THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

Which is it ?   A.  A clear win for Carolina.    B.  A clear loss for Cleveland  C.  Both  D.   Neither.  

How about a unanimous  C.   

is this pitiful story over yet ?    I'm afraid not.

58 minutes ago, Orion said:

Hmm...Higgins a good target?  'As Collinsworth said, He's not fast nor does he run particularly good routes.'     He's a CB's dream receiver.

I think their weapons complement Baker well…Moore and Anderson can get deep and open on playaction targets. Higgins as we know is a security blanket and mcCaffery should be a great pass run option for 6-8 games. 

Their Line is actually - Meh…which is unfortunate for Baker who seems to need that extra second to process things. 

2 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Which is it ?   A.  A clear win for Carolina.    B.  A clear loss for Cleveland  C.  Both  D.   Neither.  

How about a unanimous  C.   

is this pitiful story over yet ?    I'm afraid not.

The Defense, Special Teams and Ball Control offense need to be the theme early.  Fortunately we play three teams out of the gate that can beat themselves but nothing will be easy. 

OH, boy, our friends in NC will get us tickets. Baker is already listed at the starter at qb on the one depth chart I looked at.

Now, who does Baker throw to? A nicer wr group than Baker had in 2021.

https://profootballmania.com/2022/06/23/carolina-panthers-wide-receiver-outlook/

Most receiving yards -- last 3 seasons 1. Cooper Kupp -- 4,082 2. Davante Adams -- 3,924 3. Stefon Diggs -- 3,890 4. Travis Kelce -- 3,770 5. D.J. Moore -- 3,525

That is interesting....

"....they have an impressive wide receiver duo in D.J. Moore and Robby Anderson. Moore is coming off his third straight 1,000+ yard season – as he also has 87 receptions and 93 receptions in two of his past three seasons. Moore had an impressive 76.9 grade by PFF last season."

That should help Higgins be more a possession receiver.

and, throwing to McCaffrey and Hubbard - is a huge plus. I can see Baker making that work pretty nice.

If Baker starts at qb for the Panthers vs the Browns......... I can see Baker leading them to a win.

and, the haslams need to sell the browns. They are slimy like I never realized.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, D Bone said:

Man, now I can't wait for the season opener! My only fear is that Baker won't beat out Darnold in camp.🤣

Don’t fear that one.

the real issue may be HC vs Baker.  Rhule seems to have some thin skin.  I know Teddy B played well for Carolina but was critical of Rhule and that wasnt taken well by Rhule.   Baker ain’t no picnic and certainly speaks his mind. 

★ Baker Mayfield to Carolina ?  YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST,   naturally.  And on the 4th of July. ★

Remember this post ?

On 7/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, mjp28 said:

And how about this from Heavy.com.  July 03, 2022. ---->

The Cleveland Browns may have fewer suitors for Baker Mayfield than many have expected over the last several months.

While the Carolina Panthers remain in the driver’s seat to acquire Mayfield with the Seattle Seahawks riding shotgun, the Detroit Lions have remained a dark horse candidate to swoop in and make a last-minute deal for the quarterback.

The primary reason for that is John Dorsey, the one-time general manager in Cleveland and now a high-ranking member of the Lions’ front office. Detroit may also soon be in the market for a new signal caller, if the team isn’t already. The Lions traded Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams last season, receiving Jared Goff as part of the return. Stafford went on to win a championship in Southern California, while Goff’s arm was colder than the weather in Detroit where he led his teammates to a 3-10-1 record across 14 starts.  -------->  continued  --------->

On 7/5/2022 at 2:58 PM, hoorta said:

I hope you mjp- and everyone else- realizes that Heavy.com is nothing more than a rumor mill generating site.  :(  

• Upvote 1

Just now, mjp28 said:

★ Baker Mayfield to Carolina ?  YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST,   naturally.  And on the 4th of July. ★

Remember this post ?

On 7/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, mjp28 said:

And how about this from Heavy.com.  July 03, 2022. ---->

The Cleveland Browns may have fewer suitors for Baker Mayfield than many have expected over the last several months.

While the Carolina Panthers remain in the driver’s seat to acquire Mayfield with the Seattle Seahawks riding shotgun, the Detroit Lions have remained a dark horse candidate to swoop in and make a last-minute deal for the quarterback.

The primary reason for that is John Dorsey, the one-time general manager in Cleveland and now a high-ranking member of the Lions’ front office. Detroit may also soon be in the market for a new signal caller, if the team isn’t already. The Lions traded Matthew Stafford to the Los Angeles Rams last season, receiving Jared Goff as part of the return. Stafford went on to win a championship in Southern California, while Goff’s arm was colder than the weather in Detroit where he led his teammates to a 3-10-1 record across 14 starts.  -------->  continued  --------->

I hope you mjp- and everyone else- realizes that Heavy.com is nothing more than a rumor mill generating site.  :(  

They are critical of heavy but take a guy like Flip Flop Florio  as gospel…go figure 

• Haha 1

I guess Carolina was in the driver’s seat all along.

I think Mayfield will do a good job for them.  

31 minutes ago, Orion said:

No they didn't.  Don't listen to steeler fans.  An organization would never tell the player that they're planning on getting someone else in to take his job.  That would be dumb.  

The steelers did with mitch trubisky. Why do you think the dude is/was so mad? 

Why are people acting so surprised baker was finally traded.

I am glad he was traded and we got what looks like it will be a 4th rounder.  We didn't have any leverage earlier in this process, but the opening of camp became our leverage.  If teams want him for the opener, they needed to get him in before camp.  

If baker was a true franchise guy, we would have been able to get more.  

Baker was a decent QB.  The problem is the bar people were comparing him to included guys like Frye, Weeden, Wallace, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

This is an abbreviated version of Dutch's Browns Questions, and it has all of one question:

Baker Mayfield has 59 career starts in the NFL. How many career regular season starts will he have for the rest of his career?

Do you think his career as a starter is about done? Do you think he has a few more years as a starter until he becomes a career backup? Or do you think he has a long, fruitful career as a starter ahead of him? Just one question. I'll record the results and post the results, eventually. 

Note: Baker turned 27 three months ago. 

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Considering the competition where he's going, he has a good a chance to remain their starter. But then he will no longer have the Brown's OL protecting him so .................injury maybe?

After looking over his 2018-2021 statistics and his 29-30 career W/L record (not exactly outstanding)  I think he might have a few good seasons left.....barring future injuries. 

His best numbers and starts are behind him.  He had zero game winning drives in 2021, true he was fighting off injuries  but he would need a perfect system to even equal his Cleveland Browns career.  It would be less than that 59 decisions  maybe 55 ?

20 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Considering the competition where he's going, he has a good a chance to remain their starter. But then he will no longer have the Brown's OL protecting him so .................injury maybe?

So how many more career starts do you see in Baker? 

59 so far. 

1 hour ago, SdBacker80 said:

I think their weapons complement Baker well…Moore and Anderson can get deep and open on playaction targets. Higgins as we know is a security blanket and mcCaffery should be a great pass run option for 6-8 games. 

Their Line is actually - Meh…which is unfortunate for Baker who seems to need that extra second to process things. 

they did use their first round pick  at L.T

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

If baker was a true franchise guy, we would have been able to get more.  

Baker was a decent QB.  The problem is the bar people were comparing him to included guys like Frye, Weeden, Wallace, etc.

^ One more time, for those in the back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Panthers have a good front 7 and secondary.    They also have a good RB room provided Run CMC comes back healthy.    They invested resources into their oline this off season and their WR room - Higgins, DJ Moore and Robby Anderson are all good targets.

They play in a tough division.  "Garbage" is hardly the word I would use.

i read where baker had permission to talk to the hc and gm and was excitied about the move to carolina

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

And yes…they are dumb.

...pretty much this whole century.

Berry & Steph were stating that Baker was their guy and that they had the utmost faith in him....right up until...until Watson agreed to sign.  That's how ya do it.  Unless it's a nasty separation like Watson was going through with Houston.  

These things are supposed to be done behind the scenes.  Perhaps a deal is never reached.  Your starting QB (whoever he is) is not supposed to know.  He's your guy if you can't land anyone better.  - Baker and his agent knew stuff just by not getting a contract extension done.

• Upvote 1

It's fun that the people complaining the loudest about how this very special employee deserves something unique and magical from his employer.. are the ones asserting repeatedly that workers deserve nothing other than what their employer thinks they should be paid.

Double standards are the best kind of standards!

Ignoring all the reality, of course, that.. Baker got his 5th year extension guaranteed no less securely than DW's contract.

Let's take this debate to an unelected council of wizards who will collectively guess how Thomas Jefferson's ghost feels about this. 

I choose scotch!

It's not employer/employee...

Was Otto Graham and Paul Brown like that? You don't get the extra you need in this league with the Pilot Flying J cashier employee handbook. This is not a numbers game, it's a people's game and people matter. They are not robots and BM should have shown enough to warrant a long term contract for his sacrifice for the team. Watson will sit if he has a tummy ache... it's a given, he gets paid regardless. 

11 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Was Otto Graham and Paul Brown like that? You don't get the extra you need in this league with the Pilot Flying J cashier employee handbook. This is not a numbers game, it's a people's game and people matter. They are not robots and BM should have shown enough to warrant a long term contract for his sacrifice for the team. Watson will sit if he has a tummy ache... it's a given, he gets paid regardless. 

You sure you want to use Paul Brown as your example of how to treat your players?

It wasn't a secret that many of the Browns players who played under him hated his guts. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Was Otto Graham and Paul Brown like that? You don't get the extra you need in this league with the Pilot Flying J cashier employee handbook. This is not a numbers game, it's a people's game and people matter. 

You've gotta fast forward to the time we're in Po.  There isn't even any rivalries anymore.  (except in some fans - like us)  Many players shuffle from team to team first to make a ton of money, then to try and win a championship...or just chase more $$.  -  We have DePodesta...the analytics guy.  It's just not that league anymore.