THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

My cold weather memory was November 27th my birthday I forget what year Cleveland Browns vs Los Angeles with Pat Haden after Joe Namath had been benched. Starting for the Browns was dr. Dave Mays oh, doctor bomb. Browns lost 9 zip and it was colder than Hillary's heart.

Edit 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197711270cle.htm

WSS

OMG I was at that game, still have the ticket stubs somewhere in my collection I'll have to look for them.

I was a maintenance foreman and my superintendant often gave me FREE or COMPLIMENTARY tickets.

.......edit add, I found my LAR at CLE ticket stub from 1978 BROWNS won 30-19. Have not found the 1977 game but it might be in another box.

Did find the 1977 PIT at CLE stub among others......and lots of INDIANS ticket stubs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

My cold weather memory was November 27th my birthday I forget what year Cleveland Browns vs Los Angeles with Pat Haden after Joe Namath had been benched. Starting for the Browns was dr. Dave Mays oh, doctor bomb. Browns lost 9 zip and it was colder than Hillary's heart.

Edit 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197711270cle.htm

WSS

Edmund Hillary?

• Haha 1

A: The Browns rookie had a 6-7 record as a starter. The team was 7-7 in games where he played, which includes the win against the Jets, who led 14-0 when he replaced the injured Tyrod Taylor.

Q: OK, I’m waiting.

A: As a rookie, Mayfield threw 27 TD passes compared to 14 interceptions. He completed 64 percent of his passes. He had a 93.7 QB rating. He endured a firing of the head coach and offensive coordinator.

Q: So he had a better rookie season than Wentz or Goff.

A: Exactly. He had the second-best QB rating in the red zone (115.7), behind Brees (118.5) – 20 TD passes, zero interceptions.

Q: So this makes the Browns a Super Bowl contender?.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

So after the 2019 draft is this the next big offseason topic?

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

A: The Browns rookie had a 6-7 record as a starter. The team was 7-7 in games where he played, which includes the win against the Jets, who led 14-0 when he replaced the injured Tyrod Taylor.

Q: OK, I’m waiting.

A: As a rookie, Mayfield threw 27 TD passes compared to 14 interceptions. He completed 64 percent of his passes. He had a 93.7 QB rating. He endured a firing of the head coach and offensive coordinator.

Q: So he had a better rookie season than Wentz or Goff.

A: Exactly. He had the second-best QB rating in the red zone (115.7), behind Brees (118.5) – 20 TD passes, zero interceptions.

Q: So this makes the Browns a Super Bowl contender?.......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

So after the 2019 draft is this the next big offseason topic?

Super Bowl contender might be a stretch, but the 2019 Browns should be a serious contender for the playoffs. They could very well be in play for the AFC North title. 

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Super Bowl contender might be a stretch, but the 2019 Browns should be a serious contender for the playoffs. They could very well be in play for the AFC North title. 

With one more win we would have been already playing for the Divisional title in this season's last game, so yes, we should be contending for playoffs only looking at our division.

It is going to depend on how our AFC North rivals prepare for next year: Pittsburgh may implode, the Bengals look like they're rebuilding next year and the Ravens, who are the most well-rounded team on both sides in my opinion, have their coach on thin ice and a rookie QB who I don't trust one bit. Man, did he look bad in the Wildcard round...

Anyway, our division is a good one. I did the win/loss differential for each division and it is the following: 

AFC East: -8

AFC North: +2

AFC South: +6

AFC West: +4

NFC East: -1

NFC North: +2

NFC South: -2

NFC West: -2

Looking at that, we have the third most competitive division, so getting a playoff berth is not an easy cake by any means*. Man, I'm so looking forward to next season! :)

EDIT NOTE: Though we face the two worst divisions (AFC East and NFC West)

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I don't think John Harbaugh is on thin ice in Baltimore... didn't he just sign a four year extension? 

yes they did and as far as their qb after we made ajustmeants in the forth quarter the team that played the ravens in the playoffs we gave the blueprint to them and of course it worked their qb is a glorified rb and we will kick their fucking ass's both times next year infact you heard it here first we go 6-0 in are division next year 

GO BROWNS

On 1/27/2019 at 3:45 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I don't think John Harbaugh is on thin ice in Baltimore... didn't he just sign a four year extension? 

Well, I saw him desperately sticking to Jackson and I thought he was using him as a last resource. I didn't follow the news so you are probably right. Anyway, Marvin Lewis signed last year a 2 year contract extension and see how he's doing... 

9 hours ago, Nero said:

Well, I saw him desperately sticking to Jackson and I thought he was using him as a last resource. I didn't follow the news so you are probably right. Anyway, Marvin Lewis signed last year a 2 year contract extension and see how he's doing... 

I think he WAS on thin ice halfway through the season, but the end of the season turnaround bought him an extension. 

I have my doubts about Jackson and his "ceiling", though. 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

how much patience does Jimmy have with Dorsey's plan? (or vice versa?) more Pluto  https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/02/talkin-cleveland-browns-now-is-the-time-to-spend-wisely-terry-pluto.html      

As much as I'd love having CJ Mosley in our team, I don't see us making that move... Thoughts? 

3 hours ago, Nero said:

As much as I'd love having CJ Mosley in our team, I don't see us making that move... Thoughts? 

I agree with tia's post above^^ Now with Philly extending Nick Foles, am keeping a eye on what Philly does with DE-Brandon Graham or LB-Jordan Hicks. WR-Golden Tate or Jordan Matthews could hit Fa too or CB Ronald Darby..Remember Dorsey got Kendricks out of Philly, so he has done some background work with them..I still think a good option should fall to us at #17..I think the time to bundle some picks to move up is in 2nd round..moving up Rd.1 will cost a price & would rather see Dorsey keep as many throwing drafting tarts at the board.I do also believe, G.Williams got Ward drafted over Bradley Chubb. Steve Wilks will be in that Pilot seat this time & Dorsey will listen.The Combine is full of GM's poking for info, that becomes real mid March of which FA's may not get re-signed..Players Agents are there too, knowing of a possible work stoppage? It will be interesting to see the guaranteed money on the length of some of these new contacts due to pending work stoppage..i hope the nfl gets to work on the important stuff & that's not playing london games? but it looks to be refs,replays & teams transplanting :(    

• Upvote 1

CHECKING THE FACTS

The NFL is a pass-happy league.......

.......But the stats show good teams still run the ball well. The Browns have the backs to do it.

Don’t forget that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Amen.

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

CHECKING THE FACTS

The top 3 rushing teams Sea.,Balt,Rams..All lost a rotating RB piece during the season due to injury.. Add in Cinn/Bernard & Pitt/Conner too in the division.. Anna & Lynic department, should be screaming at JD.."no way you trade a RB piece!" 

Yup, you need to be able to run the ball respectably...but you ABSOLUTELY MUST be able to pass the ball, cos if you can't, your opponent will shut down your run and you'll be dead in the water. 

ST's providing even just better than league average play with far fewer penalties will increase wins by 2, maybe 3 games. You can't be worst in the league without paying a stiff price and we have for many seasons in a row now. Add vastly improved run stopping to the D and I think we are playoff bound.

• Upvote 1

Oh, boy.

That’s a valid question, assuming:

1. Hunt doesn’t have a long suspension.

2. Hunt doesn’t get into any more trouble.

Both of those are HUGE assumptions. The penalty for domestic violence is supposed to be at least a six-game suspension. Even before Hunt signed with the Browns last Monday, I heard he was facing at least a 10-game ban. That’s because the league was looking into at least two other incidents besides the video of Hunt shoving and kicking a woman in Cleveland last year........

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~●

Oh, boy. That just might come true stay tuned.

Too bad after all of the good PR the BROWNS picked up in the 2018 season.

Maybe I’m carried away with optimism because of the 5-3 finish, but it is a new ballgame for the Browns.

I think that we're all a little gun shy of being optimistic because of the past.  Dorsey & Mayfied (and hopefully Freddie) are certainly reasons to be optimistic.  Mayfield, however needs to fully understand that he cannot get hurt.  He has to throw it away, slide, get OB, or just plain fall down.  Without him, we'll suck.