THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

3 hours ago, nickers said:

Right up my ally... I love artichokes and olives...

My wife liked that it was so fresh and with 5 tomatoes.   I'm really big on black olives and artichokes I buy them by the 12 can boxes from Amazon pantry delivered to our door. 

I also get 12 can cases of spinach, French style green beans and others.  No lugging all that home   -but-  keep an eye on costs, some locals have nice sales.....on ever rising food costs.

It's not hard to eat well  and really enjoy it so  bon appetit  !

Definition of bon Appétit.   good appetite : enjoy your meal.

38 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

My wife liked that it was so fresh and with 5 tomatoes.   I'm really big on black olives and artichokes I buy them by the 12 can boxes from Amazon pantry delivered to our door. 

I also get 12 can cases of spinach, French style green beans and others.  No lugging all that home   -but-  keep an eye on costs, some locals have nice sales.....on ever rising food costs.

It's not hard to eat well  and really enjoy it so  bon appetit  !

Definition of bon Appétit.   good appetite : enjoy your meal.

Or in Italian.. We say Boun Appetito!

• Thanks 1

Want something really good for your next GAMEDAY or get-together ?  Here's a sweet and sour spin on an old favorite SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS,  oh yeah ! And you better make extras.

And you can prepare them the day before,  just check  ✔  out the tips below.

SERVES  32      COOK TIME  35  MINUTES

If the gang is used to you serving plain cocktail meatballs on game day, you better make extra this time, 'cause they're likely to eat a bunch more of these Sweet and Sour Meatballs...even before the game officially begins!

✔    What You'll Need

• 2 pounds ground beef
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (12-ounce) jar cocktail sauce
  • 3/4 cup grape jelly
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

✔    What to Do

1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, water, bread crumbs, salt, onion powder, and pepper; mix well. Form into 1-inch meatballs and set aside.

2. In a soup pot, mix together cocktail sauce, jelly, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat, then add meatballs. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.

✔    More cooking tips.

• This recipe is best prepared the day before serving. Cover and refrigerate overnight then skim the fat off the top and heat to serve.

• Meatballs every which way -- check out our meatball collection!

Sweet-and-Sour-Meatballs_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1763960.jpg

Want something deliciously different how about some TEX-MEX ZITI  great mix between Italian and Mexican will be a GAMEDAY  or any get-together or family meal.  

And check  ✔  out the kitchen notes below for some good ideas. 

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&downloadWhenThumbnailFails=true&pid=2

SERVES 6    COOK TIME 35  MINUTES   

If your family can't decide between Italian or Mexican food, then we've got the perfect solution, Tex Mex Ziti! This beefy and cheesy casserole combines the best of two cultures in just one dish. Not only will your whole GAMEDAY SPORTS gang   -or-  just your family will be pleased, but you will be too, 'cause this recipe is weeknight-easy!

What You'll Need

• 1 (12-ounce) package ziti
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 2 cups spaghetti sauce
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain, rinse, and drain again; set aside in a large bowl.

3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown beef and onion 5 minutes; drain off excess liquid. Add to drained pasta along with spaghetti sauce, salsa, ricotta cheese, and 1 cup cheese; stir until well combined. Spoon into prepared baking dish.

4. Bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Return to oven and bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.

✔    Notes

• For additional ethnic flavor, we suggest that you might want to add a drained can of green chilies, jalapeño peppers, or black olives when you combine all of the ingredients.
  • Freezer-friendly recipe: Follow all steps above expect for baking. After ziti is assembled, cover with a few layers of foil and place in freezer. Thaw by placing in fridge 24 hours in advance. Once thawed, bake at regular time and temerpature. Click here for more tips on freezing our recipes!
  • If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out Easy Pasta Bake Recipes: 24 Ultimate Pasta Casseroles.

• Check out more of our favorite Tex-Mex recipes with dishes like our Taco Ring and Tex Mex Dip.

Tex-Mex-Ziti_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1088422.jpg

We've had dishes like the above ^^^^ TEX-MEX ZITI but not exactly this recipe but it was really good !  And so easy .

A easy to make Maque Choux for when you want that New Orleans vibe.

2 cans tomatoes and okra

2 can tomatoes, okra, and corn.

! large smoked sausage.  Whatever kind you like 

1/2 onion.

Chop onion, thin slice the sausage and put in pot with a little oil...brown out for a few minutes. Season with several dashed of hot sauce.  My fav is Crystal.  A few grinds of black pepper.

Add cans of tomatoes and okra.  Let simmer for 1 hour or more to meld flavors.

The key to hot sauce is to improve flavor, not make things hot. Any idiot can make things hot.  The key to being a good chef is to make things better.  As a Cajun dish it is going to have some heat, but if you make something and more than 1-2 out of 10 people(adults) think it is too spicy, you failed. People can always kick up the heat to their taste. You can't take it out.

I like Crystal hot sauce. It's what you find in most of the N.O restaurants.  It is fairly mild in the way of heat but big on pepper flavor.  Try some.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2022 at 6:37 AM, ballpeen said:

A easy to make Maque Choux for when you want that New Orleans vibe.

2 cans tomatoes and okra

2 can tomatoes, okra, and corn.

! large smoked sausage.  Whatever kind you like 

1/2 onion.

Chop onion, thin slice the sausage and put in pot with a little oil...brown out for a few minutes. Season with several dashed of hot sauce.  My fav is Crystal.  A few grinds of black pepper.

Add cans of tomatoes and okra.  Let simmer for 1 hour or more to meld flavors.

The key to hot sauce is to improve flavor, not make things hot. Any idiot can make things hot.  The key to being a good chef is to make things better.  As a Cajun dish it is going to have some heat, but if you make something and more than 1-2 out of 10 people(adults) think it is too spicy, you failed. People can always kick up the heat to their taste. You can't take it out.

I like Crystal hot sauce. It's what you find in most of the N.O restaurants.  It is fairly mild in the way of heat but big on pepper flavor.  Try some.

Leave out the Okra.. I'm in.. YUCK!

besides the price whats the difference between american wagu and wagu from japan ? and would american wagu make a better chilli ? cause its damn cold out here with another round of snow on the way  we havnt had a good snow in portland in april since 1936

On 4/9/2022 at 7:14 PM, mjp28 said:

We've had dishes like the above ^^^^ TEX-MEX ZITI but not exactly this recipe but it was really good !  And so easy .

Finally got to try the Maverick Ribeye Sandwich (Longhorn Steakhous)... FABULOUS!! The french onion soup was awesome too...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Finally got to try the Maverick Ribeye Sandwich (Longhorn Steakhous)... FABULOUS!! The french onion soup was awesome too...

The Maverick is top shelf good.  I like the French onion  -but-  most of the time I  get the loaded potato soup delicious !  $5.79 and 380 calories  often I get the soup  &  half of the sandwich for lunch and have some the next day. Ummm-mmm  !

d-loaded-potato-soup-dpv-8-16-17.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

The Maverick is top shelf good.  I like the French onion  -but-  most of the time I  get the loaded potato soup delicious !  $5.79 and 380 calories  often I get the soup  &  half of the sandwich for lunch and have some the next day. Ummm-mmm  !

d-loaded-potato-soup-dpv-8-16-17.jpg

After the bread, Soup and half the sandwich.. I was beyond stuffed.. I have a great lunch ahead of me :)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday April 23.  Today's menu

Garden spinach and lettuce salad, either *buttermilk ranch  -or- Greek salad dressing.   Olives and artichokes  * i went with the buttermilk ranch. 

Then grilled salmon with asparagus,  oh yeah ! 

The perfect Saturday afternoon,  checking email,  watching  CLE at  NYY and salmon on the grill. 

Bon appetit  to you all.   :D

...... oh BTW the grilled salmon and everything else was excellent  today !   Ummm-ummm. 

Edited by mjp28

MY RECIPE FILE.    Subject: COUNTRY BUTTERMILK RANCH DRESSING

★  NOTE :   On the  bottom of the french dressing is the GREEK DRESSING RECIPE.  On the bottom of the Greek recipe there are more links. So if you want to sample some  Homemade salad dressings go ahead and try it, they're easy.

★  ALS0:  If you want to save a few bucks go to Amazon and search generic salad dressings .  They aren't bad and from $1.75 to $2.25 +/- a 16 ounce bottle, generic brand " Happy Belly " brand.

SO now you know......

~~~~~~  $  ~~~~~~

One of my favorites and not in a store bought bottle HOMEMADE  COUNTRY BUTTERMILK DRESSING.  Great for any kind of get-together or family dinner. 

♥︎ And salads can also go with almost anything at your next GAMEDAY grillin' party.  Steaks, chicken, burgers whatever with homemade or store bought dressings are fine.  How about the NFL Draft Days get-togethers ?  I'm planning on my weekend menus now.

And check  ✔ out the link for French Dressing below. 

MAKES  2 CUPS    CHILL TIME  2 HOURS 

If you're planning on serving up a fresh green salad, why not top it off with some fresh homemade salad dressing? Our Country Buttermilk Dressing is made with a variety of fresh herbs and delivers a rich and creamy taste that's much better than any store-bought bottled kind!

What You'll Need

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper

What to Do

1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, mix well.

2. Chill at least 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container.

✔    Notes

Like the idea of making your own salad dressing?  Here's a  ★ recipe for French Dressing that looks and sounds fancy, but is simple and delicious!  ♥︎

Country-Buttermilk-Dressing_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1298166.jpg

Edited by mjp28

Meatloaf for dinner, oh yes   -but-   how about leftover meatloaf  sandwiches on good Italian bread, cheese, mustard  -or- mushrooms and mayonnaise.....or whatever you like.  Yes even good for a GAMEDAY  meal or snack.   It's  now YOUR FAVORITE MEATLOAF and it would be good about now. Mmm-mmm. 

And check  ✔️  out the tips below  !  

SERVES  5    COOK TIME  1 HOUR 15 MINUTES 

Say hello to Your Family's Favorite Meatloaf recipe! Unlike other meatloaves that are sort of dry and tasteless, this one is super juicy and packed with flavor inside and out. And the combo of the bacon and the glaze makes this truly irresistible.

What You'll Need

• 2 pounds ground chuck
  • 1/2 cups finely crushed butter-flavored crackers
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup ketchup, divided
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 slices bacon
  • 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar

What to Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl, combine beef, cracker crumbs, onion, 1/2 cup ketchup, the eggs, salt, and pepper; mix well. Form meat mixture into a loaf on baking sheet. Lay bacon over top of meatloaf.
  3. Bake 1 hour.
  4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mustard, brown sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup ketchup; mix well. Spread evenly over top of meatloaf. Return to oven and bake 15 more minutes, or until no longer pink in center.

✔️    Check This Out!

If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!

✔️    Up Next:

Your-Familys-Favorite-Meatloaf_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1824275.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What's a good and very simple side dish to whip up for your next GAMEDAY,  PICNIC or just family dinner ?  How about some COUNTRY COLESLAW  just 7 ingredients and 2 steps a classic old recipe.  Good with grilled anything or of course fish and anything else  you might like. 

And check ✔️ out the Notes below for more cabbage and coleslaw recipes.

SERVES  8    PREPARATION TIME 10 MINUTES   THEN CHILL.

Good old-fashioned coleslaw is great any time of the year and goes along with almost any dish. When we're craving a creamy, mayonnaise-based coleslaw we make our Country Coleslaw recipe. It's an easy coleslaw recipe that the whole gang'll love!

✔️    What You'll Need

• 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons sugar <-- *that secret ingredient for Country Coleslaw 
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 cups shredded cabbage (see Note ✔️)
  • 1 carrot, shredded
  • 1/2 cup chopped or thinly sliced green bell pepper

✔️    What to Do

1. In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Add cabbage, carrots, and green pepper; toss to coat well.

2. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

✔️     Notes

Country-Coleslaw_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1332596.jpg

8 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I prefer a vinegar slaw.  holds up better at a picnic.

That's where tweaking or changes of recipes can come in to play.  If you hit on the link at the bottom of the page you will see the 12 other coleslaw recipes including:

Vinegar-based slaws are lighter than their creamier cousins, and they always pack a tangy flavor punch. Vinegar coleslaw goes great on sandwiches, pulled pork, or any other meat, and they're a great option for those who don't prefer to eat mayo. Try one of these favorite simple faves today!

6 hours ago, ballpeen said:

I saw it....just making a comment.  I wasn't meaning to sound critical.

None taken at all this whole thread is about the exchange of ideas and recipes. 

I've always liked to cook since my days in the Scouts and beyond but especially when it comes to guys, football,  tailgating and more.  Many guys will try and cook something if you just show them how to do it.

SO bon appetit  and eat well !  I have one more recipe that i have and have got good early comments on......soon !

18 hours ago, mjp28 said:

None taken at all this whole thread is about the exchange of ideas and recipes. 

I've always liked to cook since my days in the Scouts and beyond but especially when it comes to guys, football,  tailgating and more.  Many guys will try and cook something if you just show them how to do it.

SO bon appetit  and eat well !  I have one more recipe that i have and have got good early comments on......soon !

I understand.  My mom got me in the kitchen at a young age.  It's been a passion or hobby of mine since a young age.  I have dedicated 2 weeks of vacation to go to a cooking school, 1 in NYC, 1 in Florence, Italy.

• Upvote 1

★ This is a simple recipe that I recently put out on my private friends and family email with some good replies.   After all who doesn't like baked beans, this one has a few special ingredients,  ummm-ummm  !   :D

~~~~~~~~~~   ❤️   ~~~~~~~~~

Another favorite GAMEDAY,  PICNIC  or family recipe but this one has a Southern  style  it's  SOUTHERN BAKED BEANS !  With just 7 ingredients and 3 steps easy.

And check  ✔️ out the Notes below for a soup version of this recipe. 

SERVES 6    COOK TIME 50 MINUTES 

Different regions of the country have their own way of making baked beans. This recipe for Southern Baked Beans is cooked up Southern-style, which means that it's flavored with classic ingredients that add just a bit of sweetness.

✔️    What You'll Need

• 1 (15-1/2-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (15-1/2-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (12-ounce) jar chili sauce  <--- special ingredient 
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar. <--- and of course 
  • 2 teaspoons ground mustard

✔️    What to Do.... pretty simple,  huh !

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into baking dish.

3. Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until beans are bubbly and sauce has thickened.

✔️    Notes.. I also have this recipe,  an old favorite baked beans and hot dogs.  Mmm.

Here's a way to turn our franks and beans into a tasty and hearty soup we call Beanie Weenie Soup ! 

Southern-Baked-Beans_ArticleImage-CategoryPage_ID-1296219.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

~~~~~~~~~~   🇺🇸  ~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Memorial Day 

~~~~~~~~~~  🇺🇸  ~~~~~~~~~~

And time  to remember everyone who has made it possible including our fathers Lou and Mike.

★  We are having barbecued chicken with homemade barbecue sauce and all the fixings. 

How about you  ?

5A444E5A-.gif

16 hours ago, mjp28 said:

~~~~~~~~~~   🇺🇸  ~~~~~~~~~~

Happy Memorial Day 

~~~~~~~~~~  🇺🇸  ~~~~~~~~~~

And time  to remember everyone who has made it possible including our fathers Lou and Mike.

★  We are having barbecued chicken with homemade barbecue sauce and all the fixings. 

How about you  ?

5A444E5A-.gif

With just the two of us, we skip the fixing at home deal and go out.

Yesterday we went to Pucketts and each had a half slab of Memphis dry rub ribs.  I had collards and baked beans, she had baked beans and tater salad as the sides.  We both like Memphis dry rubbed ribs.  Not as messy.    If you want some sauce, add a thin line on the edge.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

With just the two of us, we skip the fixing at home deal and go out.

Yesterday we went to Pucketts and each had a half slab of Memphis dry rub ribs.  I had collards and baked beans, she had baked beans and tater salad as the sides.  We both like Memphis dry rubbed ribs.  Not as messy.    If you want some sauce, add a thin line on the edge.

Down here there's always a roll of paper towels on the table and butcher paper underneath so you can eat sloppy ole BBQ ribs with lotsa sauce all over 'em.😊 And if you don't grab a little hand cleaner packet or 4 on your way out, then ya just didn't eat 'em right.🤣

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 3:41 PM, Korsou Dawg said:

@mjp28 could you post the recipe for the homemade barbecue sauce please?

OK this is my wife's mother's old HELEN'S HOMEMADE BARBECUE SAUCE  we've always liked it. Remember  its a good idea to double the quantities to make a little more. 

NOTE:  one typed page is just the ingredients page the second hand written page are my wife's instructions.  Oh and you get a bonus HELEN'S SPAGHETTI SAUCE.    :)

So here it is, and any questions or comments just let me know. 

Bon Appétit  !

IMG_8715002.jpg

20220531_212823.jpeg

• Like 1