THE BROWNS BOARD

2022 Draft Prospects and off-season addition breakdowns.

tiamat63

I've already taken brief looks at Nick Cross, DB - Maryland  and Daniel Faalele, RT - Minnesota.     I'll come back around to those guys, but right now I wanted to focus on the player everyone in the NFL is talking about right now.

I'm leaving behind all other talk that isn't strictly X's and O's in this thread.  So if you're uncomfortable with my review for an on-field Watson, please skip this topic.  

What Deshaun brings to the table is pretty damn outstanding.   And there are a few examples in this clip as to just how.    Let me time stamp the first one's so you can watch them. But first there are things I noticed giving this cutup a couple watches.

- Deshaun's pocket depth. It is a much more "traditional" protection distance when he sets, mostly between 7-8ish yards.   

- This puts your protection priority more in line with what you see from your classic pocket passers - interior pocket integrity.   You don't have to over-emphasize your protection on the edges.

- Watson's release and follow-through.  It's much more immediate with some drive and hip torque than I remember in Clemson. I think this is how he has put a bit more juice on his passes in the NFL.  The ball comes out with a little more velocity on it.   Not the most elite of elite in terms of arm strength, there are only so many Mahomes and Allen's walking around on Earth.   But the company Watson keeps is more in line with Russel Wilson and Justin Herbert.  So we're talking about differences at the highest of levels.    His arm is perfectly fine.

- Operating from empty sets.    I'm not going to speak ill of the dead, but I've made mention this coaching staff and their need to scrap those sets because of the inability to execute the concepts leading to offensive inefficiency.  

Time stamps for the empty sets.

@ 1:23 - reads the corner jump the out (almost like 2 trap)  You can see the hitch in the throwing motion beforce Deshaun makes his decision.   Then uncorks, throwing back and inside shoulder to the receiver.  This gives the safety almost zero chance to recover.     The patience when that back-foot is set and Watson WANTS to throw vs when he understands the coverage and when the ball NEEDS to come out.   This is calm operation from the pocket.       What's most important is what I mentioned above, his set is around 6 & 1/2 yards.    The weakside edge over the LT can't fly upfield and attempt to bend the corner.   He actually has to reroute his steps, drive off his back right foot and attempt to work through the tackle or go for a PBU.   This is how you make life just a bit easier on your Oline.

@ 2:56 - When you saw me talk about Baker during the Patriots game, about anticipating pressure as opposed to actually feeling pressure.  This is the exact opposite example of that in what you WANT to see your QB doing.    You get two influence routes, the stick in front of the linebackers.  If the backers keep getting depth and you feel pressure, take your yards.  If they float and keep a lane open and you don't feel pressure, you do exactly what Watson did and hit the over behind the backers as the window opens.    This is reading, understanding, feeling and delivering all in one.

@ 5:01 - A 5th man pressure which ends up rolling into a C1 look.  Deshaun threads a seam throw into an area that had Jaire Alexander falling off his receiver and where the safety voided, originally being outside that hash.  Held the single high just enough and understood where he needed to go with the ball.  

@ 8:01- It's honestly my favorite play from this cutup because of all the work and understanding I see this young QB have before the snap.   Watson see's the deployment and that the Lions have walked Jamie Collins out over Duke Johnson and he's high inside.   This tends to indicate a man-coverage look when you draw a LB, but the alignment gives a lot of space to work your defender with.  But what he also see's is a nickel DB rotate over Randall Cobb (to this right) with another DB already sitting there.   Chances are this was a bad pre-snap alignment by the DB, but either way Watson saw it.  Then you get the alert check, the helmet tap to his receivers after seeing what the defense is showing. Following it up, Deshaun see's the pressure coming, identifies it and calls the protection to his line.   He peeps the single high, knows Duke will win this matchup on the sluggo and tosses a gift for a TD.              

The Lions lost this play before Watson even took the snap.       That's high level QB'ing.

@ 8:41 - Deshaun channeling his inner Tom Brady pre-snap.  He's calling out the alerts to his receivers when he reads pressure.  And this is another 5 man pressure the Colts are sending at him.  Zero panic and hurry, he even tags the #1 and #2 receivers field side to their new alignments (the lack of crowd noise helps, I'm sure) calls his protection and identifies the MIKE backer.  His drop depth is a bit more than the last few times - around 7 & 1/2 yards, but once that back foot plants, he's creeping and climbing in the pocket and standing tall, hangs tough and throws the drag behind the shallow crossers.    Watson is pretty, I hesitate to use the word "notorious" for bottling up pressure and driving the ball downfield.  But that's what he loves to do and it's the modern NFL,  the passing game is to do just that - get downfield.      Watching his mechanics and footwork is impressive, the little things most people don't notice.    

I think it was either @SdBacker80 or @Dutch Oven who linked an article mentioning the Steelers game plan was to send those 5 man pressure at Baker and force him to operate in a way I'm watching Deshaun do here.    Well that game plan will need tweaking because DW was 5/5 with 1 TD and 117 yards (by my count) with not INT's throwing empty in this clip.

Bonus watch - @ 2:02 is fucking absurd because it's another 5 man pressure with man behind it that DW calls out and destroys.   He drifts just far enough away from Watt waiting for Cobb to force the DB to flip his hips, then tosses a strike which Cobb YACs up for a TD.   

Can't stress enough how exciting it is to see this level of QB play pre AND post snap.   This is why this guys are getting paid like they do.  The difference in being able to make the entirety of your playbook effective and lethal along with having a more fluid and flexible ability to design offensive attacks is something every head coach dreams of.   And now the Browns have that QB. 

More to come on Deshaun as I find it and get a chance to review.  Then I'll jump back to Cross and Faalele.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Some studs are just gifted with rare NFL QB talent... coaching from HS to college can only bring out those rare talents... Watson carrying those talents, from his release to his toes is just as rare..

DW's awareness in the pocket..  Do I have to give credit to Debo & his Clemson coaching staff as a ACC fan? Trevor Lawrence looked to have it too, coming out of Clemson..

@tiamat63  Well done in post above 👍

Bonus watch - @ 2:02 is fucking absurd because it's another 5 man pressure with man behind it that DW calls out and destroys.   He drifts just far enough away from Watt waiting for Cobb to force the DB to flip his hips, then tosses a strike which Cobb YACs up for a TD.

^^^^ here lies the why I was excited to see my sleeper in our FA's...WR Jakeem Grant 👀   I fell in love with Grant watching our PS game with Miami a few years back..

Not only will Grant be our shifty ST return ace...Grant should have the chance to push Schwartz & Felton for some quick breaking WR reps.. YAC is a thing with balls placed to create it! 

Would Ojabo be worth a round 2 or round 3 this season now that it has been confirmed he tore his Achilles at pro day?

My proposed round 3 and day 3 list for TE and DI, 2 positions we're going to be targeting in the draft..

TE Isaiah Likely, Coastal Carolina // Jelani Woods, Virginia // Chig Okonkwo, Maryland
DT Farrell, LSU // Booker, Stanford

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

Would Ojabo be worth a round 2 or round 3 this season now that it has been confirmed he tore his Achilles at pro day?

My proposed round 3 and day 2 list for TE and DI, 2 positions we're going to be targeting in the draft..

TE Isaiah Likely, Coastal Carolina // Jelani Woods, Virginia // Chig Okonkwo, Maryland
DT Farrell, LSU // Booker, Stanford

He'd be a steal in Rd 3 as people had him mocked in the first half of the first round. 

Depending how long Watson is suspended though we might be in win now mode

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Depending how long Watson is suspended

Seems more like a 4-year contract than 5.. if he's out for 2/3 of next season we'd be lucky to be 4-4 if/when he finally is allowed to his first full-speed practice in 18 months. And we can be sure the schedule will magically have the bye week in like 14 just to ensure watson's suspension is as negatively impactful as possible.

2 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

now if that was text instead of voice --or some enterprising soul posted a transcript afterwards-- there'd be a history of such things to look up..

Voice, likely.  Was watching the game with a couple of you guys and some friends as well.  

We need to keep a court stenographer on record for such things, really makes that search history easier.  I'll add him to the list when I'm done with Watson, Cross and Faalele.

edit: had to have been the Auburn game because I remember having money on the under.

3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

Ojabo (DE) ruptured his Achilles at Michigan's pro day. Was probably going in the 1st. Could be a steal when he drops but he wouldn't play until 2023 probably. 

They said a 6 month recovery which I find hard to believe given that injury. 

This is like the Jaylon Smith ND scenario 

On 3/19/2022 at 1:49 PM, Unsympathetic said:

My proposed round 3 and day 3 list for TE 

TE Isaiah Likely, Coastal Carolina // Jelani Woods, Virginia // Chig Okonkwo, Maryland ( his pro day is March 30th)

TE Jelani Woods 6' 7" 253 lbs. (invite Shrine Bowl)

Woods had the most reps on the bench press (24) from the tight end class at the combine as well as the second-fastest 40-yard dash, finishing in 4.61 seconds..

TODAYS PRO DAY

Vertical Jump: 37.5"

Broad Jump: 10.9"

3 Cone Drill: 6.78 seconds*

20-yard Shuttle: 4.20 seconds*

TE Jelani Woods is now #1 most athletic tight end prospect EVER!

FOkKCE3XwAwoypU.jpg.7e1111bf6110d8ca9211ec09224b89c7.jpg    ACC TE FREAK alert 🚨 !

Until further notice, my favorite value IDL in the 2022 draft.  

Neil Farrell Jr, LSU

-Play strength is absurb.  His ability to control a gap or play heads up and control his man is outstanding.    His arm length isn't elite, so he isn't going to shed and Kenny Clark anybody's ass,  but he has heavy and quick hands with great placement inside the framework of the Oline to leverage his gap.  While he doesn't offer much in the way of pure pass rush, he is "active" in his pass rush moves - I.E. his feet don't stop and he works through/past his blocker.    His leg drive on zone-to is fantastic and his lateral discipline and pursuit ability on zone-away is also looking pretty solid.   

The LSU defense had a noticeable drop off when he was off-the field, incredibly similar to what would happen with NCState last year when Alim McNeil wasn't playing the nose.   (Noticing a 'Neil' trend here)  There's nothing sexy about his game, he's a classic 0/1 gap plugging monster, but the type of value you can get with production at a rookie position provided he keeps working on the fundamental things he flashed in this clip (pad level, leg drive, quick hands)   This is my exact kind of player. 

Some time stamps.   The 1st series was teach tape on how to hold your assignment.  The 2nd series when Neil was being spelled, UCLA went back inside early and often and LSU was pushed around.   The 3rd series when he was back in on early downs, UCLA went to their outside veer and play action game. 

@ 2:13 - Absolutely rocks the center and re-establishes his base, zero movement on the interior.  

@ 2:25 - UCLA ran a decent amount of gap power looks.   A 1-tech drawing a nature "true" double team and holds his ground.  Botched snap, but no peeling to the 2nd level from either the center or guard.

@ 2:51 - A car crash that jolts the play side guard, forces the RB to chop his feet, reset laterally and run into downhill pursuit.  What's most impressive here was something I mentioned above, beating your man then working through him.  

@ 3:31 - is a next level snap time.   Not the greatest thing to watch in terms of getting the jump then cleaning it all up, that's how you earn a 1st round grade.  But what he's doing is facilitating for his 2nd level.  The linebackers "see" clear and have a lane downhill because this monster clears the guard.  So provided the front side pursuit turns this back inside, those linebackers can attack when they see that backside pull.  See it and trigger.  That's all made possible by the dirty work done up front.

@ 3:38 is where I talk about being "active" as a pass rusher.  Nobody will confuse this man as Aaron Donald, but his active legs and drive give him a shot at the QB in the backfield.  More importantly they make life hell stepping up into a clean interior pocket as he works through the right shoulder of the LG.   But peep the awareness, knowing when to be slippery and work off the block anticipating the QB to keep and escape.  That's eye discipline. 

@ 4:24 - 1tech from an under look.  To clean up pass-pro, the LG "short sets" into the 2i, so the RG gets Neil if he is outside shoulder and the Center can pick him up inside shoulder.  Neil works a left hand over, like a half a swim, and narrows his upper body a bit to hit the gap.   Does this while keeping his feet moving and maintaining a sound base.   Gets upfield and almost has one of those big paws into the throwing lane.

@ 4:38 - Can't speak highly enough about this.  1tech in more of an Over front (3tech to the strength). Neil's back foot drive and pad level is great, he's working through the shoulder of the guard before the center can finish his snapping motion and help on the double.  That wasn't even the most clean exchange from under center and I would suspect a lot of what has to do with Neil's presence.   Few things are more "Oh shit, I have to be ready" than a monster nose who can out muscle any of your Oline 1 on 1.     That weakside backer, #18, is living the sweet life behind an interior hog like that and he knows it.   This play is on the DB, #21, things got spilled to him and he didn't man up and take his assignment.   When you're a DB in the run fit, your coaches are going to be all over you in film breakdown when this happens.    A good read by the RB, chopping his steps, separating his eyes from his body and cutting this back.   But a better job by our guy here forcing the UCLA backs into this mindset most of the night.  

@ 5:38 - I don't know if Farrell had a bead on the snap count or what, but there have been a few times on this tape where he is already working into his gap and the center hasn't finished his snap.  And that first impact is a MF to deal with, there is zero push from that side.  Actually if these guards didn't re-anchor so well, they lost more ground than they earned.  Constantly re-drawing the LOS to his side.    Neil continues to work through the LG, the double pull has to get depth in the backfield to get around him and we know, when you're busy going backwards while in the backfield, you're busy going absolutely no where.  LSU backside actually does their job and holds their assignments and UCLA has no gain.   Almost the exact same double pull from that wing as the play before @ 4:38.

@ 7:26 - this was cool to see.  Playing closer to a 3tech, UCLA runs their version of their outside veer, Neil doesn't allow the playside Guard to work across his face.   That first contact (a theme of strength for Farrell) knocks the RG back 2 yards, in turn this changes the depth of first cut for the RB.   Admittedly he should have continued working laterally through the RG, instead he tries to get fancy and make a play by shedding and almost back-dooring the RB.   If this is a "negatively" graded play, then it's the only one I've found all night.  

The LSU defense had some trouble that night against UCLA, but it was in no part because of Neil.  His tape was about as steady production snap after snap as you'll find.  I doubt you'll see but a couple negatively graded plays... at best.     The Tigers had trouble against parts of UCLA's running game, but those parts were on the backside clean up, edges and a couple blown coverages.  NFJ acquitted himself about as well as you could ask for.  The Bruins got flashes of him early and wanted no part of his side of the line, to the point where most of the designed calls that work were away from Neil or while he was off the field.      

I can all but guarantee Neil will be called a "2 gap nose", like he isn't able to play in 1 gap systems.   He is, and there's nothing to make me suspect otherwise.   He has a good motor, quick feet for a man his size and makes life incredibly difficult executing interior runs especially against teams that like to pull.    His technique needs a touch of work.  His feet really, as you can't rely on pure strength in the NFL.  And he does need to work on being a touch quicker in his hand strikes, but I'm critiquing things that you can see flashes of, not things that are completely absent.  At this point it's all about professional coaching and repetition.   This is a solid prospect who can come in and play right away because of what he's good at.   Alim McNeil was a 3rd round pick and had a bit more explosion to his first step (upfield and laterally)  If I had to venture I'd say Farrell checks in late 4th-5th.   I haven't looked at his senior bowl performance, but if his game tape and individual drills look good there then he could climb a bit.  Maybe not quite day 2, by high day 3? Absolutely. 

Either way, I'm a value shopper and for my dollar - Neil Farrell Jr is top of that list.  

• 2 weeks later...

While my lady is getting a nap in, I got some time to go over a bit more of Neil Farrell this morning.  

@ 0:28 - takes on the double from the 1tech.  The center gets in to move him out of the hole, when he peels off, Neil works to re-win back to the guards inside shoulder and his gap.  That's good integrity and fighting to get the W on your assignment.  

@ 0:33 - Good work taking on the playside guard and center against this inside zone.   Doesn't let the center get across his face, guard can't finish out his zone step and work to the 2nd level.  RB has no where to go and is forced to cut this lane back against the flow. 

@ 1:37 - Zone read and Nix keeps.   Have to admit, Bo is a hell of an improviser.  That said, Neil wins through the (poor) contact by the center, guard peels to the next level and our guy stays square in the hole working against the zone step and getting depth into the backfield.   Had this been a give, it would have been DOA.  

2:40 - Ball action on a split zone look from under center, and the backside sift block almost fucks this up.  Because the scheme lets that backside pursuit loose, #11 does a good job getting ahead of the block and upfield.  Just goes a bit too far to finish the job.   Back to NFJ, he's working through the short set by the RG and the RT might get a hand in there.  I mentioned this before but he has active feet and good leg drive.  Maybe a bit too high here, I'd like to see a lower pad level, but his feet and square body get him by.   When the QB plants his back foot, he can't complete his step up into the pocket because Neil has collapsed and got himself a QB hit/pressure.

@ 3:55 - Cut blocks by the tackles.  I like NFJ's eyes here.  They work "disconnected" from his body. He's eyes up and staying active beyond just what is immediately in front of him as a blocker.   Gets one of those big paws in the passing lane when he see's the QB motion starting.      Again, I don't know his wingspan, but his arms look a bit on the shorter side.  That isn't a deal-breaker for me.  Especially when I'm talking about value IDL in the later rounds.  

@ 4:42 - This is where I feel NFJ shines a good bit.  He's playing a spot of 1i Tech here, gets a good initial burst step, solid pad level and drives the LG back towards the QB.   Granted there's a slight disadvantaged by the LG who has to anchor against a nose getting a half step, but it's good quickness to power.  And despite having shorter arms, Neil can win that way.   He actually would have picked up this pressure had this ball needed to go any further down the field.

-----2nd Half.  It was at this point I see Auburn had all but given up running Neil's way early.   On early downs they went outside on the jets and went to more early down play action.---  

@ 8:57 - Auburn using more early down ball action.  Similar look from the one I mentioned above, the sift block comes to kick out the edge.   Only difference is Neil gets the attention of the center and a bit of the LG now.    The thing I don't like here is his attempt to roll off the block and back into the gap.   He's tried it a few times.  It's difficult and rare to find an IDL that has a quality spin.  And half the time it won't work because if you get contact off balance, you're going backwards.   Quinn Pitcock had a nasty spin move when he was at Ohio State.  But he was 6'1 295, not 6'3 325lbs and he used it in straight drop passing downs.

I'm still pretty high on Neil.  But not so high that he goes before Day 3.   He has his limitations that can be improved on with coaching, reps, film, conditioning and discipline.   I will maintain that he would held any defense that is weak up the middle rather early in most any rotation.  He's strong enough to anchor, active enough to get into gaps and just agile enough to not get reach blocked on the lateral run game.     Still floating him around a 5th round pick.  He looks better than Tommy Togiai, who we took a bit too high in the 4th round IMHO.  

Listened to Farrell jr on a local Carolina feed today..sounded NFL prepared..stumbled on nothing he was asked.. He loved playing center in HS Basketball.. still plays pick up games to stay juice'd  as he calls it..

sometimes, I forget how young these players are  https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_c75c9678-3e6e-11ec-ab81-03c6861488e6.html 

he really spoke highly of Coach O & his position coaches..He also mentioned meeting with the Steelers at the combine...

• Thanks 1

WR draftee class vs. Press coverage ... https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/03/nfl-draft-browns-receiver-drake-london-jahan-dotson/  

FPa8aFmXsAMKzlK.jpg.29e8e7937bbffdce90eb3977b995ca7f.jpg

So a guy with some good game film has a poor combine to slip out of the 1st round? I just don't see Dotson falling into the 2nd round...

Dotson is one of the most difficult receivers to cover in the class. While he has some size concerns at only 5-foot-11 and 184 pounds, Dotson played through contact more than enough to alleviate any worries. He dropped only two of his 93 catchable targets last season.

Christian Watson----The Combine king is more than just a high-level testing athlete that we saw in Indy. He's a super flexible 6-foot-4, 208-pound receiver who can adjust to balls easily outside his frame. The drop issues and ball tracking are a tad concerning, however, as Watson has 16 drops on 120 career catchable.

Legit WR targets that may get to pick 44 on day 2?   David Bell     Skyy Moore    George Pickens      John Metchie III   Jalen Tolbert   Alec Pierce    Justyn Ross  

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

WR draftee class vs. Press coverage ... https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/03/nfl-draft-browns-receiver-drake-london-jahan-dotson/  

FPa8aFmXsAMKzlK.jpg.29e8e7937bbffdce90eb3977b995ca7f.jpg

So a guy with some good game film has a poor combine to slip out of the 1st round? I just don't see Dotson falling into the 2nd round...

Dotson is one of the most difficult receivers to cover in the class. While he has some size concerns at only 5-foot-11 and 184 pounds, Dotson played through contact more than enough to alleviate any worries. He dropped only two of his 93 catchable targets last season.

Christian Watson----The Combine king is more than just a high-level testing athlete that we saw in Indy. He's a super flexible 6-foot-4, 208-pound receiver who can adjust to balls easily outside his frame. The drop issues and ball tracking are a tad concerning, however, as Watson has 16 drops on 120 career catchable.

Legit WR targets that may get to pick 44 on day 2?   David Bell     Skyy Moore    George Pickens      John Metchie III   Jalen Tolbert   Alec Pierce    Justyn Ross  

13.33% drop rate? To quote the immortal Randy Jackson - that's a no from me dawg.

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's some Quincy Morgan shit right there. 

Corey Coleman was a 13% rate, If I recall. 

Dotson's size doesn't concern me when he has a QB like Deshaun throwing to him. There are more than enough ways to get him favorable matchups.   From what I've seen, he's quick, strong, has great feet and solid hands.      We know Cooper has taken over as the downfield threat, Dotson can pepper everywhere else on the field provided we get him the opportunities.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Corey Coleman was a 13% rate, If I recall. 

Dotson's size doesn't concern me when he has a QB like Deshaun throwing to him. There are more than enough ways to get him favorable matchups.   From what I've seen, he's quick, strong, has great feet and solid hands.      We know Cooper has taken over as the downfield threat, Dotson can pepper everywhere else on the field provided we get him the opportunities.

Color me intrigued on Dotson. 

• Upvote 1

Dotson made Shaun Wade look like a fool at Happy Valley in 2020…but Wade struggled that whole year. 

Beating press on the college level and doing it at the pro level are two different animals.

I still think Drake London is the special one here.  Dotson (Wilson too) does well in the contested catch area but London is the freak here…and that’s going to be 90% of the pro game. 

• Upvote 1

@TexasAg1969  LSU vs his Aggies

1:15 - there's one thing the teams I've watched so far have had almost zero success with.  Blocking NFJ on an inside zone, at the 1tech, using just the center.    Because this is fucking textbook control.  The RG immediately moves to the 2nd level on his zone step, NFJ fires off with good pad level and arm extension.  He controls the outside shoulder of the center, keeps his eyes up for more work, then rips back inside going arm over shoulder.  For a guy who doesn't have elite arm length, that type of 'active' is exactly how you win on the interior like that.

@ 1:21 - The very next play is outstanding work against the downblock by the RG, and the help from the center on the seal.  Neil fights through the contact, staying square with his eyes up, finishes beating the RG to his (inside) shoulder, then gets first contact on that ball carrier from what would have been the A (either side of the center) gap.    So far, A&M has had limited success running the ball inside on early downs.  Probably why they aired it out so early and often at the start of the game.   His continued fight through the double, and not allowing the RG to 'turn' him back inside, absolutely made this play.  NFJ shut that hole down almost himself. 

**** Stopping for a moment to gush over another player    I don't know who this #99 is on the IDL for LSU?!?!  He's their 3 tech in rotation and I've seen him in on sub packages and pass rush situations.  But watch this kid for next year, he's jumped off the screen a few times when I wasn't even watching him.   Remember me posting about him mid-way through this upcoming 2022 season ****    Back to Neil.

@ 3:05 - Again stands up the center, wins the LOS, uses enough arm extension to attack and close the L-A Gap.   Nothing flashy, just the necessary dirty work.   But these linebackers have a lot of room on the interior to move without constant 2nd level contact. 

@ 5:34 - Center gets handled so bad he loses his footing and is desperate to keep Neil from walking up the middle.   Almost could have drawn a tripping call here.   But there's no interior pocket integrity for the QB to step up in.    The strength of the LSU defense is past season is very obvious - their IDL rotation was outstanding.  No wonder they gave teams fits.

@ 5:42 - With Neil drawing the RG and Center, this WILL backer (23) gets to absolutely fly into the G gap reading clear.   Fortunately for the backer and his timing, he also gets ahead of the pull by the RT and completely destroys the mesh point of this handoff.

@ 6:01 - Neil gets matched up 1 on 1 in pass pro against the center. Works from the centers left shoulder, uses an arm over move and gets by him to his right shoulder.  At this point, LSU is winning all across the Dline.  There's no pocket integrity for their QB and that makes play calling a bitch.  Because you have no setup point, you can't run the ball inside, and it limits your concept calls because you have no time to throw downfield.

@ 6:25.  Neil isn't in this play, but I wanted to show the effects on what a good Dline can have on a QB when they've been consistently effective edge to edge all night.  That boy has more happy feet than both of those stupid penguin movies combined.    ZERO confidence stepping up and delivering that ball, dropping further ball and outside from pressure that wasn't even present that play because he's been feeling it all night, so now he's just expecting it to be there.   Having to setup on the run or from further back behind the line.  When A&M's QB finally starts his throwing motion, he's 13.5 yards behind the original LOS.   HOLY. FUCK.'

@ 7:22 - Center and the LG on the double.  Neil causes what amounts to a crash crash in that A gap, and the RG hasn't moved his man on his downblock.  This RB has no where to go by primary design.   Like I said, LSU's IDL is/was the real deal.  

@ 8:45 - NFJ's control on the center, despite being the R-A gap, plus the LG losing his assignment, allows the WILL backer to get over top without worrying about some cutback with this inside zone and he limits the RB to 3 yards. 

Wasn't until well into the 3rd QTR that A&M dialed up more pin and pull and off tackle looks and stopped going at LSU's interior.   Then they started finding a bit of success.   I can't speak to the quality of the Aggies Oline, so if TexAgs wants to chime in, that would be hot.     That will about wrap it up for me on Neil, I have some other players I need to work on.  I can't only get 3-4 games in for each one.  I feel comfortable enough with 3 games giving a solid assessment on Farrell and feeling firm with where I stand on him.   He would still be my preferred pick starting in the 5th round.    My initial look hasn't changed and neither has what Neil does best.  He's that early down plugger any team could use for cheap on their Dline rotation with the potential that he blossoms into a bit more with coaching, reps and conditioning. 

Going to move onto a name I was given by a friend - Logan Hall, IDL from Houston.  

• Upvote 1

The A&M OL was full of freshmen all rebuilt save Kenyon Green. A lot of talent, but a lot of inexperience too. They will get better over time playing together. They were also hampered by an inexperienced QB who was not even good enough to be retained now that King is back, Johnson transferred in from LSU and a supertalented freshman has joined the team. The 2022 team should look like a yo yo with so many new soph & freshman players in both lines. Tons of talent but it takes time to become a real coordinated team. I think their top 10 rating should be saved for 2023 & 24, not this year.

• Thanks 1

Free-agent safety Ronnie Harrison is signing back with the Browns on a one-year deal, per his agents @DrewJRosenhaus and @RyanMatha.

Former Steelers’ QB Josh Dobbs agreed to a 1-year deal with the Cleveland Browns, per his agent @MikeMcCartney7.

nothing yet on contract deals yet ^^^^ // but this looks odd

Cap Spending: Full Roster

POSITION
PLAYERS
CAP DOLLARS
% OF CAP
NFL RANK
Offense 31 $120,840,397 55.51% 3*
Defense 22 $62,245,798 28.59% 31*
Special Teams 5 $5,315,000 2.44% 20

Did a little age scouting this Sunday morning 

Covid & draftable ages ...

1.) Only Willis will be age 23 before week 1. Pickett thru Crumm will be ages 24..Skylar Thompson will be age 25..

2.) Oldest draftable? WR Tenn. Velus Jones will be 25.5 years old.

3.) Wyatt Davis/B. Ralmann/ P.Mathis/ Josh Jobe/ JoJo Domann/ Haskell Garrett/ K.Diesch/ Chase Allen/ M.Cunningham/ D.Drummond will be closing in on the age of 25

4.) Class of age 24? Jermaine Johnson/ T.Penning/ Boye Mafe/ Christian Watson/ Troy Anderson/ C.Austin/ Coby Bryant/ Cole Strange/ John Pashal/ Sam Williams/ TE J.Woods & C.Kolar/ OL J.Shaffer/ A.Lindstrom & A.Stuber and DT Neil Farrell Jr.

Interested to see how Berry plays this 🤔 after those rookie deals? they can't wait much longer to get paid

16 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Can't believe the Draft is less than three weeks away. 

3 weeks prior to every nfl draft, my boss knows my leave slip will arrive to take off..

59th birthday falls on night 1 and I refuse to go back to work until a Tuesday :) Approved since 1980 (after post I was ranked to a Apprentice 🤣)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

3 weeks prior to every nfl draft, my boss knows my leave slip will arrive to take off..

59th birthday falls on night 1 and I refuse to go back to work until a Tuesday :) Approved since 1980 (after post I was ranked to a Apprentice 🤣)

Yeah apprentice kind of sounds strange after all these years and posts.

I haven't been an apprentice for a long, long time like 50+ years. 

And the Draft is a NFL junkies national holiday.   :D

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

You still stoked for the upcoming Draft gumby?

I think my excitement kind of fell off after the Browns traded away their first rounder, and my hope the Browns could get Garrett Wilson ended, but I'm sure in the week leading up I'll get in the mood again.