doing that.

A first rounder to drop just three spots? Yeah, I'm probably doing that.

We got one to drop 5 places from 4th to 9th, and second is a lot more than 4th. I mean, I'm just spitballing, you can see a scenario where a team around 5th or 6th is QB hungry and we've said we're not and the pick is for sale, and you've got another of those QB hungry teams at 3. For example, draft order looks like:

Jets (Garrett)

Browns

Bears

Jags

49ers

49ers might *really* want to get ahead of the bears and it might be worth a lot to them.

So lets look at the draft order. Here's the rules.............http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

At the moment we have only two serious candidates in competition (!?) for #1 overall. Bears and 49's have 1 win each. I am going to assume the Panthers with their one win will eliminate themselves because they are too talented not to do so without intentionally losing out. The Bears play the 49's Dec. 4 so one of those two will have two wins and unless a miracle happens with the Browns winning two, that team is eliminated. We play neither of those teams ourselves so that is a wash. So IF, a huge IF, the Browns should tie the other loser of those two with one win each, who has the greatest strength of schedule between us and the other two "competitors"? The rules state "Overall ties are then broken by strength of schedule, which is a calculation of the combined record of all of a team's opponents in that year, with divisional opponents counting twice."

We all know this is where we are headed this year. There has not been enough improvement in play or game day coaching to think otherwise thus far. And quite frankly without a win over the Jets this weekend, we are the "winners" of the draft order game.

EDIT: At them moment our division above us is 10-11, 49s 10-8-2 and the Bears 13-6. Since that is the largest factor, we need to root for the 49's to beat the Bears if nothing changes between now and Dec. 4th, even if we beat someone.

Myles Garrett at #1, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. With the Eagles' and Titans' picks, you take OL and safety/DB. With our 2nd round pick, we take ANOTHER OL, or middle linebacker. We're probably going to have 4 picks out of the first 45 selections in the entire draft. That's insane. This is how YOU ASSEMBLE A COMPETITIVE TEAM. Through the damn draft, and we have the ammunition to do it.

Hue Jackson asked everyone to "trust him" regarding the Kessler pick, and I'll be the first one to admit I thought he was crazy. But now I do, and I'm a believer. Build a team around the kid. Accuracy, heart, pocket presence, and leadership outweigh arm strength, size, and speed.

Make fun of me all you want, but I think we got it going.

Myles Garrett at #1, and I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. With the Eagles' and Titans' picks, you take OL and safety/DB. With our 2nd round pick, we take ANOTHER OL, or middle linebacker. We're probably going to have 4 picks out of the first 45 selections in the entire draft. That's insane. This is how YOU ASSEMBLE A COMPETITIVE TEAM. Through the damn draft, and we have the ammunition to do it.

Hue Jackson asked everyone to "trust him" regarding the Kessler pick, and I'll be the first one to admit I thought he was crazy. But now I do, and I'm a believer. Build a team around the kid. Accuracy, heart, pocket presence, and leadership outweigh arm strength, size, and speed.

Make fun of me all you want, but I think we got it going.

You've been on a roll lately, but...

• predetermining picks for positions is ludicrous; and
  • if there is a QB out there that does not make you pick between your two baskets of qualities, then you take that QB.

So lets look at the draft order. Here's the rules.............http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

At the moment we have only two serious candidates in competition (!?) for #1 overall. Bears and 49's have 1 win each. I am going to assume the Panthers with their one win will eliminate themselves because they are too talented not to do so without intentionally losing out. The Bears play the 49's Dec. 4 so one of those two will have two wins and unless a miracle happens with the Browns winning two, that team is eliminated. We play neither of those teams ourselves so that is a wash. So IF, a huge IF, the Browns should tie the other loser of those two with one win each, who has the greatest strength of schedule between us and the other two "competitors"? The rules state "Overall ties are then broken by strength of schedule, which is a calculation of the combined record of all of a team's opponents in that year, with divisional opponents counting twice."

We all know this is where we are headed this year. There has not been enough improvement in play or game day coaching to think otherwise thus far. And quite frankly without a win over the Jets this weekend, we are the "winners" of the draft order game.

EDIT: At them moment our division above us is 10-11, 49s 10-8-2 and the Bears 13-6. Since that is the largest factor, we need to root for the 49's to beat the Bears if nothing changes between now and Dec. 4th, even if we beat someone.

Our division will be shitty. It could be won by a 9-7 team. 10-6 would be a stretch. Balt/Pitt are .500 teams. The Bengals who are probably the most talented are still the Bengals and certain to overachieve.

Browns will not "win" any strength of schedule battles.

Mr. Biscuit, AKA Mitch Trubinsky, is by far my favorite candidate, but I don't want to draft a QB that early. I think we have our QB, and we don't need him. Let's build the REST of our team up with the vast number of quality picks we have. Two first rounders, two EARLY second rounders...

So I was watching the Washington-Utah game and one of Utah's WR stuck out to me. I'm not sure what his prospects are and, after looking at his stats, I'm assuming he has had some injury troubles but the dude definitely looked the part today. His name is Tim Patrick. I know WR isn't a big need after our draft last year but the dude is 6'5, seemed like a smooth athlete, and made some plays. It might just be the body type but he reminded me of Plaxico Burress.

With that said, I am by no means a scout and this is the first time I've spent a lot of time watching Utah play so it could be a one off but he seems like an under the radar type to keep an eye on.

Myles Gaskin, the RB for Washington, killed it today as well but he's only a Sophomore. If he plays like he did today on a consistent basis, I have a feeling he'll be going high next year.

Oh and if Brile's is still helping out, we need to let him go immediately if only because he raised a son who thinks it's a good idea to run 2 consecutive QB keepers down by 1 with 45 seconds left, starting on your own 20, on the road.

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20161027/SPORTS/161029471

Summing it up Mel Kiper ranks Mitch as the best NCAA qb in the country and TOP QB prospect

He also thought Jamarcus Russell was the best QB prospect at one point. I will wait to see what is said after the prospects are dissected by every draft expert before jumping for joy over anyone of them.

Our division will be shitty. It could be won by a 9-7 team. 10-6 would be a stretch. Balt/Pitt are .500 teams. The Bengals who are probably the most talented are still the Bengals and certain to overachieve.

Browns will not "win" any strength of schedule battles.

Actually Gip that is exactly how you "win" the strength of schedule battle. The shittier your division the higher you get to pick because you tied with someone for the same # of wins while playing crappier teams.

So back to my point. Winning today does not move us out of the #1 overall pick. Jets are also a shitty team, so we don't get a lot of credit for the win there either. Make sense? \

BTW Garrett was in a boot for that injured leg and did not play this week against N.M.St. He has been playing on that bad wheel since the 1st Q of the Arkansas game after a low cheap shot by their 6'10" LOT. This is the second game he did not play in, S.Car. being the other.

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20161027/SPORTS/161029471

Summing it up Mel Kiper ranks Mitch as the best NCAA qb in the country and TOP QB prospect

Gumby Grippe Jr. here in NC. Mitch is proving to be another one hit wonder redshirt jr. Mitch completed 43-44 passes last 2 seasons. He's working behind one of the best OL in the ACC this season. Scouts will most likely prefer a "prove it again season" as a Senior season. But, there is that, Who is Carson Wentz to Mitch. His pre draft evaluation will be full of guys like Kiper. Only my opinion but, I think Mitch should stay to prove he's not like another 1 hit wonder like a guy named Deshawn Watson..

Archived