THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually Gip that is exactly how you "win" the strength of schedule battle. The shittier your division the higher you get to pick because you tied with someone for the same # of wins while playing crappier teams.

So back to my point. Winning today does not move us out of the #1 overall pick. Jets are also a shitty team, so we don't get a lot of credit for the win there either. Make sense? \

BTW Garrett was in a boot for that injured leg and did not play this week against N.M.St. He has been playing on that bad wheel since the 1st Q of the Arkansas game after a low cheap shot by their 6'10" LOT. This is the second game he did not play in, S.Car. being the other.

OK, I see. If teams are tied for draft positioning, it is actually the team with the "weaker" strength of schedule that will get the higher pick.

Right now, the AFCN has Pitt/Balt at 4-4, Cinci at 3-4-1. LIke I said, a shitty division....so, yes, the Browns will "lose" any strength of schedule matchup, thus winning any higher draft pick.

Except I've seen Garrett stack LTs and set the edge...

QBs? Just starting to look, but no... Watson has not shown me NFL tools as yet.

I'm honestly thinking a center is about the only gaping hole on offense. The rest of the guys are capable enough to get the job done when all healthy. I have no idea who we could draft to play there, but I'm guessing there's someone. In fact, maybe a veteran FA would be a better way to go - not having to worry about a very young guy in Kessler making all the calls along with a rookie center. Just a thought.

Reiter was playing well before blowing out a wheel. So we would at least have decent depth at center if we drafted a kid.

True. And I would dearly love to see Reiter in a full season, because one game isn't enough to judge a player on.

I think Mitch has the most upside of the QB's currently. I like garrett but the more i watch the more i am reminded of mingo

Reminded of Mingo? Eh...I don't see that really. Would you care to elaborate more? Garrett is like 6'5 and 265 (I think), AND he's stout against the run. I will admit that Garrett is NOT having the statistical type of season he wanted, but I'm guessing that's due to injury and other teams preparing for him.

The only QB I would consider with our first pick is Mitch, and it's NOT even close. I realize he didn't pull it out on Thursday, but I REALLY like his game. And don't undervalue the importance of him WANTING to play for Cleveland. I actually think that carries some level of importance. Additionally, having a QB with the nickname of "Mr. Biscuit" playing in the Dawg Pound...well...that just makes too much sense, right? ;-)

Give me the Biscuit, and nobody gets hurt.

Reminded of Mingo? Eh...I don't see that really. Would you care to elaborate more? Garrett is like 6'5 and 265 (I think), AND he's stout against the run. I will admit that Garrett is NOT having the statistical type of season he wanted, but I'm guessing that's due to injury and other teams preparing for him.

The only QB I would consider with our first pick is Mitch, and it's NOT even close. I realize he didn't pull it out on Thursday, but I REALLY like his game. And don't undervalue the importance of him WANTING to play for Cleveland. I actually think that carries some level of importance. Additionally, having a QB with the nickname of "Mr. Biscuit" playing in the Dawg Pound...well...that just makes too much sense, right? ;-)

Give me the Biscuit, and nobody gets hurt.

Much like Barkevious Mingo, or Scooby Wright, both Browns HoF guys ;)

The more I read about the draft, the more I keep reading about the Browns passing on QB with their first pick to select either Garrett or Jonathan Allen. I guess that makes sense, as we all know how bad our defense is.

I do know that developing a consistent pass rush is our top priority. We can talk about QB all day long, but just watch our defense on 3rd down and you'll know I'm right. How many 3rd and longs do we give up EVERY week? Even when we "blitz", we seldom get home. Having an awful secondary compounds the issue, as someone is almost always open down the field.

I'd be happy with a bunch of different draft scenarios, but if we did Garrett with first pick and then CB/Safety with the second 1st rounder, I'd be very happy. The more I read about Mitch, the less I feel he's worthy of the overall #1 pick. Especially if that means giving up on a player like Garrett, who is being touted by many as the "once every ten years" type talent. Even if we DO draft Garrett, nothing much matters unless we find a way to keep Collins. He's the key to our entire defense if you ask me. In only his second game, we saw Collins EVERYWHERE. Just wait until he's truly comfortable in our system, AND add someone else the offense has to worry about.

Every other year there's apparently a 'once in a generation' talent. Garret, Mack, Clowney - nobody in 2013 because 2013 was the draft that the NFL forgot, but point is, this time of year everyone gets overhyped, and the best players in the draft get raised to 'once in a generation' talent. Elliott was the best back in a generation. So was Todd Gurley. So was Trent Richardson.

Clowney got derailed by a terrible injury. This year I saw him play VERY well....and do it without JJ Watt. Once he's healthy, AND Watt is healthy...this defense will be nasty. The few games I watched of the Texans, Clowney was a nightmare out there. Is he living up to the vast hype? No...I don't think he is. Hopefully he remains healthy and keeps improving. Gurley too has suffered injury related crap, and I hope he can overcome it as well. Zeke is completely living up to the hype, and boy is he good. Trent...well...let's not go there. After a very solid rookie year, something happened to him. Water under the bridge.

I do know we need a defensive playmaker. Somebody the other team worries about. We have Collins, just need to KEEP HIM. If we do lock him up, we'll need another. Garrett might be that guy. This upcoming draft is going to be crazy, and we're going to be fired up. Four selections in the top 50 or so is nutso. Unfortunately, the damn Eagles AND Titans won, and both look very good. Hopefully we can build like they are. Wentz remains "Captain Check Down", and that's ok because Eagles have a very solid defense, and very good special teams. I'd give ANYTHING to have a "very good defense".

Wentz remains "Captain Check Down", and that's ok .. I'd give ANYTHING to have a "very good defense".

We have a serviceable check down QB on our team already. So in that sense alone I'm happy we took him in the 3rd rather than the 1st.

We could take Garrett and a DB in the first and another DB and a C in the second and I wouldn't be unhappy. We do need a starting C, even if Reiter makes the roster next season.

We have a serviceable check down QB on our team already. So in that sense alone I'm happy we took him in the 3rd rather than the 1st.

We could take Garrett and a DB in the first and another DB and a C in the second and I wouldn't be unhappy. We do need a starting C, even if Reiter makes the roster next season.

Yeah, I agree. What I was saying was, I'd give anything for Cody to have a defense like the one Wentz has. And that's a good point about Reiter. I forgot about him, and maybe he can be a good one? I mean, one game isn't enough to draw conclusions from, but at least it was a promising game, right? Btw, I just watched some highlight films about Myles Garrett, and Jesus. I know, I know...highlight films make EVERYBODY look good, but WHOA. His frame is something to behold. His speed? Yikes. And when he gets home, he gets there with bad intentions. His speed jumps off the tape. And if he's really the size he says he is, God help people. He doesn't move like he's 6'5 or 6'4 and 260+. That's for damn sure. Ogbah has similar speed, but they don't look anything alike when they're running. Ogbah appears a bit stiff at times to me, and Garrett has the grace of a damn gazelle. There was one highlight where Garrett rushed the passer, jumped about 4 feet off the ground, tipped the ball, and caught the pick. *drool*

A great, or even very good, D does dictate the suitability of a game-managing QB...

In fact, maybe a veteran FA would be a better way to go - not having to worry about a very young guy in Kessler making all the calls along with a rookie center. Just a thought.

And not a bad one, but Greco has been making the calls regardless of where he has lined up.

Reiter was playing well before blowing out a wheel. So we would at least have decent depth at center if we drafted a kid.

Very limited sample, but he did not display the pratfalls others at the position have.

only an idiot is posting football in the early hours of the morning, and...

eh... never mind.

Seriously, I am not impressed with Kizer - his arm is impressive, but overall, he seems to be

a one read qb.

Trubisky, sometimes he scans the entire field, seems to have terrific sense in the pocket,

can improvise on the move, and most of the time - very accurately, even when his footwork

takes him backwards, sideways, etc to avoid a rush.... can get rid of the ball quick...

It's way early, but he may very well be the guy for the Browns. I love the clip of the Pitt game -

they won it on the quarterbacking of Trubisky in the last seconds. Just a whole LOT of great qualities.

Pitt game

I agree with some of the other posters in that I don't want ANYTHING to do with Kizer at this point in time. I've watched him play in several big games, and I sure didn't come away with thinking, "Boy, I need THAT guy with the first overall pick in the entire draft!" Could he have some massive upside? Sure he could. But if I draft someone #1 overall, I want MORE than just "upside" and terrific physical features.

Mitch is by far from perfect, but his flaws seem to be more fixable than others. Mainly what I've seen and read is that he isn't consistent with his footwork, and he can get lazy with some of his throws. To me, that can be nixed rather quickly. What he does WELL is much harder to teach, and that appears to be processing information, scanning the field, and hitting receivers where they can make a play with the ball. You ever see Carolina play? They have a little white guy named Switzer or something, and he plays the slot WR for them. He has outstanding chemistry with Mitch, and I think Switzer would be worth a late round pick...if only to help Mitch and give him someone he knows.

You can say that it's "way too early" to begin talking about this stuff, but it's mid November already. The writing is on the wall as far as where we'll be picking in the draft, and I don't think there's any harm in checking out who will be available to us. Sashi Brown recently gave a nice interview to local Browns beat writers, and while he didn't get into specifics, he did say that Cody Kessler will be given a chance to compete. He further said that Cody has played well considering the tough spot he was in, and he has a lot of growth in him. I think that's one thing I forgot about. Cody is far from a finished product, and what if he continues to grow? How much growth can Cody have with an entire offseason as the presumed starter? Minicamps, OTA's, training camp...as the STARTER...getting all the reps. It's worth thinking about it.

Archived