THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

Well this just got interesting. Local news in NC says, HC Larry Fedora was contacted today by LSU for the HC position. FSU Jimbo Fisher also been rumored to LSU. Was hoping Mitch would pull a A.Luck & play his senior year to prove his lack of games played was no fluke. But if Larry Fedora goes, why risk being thrown a new offensive system when your already a top 10 pick? Could create a great scouting fact for 2018 draft also..Tick Tock

Ugh. I will be infuriated if Fedora goes to LSU. He's from college Station. He needs to be called home.

Btw, Ag69, you off the train yet?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't see the point in saying I want guy X at QB until after the bowl games. Every year a new name gets brought after after everything is said and done. Wentz came out of no where, Bortles came out of no where, Tannehill came out of no where ect ect.

And if you speak to dolphins and jags fans they'll tell you that QB is holding their franchise back. Obviously it's too early to comment on Carson Wentz but it's not like he's been elite so far.

Check out the article below regarding some potential QB's. There are videos of Watson, Kizer, Mitch, and the kid of Texas Tech. The videos are quite long, and I wouldn't expect anybody to watch the full 30 minutes, but you can kind of skip to the drives you want to see and it gives you a little indication of what each guy can do. I like the fact that they aren't "highlight" videos, because everyone looks good in those.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/11/how_about_patrick_mahomes_who.html

Check out the article below regarding some potential QB's. There are videos of Watson, Kizer, Mitch, and the kid of Texas Tech. The videos are quite long, and I wouldn't expect anybody to watch the full 30 minutes, but you can kind of skip to the drives you want to see and it gives you a little indication of what each guy can do. I like the fact that they aren't "highlight" videos, because everyone looks good in those.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/11/how_about_patrick_mahomes_who.html

Or skip the article and go direct to www.draftbreakdown.com where they have more videos on each player.

Allen is a machine. USC's OL was vaunted as the best in the country last week. Herbstreit singled out a play (one of many) where the front 4 collapsed the pocket in under 2 seconds with bull rushes across the board, with Allen leading the way. It's a work of art.

Right now allen is my choice for pass rusher if thats what we go for with the top pick. Then maybe we can finally say good bye to the 3-4 except as sub package

Right now allen is my choice for pass rusher if thats what we go for with the top pick. Then maybe we can finally say good bye to the 3-4 except as sub package

Allen would basically be the perfect fit for a 3-4 DE. If 4-3 is your bag, go Garrett.

But that's not my business...

Allen would basically be the perfect fit for a 3-4 DE. If 4-3 is your bag, go Garrett.

But that's not my business...

Allen is more my type of DE than garrett. I think alot of guys careers ave been nerfed by putting them as the 3-4 de. Ill take allen all day over the tackle and let meder/shelton do the interior heavy lifting. Bear defense with og,nas, allen,med,shelton,bryant. Cycle orch in for the speed rush

PFF has us taking Mason Rudolph from Oklahoma State with our second pick in the first. First pick? Allen, Alabama.. can't disagree.

My problem with Rudolph? We already took a guy from oklahoma state with our second pick in the first. Yep, Brandon Weeden. And I think we know how that turned out. Also, Rudolph hasn't declared yet for the draft, so there's that little detail.

PFF has us taking Mason Rudolph from Oklahoma State with our second pick in the first. First pick? Allen, Alabama.. can't disagree.

My problem with Rudolph? We already took a guy from oklahoma state with our second pick in the first. Yep, Brandon Weeden. And I think we know how that turned out. Also, Rudolph hasn't declared yet for the draft, so there's that little detail.

We also took justin gilbert in the first from other OSU. But that shouldn't be a reason to not take someone from there in future.

Here it is: "Overall ties are then broken by strength of schedule, which is a calculation of the combined record of all of a team's opponents in that year, with divisional opponents counting twice."

It's the division counting twice that makes it hard to overcome.

Well, OK, they count division opponents twice because they play them twice. What they are simply doing is taking the combined record of a teams 16 game schedule opponents. Ergo, division opponents get counted twice.

Right here, right now this is how they break down:

Brown opponents of 10 games to date have a 46-39-2 record for a .528 win pct.

49ers opponents of 9 games have a 41-37-3 record for a .506 win pct.

So....right now the 49ers have the weaker schedule. Of course the season must play out.

The 49ers still must play winning teams like the 7-2Pats/6-4Falcons/6-2-1Seahawks.

The Browns only have one team with a winning record left on their schedule: The NY Giants at 6-3.

Every other team they play currently has a losing record, including the 4-5 Steelers twice.

If it plays out and the Browns and 49ers tie, the Browns may yet get the better of it due to a weaker schedule.

We also took justin gilbert in the first from other OSU. But that shouldn't be a reason to not take someone from there in future.

Joking.. it'd be the same as saying don't take another QB from TA&M because of the stench of Football in that place..

If we can wait till 2018, there's always Rosen [uCLA] and Falk [WashSt] and Rudolph if he doesn't come out and Browning [Washington] I left out Mayfield [OK] because he's.. not good.

Ugh. I will be infuriated if Fedora goes to LSU. He's from college Station. He needs to be called home.

Btw, Ag69, you off the train yet?

Bear Bryant once said, ""I left Texas A&M because my school called me. Mama called,

and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running."

If I heard Fedora say that, I would not be heartbroken.

But the loss to Ole Miss should not have surprised anyone if you were aware they were going to take the redshirt off the #1 HS QB in the land from 2015. A no brainer. I as surprised we were still leading until the end. With a forth string QB and a one legged man still gutting out the season, it's like playing with one hand tied behind your back. Not a good reason to fire.

Joking.. it'd be the same as saying don't take another QB from TA&M because of the stench of Football in that place..

If we can wait till 2018, there's always Rosen [uCLA] and Falk [WashSt] and Rudolph if he doesn't come out and Browning [Washington] I left out Mayfield [OK] because he's.. not good.

Fair enough - you've seen that kind of reasoning around here plenty though, hard to tell when it's serious or not!

This is what excites me. This stuff right here.year.

I'm secure enough in my manhood to accept this comment...

OK but isn't all that still dependent on success with your picks? That's still what it all boils down to. I hope they're right but they gotta hit on some picks

It is dependent on hitting picks, of course. And this FO hasn't missed on a pick yet, considering as we are only 10 weeks into their rookie season and making a judgment one way or the other is extremely premature.

Even when I was crowning Wentz, there was always the caveat that it's still too early to tell.

The difference between draft bust and draft star is hardly black and white. Unless you think Dak Prescott would have us at 9-1 right now.

Only thing I'd add is this rookie class is their first data in to their feedback loop.

The metrics I was thinking of go even more micro than the turnover ratio, etc. Not that those are excluded, but also go deeper... thru groupings like OL, DBs, etc. all the way to individual player performance vs. early and probably mid-season projections.

As for Dak? Might have 2 wins for us, but he'd still have been on the bench early watching RG and McC go down... just as Kess was.

Just think if Romo hadn't had his spine scrunched... DAL still would not know what it had...

Bear Bryant once said, ""I left Texas A&M because my school called me. Mama called,

and when Mama calls, then you just have to come running."

If I heard Fedora say that, I would not be heartbroken.

But the loss to Ole Miss should not have surprised anyone if you were aware they were going to take the redshirt off the #1 HS QB in the land from 2015. A no brainer. I as surprised we were still leading until the end. With a forth string QB and a one legged man still gutting out the season, it's like playing with one hand tied behind your back. Not a good reason to fire.

That quote was in mind when I wrote that.

Come on man. Chad Kelly is the best QB in the SEC. They were still 4-5 with him. We had two 5 star QBs last year and neither made us all-world overnight. Furthermore, Patterson couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the first half. The game should have been over at halftime.

Everyone has injuries at this point. That's, frankly, a pathetic excuse. And what depth chart do you see Hubenak as the 4th string QB on? He is the 2. Don't exaggerate. We were both on our second QB, and we were supposedly a top 10 team. But as has become the norm under Sumlin, we were a fraud. And it will only go downhill from here because the recruiting is some of the worst in the west.

You like 295ers in the 4-3? The only move Allen has that would work on the edge is the bull rush. And that is unlikely to work in the NFL in 1.5 seconds like it does for him now. If you made him your DE in a 4-3, we'd be sitting here in a year continuing to lament the fact that all our DEs and LBs are "specialty guys." If you're going with J. Allen, stick him at DE, and figure out once and for all whether Ogbah is an OLB or DE. Stop switching him.

Allen is your 3/4 tech and can play some 5 in certain looks.

Calling him a DE in a similar mold of Garrett would be schematically and athletically incorrect.

Tape I just watched of allen he looks damn good coming in from the 9. Yeah the 5 would seem like a decent fit too but the 3? He'd have to get up over 300 for that. I like the idea of an athletic 285-290 lb DE

You like 295ers in the 4-3? The only move Allen has that would work on the edge is the bull rush. And that is unlikely to work in the NFL in 1.5 seconds like it does for him now. If you made him your DE in a 4-3, we'd be sitting here in a year continuing to lament the fact that all our DEs and LBs are "specialty guys." If you're going with J. Allen, stick him at DE, and figure out once and for all whether Ogbah is an OLB or DE. Stop switching him.

I can see Allen inside a 4-3 paired with Danny shading the Center's shoulder... kind of a thunder and lightening interior. He could be Aaron Donald-ish inside. But agree that 3-4 DE is his best position.

Without seeing less behind that o line and having zeke behind him I couldn't be 100%. Yes eye test certainly looks better but again, after a couple free shots from primary front line rushers does dak look the same?

Same? No, but he has escapability that Kess doesn't have.... and he could add a true, read-option edge threat that Hogan only pulled off in one, surprise appearance. I thought Dak could be another Russell Wilson and that's what I see.

And Dak is built to take those free shots better than any Browns QB since... Otto? Or at least since Quinn the muscle-puppy...

Archived