THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker Mayfield

Soju

35 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

They had 4 drops today.  And a fumble 

And Baker overthrew OBJ to get a go ahead score. His long accuracy just isn't there anymore. The only completion he had where the ball went 20+ yards in the air was thrown behind Higgins. The Steelers defense was able to sell out on the handoff on 4th and 1 because they KNOW Baker isn't going to sneak it. The guy is holding the rest of the offense back. Get your fucking surgery, go on IR, and quit taking first team reps from Case. 

The receivers are overpaid. Landry's performance was awful. 

This team can't play a complete game. They cause way too many penalties.

Ultimately, this is a failure of the head coach. He really needs to step the fuck up. 

38 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

There sure are a lot of people on here fascinating by gay men 

This is my point all along.

As everyone knows by now, I am an open-minded guy.

But I have never seen more homosecual activity on the Browns Board than I do right now.

Gays to the left, gays to the right. But I'm cool with it. Except the pooofy real gay ones.

Z

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

Ultimately, this is a failure of the head coach

Abso-fucking-lutely. Chubb started off running the ball well and went pass happy after that. On top of D'Earnest Johnson having 140 yards last week, why didn't we see a one two punch of Chubb and Johnson? 

The tone of this game was set that it was going to be a low scoring game. And the game was practically handed to Cleveland on a silver platter when their kicker went down. And in typical Cleveland fashion we were like "no really, we don't want it. TAKE IT!!!"

I remember telling someone during the game right after the kicker went down that if Cleveland can't win this then I don't know what to think. Ah, there's that familiar feeling that only Browns fans know, "What the fuck did I just watch?"

4 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

And Baker overthrew OBJ to get a go ahead score. His long accuracy just isn't there anymore. The only completion he had where the ball went 20+ yards in the air was thrown behind Higgins. The Steelers defense was able to sell out on the handoff on 4th and 1 because they KNOW Baker isn't going to sneak it. The guy is holding the rest of the offense back. Get your fucking surgery, go on IR, and quit taking first team reps from Case. 

Ultimately, this is a failure of the head coach. He really needs to step the fuck up. 

He didn’t overthrow OBJ   OBJ went for a spectacular 1 handed catch. When all he needed to do was finish the route. 

3 hours ago, Zombo said:

But I have never seen more homosecual activity on the Browns Board than I do right now.

Gays to the left, gays to the right. But I'm cool with it. Except the pooofy real gay ones.

Z

I have no problem with gay people. My friend, who was a gay women, introduced me to my wife. 

I just don’t understand the fact that people like saying crap like “eat a dick”. Unless that’s there preference 

Baker out there didn't give us an edge, what was the point of risking more severe injury? Injured Baker can't throw accurately downfield like Keenum so should've rested him till the Cincy game at least. Game plan was uninspiring, I was honestly expecting more of a 1-2 punch of Chubb and Johnson and the defense can never make a stop when it's needed. The season isn't over but the division is much more competitive than I thought it would be so a playoff spot is not a given.

4 hours ago, VaporTrail said:

OBJ tried for a spectacular 1 handed catch. He could’ve easily caught it  by just being a normal receiver 

1 minute ago, MDDawg said:

Baker out there didn't give us an edge, what was the point of risking more severe injury? Injured Baker can't throw accurately downfield like Keenum so should've rested him till the Cincy game at least. Game plan was uninspiring, I was honestly expecting more of a 1-2 punch of Chubb and Johnson and the defense can never make a stop when it's needed. The season isn't over but the division is much more competitive than I thought it would be so a playoff spot is not a given.

The division winner might be 10-7. At best 11-6. 

2 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

OBJ tried for a spectacular 1 handed catch. He could’ve easily caught it  by just being a normal receiver 

That ball looked high to me, Baker threw a similarly high ball to a wide open Hooper and missed a TD. Baker just hasn't played well since injuring that shoulder, is a 75% Baker better than Keenum in a game that was similar to the Bronco's on paper?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

That ball looked high to me, Baker threw a similarly high ball to a wide open Hooper and missed a TD. Baker just hasn't played well since injuring that shoulder, is a 75% Baker better than Keenum in a game that was similar to the Bronco's on paper?

Obj short armed it and was looking at the defender

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MDDawg said:

It was high, Baker had to get it a bit high for the rush coming at him - Hooper had his hands on it  - just bumbled it.

5 hours ago, Zombo said:

Z

It was a damn TEAM effort to blow that game. Please.. You have some homo love for Baker.  FACT.  :D

Yeah, his receivers dropped passes left and right- but that doesn't excuse him for missing an easy TD to Hooper either. I've joined the Joe (Woods) gotta go brigade.  Did we blitz ONCE the entire game? I doubt it.  You have good\great press corners. so keep playing them a mile off the ball.  My over \under on Chase next week is 200 yards recieving. 

7 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

It was high, Baker had to get it a bit high for the rush coming at him - Hooper had his hands on it  - just bumbled it.

Sorry Cal- a Rodgers makes that throw every time. Not totally his doing but Bake had two chances to win that game in the 4th.. and he didn't get it done.

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Sorry Cal- a Rodgers makes that throw every time.

a healthy Rodgers, that is............. I don't know if the Browns would have won with Keenum at qb in this game. Not sure, but when Conklin went out, the pressure started getting to Baker. But Baker's injury, as much as he amazed by several passes, has caused him to float passes too often.

Meanwhile, the Bengals' defense completely imploded, so there is still hope.

On 10/31/2021 at 5:35 PM, BernieSuperbowl said:

Another Baker apologist. I'm going to shut you Baker idiots up with the dropped passes. There are 20 teams that have more dropped passes than us. So STFU.

Where did you pull those numbers from?  Game? Year? And insult another member spouting your opinion is going to get you a quick time out. 

BTW, it's not #of drops, it's when they happen. Landry's killed potential game winning drives. 

On 11/1/2021 at 12:02 AM, hoorta said:

It was a damn TEAM effort to blow that game. Please.. You have some homo love for Baker.  FACT.  :D

Yeah, his receivers dropped passes left and right- but that doesn't excuse him for missing an easy TD to Hooper either. I've joined the Joe (Woods) gotta go brigade.  Did we blitz ONCE the entire game? I doubt it.  You have good\great press corners. so keep playing them a mile off the ball.  My over \under on Chase next week is 200 yards recieving. 

I don't know my friend.  The pass to Hooper wasn't perfect, but well within the catch radius.  The ball didn't tip off the end of his outstretched arms and fingers.  It went through the hands.  It should have been caught.  I sit about even to where the play happened in the club section, so I had a pretty good view of the play.  Indeed, Zman may have a bit of a man crush on baker, but it seems to me you hold a bit of a grudge against the guy as well.

As for Woods, I am not thrilled with the guy, but bitching about a D and coordinator after giving up 15 points probably isn't a good time to express that opinion.  I will agree that we gave up too many first downs on 3rd and long.  How much of that is on the D called or the players not getting it done is the big question. 

18 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I don't know my friend.  The pass to Hooper wasn't perfect, but well within the catch radius.  The ball didn't tip off the end of his outstretched arms and fingers.  It went through the hands.  It should have been caught.  I sit about even to where the play happened in the club section, so I had a pretty good view of the play.  Indeed, Zman may have a bit of a man crush on baker, but it seems to me you hold a bit of a grudge against the guy as well.

As for Woods, I am not thrilled with the guy, but bitching about a D and coordinator after giving up 15 points probably isn't a good time to express that opinion.  I will agree that we gave up too many first downs on 3rd and long.  How much of that is on the D called or the players not getting it done is the big question. 

1. That was a horrible pass. He was wide open and Hooper shouldn't have had to make a catch that would have gotten him on Sportscenter to make it. 

2. Yes. Pittsburgh scored 15 points. If someone would have told us that the Steelers would only score 15 points, EVERY SINGLE POSTER ON THIS BOARD would have taken it gladly. At the end of the day, I think there's a good chance the Browns move on from Joe Woods (someone is going to be a fall guy after this season when they don't make the playoffs, and it won't be Stefanski), but 15 points allowed is 15 points allowed. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

1)  Where did you pull those numbers from?  Game? Year? 

2)                  And insult another member spouting your opinion is going to get you a quick time out. 

3)                               BTW, it's not #of drops, it's when they happen. Landry's killed potential game winning drives. 

1) https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232 doubled our total from 5 to 10 drops.. but, let's blame Baker 

2) but this putz, can login after only losses ?   

On 9/14/2021 at 4:28 PM, browns52 said:

again, you will never know the answer unless you actually talk to the db....you are the fucking moron.....you are a major ignore, becaause you (Tia) don't knwo jack shit about football....

On 10/11/2021 at 7:23 AM, browns52 said:

again you stupid fuck..(My yearly ignore again) what defense....we were last in the league last yr on 4th down.....this yr is no different.....we had a chance to step on their throat with a 2 td lead ana them going for it on their own 24 and we did not get it done....just 1 example but you are and illiterate moron and can't read anyway so i won't point out the other really bad d plays.....see ya disco morono  

he's a 3 year troll here.. ignored the idiot.. just to get attached post... 

"And insult another member spouting your opinion is going to get you a quick time out". BernieSuperBowl ? (for what? he's new & drops is informative) what's browns52? 

3)  https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-poor-wr-roi  5-6 drops

On 11/1/2021 at 12:11 AM, calfoxwc said:

a healthy Rodgers, that is............. I don't know if the Browns would have won with Keenum at qb in this game. Not sure, but when Conklin went out, the pressure started getting to Baker. But Baker's injury, as much as he amazed by several passes, has caused him to float passes too often.

Meanwhile, the Bengals' defense completely imploded, so there is still hope.

Yup losing to the Steelers was a bad loss. It wouldn't be nearly as bad if we already didn't have two of them.  Chiefs (who currently aren't looking like  Super Bowl material) and the Chargers. 

It's a "must win" game this Sunday down in Cinci, or the season is pretty well shot.  

• Like 1

Bottom line is that a receiver needs to catch every catchable  ball. 

Also I don't quite understand all the videos of a wide-open obj. Pass plays are set up so that the ball was in the air before the receiver gets to his spot. So if the place that has been called is meant for someone else at some place else what's the difference if he's open?

WSS

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Also I don't quite understand all the videos of a wide-open obj. Pass plays are set up so that the ball was in the air before the receiver gets to his spot. So if the place that has been called is meant for someone else at some place else what's the difference if he's open?

WSS

You would think. That's why they're called professionals. A professional pass catcher should catch the ball every time.

Imagine a professional musician playing  wrong notes as many times as these "professionals" drop passes.

A doctor would lose his license.

5 minutes ago, Gorka said:

You would think. That's why they're called professionals. A professional pass catcher should catch the ball every time.

Imagine a professional musician playing  wrong notes as many times as these "professionals" drop passes.

A doctor would lose his license.

And while mistakes can happen I didn't see a lot of uncatchable passes.

WSS

18 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Not to bash on Baker, but here's something I heard on the way back to Dayton, and NFL.com reposted it...  However- there's no denying Baker often doesn't see receivers that are wide open.  

"First and foremost, I need to do a better job,'' Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Monday, via Cleveland.com. "I really do. I need to make sure that I put him in position to make some plays and I didn't do a good enough job, certainly yesterday. Having said that, he gets a lot of attention from the defense. There were a bunch of plays where the safety is cheating to him and that opens up opportunities for other guys.

"I think of an early third down that we had where the post safety stayed to the boundary side because he was cheating towards Odell and we hit a big play to Jarvis, so his effect on our offense is there. But I do need to do a better job of making sure the ball makes its way into his hands."

I'll go out on a limb and say the Browns aren't going to trade or cut OBJ (and his $8 million salary) based on that. Just using him as a very expensive decoy.  Here's the entire article...  

https://www.nfl.com/news/kevin-stefanski-i-need-to-do-a-better-job-of-getting-odell-beckham-involved-in-b

On 10/31/2021 at 6:45 PM, Neo said:

Abso-fucking-lutely. Chubb started off running the ball well and went pass happy after that.

HAHAHA.  Because his first carry was a 14yd run? Chubb tied his all time low in ypc this year in that game.

The Steelers stuffed him which put pressure on Mayfield to try and get the job done.

If Baker is not 100% Then he is hurting us more than helping us right now, It is still his team Just because the back up had to play a couple games don't mean anything. If we only win a few games "because he was hurt" Is no way to get a contract Compared to us finishing with a winning record and he missed a couple games. iss 2 games Get to be 100% 

10 hours ago, ballpeen said:

the passes were all catchable.  I thought OBJs was a little high and wide.  Baker was late on the 4th down drop BUT Landry has that catch 97% of the time. 

For a team that had Super Bowl aspirations why isn’t it a good time to talk about our defense 

Let’s talk about 15 points  

They didn’t have a kicker in the second half!!!

They stupidly went for a fake. And like you said it was too many first downs on 3rd and long.

We can’t force a turnover.  Because we haven’t bought into the idea like the rest of the NFL that pressure has a way of creating Turnovers.  

We can’t rattle a QB who should retire but he goes 22 of 34 a TD and almost 300 yards with Juju out.  There is a reason the guy hasn’t gone down field at all the last two years.  Didn’t Sunday either but we got the memo to late when we provided a cushion for three quarters 

We are all driving nails in steeler coffin all season talking about how pathetic their Oline is…Vagitron is loving every bit and good for him because we all talked so much smack about how awful their Oline is. 

That kind of game/effort will get us buried this Sunday. 

But here we are and we will make excuses for Joe Woods again call him a “fall guy”.   

Wild rant here but I expected a lot more from this team. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Not to bash on Baker, but here's something I heard on the way back to Dayton, and NFL.com reposted it...  However- there's no denying Baker often doesn't see receivers that are wide open.  

"First and foremost, I need to do a better job,'' Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Monday, via Cleveland.com. "I really do. I need to make sure that I put him in position to make some plays and I didn't do a good enough job, certainly yesterday. Having said that, he gets a lot of attention from the defense. There were a bunch of plays where the safety is cheating to him and that opens up opportunities for other guys.

"I think of an early third down that we had where the post safety stayed to the boundary side because he was cheating towards Odell and we hit a big play to Jarvis, so his effect on our offense is there. But I do need to do a better job of making sure the ball makes its way into his hands."

I'll go out on a limb and say the Browns aren't going to trade or cut OBJ (and his $8 million salary) based on that. Just using him as a very expensive decoy.  Here's the entire article...  

https://www.nfl.com/news/kevin-stefanski-i-need-to-do-a-better-job-of-getting-odell-beckham-involved-in-b

Well there could be that at least partially. But I don't know how many plays are timing patterns and how many the quarterback dances around in the backfield waiting to find somebody that's open.

WSS

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

We can’t force a turnover.  Because we haven’t bought into the idea like the rest of the NFL that pressure has a way of creating Turnovers.  

We are all driving nails in steeler coffin all season talking about how pathetic their Oline is…Vagitron is loving every bit and good for him because we all talked so much smack about how awful their Oline is

But here we are and we will make excuses for Joe Woods again call him a “fall guy”.   

- You want to link PFF stats and live by them, then you can die by them as well.

"Dan Moore Jr. had a difficult time handling Myles Garrett on the edge, as he was beaten eight times and allowed three hurries and one sack on 36 pass-blocking snaps. He allowed pressure on 13.9% of his snaps to finish with a 0.0 pass-blocking grade, upon first review. Pittsburgh’s offensive line combined to surrender three sacks and nine pressures."

If we're winning the pressure battle with 4, sending additional bodies doesn't commensurately amount to pressure or turnovers. Anthony Walker STILL has head scratchers in coverage.  That seam throw to Freiermouth for the 3rd down? That was on him expanding in a flat zone as opposed to carrying down the seam.  But Barry knew he was limited upon signing.  Teams are finding ways to attack him.

- The Steelers Oline is NOT good.  When you're willing to give your rookie QB 30 touches to help create any breathing room for your QB and to help your tackles out, then that alone should answer two questions.    Are they any good? Did the Browns defense win with personnel and scheme?  Both of those appear to be a "yes".

- There are no excuses.  I went in on Woods for the San Diego game.  We put up 42 points and you HAVE to find a way to not let the Chargers keep pace.  Granted, health is a very real issue on both sides of the ball.     The difference between us is this - when the Browns put up 42 points and botch a game tying/winning drive, your response was "The defense should have done better".   Which is the correct response.

When the Browns hold a team to a shade over 2 TD's in our house yet still lose, your response is "Well the defense should HAVE done more".  Which lacks any and all consistency.    This is where you deservedly earn my eye-roll.    Pittsburgh was 4-13 on 3rd downs.      That same terrible Denver offense we held to 14 put up 17 on the Steelers ON THE ROAD.    STOP spouting off about Woods and the defense for one god damn week this time, please.

-

35 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

- You want to link PFF stats and live by them, then you can die by them as well.

"Dan Moore Jr. had a difficult time handling Myles Garrett on the edge, as he was beaten eight times and allowed three hurries and one sack on 36 pass-blocking snaps. He allowed pressure on 13.9% of his snaps to finish with a 0.0 pass-blocking grade, upon first review. Pittsburgh’s offensive line combined to surrender three sacks and nine pressures."

If we're winning the pressure battle with 4, sending additional bodies doesn't commensurately amount to pressure or turnovers. Anthony Walker STILL has head scratchers in coverage.  That seam throw to Freiermouth for the 3rd down? That was on him expanding in a flat zone as opposed to carrying down the seam.  But Barry knew he was limited upon signing.  Teams are finding ways to attack him.

- The Steelers Oline is NOT good.  When you're willing to give your rookie QB (RB fixed it) 30 touches to help create any breathing room for your QB and to help your tackles out, then that alone should answer two questions.    Are they any good? Did the Browns defense win with personnel and scheme?  Both of those appear to be a "yes".

- There are no excuses.  I went in on Woods for the San Diego game.  We put up 42 points and you HAVE to find a way to not let the Chargers keep pace.  Granted, health is a very real issue on both sides of the ball.     The difference between us is this - when the Browns put up 42 points and botch a game tying/winning drive, your response was "The defense should have done better".   Which is the correct response.

When the Browns hold a team to a shade over 2 TD's in our house yet still lose, your response is "Well the defense should HAVE done more".  Which lacks any and all consistency.    This is where you deservedly earn my eye-roll.    Pittsburgh was 4-13 on 3rd downs.      That same terrible Denver offense we held to 14 put up 17 on the Steelers ON THE ROAD.    STOP spouting off about Woods and the defense for one god damn week this time, please.

Vag is saying Ben's arm is as good as ever... I say bullshit. Got any stats how many times he threw or completed a pass of more than 20 yards against the Browns? And I don't want YAC counted in that stat.  Thanks.  :)  

EDIT: Found it. two completions, two misses. He's Mr. dink and dunk now.