THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

I wish these JFF only piss ants would go to a JFF forum.

Mods could create a JM section of this forum. It might end up only marginally more confrontational than the Politics section. ;)

Actual I think things have simmered down considerably since the WW time-out. The remaining JM fans either were not as obnoxious to begin with or have backed off a notch or two.

It's not premature to say that Manziel has overtaken Thomas and Haden as the face of the franchise because it has happened.

How many times have they been mentioned since the draft? How many times has Manziel been mentioned this week?

Like it or not, but the media chooses the face of the franchise. Not the fans. Not the players. Not the coaches.

Disagree... actually by definition it's the publicity department (or Public Relations). Celebrity does not equal face of the franchise.

You know when i first saw Johnny Manziel play who he reminded me of? Tony Romo.

Now there's a comforting thought... :rolleyes:

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna be a helluva ride if Johnny Cleveland can duplicate his heroics at the pro level. He is hit-or-miss in my mind but I do like his "kiss my ass" attitude that if harnessed could help his cause in becoming the Browns new? quarterback leader. Many thought Johnny would implode during his last year at A&M and to his credit he kept it together.

BTW, looks like cyberworld has embraced JM. google 'johnny" search defaults? with him number 3 behind depp, and cash. he ranks ahead of johnny carson. (for you young guys, carson was the greatest ever late night tv host who retired in 1992 after 30 years on the 'tonight show")

Face it Mik....We are Johnny Football.

Embrace it.

ugh.

maybe with a half a pitcher of red shit i might embrace it.

hell i might embrace anything at that point, if you know what i mean. ;)

embracing it means embracing the JF 'army'. that's got nothing to do with the kid. in my mind that's a whole other entity. i hope manziel's a superstar and leads the browns to multiple championships.

it's all the knob slobbering that some people bring with their love for the guy that bugs me.

BTW, looks like cyberworld has embraced JM. google 'johnny" search defaults? with him number 3 behind depp, and cash. he ranks ahead of johnny carson. for you young guys, carson was the greatest ever late night tv host who retired in 1992 after 30 years on the 'tonight show"

LOL... in other words most of Carson's fans don't google...

How does Johnny respond? Got to look at his history.

1. "You can play safety for me son but not QB"-now fired coach Mack Brown UT Austin

2. He can't beat out experienced soph Showers - Showers transferred out after JM's Heisman season

3. Heisman winners always have a bad bowl game (Well ask the Stoops brothers how that turned out for 'em at OU)

4. The Soph season is never as good as the Heisman season. It's a jinx (became a much better pocket passer first, runner second)

5. He'll drop to the 2nd or 3rd round -too small (best pro day of all those out there-first rounder)

6. He can never be an NFL QB-his game does not translate - OK care to go with or against his history of responding to "Can't"?

We know Browns fans-burn me once, burn me 20 times, but not 21. It's hard to hope against those odds.

compelling. a chip on your shoulder can carry you a long way.

Started out thinking the JFF fervor would be a distraction for the team. but, who cares if you are distracted from a world of suckage....it can only bet better for the Browns. JM has a legitimate chance to be that guy who returned the Browns to the top of the AFC North Division. there, I fuckin said it

How does Johnny respond? Got to look at his history. the Stoops brothers how that turned out for 'em at OU)

6. He can never be an NFL QB-his game does not translate - OK care to go with or against his history of responding to "Can't"?

We know Browns fans-burn me once, burn me 20 times, but not 21. It's hard to hope against those odds.

How did you forget... "sit a year and learn behind our future #8 overall" - now fired A&M HC Mike Sherman?

I think you are hard-pressed to find a significant number of "JM can't" Browns fans here.

Whereas there are an ample amount of "can't miss" JM fans.

Odds are that the truth will lie somewhere between those two extremes.

As for past QB woes impacting the outlook of some... sure there are a couple who have said as much. But what is even more fascinating is the need that even the most reasonable of JM fans (which I consider you to be) to continuously rationalize anything short of embracing JM as the second coming.

But what is even more fascinating is the need that even the most reasonable of JM fans (which I consider you to be) to continuously rationalize anything short of embracing JM as the second coming.

gotta copy and paste this into every round of discourse i have with a couple of out-of-hand JF fans here.

this is what i've been trying to say but couldn't put it into words.

when i use it they will say i'm 'crying' or 'whining'. lol.

Mods could create a JM section of this forum. It might end up only marginally more confrontational than the Politics section. ;)

Actual I think things have simmered down considerably since the WW time-out. The remaining JM fans either were not as obnoxious to begin with or have backed off a notch or two.

Disagree... actually by definition it's the publicity department (or Public Relations). Celebrity does not equal face of the franchise.

Now there's a comforting thought... :rolleyes:

It would be the marketing department, not really public relations. PR is just a branch under marketing.

I'm a public relations executive for a digital marketing firm and I can tell you firsthand that the public relations department has exactly zero control.

Our job is all about spin and numbers.

We can decide who we want to push to be the face, sure. But that doesn't make him the face.

We could push Justin Gilbert all year, plaster his face all over ever bit of marketing materials we have, plug him in at every event and mention him in passing in every press release and pitch. But if the fans don't embrace it and the media doesn't cover him, it's all for naught.

It's brand recognition. You ask 1,000 people, in a fair distribution all over the country, the first person they think of when they hear "Cleveland Browns".

It won't be unanimous by any means, but I'm willing to bet that there will be a higher percentage (especially in the male 18-24, 25-31 and female 18-24 demographics) of people that say Manziel.

We can't control who ESPN chooses to cover, we can only push the ones we want to be covered. At the end of the day, they're about ratings and more people care about the Heisman trophy winning QB party boy who slid to #22 than they do some random CB.

Except that neither of them play for the team, so your statement is invalid.

Copying and pasting certain bits to fit your argument doesn't make your stance valid.

Where is the rule that says that the face of the team has to play for the team? Paul Brown is dead, Jim Brown is like 72 years old.

The team bears their name.

The name of this forum is "The Browns Board", not the Manziel Board, the Hoyer Board, the Thomas Board the Haden Board.

They are the face of the team. Deal with it.

Where is the rule that says that the face of the team has to play for the team? Paul Brown is dead, Jim Brown is like 72 years old.

The name of this forum is "The Browns Board", not the Manziel Board, the Hoyer Board, the Thomas Board the Haden Board.

Sorry Gipper...Johnny Football is the face of the team. I don't think we as fans of the team determine who the face is....I believe it is the fans of other teams and the national media.

Like it or not, we are Johnny Football. Embrace it.

Sorry Gipper...Johnny Football is the face of the team. I don't think we as fans of the team determine who the face is....I believe it is the fans of other teams and the national media.

Like it or not, we are Johnny Football. Embrace it.

Not only the face, but THE team. Should rename it Johnny Cleveland Browns.

No need to bookmark, I don't think any of us will forget the 143rd Texas A&M fan to join the site and tell us how great our quarterback is going to be.

Well we need to come over and tell you. You have no idea what its like having a good football player for once. Your clueless to good football period. In fact im not sure you know the game of football. So glad to come over and help out.

And yet, the team is named after neither of them.

Sheldon Brown also played for the Browns, I guess he's the face of the franchise. Morocco Brown is the VP of Player Personnel, I guess he's the face of the franchise too. There's a cartoon character named Cleveland Brown. I guess he's the face of the franchise too, since the team bears their names.

It's funny that the "faces of the franchise" have nothing to do with the franchise whatsoever anymore.

Jim Brown and Paul Brown are the faces of the franchise to fogeys who remember watching them, that's it.

No need to bookmark, I don't think any of us will forget the 143rd Texas A&M fan to join the site and tell us how great our quarterback is going to be.

Well we need to come over and tell you. You have no idea what its like having a good football player for once. Your clueless to good football period. In fact im not sure you know the game of football. So glad to come over and help out.

Really? You talking to me, Bitch?

I've seen more good football and great football players than about everybody on here other than 5 or 10 elders who have seen it all.

I KNOW I've seen more good football than some faggy Texas fanboy who follows one player around. THAT guy doesn't know football.

Johnny Manziel is a nice football player that will fit in nicely with this TEAM that Ray Farmer and Mike Pettine are building.

Why don't you Texas fags root for the Cowboys or Texans and let go of your man crush. He's a Cleveland Brown now.

Zombo

Jim Brown and Paul Brown are the faces of the franchise to fogeys who remember watching them, that's it.

OK.....you don't have to get personal....I watched and saw them both, but I agree, that has nothing to do with today. Our last championship was 50 fucking years ago. You have to be a old man like me to have any real recall of the event. Fuck Paul Brown and Jim Brown.

Let's GO Johnny Football. Fuck the last 50 years of Browns Football.

I really like the idea of having a dedicated area for Johnny Manziel. Those that don’t have the same convictions dont have to post or visit it. Sucks because this is a Manziel thread and it gets shit on by the haters and insecure posters.

why don't you have that nice dedicated area somewhere else besides on the browns board because it's obvious you don't want to talk about the browns?

and being as it is the browns board browns fans can go where they please without some queef telling them otherwise.

don't want to interrupt you from talking about how johnny is losing his hair or looks like a jewish elf.

you wouldn't last the day if i had a flush button to push.

OK.....you don't have to get personal....I watched and saw them both, but I agree, that has nothing to do with today. Our last championship was 50 fucking years ago. You have to be a old man like me to have any real recall of the event. Fuck Paul Brown and Jim Brown.

Let's GO Johnny Football. Fuck the last 50 years of Browns Football.

A refreshing voice, Peen. It seems there's a dichotomy growing on this board: those that remember the good ol' days and those that don't care.

Otto Graham was great, so was Jim Brown, but they also played in an age where throwing the ball 25 times per game was "airing it out". 98% of the posters on this board weren't alive when Graham threw his last pass.

The game has changed, the league has changed, the world has changed. Graham averaged 20 attempts per game. Manziel is averaging 34. The average salary for QBs then was in the low thousands. Now it's six figures.

It's time to let them go already.

Riiiigggghhhhtttt. A dead guy and a 75 year old geezer are the face of the team and that symbolizes everything wrong with the Cleveland Browns

Why do you have to shit on everyone? We get it, your life sucks. Miserable people make others miserable. People are actually exiting about a player and you fucking hate that. My god, i have to stop posting here, i am not going to like the Browns being around these whiny crabby bitches. I like the Browns, i am learning about the team. I want to know about the team. I am reading and watching every video i can. I watch everything related to the Browns. I watched the Browns entire 2013 season in a few days. So again, go fuck yourself.

Dude mik is mostly alright but for some reason he's got a serious bug up his ass on this one. I think he wanted tranny bulgehider.

Does anyone else hate that the bungles came up with AJ McCarron? I have a feeling a couple of sec guys will soon be duking it out in the AFC north

I LOVE that they drafted him ... Because that means Dalton is safe ... Which puts Joe Haden on the fast track for the Hall of Fame.

McCarron is backup fodder.

Z

Archived