THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

Its too bad you guys dont talk football as much as you talk about how much better you are than Manziel fans.

If you want to talk football, we can talk football. It's a two way street. Sure, some A&M fans follow the NFL too- but I doubt they've followed the Browns as extensively as most of us here have. Let's just say the average Browns fan is as knowledgeable- perhaps moreso, about the Browns as A&M fans are about Manziel, OK? Better is a bad choice of words.

What irks us (and it's the reason WW got a timeout) is the extreme JF fans who can't stand any legitimate criticism or questioning of his talents, how they translate to the NFL, and go blasting other posters on top of it. If fired upon, some of us will return fire.

The point has already been made if Manziel had no flaws in his game, he would have been the consensus #1 overall pick, and certainly wouldn't have fallen out of the top 3.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our job is all about spin and numbers. We can decide who we want to push to be the face, sure. But that doesn't make him the face.

Agree... my original and only point was that it is premature. To push Manziel at this point when he is not even assured of being a starter, let alone a bona fide NFL "star", is ludicrous.

Well we need to come over and tell you. You have no idea what its like having a good football player for once. Your clueless to good football period. In fact im not sure you know the game of football. So glad to come over and help out.

Thank you, Capt. Humble...

And yet, the team is named after neither of them.

Knew that was coming...

FYI to our newbies... "Browns" is short for "Brown Bombers" which was the nickname of boxing great, Joe Lewis.

Sucks because this is a Manziel thread and it gets shit on by the haters and insecure posters.

lol... have you read any other thread? It's not like folks automatically fall in line on any other topic.

Other than injury, the biggest concern I have with Manziel is him trying to do too much and/or getting too greedy. He has the skillset, I think he has the football intelligence....and most of last year showed patience. Too much patience at times IMO. Like he was determined to be a pocket passer. (Which I think he WAS trying to improve on, but at times last season he turned down an easy 10 yard run and slide or jump out of bounds for a chance at a big pass play. )

And, I suspect part of the time, it was "dammit, I'm going to throw it to X, no matter what". Not that he can't or won't do progressions, but I feel like there were a few times he didn't (not many). I don't know if it was ego "I'm going to burn this DB", perceived matchups, or just "I'm gonna get Mike the ball" (first part of the Duke game, for example - since I believe they both knew it was probably their last game together).

I have no doubt he'll be able to run, I hope he learns the QB slide or to Franco Harris it out of bounds for his durability sake. If he doesn't lock onto a certain receiver, for whatever reason, and goes for more singles than home runs, his passing should be fine.

Good post... objective and analytical... combination of highest hopes and greatest fears. I could have written most of it. Seriously it's about as close as you being the half-full glass and me the half-empty.

Were I to summarize your post from my perspective, I'd simply write (as I have in past posts) that in the short-term...

JM's combination of fierce competitiveness and inexperience will lead to moments of exultation followed by bad decisions (many of which you have detailed) that will hurt the team, if not himself.

I other words... he's a rookie QB.

If you want to talk football, we can talk football. It's a two way street. Sure, some A&M fans follow the NFL too- but I doubt they've followed the Browns as extensively as most of us here have. Let's just say the average Browns fan is as knowledgeable- perhaps moreso, about the Browns as A&M fans are about Manziel, OK? Better is a bad choice of words.

What irks us (and it's the reason WW got a timeout) is the extreme JF fans who can't stand any legitimate criticism or questioning of his talents, how they translate to the NFL, and go blasting other posters on top of it. If fired upon, some of us will return fire.

The point has already been made if Manziel had no flaws in his game, he would have been the consensus #1 overall pick, and certainly wouldn't have fallen out of the top 3.

I'm waiting for the guys that keep beating their chests about how this is a Browns board and how they talk football here....to start.

Really havent seen much Manziel talk from Manziel lovers except in this thread.

Of course, if you try to discuss Manziel's football pros/cons, you get told this is a Browns board ad we talk football here.

So, wake me up when that starts. K?

LOL

Agree... my original and only point was that it is premature. To push Manziel at this point when he is not even assured of being a starter, let alone a bona fide NFL "star", is ludicrous.

Thank you, Capt. Humble...

Knew that was coming...

FYI to our newbies... "Browns" is short for "Brown Bombers" which was the nickname of boxing great, Joe Lewis.

lol... have you read any other thread? It's not like folks automatically fall in line on any other topic.

Dear god, my dad lied to me then, i was told at a young age while living in Massillon that it was after Paul Brown, But Paul did like them being named after him.

Dear god, my dad lied to me then, i was told at a young age while living in Massillon that it was after Paul Brown, But Paul did like them being named after him.

lol... no doubt, Paul liked it.

My account of the origin is from a source I read years ago, and found to be believable. But accounts do vary...

Here's the one at the HOF:

"CLEVELAND BROWNS - The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name."

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/nicknames.aspx

So there's an authoritative source in your Dad's corner...

I'm waiting for the guys that keep beating their chests about how this is a Browns board and how they talk football here....to start.

Of course, if you try to discuss Manziel's football pros/cons, you get told this is a Browns board ad we talk football here.

LOL

see this is how it works on a forum.....

you see a thread about something that you are interested in and you look at it and if you want to say something, make a post.

do you know there are other threads on this forum besides the manziel thread?

i mean there are discussions going on right now about josh gordon

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29453

about jimmy graham

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29452

talk about our defensive backfield

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29456

if you want football action talk that doesn't happen until there's actual football being played. this is the down time of year. it was pretty exciting pre-draft. should've been here for that. there was plenty of JF chatter then as well. when training camp starts and we start hearing what's going on, i'm sure there will be real football talk. right now it's talk about JF (cuz no one can ever stop talking about him) and what you are cooking on your grill.

if you want to go back and rehash some A&M games and bring it into the discussion, feel free.

see this is how it works on a forum.....

you see a thread about something that you are interested in and you look at it and if you want to say something, make a post.

do you know there are other threads on this forum besides the manziel thread?

i mean there are discussions going on right now about josh gordon

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29453

about jimmy graham

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29452

talk about our defensive backfield

http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29456

if you want football action talk that doesn't happen until there's actual football being played. this is the down time of year. it was pretty exciting pre-draft. should've been here for that. there was plenty of JF chatter then as well. when training camp starts and we start hearing what's going on, i'm sure there will be real football talk. right now it's talk about JF (cuz no one can ever stop talking about him) and what you are cooking on your grill.

if you want to go back and rehash some A&M games and bring it into the discussion, feel free.

Yeah I know.

I'm surprised there is as little JFF talk as there is on this board, TBH.

My account of the origin is from a source I read years ago, and found to be believable. But accounts do vary...

"CLEVELAND BROWNS - The Cleveland All-America Football Conference franchise conducted a fan contest in 1945 to name the team. The most popular submission was “Browns” in recognition of the team’s first coach and general manager Paul Brown, who was already a popular figure in Ohio sports. Brown at first vetoed the choice and the team selected from the contest entries the name “Panthers.” However, after an area businessman informed the team that he owned the rights to the name Cleveland Panthers, from an earlier failed football team, Brown rescinded his objection and agreed to the use of his name."

Thanks, to think all these years I didnt even look into it. Anyway, lets get this season going already!

Every message board is like a gradeschool playground. Avoid the bullies who think they rule the board and try to jump in every post to "mark" it with their scent. Usually some mocking comment or put down. Once you realize who they are, you just avoid them or ignore them.

LOL

All y'all just want to make this like Entertainment tonight and talk about a guys personality.

In my opinion, there is nothing to talk football about JFF until he starts playing football. NFL football. We can talk all we want about what he did in college...and I guess that is fine,....but meaningless. Right now he is just the dark side of Tim Tebow.

When he puts on Orange and Brown in August, then there will be something to see. And hopefully it will be good. Until then, to quote the Bard.

It is all Sound and Fury, signifying nothing.

Yea, except it was Paul Brown himself that came up with the Joe Louis story....probably so that he wouldn't seem so venal....even if he was.

Yea, the name of the team is The Browns because of Paul Brown. It is also because of Paul Brown that there is another version.

All y'all just want to make this like Entertainment tonight and talk about a guys personality.

In my opinion, there is nothing to talk football about JFF until he starts playing football. NFL football. We can talk all we want about what he did in college...and I guess that is fine,....but meaningless. Right now he is just the dark side of Tim Tebow.

When he puts on Orange and Brown in August, then there will be something to see. And hopefully it will be good. Until then, to quote the Bard.

It is all Sound and Fury, signifying nothing.

Firstly I haven't said one thing about his personality. Generally, it's the h8rs thatbring that up.

Secondly, its "yall".

Every message board is like a gradeschool playground. Avoid the bullies who think they rule the board and try to jump in every post to "mark" it with their scent. Usually some mocking comment or put down. Once you realize who they are, you just avoid them or ignore them.

Now this, I can agree with.

Firstly I haven't said one thing about his personality. Generally, it's the h8rs thatbring that up.

Secondly, its "yall".

I wasn't talking to just you. I was talking to everyone. The plural of y'all is All y'all. Every southron boy knows that. :o

Actualy, It IS "y'all"...

it's more a southern slang contraction for "you all".

I don't know what a "yall" is. I'm open to suggestions...

I'm not a southern boy.

I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

I'm not a southern boy.

I'm a Texas boy. Yall.

Got news for you....that makes you a Southerner. Tennessee played a big role in what is modern day Texas.....and it's Y'all( I've lived in Tennessee for almost 40 years now)

The movie was Heartbreak Ridge & the quote was from the black DI (Webster) trying to throw Gunny Highway under the bus. Webster offered that to Highway's Platoon. He got a pretty direct refusal.

One of my favorite movies.

Mike

Archived