THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Trubisky

domcucch1994

Looks like the illustrious John David Booty played a majority of the 07 season.

So Sanchez started one full year.

If they played 13 games and Sanchez played in 8, that would be the majority of the season would it not. Seeing as how 8 is more than 5?

However...the point stays the same.....a one year college starter is a huge red flag for me.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching the Clemson game, it showed me that Trubisky is leaps and bounds better than Watson. Fuck the stat lines. Even though Carolina lost, that last drive gave me the feeling that with Trubisky, your team will always be in the game. The only QB we've had that gave me that feeling since '99 was Brian Hoyer a couple years ago when he had like 3-4 game winning drives. However, Trubisky has way better intangibles than Hoyer. If we go QB #1, it better be Mitch.

But what the fuck do I know

IIRC, Derek Carr's bowl game wasn't very flattering either.

Good point! It's possible for a really good QB to play on a mediocre college team. For example, I think Jim Kelly was something like 7-4 or 7-5 in his last year at Miami.

Trubisky's line didn't pass pro well at all in the 2 games I watched vrs NC State & Stanford. Both times that got compounded by multiple drops. The last time NC had the ball vrs Stanford, he drove his team for a TD. Unfortunately, they missed the 2 point conversion that would have tied the game.

One of my favorite QBs (Brian Sipe) was really good at making me forget his bad days with the magic he made in the last 2 minutes when his margin of error was down to zero and anything less than poised and precise meant no dice. I saw some similar last drive magic from Trubisky that lesser QBs wouldn't have been able to do. Keep in mind, it took the poor guy 2 accurate throws in the end zone to get that 1 TD. Another nice throw to Switzer at the goal line got batted down by a DB at the last second.

He has some goodies for the right team to work with. I'm just not sure that's us. Until we make this an easier place to play QB, I have a bad feeling Trubisky would just be another name on a t-shirt we're not proud of. The Jimmy G idea seems like a better fit for us.

We did the one-year starter thing a week or so ago. Cam was the only "solid" example albeit with an asterisk due to the JUCO year.

Any QB can have an "off game". It's the reasons he had one that have to be examined.

Have no fear..... Soon he will put on a pair of shorts and pull over a lycra tank top and dazzle everyone in attendance with his rocket arm and laser like precision - and if we're lucky, he may even run around the little orange cones really fast, which will further cement his #1 overall status.

But will he wear a helmet?

a quick look at the CBS board shows Trubisky just fell all the way back to 16....and now Watson has climbed into the first position....

Fickle media switches up completely from one game.....

I don't think it's done changing quickly either Mud.

I'm looking forward to Alabama's defense weighing in on where he belongs. That's the closest thing he'll see to an NFL Defense coached up by a former NFL DC/HC.

I don't think it's done changing quickly either Mud.

I'm looking forward to Alabama's defense weighing in on where he belongs. That's the closest thing he'll see to an NFL Defense coached up by a former NFL DC/HC.

I think they all belong in later rounds(or other teams).....thats what I think.....;)

I think they all belong in later rounds(or other teams).....thats what I think..... ;)

Me too. Supply and demand never seems to be compatible with "Oh, Cleveland needs a QB?"

That said, we have had chances to draft Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rapen, Russell Wilson, and Derek Carr. That was many moons after we were more interested in Scott Milanovich over Kurt Warner (expansion draft) and Spergon Wynn over Tom Brady (NFL draft).

It's not always the first round we should be looking to for our situation. We need to make this an easier place to play QB. We can start by fielding a defense that decreases scoring while producing turnovers and points in the process.

We can start by fielding a defense that decreases scoring while producing turnovers and points in the process.

exactly.....and a D that puts the O on the field more often......

And....if were not gonna score a lot.....and were not gonna win a lot(initially).....lets at least have a little fun pounding some asses into the mud......

A lot was said about this season and how it "would be fun".....HA!....(not the case)......BUT, if we were busting some asses and wrecking some QB's, now THAT woulda been fun......lets make a plan to do this.....next year!

And....if were not gonna score a lot.....and were not gonna win a lot(initially).....lets at least have a little fun pounding some asses into the mud......

A lot was said about this season and how it "would be fun".....HA!....(not the case)......BUT, if we were busting some asses and wrecking some QB's, now THAT woulda been fun......lets make a plan to do this.....next year!

It's gotta be better than watching our defense look like a chicken coop with firecrackers going off in it.

a quick look at the CBS board shows Trubisky just fell all the way back to 16....and now Watson has climbed into the first position....

Watson is a turnover machine, he reminds me of Michael Vick 2.0.

After watching the Clemson game, it showed me that Trubisky is leaps and bounds better than Watson. Fuck the stat lines. Even though Carolina lost, that last drive gave me the feeling that with Trubisky, your team will always be in the game. The only QB we've had that gave me that feeling since '99 was Brian Hoyer a couple years ago when he had like 3-4 game winning drives. However, Trubisky has way better intangibles than Hoyer. If we go QB #1, it better be Mitch.

But what the fuck do I know

You are not alone in that thinking, I saw first hand, many times, during his HS career drive the field and produce when it was needed the most.

I like that plan as well. I'm not sold on Triblowski...I watched the 2nd half of that game and he looks like a guy who needs a lot of work and that's not a guy I'd like taking in the top 10 of the first round when we could pick a couple of defensive wrecking balls. That dude from Tennessee looked impressive and broke Reggie Whites school record for sacks. Allen from Alabama and that guy in the first round and watch how much better the team gets.

One so-so game drops you 15 spots? Ohhhh- I just LOVE that super stud Watson- NOT!!!

Watson is a turnover machine, he reminds me of Michael Vick 2.0.

No, not exactly. He more reminds me of the guy we already have on our roster. RG III. Vick- who I watched extensively in college had by far the better arm. Great college qb, with a skill set that will, IMHO opinion not translate well to the NFL. Forget about running Deshawn- you're no 250 pound Cam Newton. Accuracy below NFL standards, and those high arching rainbows you toss on the deep outs are going to get run down by NFL corner backs. Even OSUs did likewise. If some scouts have him in the 3rd round- sounds about right. Mitch is 5X the pro prospect.

One so-so game drops you 15 spots? Ohhhh- I just LOVE that super stud Watson- NOT!!!

No, not exactly. He more reminds me of the guy we already have on our roster. RG III. Vick- who I watched extensively in college had by far the better arm. Great college qb, with a skill set that will, IMHO opinion not translate well to the NFL. Forget about running Deshawn- you're no 250 pound Cam Newton. Accuracy below NFL standards, and those high arching rainbows you toss on the deep outs are going to get run down by NFL corner backs. Even OSUs did likewise. If some scouts have him in the 3rd round- sounds about right. Mitch is 5X the pro prospect.

I live in NC so I saw a lot of Trubisky and Watson. I really watched Watson and Clemson games because he had a lot of hype. He was OK overall and I am shocked he was a Heisman candidate, he was awful in some games like NCSU and Troy. He missed too many throws and makes too many dumb throws. I was disaffected by Watson early on. Trubisky needs work, but he is more accurate and his long ball is better and in general makes better decisions. But he may need to sit a year.

While I'd rather go the Jimmy G route at QB I can see why Hoorta, Gipper and others have some queer eye for Trubi-sky. I couldn't wait to watch him yesterday to see if he could overcome some questions I had.

I've seen 2 games his team lost this year. Both times his Receivers had multiple drops while he really impressed me at escaping trouble. His line kept him in trouble a lot so Cleveland might not be as big of a culture shock as some may think. The one thing he didn't always do when he escaped trouble was keep his eyes down field for WRs breaking open. Ben Rapen used to do that a lot early on when he was less seasoned before he started hitting WRs/RBs/TEs breaking open after/while escaping pocket pressure.

Potential red flags: Locking onto the primary target doesn't project one is ready to read progressions against more complicated NFL schemes. It also leads to turnovers as we saw. Starting only 1 year keeps a lot of questions in play for a potential investor.

Potential buried treasure: Does not panic under pressure, which prepares him well for a line like our's. He's learned he needs to get rid of it quickly. Also, if someone drops a pass in the end zone - he proved he can overcome it with another accurate throw in the end zone. Big, strong, elusive and accurate doesn't suck either.

If you invest in a QB - you have to protect your investment (with better surroundings/protection than the Coyote Ugly we have continued to give QBs here since 99). Look no further than the difference in settings that Goff and Prescott were given. Handing a young QB a 7-0 deficit every time he has his 1st possession doesn't help at all.

WIthout a doubt we need to seriously invest in fixing the OL. RT was awful all season, center wasn't great either. Will definitely help though getting Greco and Bitonio back we were better up front when they were there.

I like that plan as well. I'm not sold on Triblowski...I watched the 2nd half of that game and he looks like a guy who needs a lot of work and that's not a guy I'd like taking in the top 10 of the first round when we could pick a couple of defensive wrecking balls. That dude from Tennessee looked impressive and broke Reggie Whites school record for sacks. Allen from Alabama and that guy in the first round and watch how much better the team gets.

I could live with Allen and Barnett, but I think our FO would have to trade up to get him. He is a top 10er.

WIthout a doubt we need to seriously invest in fixing the OL. RT was awful all season, center wasn't great either. Will definitely help though getting Greco and Bitonio back we were better up front when they were there.

The RT the Titans drafted after trading down from their 1st pick overall was a HUGE spark. He also kept the impressive pass rushing edges of KC and Denver without a sack while their running game improved a whole heapa-hope-a...

Gippers boner is solely because he's a Cleveland-ish guy.

Well, you are a fucking idiot if you think that. Go ahead, say it to yourself: "I, Tim Couch Pulls out, am a fucking idiot". After you say it you will see how right it sounds.

Guaranteed he wouldn't give a fuck otherwise if the guy was from anywhere else. He's probably only watched one ESPN highlight reel and declared him to be "better than anyone from the last two years".

And you are so much smarter, because, what? You have transgender notions?

Guaranteed he ends up with a lower draft profile score than Winston, Goff and probably Mariota too. Possibly even Bortles and Wentz.

And maybe lower than Brandon Weeden, and Brady Quinn, and Johnny Manziel, and Ryan Leaf.

Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson and who knows who else probably had lower scores than those guys as well.

I will take the next Aaron Rodgers.

Not sure. Left the door open though. As the NFL article said- far from a finished product. I like his upside. If we could get Garrett\Allen and Mitch, I'd be very happy. Don't even know yet if he'll declare or not, and if he does, the combine awaits. If he's in the draft, I can't see him falling out of the top 5. Of those teams, only the Jags might not be interested in a QB upgrade.

There is hardly a QB in NFL history that came out near to a finished product. You can probably count on one hand those QBs that were that.

Marino (but not Elway)

Otto Graham

Maybe Russell Wilson

I mean, fuck.....RGIII had what is considered one of the best rookie seasons ever in NFL history.

not Payton Manning, not Tom Brady, not Terry Bradshaw, not Troy Aikman

That's the problem. NFL teams don't draft in accordance with the "fickle media" rankings.

Sure, if the Browns could get a killer defensive player with #1, and Trubisky with #12, I would be all for it. But everyone knows that is a Steelerfanstupid concept. 49ers, Jets, Bears, Bills all may be looking for QBs. Last year's draft proves that medium rated QBs will go in top 5, or Top 2.

Does anyone honestly think that Watson and MT will not both be drafted Top 5?

Archived