From nobody to the top of the first round of the draft - Josh Allen

calfoxwc

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I like mine better, jb...

FIFY...

nah. wooden barns are dent-free. Now, aluminum siding barns, sure, they dent. But not wooden barns.

Maybe if you back your combine into it, you might leave a scratch....

Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns....

18 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Then he would hate all barns...

Not all barns... just military-grade barns in civilian hands.

5 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

nah. wooden barns are dent-free. Now, aluminum siding barns, sure, they dent. But not wooden barns.

Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

it would bounce back and give him a concussion and some banged up extremity. Then he would hate all barns, and

Aren't you the person who gets on his soapbox and whines about people sticking to talking about football, and to leave politics out of it?

But obviously your childish hatred of Rosen has nothing to do with politics, as can be seen above. 

superficial judgement, that is.

during boller's playing days, 2000-2002...they only went to a bowl one time, in 2002, the Insight Bowl.and the only way they got there, was Aaron Rodgers took over.Boller was replaced due to losing games later in the season. Rodgers replaced Boller, and the rest is history. Rodgers nearly got them winning his first start, then they went on to beat SoCal, their toughest opponent, and he led them to a huge high scoring victory over Virginia Tech.

The ratbirds drafted the loser qb of the season, and Green Bay later drafted Rodgers, the winner of a few games and

big winner of their only bowl game.

Allen, however, led HIS team to the bowl games, and wowed people in the second half of the senior bowl, the combine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Insight_Bowl

330px-AaronRodgers.jpg

Aaron Rodgers, seen here wearing a Green Bay Packers jersey, was California's quarterback during the game.

furthermore...Boller was nervous, had a lack of courage in the pocket in the pros, probably did in college, too.

You don't get nervous in the pocket when you love the game. Allen is the opposite. He loves the game, is cool in the pocket, despite not having a great team around him. He raised the level of play for Wyoming, to two bowl games. Truth is, Elway had cool outstanding leadership at qb, so does Allen.

Boller - nope. would get very nervous in the pocket. I'd called that not loving the challenge, not loving the game.

You won't find this said about boller:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/josh-allen?id=2560029

Strengths

Prototype frame for pocket passer. Sturdy base allows him to shake off sacks and extend plays. Rare arm strength and overall arm talent. Has variety of release points if needed. Can uncork suddenly when it breaks open. Able to thread the needle with a rocket launcher. Makes throws that no other quarterback in college can make. Excellent thrower of deep outs. Able to outpace safeties to deep sideline throws. Aggressive pump-fakes open double moves. Turns into competent traffic director when scrambling. Can roll right and fling it down the field with impressive velocity and placement. Asked to read the entire field. No throw is too challenging. Has arm strength and mobility to create explosive plays when play goes off-schedule. Ability to challenge safeties over the top could help running games. Attacks intermediate windows with pretty good precision when allowed to sit down in the pocket. Has experience under center and operating in play-action passing attack. Willing to pull it and move the chains with his legs. Has experience in poor weather.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8286f0f3/article/how-to-draft-a-qb-part-4-the-kyle-boller-experience

Within a couple of years, we learned that Boller's inaccuracy was not solely a result of the poor receivers at Cal, but also Kyle's occasional nervousness in the pocket, which forced his fundamentals to falter at critical times, and has left him a sub-60 percent completion guy thus far in his career.

So it didn't work out for Boller, or for me.

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

furthermore...Boller was nervous, had a lack of courage in the pocket in the pros, probably did in college, too.

You don't get nervous in the pocket when you love the game. Allen is the opposite. He loves the game, is cool in the pocket, despite not having a great team around him. He raised the level of play for Wyoming, to two bowl games. Truth is, Elway had cool outstanding leadership at qb, so does Allen.

Boller - nope. would get very nervous in the pocket. I'd called that not loving the challenge, not loving the game.

You won't find this said about boller:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/josh-allen?id=2560029

Strengths

Prototype frame for pocket passer. Sturdy base allows him to shake off sacks and extend plays. Rare arm strength and overall arm talent. Has variety of release points if needed. Can uncork suddenly when it breaks open. Able to thread the needle with a rocket launcher. Makes throws that no other quarterback in college can make. Excellent thrower of deep outs. Able to outpace safeties to deep sideline throws. Aggressive pump-fakes open double moves. Turns into competent traffic director when scrambling. Can roll right and fling it down the field with impressive velocity and placement. Asked to read the entire field. No throw is too challenging. Has arm strength and mobility to create explosive plays when play goes off-schedule. Ability to challenge safeties over the top could help running games. Attacks intermediate windows with pretty good precision when allowed to sit down in the pocket. Has experience under center and operating in play-action passing attack. Willing to pull it and move the chains with his legs. Has experience in poor weather.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8286f0f3/article/how-to-draft-a-qb-part-4-the-kyle-boller-experience

Within a couple of years, we learned that Boller's inaccuracy was not solely a result of the poor receivers at Cal, but also Kyle's occasional nervousness in the pocket, which forced his fundamentals to falter at critical times, and has left him a sub-60 percent completion guy thus far in his career.

So it didn't work out for Boller, or for me.

Cal,

I copied this from the 1st link you posted above. I believe you forgot to include this part....

NFL COMPARISON

Jake Locker

BOTTOM LINE

Likely be the biggest boom-or-bust quarterback prospect in the draft. Allen's size and arm talent are prototypical for early first-round picks, but it's rare to find a quarterback with such a low college completion rate become a successful pro. Allen's receivers struggled to separate, but there were plenty of times where his lack of anticipation and post-snap plan did him in. Allen can make some truly special throws, but his ability to improve the mental part of his game will determine whether he's a good NFL starter or just another big, strong-armed guy.

Sorry, but I'm not buying into Allen. The kid scares me.

Mike

54 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Cal,

I copied this from the 1st link you posted above. I believe you forgot to include this part....

NFL COMPARISON

Jake Locker

BOTTOM LINE

Likely be the biggest boom-or-bust quarterback prospect in the draft. Allen's size and arm talent are prototypical for early first-round picks, but it's rare to find a quarterback with such a low college completion rate become a successful pro. Allen's receivers struggled to separate, but there were plenty of times where his lack of anticipation and post-snap plan did him in. Allen can make some truly special throws, but his ability to improve the mental part of his game will determine whether he's a good NFL starter or just another big, strong-armed guy.

Sorry, but I'm not buying into Allen. The kid scares me.

Mike

Well said Mike.  With the pick of the litter, the OLD Browns FO would be talking themselves into somebody. The NEW and MORE EXPERIENCED FO will take the blessing put on their doorstep. Difference?  Experience leads to know-how and confidence in the decision (based on what's behind it). If we weren't talking 1st overall pick after the bionic arm failures (of Weeden, Kizer, and DA) here, I might be a little more open to the idea of Allen. 

Another thing working against warming up to Allen is what he did or didn't do on each of the earlier levels. His high school career generated little to zero interest from major DI programs.  That didn't have Football Messiah for Cleveland written all over it.  Then, he went to Wyoming and threw 15 INTs in 2016 (against 2nd tier defenses) and continued his accuracy issues in 2017.  What changed since then?  At the SR Bowl - he had a forgettable 1st half before he got hot in the 2nd half (still inconsistent right?). Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors.  Now, the same guy that couldn't impress the masses in high school or college is suddenly #1 overall material because of what he can do against no pass rushers, DBs or NFL Defensive Coordinators?

I don't dislike the kid - I just think he'd be thrown into some very unrealistic expectations especially if it's at a place with the unreasonable circumstances of 1-31 football.  We've already had 1 McCoy playing in front of 65,000 Hatfields under such circumstances.  Right now, everyone is saying we have Ty Taylor so we don't have to hurry any QB in. Yes and no.  When we drafted Couch - who here wanted a 1st overall talent to take 1-2 years to beat him out?  When Seattle drafted a QB talented enough for round 1 while the rest of the league lap danced him to them in round 3, 26 million $ said Matt Flynn would start while any rookie QB would sit. Seattle didn't just draft ANY rookie.  They drafted Russell Wilson.  We have an ideal chance to draft something very similar here.  If we want to change our FATE we might want to stop kicking off our door step what FATE continues to put on it in lieu of over-thinking.  That's why Dorsey is here, which has many of us feeling a lot more confident.    

"Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors."

Let's qualify that a bit. He threw some inaccurate 80 yard floating blimps that my grandmother could have picked off using a walker. They were high arcing punts, not passes and that alone should have soured real scouts. Not impressive at all in a windless environment. Truly disastrous.

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

"Since then, he stopped playing against defenses and threw some 80 yard passes indoors."

Let's qualify that a bit. He threw some inaccurate 80 yard floating blimps that my grandmother could have picked off using a walker. They were high arcing punts, not passes and that alone should have soured real scouts. Not impressive at all in a windless environment. Truly disastrous.

Yeah Aggies, he throws those North Korean missiles like these 70s lyrics suggest "what goes up must come down."  He mixed in a couple lasers that hit guys in stride at the Combine.  But the NFL, and Cleveland in particular, doesn't always allow QBs the 5-7 step drop comforts of stepping into the throw toward one of the deep thirds.  When the NFL caught on to DA's bazooka, they challenged his short game and the Cinderella story had an early midnight.  We've had the QBs that can throw a football over Lake Erie into Canada; and none of them could throw a football into Lake Erie from the wet rocks touching it.

One of RG3andout's best assets was his deep ball accuracy.  BUT, we had 3 different veteran QBs who couldn't finish starts (McCown, Whitehurst and RG3) as well as Kessler not finishing a couple of his starts reminding us we needed shorter routes with quicker throws. 

This year, we're trying to replace a HOF caliber LT with the leading candidate being our RT that has only started 1 year. This means it's probable that we have a new starter at BOTH Tackle positions. We'll see how soon we're ready to get QBs comfortable with the 5-7 step drop/timing patterns to a deep 3rd. Whoever we draft, will have to be more accurate than Taylor to beat him out.  Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold seem like better horses to bet on here.

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Aren't you the person who gets on his soapbox and whines about people sticking to talking about football, and to leave politics out of it?

But obviously your childish hatred of Rosen has nothing to do with politics, as can be seen above. 

do-as-i-say.png

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

For a huge arm qb,  his deep throws aren't very good.  I have no idea what the fuss is about. 

The fact that anyone is pumping him as a #1 pick is ludicrous.  Could he develop and become good? Maybe so,  but #1 picks should be as close to a lock as possible.  No projects at #1. 

I was simply responding to Tour's previous joke about military grade barns, asswhole.

Here is what I said:

"Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns...."

I didn't bring politics into it, Tour did in a slight bit if humor, I responded in kind.

Yes, jblew, you screwed yourself up again.

do-as-i-say.png

7 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Cal,

lmao... at least the edit is an indication that he actually read what he linked.

That's progress... of sorts...

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

I was simply responding to Tour's previous joke about military grade barns, asswhole.

Here is what I said:

"Now, if you had rosen, he's be afraid of the barn and any critters in it. And if he did hit the barn with a football,

whine and bitch about wanting Congress to ban barns...."

I didn't bring politics into it, Tour did in a slight bit if humor, I responded in kind.

Yes, jblew, you screwed yourself up again.

Amazing... barely 24 hours have passed and reality has already escaped cal's grasp.

Try again "asswhole"... here are the posts from the preceding page in the order in which they were posted as evidenced by the timestamps...

On 3/30/2018 at 11:56 AM, Tour2ma said:

I like mine better, jb...

On 3/30/2018 at 8:32 AM, calfoxwc said:

I"m sure they had dent-free barns.

FIFY...

On 3/30/2018 at 12:03 PM, calfoxwc said:

On 3/30/2018 at 12:23 PM, Tour2ma said:

Not all barns... just military-grade barns in civilian hands.

cal... time to demonstrate your claimed "grace" by apologizing to jblum...

eh? jblew never deserves an apology,he's always been an asswhole.... but that was my mistake. I"m busy.

and I never promised you Allen haters a rose garden.:rolleyes:

I did not realize that in their March 1st, Top 100 Prospects PFF had given Allen a 2nd Round grade (#34 ranked player) and had 5 other QBs in Round 1 including:

1. Mayfield at #1
  2. Darnold at #2
  3. Rosen at #6
  4. Rudolph at #15... way to go, Gip!
  5. Jackson at #23..

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pff-draft-board-top-100-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Amazing... barely 24 hours have passed and reality has already escaped cal's grasp.

Try again "asswhole"... here are the posts from the preceding page in the order in which they were posted as evidenced by the timestamps...

cal... time to demonstrate your claimed "grace" by apologizing to jblum...

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

eh? jblew never deserves an apology,he's always been an asswhole.... but that was my mistake. I"m busy.

and I never promised you Allen haters a rose garden.:rolleyes:

Archived