THE BROWNS BOARD

2022 Draft Prospects and off-season addition breakdowns.

tiamat63

16 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

@tiamat63 I admitted my lack of football literacy, and the extenuating cultural background. When you say 3tech, my mind goes: "I thought 2 techs was the max before getting ejected." 

I have googled the terms I am unfamiliar with, and found explanations on all sorts of sites, but no definitive sources of interest. Anything you could recommend in terms of sites or youtube channels to learn some of the finer points of formations, schemes and such?

Another one for good measure.

Because it ties directly into what I was saying about our interior getting reach blocked even in simple weak inside zone assignments. 

https://youtu.be/i46jXNk7kN0

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Something positive this way comes -- OT Jedrick is the NFL's top OT in passpro this season.  Conklin at 8th seems not shabby after a year of rehab.

If you have a sub to their site, don't hesitate to post how the IOL looks per PFF.  I'm confident Pocic is going to grade out quite well. 

Edit: the return to form makes the Hudson situation that much better. Because now the Browns have options at RT, being they I'm pretty sure this is Jack's last year on his contract.

Good Lord Ethan Pocic

Of Course Bitonio

Are You Kidding Me Froholdt - Only 61 snaps.. but still

Conklin

Teller

Hudson - 163 snaps is a pretty good sample size.   The kids are going to be OK.

OBR Important Read: Building An Above-Avg IDL -- a study of the top 16 teams' 2023 salary spent, draft capital invested, and resulting PFF this year for each rostered IDL.  Can debate relative merit of rating method, but it's the same method applied to all teams so any error is consistent.

• Thanks 2

While the majority of my work that I'll be doing focuses on our Brownies, and in great detail, I always find myself fascinating at other happenings around the NFL.   Specifically in the AFC North.  And I will get to some of those at some point, likely during the off-season.   

As the phrase goes - "Keep your enemies closer".

I've spoken about about the few defensive pillars coordinators are using to attack Lamar Jackson and how those things really haven't changed the last 4 seasons.   

- 5/6 man rushes.  

- 'fencing' technique from edge rushers, either both sides or the opposite sides.

- Occupying all gaps along the interior

- Man/match coverage, little to no zone. 

- DB's leveraging to take away positive breaking routes.  Forcing Lamar to consistently throw negative breaks and to the numbers.

A couple things.  You might be hung up on the old school process of "you play zone when you face running QB's because man coverage can hurt you".   Which can be true, until it isn't.    That hinges on two main things.  The first being, are you gap sound and contain sound along the front? The second being, are you willing to live with a QB who still might bust a run or pass here and there?  If you're good with both, the NFL has really begun to catch up with Jackson as a passer.

DC's that are usually in favor of installing coverage wrinkles during the week against top tier passers have clearly forgone that option in favor of placing more focus on limiting Lamar along their defensive front.  To me, this speaks of defenses saying they fear Lamar being mobile far more than being able to consistently (there's that word again) beat them with his mind, eyes and arm talent.  

I figured I'd share this little screenshot while I'm charting some plays, because I really, if ever, see DB's with this type of inside leverage being used.   And it directly supports my conclusions about coaches believing Lamar is inaccurate when forced to throw certain types of routes and that they're willing to live with it.

- At the top (boundary) you don't have corners playing 'inside eye' technique, they've taken it a step further.   The perimeter boundary is full inside to outside shoulder.    The boundary nickel is even further inside shade, to the point he's a full body width length to Mark Andrews inside shoulder.    Now part of that could be to give Lamar another bluff to think that a nickel pressure might be coming.   But there's no DB or other defender remotely in the area to roll coverage over Andrews, so I'm dismissing that theory as quickly as I'm typing it.

- Finally, the field corner is playing heavy chains, but he is also a full body width inside of the Z receiver, with his hips turned inside.    

1643460023_Gmenleverage.thumb.jpg.3a2469613356658196c94b03e6cdeda6.jpg

It's just insane to see that type of alignment in the NFL in 2022.   And if you know people or come across a conversation that involves anyone believing Lamar Jackson is a top tier passer, this might as well be right from Done Martindale's mouth saying that he disagrees with you.  

1 hour ago, Korsou Dawg said:

This Browns-Commanders Trade Sends Daron Payne To Cleveland

https://www.nflanalysis.net/this-browns-commanders-trade-sends-daron-payne-to-cleveland/

Right up your alley @tiamat63?

Interesting.  A few thoughts

- To date, Payne has been an iron man on the field. He's missed 1 game in 5 years.  Best ability is availability.

- Still quite young at 25, and a former 1st round pick.   Those are two huge boxes checked for this front office.

- Concerns re: Cost after this season.   Unless that 'come to Jesus' moment has happened a lot earlier and a lot more intense than I expected, I don't think the Browns Brass will be willing to pay any IDL that amount of money who isn't someone like a Donald, Cox, Jones, etc etc.    You have to be a monster interior pass rusher for them to invest $$ in.     And I think they view Perrion as the future of the 3tech, and therefore the interior pass rush being cheap the next couple seasons.   (Did you get a chance to watch those links explaining the various gaps and techniques?  Makes this easier)

- What would WSH want in return? We have no 1st rounders to give, so tossing out a 2nd is risky business if you're trying to secure his services.  Even more so if you're talking multiple picks on top of a 2nd. The Rams say hello for that very reason.       On the flip side, if this team is parting ways with Clowney after this season, then the money on the DL might be there to spend...  but it's a lot in one basket.  Meaning this team has to draft and hit on another mid to late round edge prospect.     I leave the cap business to @Unsympathetic  and his calculator.     I'm just here to identify the talent.   

Hard to see this one happening from a trade/pick value all the way to potential near-future sticker shock.   The Dline, and the defense as a whole, would be immediately better for it though by a long way.  That's despite bringing a player in mid-season, which I'm not a fan of.      It's a big reason why I was in on going after Bravvion Roy a couple weeks ago. Fills a crucial role player need at a MUCH cheaper cost.  

But would I have a grin if this front office somehow pulled it off? Absolutely.   

• Upvote 1

this isn't fixed with just one guy -- Payne would be amazing of course.  But we can't only add payne -- our performance would be better if we had 3 guys beside Winfrey all above 55 rating even if they offered little vs pass other than preventing QB from stepping up.  Payne, Winfrey, and 2 rookies rated 36 isn't changing much....

Only thing for next year's cap.. 7.5 of Hooper's dead is sitting there [he was also 3.5 in 2022]. But that's done after 2023. Mayfield's 10.5 dead also is only 2022.

IMHO Payne is likely worth the risk, and if WAS would take a 4th plus allowing Browns to negotiate the extension, i'd do that in a heartbeat..

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

this isn't fixed with just one guy -- Payne would be amazing of course.  But we can't only add payne -- our performance would be better if we had 3 guys beside Winfrey all above 55 rating even if they offered little vs pass other than preventing QB from stepping up.  Payne, Winfrey, and 2 rookies rated 36 isn't changing much....

Only thing for next year's cap.. 7.5 of Hooper's dead is sitting there [he was also 3.5 in 2022]. But that's done after 2023. Mayfield's 10.5 dead also is only 2022.

IMHO Payne is likely worth the risk, and if WAS would take a 4th plus allowing Browns to negotiate the extension, i'd do that in a heartbeat..

You're correct, everything isn't just magically "fixed".  But if Payne and Davidson had been on roster week 4, we don't lose to ATL.  

Sprinkle in Delpit busting a cloud coverage, likely don't lose to the jets either. 

Important note on 2023 salary cap:

Given the 2023 increases to our top guys we need to be able to roll the current 2022 space onto next year.

For more detail read the link.

Even after including rolling all the 2022 space [33M] onto 2023, we're still left w only 9M space in 2023 to sign rookies and FA.  With no first-round that seems doable, but still rough and doesn't leave much space for someone big like Payne unless he'll take 1M 2023 salary. 

Current salary committed for 2023: 244M. 2023 cap: 225M.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...