THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

18 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Tomorrow we make Portuguese soup starting with 1Lb. browned Elgin Smoked Pork Sausage with Garlic.

Good stuff.

Sounds good.  My favorite restaurant in town is a Portuguese restaurant.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:08 PM, mjp28 said:

OK this is my wife's mother's old HELEN'S HOMEMADE BARBECUE SAUCE  we've always liked it. Remember  its a good idea to double the quantities to make a little more. 

NOTE:  one typed page is just the ingredients page the second hand written page are my wife's instructions.  Oh and you get a bonus HELEN'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE.    :)

So here it is, and any questions or comments just let me know. 

Bon Appétit  !

IMG_8715002.jpg

20220531_212823.jpeg

Sir, this comes awfully close to reading a handwritten first edition of the good book. Must try this next time we light up the kamado!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Sir, this comes awfully close to reading a handwritten first edition of the good book. Must try this next time we light up the kamado!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    :D   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope that you enjoy it.  Oh a little background information on our family and cooking,  my grandmother was the best cook I've ever known and worked as a cook on and off her whole life.  My mother used to cook for her 5 boys, dad, her, my grandfather,  8 of us "army style "  big meals on a budget. 

My wife Nancy I can honestly say is now besides cooking with her mother is now a "scratch" cook.  I'm a good cook she's much better.   We both enjoy watching cooking shows   -but-  she watches even more than I do.

And Helen, her mother a full blooded Ukrainian,  she just passed away in 2019 at 95 and would have lived to be 100+ if she didn't slip and fall and broke her hip.  An amazing lady and cook, she used to make I'm not kidding full blown Christmas and Easter meals for us until she was 93 +/-.  Ham, kielbasa,  Helen's incredible breaded baked chicken (ummm-mmm), scalloped potatoes,  mashed potatoes, * her deviled eggs, * homemade Paska bread, vegetables,  dessert and then some.....all by herself.   OMG.

Well my wife now a retired nurse just told me that her mother used to make Helen's Spaghetti Sauce when she was a kid, that simple but good recipe may have come from her grandmother or earlier. 

SO food is meant to be enjoyed and shared,  that's why I started this favorite GAMEDAY foods forum on another board about 17+ years ago and continued it here.  I also have a private friends and family recipe email that we enjoy. 

And Bon Appétit.....  exclamation used as a salutation to a person about to eat.  Or  good appetite : enjoy your meal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    🍽️   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 1

I grew up on real deal Italian food... It is a SIN to add sugar to the sauce... Use more Onions... Same effect without all of the gas Sugar can give you...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nickers said:

I grew up on real deal Italian food... It is a SIN to add sugar to the sauce... Use more Onions... Same effect without all of the gas Sugar can give you...

That is one point that I've heard before,  one person's secret ingredient is another's never go there. 

It's why cooking is such a subjective thing so whether it's manga  or whatever enjoy cooking !  

And don't be afraid to try new things.    ;)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, nickers said:

I just clicked around BEST EVER Homemade Italian Spaghetti Sauce,  most are basically like this  

(  *from a typical recipe...This homemade spaghetti sauce recipe was passed down from my Sicilian grandma. It has been used for generations, and you can’t mess it up! It is really easy and tastes SO much better than the store-bought sauce. I love that you can make this in a crock-pot, too (my favorite crockpot is this one!); no need to spend hours babysitting the stove making sure it doesn’t burn....  )

Ingredients....* NOTE: this is basically how you make homemade spaghetti sauce. * Great for a GAMEDAY side dish, a get-together or a family meal. Oh I'm often rereading and tweaking recipes or posts.

• 2 TSBP olive oil
  • 1/2 onion finely chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic minced
  • 3 28 oz. cans of Crushed Tomatoes either regular or with basil, oregano and garlic 28 oz. sized cans OR 12-15 fresh tomatoes (peeled, chopped and blended in a food processor)
  • 1 Tbsp Salt
  • 4 Tbsp Basil
  • 1 tsp Black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar optional  <--- note the optional ingredient, my mother-in-law 3 TBSP
  • 1/3 cup Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese

Edited by mjp28

• mjp28 changed the title to ★ Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.
On 6/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, mjp28 said:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    :D   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope that you enjoy it.  Oh a little background information on our family and cooking,  my grandmother was the best cook I've ever known and worked as a cook on and off her whole life.  My mother used to cook for her 5 boys, dad, her, my grandfather,  8 of us "army style "  big meals on a budget. 

My wife Nancy I can honestly say is now besides cooking with her mother is now a "scratch" cook.  I'm a good cook she's much better.   We both enjoy watching cooking shows   -but-  she watches even more than I do.

And Helen, her mother a full blooded Ukrainian,  she just passed away in 2019 at 95 and would have lived to be 100+ if she didn't slip and fall and broke her hip.  An amazing lady and cook, she used to make I'm not kidding full blown Christmas and Easter meals for us until she was 93 +/-.  Ham, kielbasa,  Helen's incredible breaded baked chicken (ummm-mmm), scalloped potatoes,  mashed potatoes, * her deviled eggs, * homemade Paska bread, vegetables,  dessert and then some.....all by herself.   OMG.

Well my wife now a retired nurse just told me that her mother used to make Helen's Spaghetti Sauce when she was a kid, that simple but good recipe may have come from her grandmother or earlier. 

SO food is meant to be enjoyed and shared,  that's why I started this favorite GAMEDAY foods forum on another board about 17+ years ago and continued it here.  I also have a private friends and family recipe email that we enjoy. 

And Bon Appétit.....  exclamation used as a salutation to a person about to eat.  Or  good appetite : enjoy your meal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~    🍽️   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Slavic cuisine often does not get the appreciation it deserves. My friends from Poland and travelling there opened my eyes. Bigos stew has become a favorite of mine. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Slavic cuisine often does not get the appreciation it deserves. My friends from Poland and travelling there opened my eyes. Bigos stew has become a favorite of mine. 

That's true a lot has to do with the location,  climate and politics of the day.   ...... "You eat what you can grow " has a lot to do with it.  My mother-in-law is 100% Ukrainian my father-in-law is 100% Hungarian,  wow what a mix.  My dad is 100% Ukrainian my mother is where it splits out she's Irish,  English a touch of Dutch and a different cooking style. 

Slavic cusine is heavily influenced by potatoes,  sausages, spices and more.  It doesn't lack in variety. Meat dishes, spicy spreads, pastries, rich soups. Many of these dishes have a long history behind them, being part of regional traditions, others were borrowed from other countries and have cemented their place in Slavic cuisine.  I've even noticed that within the Slavic churches and restaurants I've seen.

You can see that in other cuisines even the very popular Italian cooking.  It varies from Southern to Northern Italy again..... "You eat what you can grow"  plus Italian food has been influenced over the centuries by trade from everywhere. 

Slavic cooking, want a start try the church cookbooks and the bubbas old recipes !  We started collecting cookbooks when we got married in 1981,  got a nice start there. In 1984 from June - October I was an outside electrical salesman covering 8 counties in WPA/OH well I stopped by every church festival and got a lot of  "pure gold" grandma's recipes in church cookbooks for sale.  All for a few bucks or yard sale prices.

Plus when friends would come over to eat they'd bring what else cookbooks for our collection.   We had to politely say STOP !

Our collection now has grown to 100++ books in every genre you can imagine  but the casseroles and grannies are among our favorites.  All at budget prices, just check Amazon used books.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not put up a recipe in awhile here's a good  one.  :) 

What's just perfect for a GAMEDAY,  picnic or any family get-together how about some OLD TIME HOTDOG SAUCE !  And  check  ✔️  out the notes below for some additional recipes and tips to go along with the great American cookout food hotdogs  🌭  ummm-ummm. 

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

SERVES  10    COOK TIME  20 MINUTES 

Spruce up your hot dogs with a savory topping that's really yummy and comes together in no time. Our Old Time Hot Dog Sauce is beefy, flavorful, and all-American. It's just what your hot dogs need to take them from ordinary to extraordinary!

✔️    What You'll Need

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (15-1/2-ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup water

✔️   What to Do

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté ground beef and onion 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is browned, stirring often.

2. Add remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, lower heat, and simmer 7 to 10 minutes, or until heated through and well combined, stirring occasionally.

✔️     Notes....some great 🌭 hotdog go-alongs.

Old-Time-Hot-Dog-Sauce_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1384396.jpg

on a basic note - I made 24 pints of vidalia onion relish two weeks ago. It was perfect - outstanding for sandwiches and hot dogs.

The first night, I was up til 3 AM dicing onions. Need a faster dicer than my little walnut chopper. lol

24 large vidalia onions, 2 medium size cabbages, 16 large bell peppers - I don't like the green ones, so only used red/orange and yellow.... and plenty of spices - turmeric, celery seed, sugar......etc. Outstanding on hotdogs. Only two pints didn't seal, but they didn't last long in the fridge - our friends like family from NC were staying with us, .... vidalia onion relish from a store isn't as good at all. The key is, to peel the peppers while they are crisp. The relish is way sweeter.

• Upvote 2

On 5/31/2022 at 7:11 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

Down here there's always a roll of paper towels on the table and butcher paper underneath so you can eat sloppy ole BBQ ribs with lotsa sauce all over 'em.😊 And if you don't grab a little hand cleaner packet or 4 on your way out, then ya just didn't eat 'em right.🤣

Cool.  I don't do sloppy.  If a burger looks too big I use a knife and fork.

On 5/31/2022 at 10:08 PM, mjp28 said:

OK this is my wife's mother's old HELEN'S HOMEMADE BARBECUE SAUCE  we've always liked it. Remember  its a good idea to double the quantities to make a little more. 

NOTE:  one typed page is just the ingredients page the second hand written page are my wife's instructions.  Oh and you get a bonus HELEN'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE.    :)

So here it is, and any questions or comments just let me know. 

Bon Appétit  !

IMG_8715002.jpg

20220531_212823.jpeg

Seems like a lot of repetitive work to me.  I just take a soild bottle of BBQ and add my own flair.  Maybe some brown sugar or molasses if it needs more sweet.  Maybe some vinegar or lemon juice if it is too sweet.  Maybe a little liquid smoke if I want that, a few different spices or hot sauce if it needs that.

As for tomato gravy, I use a can or two of San Marziano tomato's with basil.  3'4 sticks of butter and 1 large onion peeled and cut through the pole, not the equator....and simmer out for 4 hours, covered.  Remove the onion half's and you are good to go.

Obviously you stir regularly and crush up the tomato as you go.  I will usually add some diced garlic at the beginning, and maybe a extra basil leaf or two from my herb garden.  For Sunday gravy, just half cook the meatballs, or a portion of them and let them finish cooking while simmering in the gravy to release some of their greasy goodness in to the pot.

Just as a point, I am sure the BBQ is very good.  In the end, I don't use enough to really care all that much.

2 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Cool.  I don't do sloppy.  If a burger looks too big I use a knife and fork.

You're just a pussy like my wife. Damn R.I. Yankee thinks she needs a knife and fork to eat fried chicken too🐔. If Ya wanna eat ribs right ya gotta be able to gnaw on 'em. And if a steak doesn't say "Moo!" when ya cut into it, ya left it on the coals too long.🐄🤗😋

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You're just a pussy like my wife. Damn R.I. Yankee thinks she needs a knife and fork to eat fried chicken too🐔. If Ya wanna eat ribs right ya gotta be able to gnaw on 'em. And if a steak doesn't say "Moo!" when ya cut into it, ya left it on the coals too long.🐄🤗😋

14 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I eat ribs with my hands for the most part and make sure the bones are clean.  I just don't like sauce all over my hands and everywhere else.  I agree for the most part on steaks.  i may not do them rare but they have plenty of life in them and just warm. 

Chicken, it depends...hands for fried, fork for most else.  My Grandmama was a Cajun from Louisiana, Gramps was from Alabama.  I am not quite the Yankee my Ohio birth might indicate.  I know how to get after a mess of crawdads on a picnic table covered with newspaper.  My Mom cooked true to her upbringing.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

I eat ribs with my hands for the most part and make sure the bones are clean.  I just don't like sauce all over my hands and everywhere else.  I agree for the most part on steaks.  i may not do them rare but they have plenty of life in them and just warm. 

Chicken, it depends...hands for fried, fork for most else.  My Grandmama was a Cajun from Louisiana, Gramps was from Alabama.  I am not quite the Yankee my Ohio birth might indicate.  I know how to get after a mess of crawdads on a picnic table covered with newspaper.  My Mom cooked true to her upbringing.

Right it depends on the meal and the company and other factors how you prepare and eat stuff.

If it's just my wife and me we generally keep it simple and cleanup easy.  A bigger group and a whole bunch of food might be different. 

And yes I often eat things with a knife and fork it all depends on the details, number of guests, etc. 

Big quantities or easy meals for two.  No matter what bon appetit,  and enjoy your meals. 

4 hours ago, ballpeen said:

My Grandmama was a Cajun from Louisiana, Gramps was from Alabama.  I am not quite the Yankee my Ohio birth might indicate.  I know how to get after a mess of crawdads on a picnic table covered with newspaper.  My Mom cooked true to her upbringing.

Ok, now we're talkin'! Born and lived my first 12 plus 7 mo. in Beaumont (yeah French for beautiful mountain but there were none), Texas just miles from Cajunland, but far more Cajun than any other part of Texas and deep in the heart of rice growing lands. I love crawfish better'n lobster!!😋 And there's no Cajun food I won't eat with gusto.🤗

• Like 2

19 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Ok, now we're talkin'! Born and lived my first 12 plus 7 mo. in Beaumont (yeah French for beautiful mountain but there were none), Texas just miles from Cajunland, but far more Cajun than any other part of Texas and deep in the heart of rice growing lands. I love crawfish better'n lobster!!😋 And there's no Cajun food I won't eat with gusto.🤗

Never cared for Cajun cuisine... But I love Muffaletta... Which is actually a Sicilian creation brought over by Sicilian immigrants...  I was raised on Tapenade and Olive salad... My grandfather came from Sicily...

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, nickers said:

Never cared for Cajun cuisine... But I love Muffaletta... Which is actually a Sicilian creation brought over by Sicilian immigrants...  I was raised on Tapenade and Olive salad... My grandfather came from Sicily...

I'm not a fan of olives in general, but I love it in a really good Mexican dip down here that includes black olives, guacamole, cheese, bean paste, tomatos, sauce, etc. I don't mind it on the "everything you can load on Pizza" either. But stranger still is that when I can find it I'm the only one who loves just a plain ole anchovy with cheese and tomato sauce pizza. Never had a pizza before I lived in Venezuela, but they had a pizzaria owned/operated by Italian immigrants just a few blocks away and that is what they started me with. Love those salty little devils on pizza.😋

That gives my age away. Pizza Hut was founded in Kansas in 1958 and had several locations there within a year. Left for Venezuela in 1959. I'm sure cal would say stopping for a refueling at the Havana airport made a commie outa me.😱🤠 It was a 4 prop DC-7. Damn I'm old!💩

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh yes !  I've been on an olive appetizer kick lately with black olives, green Manzanillo olives and some artichoke hearts right out of the jar......Mmm-mmm.   Oh yeah.   :D 

You're making me hungry for it now   -but-   that's what the GAMEDAY favorite foods thread is all about everyone sharing their favorite foods and recipes on just one nice common thread on The BROWNS BOARD. 

★ Going strong here since 2017  and about 18 years now on another now closed board and still on my private email for friends and family   -and-  available to any of you if you're interested,  just give me your email address. 

That's why I do this thread and private email for all of you to exchange ideas and enjoy new recipes. I thank you for over 57,000 views and over 2,400 replies and of course........bon appetit  !     💛

I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! 🤑🤑🤑🤑 Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

Smoked Chicken Wings.  You will not do it any other way again. 

Dry Rubbed hours In advance.  I use Chica Licka Bam Bam Bird Rub and some Franks Red Hot Dry Rub and generous with salt and pepper.  
If you can’t find this rub The Bird Rub is Black Pepper, Paprika, Cayenne, Garlic, Mustard, Thyme. 

I use apple and mesquite wood chips for my smoker. Apple is great wood chip for anything chicken. I cook the first hour and half on low 225 and then I crank the heat the last 30- 45 mins - I get it up to 325.   You see a little bourbon in the pic- you can’t smoke without the bourbon. 

08A581C4-741A-4905-99A7-2421DEB340D8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, nickers said:

I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! 🤑🤑🤑🤑 Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

I remembered that you like the olives and artichokes which are a big part of my appetizers. 

I buy them by the 12 can box from Amazon and delivered to our house with a asparagus,  French style green beans, spinach and other canned and bottled products.   Saves us a lot of carrying and I do check prices.

★ And I checked for SD's chicka licka bam bam rub there on Amazon pantry not listed so it will be hard to find. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

I remembered that you like the olives and artichokes which are a big part of my appetizers. 

I buy them by the 12 can box from Amazon and delivered to our house with a asparagus,  French style green beans, spinach and other canned and bottled products.   Saves us a lot of carrying and I do check prices.

★ And I checked for SD's chicka licka bam bam rub there on Amazon pantry not listed so it will be hard to find. 

I see it regularly at a Place called Food4Less.  It is like the East cost ALDIs.

I just did a search online and Walmart has it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I see it regularly at a Place called Food4Less.  It is like the East cost ALDIs.

I just did a search online and Walmart has it. 

Ta da at our local Aldis in boardman ohio.....well Walmart.  $6.98.

Screenshot_2022-06-19_214237.jpg

23 hours ago, nickers said:

Green and black olives straight were two of my gag reflex foods as a kid, the other being cold canned asparagus🤮. But the one year I lived in Caracas we had several year round avocado bearing trees and we used a long pole with an open ended tin can to fit over them up in the tree. If they rattled off with a gentle rattle, they were perfect for eating. We had them every day in so many different ways I lost track. Nothing like a half avocado with French Dressing in the hole where the seed resided. Just use a decent sized spoon to dig some out along with the dressing for a good side snack with dinner. Our local grocer makes a really great guacamole dip too.   YUM!!!😋

EDIT: Seafood? Baked in butter, broiled, blackened, etc.  is great with the only exception being catfish that tastes just like the bottom dweller that it is. I can eat a pound or more of shrimp any ole way you want to give it to me. Fried crawfish tails are great too.😂

• Upvote 2