THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

On 6/19/2022 at 2:32 PM, mjp28 said:

Oh yes !  I've been on an olive appetizer kick lately with black olives, green Manzanillo olives and some artichoke hearts right out of the jar......Mmm-mmm.   Oh yeah.   :D 

You're making me hungry for it now   -but-   that's what the GAMEDAY favorite foods thread is all about everyone sharing their favorite foods and recipes on just one nice common thread on The BROWNS BOARD. 

★ Going strong here since 2017  and about 18 years now on another now closed board and still on my private email for friends and family   -and-  available to any of you if you're interested,  just give me your email address. 

That's why I do this thread and private email for all of you to exchange ideas and enjoy new recipes. I thank you for over 57,000 views and over 2,400 replies and of course........bon appetit  !     💛

No matter what kinds of olives or other appetizers and different types of seafood it's interesting to see what other people eat and how they cook it.

Thanks again for your input and ideas.   :)

• Thanks 2

On 6/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, mjp28 said:

No matter what kinds of olives or other appetizers and different types of seafood it's interesting to see what other people eat and how they cook it.

Thanks again for your input and ideas.   :)

I will post my wife's recipe for fresh picked blackberry crisp as soon as she makes some from the fruit off our in-laws blackberry farm. They are so good I had a bowlful of 'em with just cream & sucralose yesterday.😋

• Like 1

Blackberry Crisp

2 lbs. fresh farm picked blackberries

1 TBS Water

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

3/4 tsp salt

2 1/4 cup flour

1 1/2 cup very softened butter

Put the blackberries in the bottom of a butter greased 9 X 13 X 2 in deep glass pan. Combine all other ingredients with an electric mixer and spread evenly over the berries. Cover with alum. foil and bake at 350F for 30 min. Uncover and bake at same temp another 30 minutes. Cool until you can stand the heat.  Yummy!!

PS-you can put a little fresh cream on it in a bowl if you want.

• Thanks 1

^^^^  Showed my wife your wife's recipe, she is going to make it.  :D

Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

You can also use that on 2 lbs. sliced fresh apples or peaches. Even better when it's peaches and blackberries together. Anyway let me know how you liked it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Takes me way, way back we had fields full of blackberries behind our house.   As kids we'd get pots, bowls, whatever and go picking blackberries and take them to my aunt Ann or aunt Julie they generally made blackberry pies out of them.

Super delicious memories as kids.   We also ate tons of them in the fields, so good along with the occasional scratches.

last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

last year, I picked 11.5 lbs of wild blackberries, and made jam. It is excellent. Dandelion jelly is also really good.

Oh yeah,  takes me back my grandpa Andrew (1880-1967) he was a farmer in the Ukraine before coming to America around 1912. His father was killed in 1897 in a wagon accident changing out a big wagon wheel.  Life got very hard for a 17 year old young Ukrainian farm boy and his soon to be young family. 

He was an excellent grafter of trees especially fruit trees, before his legs failed him around 1964-5 he was in the fields or barn everyday.   We had 10 varieties of fruit trees on our property.  We canned all of the vegetables and more that we ate....eventually grew to be 8 of us.  But we did it, my dad was a good teacher. 

Grandpa also developed his own varieties of seeds for our garden year after year.   He also hand made a lot of wooden tools including the best all wood rakes many without a nail or screw, amazing guy. 

As kids we didn't think that much about it but he was a self made totally independent person.  After coming to America a few years later he saved up and bought about 5 acres out in the sticks adjacent to an apple orchard no gas, electricity, water buit a house by hand, dug a well, built a barn and raised 5 children.  Had to add another floor on the house and a kitchen and bath...by then they had electricity and city water.When I was about 6 we got natural gas so out goes the coal furnace and the slick small new gas furnace was here. 

What an amazing life he left for his kids and grandkids.  What an amazing guy.  

Maybe that's why I have such a natural love of good food and eating.   And bon appetit to you all.   :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I used to pick wild dewberries and wild Muscadine grapes, both native to Texas, which my grandmother would cook down to jams which she canned in mason jars. She made it really thick for spreading on toast. One of my regrets is not watching what she did to cook it down so I could duplicate it later in life after her passing. Lost knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

He was an excellent grafter of trees especially fruit trees,

Oh, I wish I knew how to graft apple trees. I've read up on it, but....

we have about five - don't get many apples? but I know where I could get a branch of an old transparent apple tree. What an amazing cooking apple. Which branch to use, etc. I don't know, wish I did. That is an amazing story of a man bringing his family to America, and put in all that know how and smarts to build a farm and raise a family. Wow. An amazing generation.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Oh, I wish I knew how to graft apple trees. I've read up on it, but....

we have about five - don't get many apples? but I know where I could get a branch of an old transparent apple tree.

My wife says that if you or mjp decide to use that Blackberry Crisp recipe with apples instead of blackberries, she uses Granny Smith apples sliced thin. My first cousin was raised on a farm near Waco, but is now retired to Virginia where he resides on a very large orchard with apples, peaches, blackberries, plums and maybe even pecans (not sure on that). Sells a lot fresh on his own roadside stand and cans a ton of it too for sale and for friends/family. Makes pickles out of his cucumbers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

......Sells a lot fresh on his own roadside stand and cans a ton of it too for sale and for friends/family. Makes pickles out of his cucumbers.

My grandmother on my mother's side who was the best cook I've ever seen was the excellent canner.  She made peppers from mild to tangy mainly for my lunches down the mill those big Hungarian banana peppers.......OMG !   And she made pickles like I've never bought anywhere.  But she had a big wooden barrel in our fruit cellar where she took heads of cabbage and in time just like magic we had the best sauerkraut you could ever want so tender......I can close my eyes and just smell it.....so delicious. 

The only difficult part someone had to roll up their sleeves, take the weight and lid off and fish out a few more heads but it was so worth it,  ummm-ummm.  (as oldest boy it was my job)

When we built our big new house for 8 my mom's mother and father moved into our old house and culinary heaven was on.  Grandma was working in her last cook job before retiring next to us.  Oh that fruit cellar what an unforgettable smell. ‐but-   that's where the good stuff was !

Oh you guys are making me hungry  for my younger and so enjoyable younger life.   

Memories. 

That same grandmother always put away a calf or two in her freezer from the farm and made the most delicious and very tender roasts in her large covered iron skillet cooking low like a crock pot. So I did what she said about continuing to use the same iron skillet and wash it out afterwards with only water and no soap so that it gained "seasoning" as she called it. I used mine for a couple years and it just never seemed to get any better. I then found out my wife was going behind me cleaning it with hot soapy water because she could not believe it was not unsanitary to just use water alone. I had to explain multiple times that the skillet gets hot enough to kill off any little living critters still in it because it cooked all day on a low boil. She never would take the the word of my more experienced grandmother, so I never got my seasoned skillet that could duplicate those great tasting granny roasts.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That same grandmother always put away a calf or two in her freezer from the farm and made the most delicious and very tender roasts in her large covered iron skillet cooking low like a crock pot. So I did what she said about continuing to use the same iron skillet and wash it out afterwards with only water and no soap so that it gained "seasoning" as she called it. I used mine for a couple years and it just never seemed to get any better. I then found out my wife was going behind me cleaning it with hot soapy water because she could not believe it was not unsanitary to just use water alone. I had to explain multiple times that the skillet gets hot enough to kill off any little living critters still in it because it cooked all day on a low boil. She never would take the the word of my more experienced grandmother, so I never got my seasoned skillet that could duplicate those great tasting granny roasts.

My little Grandma Ruby almost exclusively used cast iron for cooking and did it pretty much exactly like your grandmother. 

I'll take that as a 2-0.

Oh my wife does it the same way,  3-0.  I'll agree but I don't carry that kind of cooking expertise clout.   3.125 - 0 ?  :lol:

That reminds me - I once made my own sauerkraut - it was far more a great taste than any I have ever bought in a store.

I love dutch oven cooking. Pineapple upside-down cake, a great roast with veggies....buttermilk bisquits, cornbread......

I'm working on a group of recipes that use wild edibles - especially various versions of wilted lettuce salads..... like red clover blossoms in breads, salads, etc.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 3:23 PM, nickers said:

I love Olives... I hate seafood or anything that swims in the water... However... I love NE clam chowder... I absolutely can't stand Guac! 🤑🤑🤑🤑 Or Avacado for that matter.. And Cilantro makes me GAG!!

It took me a LONG to find another soul mate in the food department.. then Nickers came along.  Yup, my #1 rule is if it came out of the water, I don't eat it...  Cows wading in a pond get a pass.  :D 

Being a saltaholic I LOVE green olives, could eat a jar of them... But leave those nasty pimentos out... Whoever thought that improved their taste should be shot.  Blue cheese stuffing acceptable. To Cal's dismay- nothing improves the taste of gin like olives.  Give me a filthy Martini with 3:2 gin and olive juice.  Black olives are OK.   

Ditto the no guac for me too...  But I don't have a problem with cilantro.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

It took me a LONG to find another soul mate in the food department.. then Nickers came along.  Yup, my #1 rule is if it came out of the water, I don't eat it...  Cows wading in a pond get a pass.  :D .    

Well I'm not taking either of you two to my "secret" source of crawfish in Colorado of all places. In August they come upstream out of a reservior to go spawn at night. You take a strong flashlight or lantern and pick them right out of the shallow stream, de-tail 'em and quick char them on a grill. Use melted butter to soak them in and there you have what I fooled a friend into thinking were grilled baby lobster tails. Only way I could get that Bostonite to give crawfish tails a try. He loved them even after I clued him in to what they really were.

And give me a blacked or butter broiled redfish or flounder over a thick steak any day of the week. Nothin' better IMHungryO.😋

• Upvote 1

It just goes to show you there is almost nothing more selective on this earth than food.......but don't be afraid to try something new once in awhile. 

Nice too to hear your views on your most and least favorite food dishes.    I pretty much like to eat anything that won't eat me first.

Keep your favorite recipes coming    ◆ GAMEDAY ◆     or just family favorites.   Both college and professional football will be here in August/ September  but grilling season is nearly all year long. 

Reminds me we haven't seen any of jcam's amazing   B)   grilling and other delicious looking shots lately. 

GO BROWNS and BUCKEYES  !  .  Ahhhh yes my favorite season    🏈     football season  !  

Here's a refreshing next pizza to try.

Want something deliciously different how about a  ◆  RUSTIC VEGGIE (PIZZA) PIE   ◆.  Great for the next  GAMEDAY  or any get-together or family meal but you might want to make two.  And  check  ✔  out the notes below. 

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

SERVES. 4.     COOK TIME   35  MINUTES      

Fresh veggies and crumbly cheese come together to form this simple and delicious Rustic Veggie Pie. Serve it as a side dish, appetizer, or even a tasty dinner pizza; either way it'll be a hit with the gang!

✔    What You'll Need

• 1 refrigerated pie crust (from a 14.1-ounce package)
  • 3 tablespoons Caesar dressing, divided
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1/4 cup slivered red onion
  • 3 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

✔    What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Unroll pie crust and place on a pizza pan; set aside.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon Caesar dressing; saute green pepper and onion 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add spinach, tomatoes, olives, 1/4 cup feta cheese, black pepper, and remaining Caesar dressing; toss until evenly coated.
  3. Spoon vegetable mixture onto pie crust, leaving a 1-1/2-inch border. Fold the edges of the pie crust toward the center, overlapping slightly and covering about 1-inch of vegetable mixture. Top with remaining feta cheese.
  4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.

✔    Notes

Making your own pizza is fun and the results are yummy! Here's a variation that your gang is sure to enjoy!  

Rustic-Veggie-Pie_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1209455-1.jpg

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Here's a refreshing next pizza to try.

Want something deliciously different how about a  ◆  RUSTIC VEGGIE (PIZZA) PIE   ◆.  Great for the next  GAMEDAY  or any get-together or family meal but you might want to make two.  And  check  ✔  out the notes below. 

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

SERVES. 4.     COOK TIME   35  MINUTES      

Fresh veggies and crumbly cheese come together to form this simple and delicious Rustic Veggie Pie. Serve it as a side dish, appetizer, or even a tasty dinner pizza; either way it'll be a hit with the gang!

✔    What You'll Need

• 1 refrigerated pie crust (from a 14.1-ounce package)
  • 3 tablespoons Caesar dressing, divided
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1/4 cup slivered red onion
  • 3 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

✔    What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Unroll pie crust and place on a pizza pan; set aside.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon Caesar dressing; saute green pepper and onion 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add spinach, tomatoes, olives, 1/4 cup feta cheese, black pepper, and remaining Caesar dressing; toss until evenly coated.
  3. Remove the olives and give them to the dog.

✔    Notes

Making your own pizza is fun and the results are yummy! Here's a variation that your gang is sure to enjoy!  

FIFY.😉

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:
  • Fry the catfish for 3-5 mins per side (or total if deep frying) or until it’s as crispy as desired

• Drain on paper towels

• Enjoy tossing the whole thing in the trash and head out to Long John Silvers instead.😂
  • Haha 1

I've generally found when it comes to catfish  :

A.  You love it.  :)

B.  You hate it.   :(

And not much in between.   Agree ?  

I love olives - unless they are ripe (*I call those "rotten")..... outside of deep fried bluegill fillets, or ribs and how we like our baked beans..... I still love the old sage sausage, green tomatoes, and sweet banana peppers (one small medium hot), well sauteed that makes an awesome sub.

but hamburgers and hotdogs with my homemade vidalia onion relish - that is a treat. This fall, for Ohio State games, of course....

• Like 1

Today we're having cheeseburgers on the grill with all of the fixens during the Guardians Game 1 of 2.  Yes a DH on the 4th of July.   Game 1 of 2 starts at 1:10 pm.   Game 2 is at 6:40 pm from Detroit.

.........★ update on food..... 1.   My wife is making homemade potato salad, it is chilling in the frig. Ummm.  :)

2. She's cooking her special homemade baked beans now. Ummm-ummm. 

3.  She's working on the fixens.  I had oranges 🍊 and delicious red grapes for breakfast.  So delicious. 

4. We're having apple 🥧  pie and with vanilla ice cream for dessert later.

☆ ★  Have a safe and happy 4th of July everyone.  ★ ☆       :D 

Just the wife and I this year plus a few neighbors that may stop by.  Enjoy yourself this holiday.  

Edited by mjp28
  • Upvote 2

Smoked Tri Tip.

Need to trim up the Tri tip. I leave a little fat though. 

Start with a good Brown Sugar Rub (Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Brown Sugar).  I add a little ground dark roast coffee.

Slow and Low with Cherry and Hickory wood chips.  225 degrees.  This is a quick burn.  

3A196CBF-D3A5-4185-92E7-9C7C02708E08.jpeg

E22504DD-C815-4FDF-9F29-554A64BD6EAD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hi fellow GAMEDAY MEALS  and BROWNS fans,

Something different I've often mentioned that my wife the cook and herb gardener grows and dries about  ❤️  12-14 DIFFERENT HERBS we love  ❤️  every year somewhat depending on availability.  She also propagates,  uses starts and plants some from seeds depending on how they grow.

Well this year she moved about 75% of the herbs  to behind the house along with our cherry tomatoes already over 5' high. That bed at one time was flowers.    -but-    our local rabbit hoard just loves to eat them    -and-   she won't let me hunt them so.....guess what rabbits,  deer and others  hate  most herbs in fact we used to plant them around the flowers for protection.  We had a HUGE flower bed on the other side of our brick patio with the grill. 

SO she took a picture from our deck at the new herb garden.  She has a green thumb just like her late father Lou.

And homegrown herbs taste way, way better than store bought  plus  we save $$$ hundreds a year on those little bottles and bags.  We also give away tons of herbs, some whole plants to friends and neighbors  for free.   Here's this week's picture  bon appetit  on chicken,  turkey,  soups, stews, casseroles and more.  :D

20220706_195525.jpeg

• Upvote 1

And before any of you wise guys ask NO we did NOT have any money crops.   :lol:

• Haha 1