THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

June 11, 2022  heavy.com  (who?)

The Cleveland Browns are still looking for a trade partner willing to take on quarterback Baker Mayfield and the Minnesota Vikings have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for the former top pick.

The Vikings have Kirk Cousins installed as their current starter but there’s a new regime in town in Minnesota and his play hasn’t exactly made him untouchable. Dan Graziano of ESPN mentioned the Vikings as a possible player in the Mayfield sweepstakes, although it’d be more of a long-term play for the NFC North squad.

They’re set this season with Kirk Cousins but could move on from him after the year. This is an example of a place where Mayfield or Garoppolo wouldn’t start right away but could position himself as the team’s starter in 2023, the way Winston did with the Saints in 2020. That could be possible elsewhere, including with the Buccaneers, Eagles, Cardinals, Titans and Raiders.

Cousins is coming off a year where he was named to the Pro Bowl as a replacement. He completed 66.3% of his passes last season for 4,221 yards and 33 touchdowns to only seven interceptions. The Vikings extended Cousins for an additional year this offseason. He will make $40 million this season and $30 million in 2023.

Still, there are consistent questions about Cousins being a difference-maker, with the 33-year-old holding a career record of 59-59-2.

Other off the radar teams mentioned by Graziano as potential landing spots for Mayfield included the Lions and Saints.

Baker Mayfield Has Shown Potential as Starting Quarterback

Mayfield is coming off a down season but he’s shown his a potential starter in the NFL. He helped lead the Browns to their first playoff victory in 18 years back in 2020, passing for 3,563 yards, 26 touchdowns and just eight interceptions.

However, last year Mayfield took a step back, which could be attributed to a few different things including injuries and internal turmoil. He tossed 17 touchdowns and 13 interceptions as the Browns stumbled to an 8-9 finish.

Mayfield’s play was ugly at times but the Oklahoma-product was playing through a torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder. He suffered the injury in Week 2 while attempting a tackle after an interception and wore a brace on his shoulder following the injury. He had surgery this offseason and is expected to be ready to roll for training camp.

What has prevented a Mayfield trade from happening is his fully guaranteed near $19 million salary for next season. The Browns hold little leverage in negotiations but are trying to take on as little of that as possible, although other teams around the league are not willing to help with that.

The closest the Browns got to a deal was with the Panthers during the draft. However, Carolina wanted the Browns to pay more than $13 million of Mayfield’s contract, according to The Charlotte Observer.

The Browns excused Mayfield from mandatory minicamp June 14-16, which means he’ll avoid some hefty fines. If he had sat out without the team’s consent, he would have owed $15,900 for Day 1, $31,961 for Day 2 and $47,936 for Day 3........more at heavy.com......

Digging for more..... ⚒️

“That was a decision made between our organization, Baker and Baker’s team. Felt like that was the best decision for both sides,” Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters during OTAs on June 8.

Meanwhile, the Browns are still waiting for a sense of clarity on what will happen with Watson, who is facing a likely suspension from the league. But even if Watson is suspended a significant amount of time, Mayfield will not be sticking around to hold down the starting spot.

“He’s done with them, and they’re done with him,” a source told Graziano. “That was true once he found out they were trying to trade for Deshaun.”

• mjp28 changed the title to Baker Mayfield trade talk thread...... CLE and SF ?   Who wins here ? .....How about CAR ?
On 6/12/2022 at 6:47 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

I'm not a bar guy at all,

A&M first team to make it to the CWS... Congrats! 

I was sorely tempted to become one in celebration.🍻🍻🤗

Ding/ding/ding! We have a Winner !  

Question..What could cancel a 4 friendly neighborhood poker card weekend?

Answer... When all 4 can literally walk blocks, into a 3 day bar hop, into numerous college campus bars to the Greenville,NC CWS regional at ECU... 

TV did no justice, to the football size team, that the loaded up Texas Longhorns  team walked in here with.. Still had a great weekend ! (back to this thing called a job🙄)

Like any Browns fan...I'm use to all my off-season teams losing;) just in time for some Mandatory 🏈 Camp week talk.... #LFG ! 

17 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I just hope this whole trade Baker Mayfield scenario has a “Happy Ending”.

Yes .... or at least not a crash landing.       :o

41 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

A couple things Bitonio said were very true about Mayfield,  Watson and quarterbacking in the NFL  .... without going out too far on the limb.

......“He’s a tough guy and he played his heart out for us and I’ll always respect that. He’s still a friend of mine. We text occasionally and I think like everybody else, he’s kind of waiting it out to see where he’s going, but Baker did a lot for this franchise. He won a lot of games, he was a great player for us and I’ll always be a friend.”..... 

..... “He’s always had that chip on his shoulder and I’m sure it’s continued to get bigger and bigger,’’ Bitonio said. “A team’s going to give him a chance. I know the contract situation is working itself out but he’ll get a chance to play. Quarterback is such a scarcity in the league that he’ll get a chance to play and perform again.’’ .....

...... Watson, who has 24 pending civil suits against him, is awaiting word from the NFL on a suspension. A league source said the Browns expect to hear something by the end of the month, and Bitonio confirmed an air of uncertainty over the team.

“[A suspension is] definitely a potential,’’ he said. “I can’t really control much with it, so I try not to worry about those things. And we’ll go into the season, I think we have really good quality backup quarterbacks that have played a lot of football in Jacoby [Brissett] and Josh [Dobbs]. It’s one of those things that it might happen, it might not, we don’t know. And we can’t truly worry about it, but if it does, I think we have the right character in the room to handle that adversity.’’

Bitonio, ever the optimist, believes this team can go the distance......
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, mjp28 said:

Baseball ?  I thought we weren't supposed to mention baseball here.

But point made.   :)

Baseball ?  What a BOS/CLE game going on, 5th inning 2-2.  That's my 2 cents there.

Now on Mayfield I guess someone writes a hot 🔥 story about every 5 days or so.   

Mayfield is fine where he's at right now.  His value will not change until we get into training camp and beyond.  Odds are someone will decide that they need to get him.  I'd probably keep ownership of him at least until the trading deadline.  It's a roster spot, I know...and they're valuable...but Baker represents a draft pick...and they're valuable too.

If Mayfield didn't try to play hero and make a shoulder tackle on a DB with a full head of steam off of an interception, we would not be talking about this. And the fact that he went on as long as he did with that injury.

• Upvote 1

I do not believe that Watson is a better QB than Baker. 

Just when I believed things were going well we had to go and try to fix what wasn't broken. 

QB was not the only problem last year. Chubb and Hunt both missed games and were hurt. Landry was hurt. OBJ and his daddy screwed us over...

On top of that Baker was injured. This reminds me of why Jim Brown left before his time. This reminds me why Kosar got a ring AFTER he left. I really believe that the Cleveland Media revel in the Browns losing or being bad. As soon as we climb out of the basement they chase off the #4 all time best QB that we've ever had for a headcase that is D. Watson. 

I'll never understand.

Baker should get this season to finish what he started. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Neo said:

If Mayfield didn't try to play hero and make a shoulder tackle on a DB with a full head of steam off of an interception, we would not be talking about this. And the fact that he went on as long as he did with that injury.

True.   A quarterback macho move.

6 hours ago, Neo said:

So the Browns are wrong about cutting ties to a QB who made two really bad decisions? Ok, got it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Fortunately, Watson being a better on-field player doesn't require your belief.  

I have to agree,  DW is a top 5 QB.....on the playing field.   His decision making elsewhere is kind of " questionable "..    :huh:

6 hours ago, Neo said:

I get what you are saying, but I don't know if I totally believe it. 

You would have thought the Browns would have offered Baker a contract extension after his 2020 season, but I really get the impression that this front office and coaching staff always had one eye looking for an upgrade. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

So the Browns are wrong about cutting ties to a QB who made two really bad decisions? Ok, got it.

We've seen Baker Mayfield at his best, worst and playing injured the FO has determined that the BROWNS needed a true franchise quarterback if/when one ever became available regardless of the cost to move to the next level. 

And now we're here one big swing and a miss from that perfect play.   How long until the stench wears off and maybe we find out how good of a quarterback DW can be....if that's possible. 

Or every time he steps on the field wearing a BROWNS uniform he still will be "that guy" no matter what. 

And we'll miss Bernie,  Brian,  Otto, Frank, Bill and even some of the other quarterbacks that also wore a BROWNS uniform.   Character matters especially at quarterback more than any other position in team sports. 

4 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

For someone like yourself who follows my posting and play/film breakdowns, you should know the Browns FO didn't base their decision on ONLY two really bad decisions.

I gave examples of Bakers lack of growth dating back to the KC & HOU game...  before his shoulder injury.

50 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I gave examples of Bakers lack of growth dating back

Even if that's true, things may have turned out very differently if Baker didn't play all but one game of the 2021 season injured. It could have made all the difference in Baker's value and the Haslam's desperation move for Watson. A healthy Baker and playoff berth and we wouldn't talking about Baker wanting out of Cleveland. That's just my opinion.

58 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

For someone like yourself who follows my posting and play/film breakdowns, you should know the Browns FO didn't base their decision on ONLY two really bad decisions.

I gave examples of Bakers lack of growth dating back to the KC & HOU game...  before his shoulder injury.

I was being facetious. And yes, I did follow all that and understood exactly what you were saying. I don't disagree with any of it.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I was being facetious. And yes, I did follow all that and understood exactly what you were saying. I don't disagree with any of it.

My bad.  I need that sarcasm font, big dog.  

1 hour ago, Neo said:

Even if that's true, things may have turned out very differently if Baker didn't play all but one game of the 2021 season injured. It could have made all the difference in Baker's value and the Haslam's desperation move for Watson. A healthy Baker and playoff berth and we wouldn't talking about Baker wanting out of Cleveland. That's just my opinion.

It's possible you're not wrong.  Maybe a healthy shoulder bails out a few of his more disastrous throws based on 50/50 alone.  But you still have to contend with the post snap decision making at the end of the day. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

As the seasons went on I found myself having less and less confidence that Baker could take us down the field for the game winning score when needed.  I watched Stef try and nurse leads throughout second halves.  

And as Dutch has pointed out many times, the FO never tried to get him signed to an extension.  And that decision was made prior to his injury this past season.  They'd already figured out that they didn't have their Championship caliber QB in place.

12 minutes ago, Orion said:

As the seasons went on I found myself having less and less confidence that Baker could take us down the field for the game winning score when needed.  I watched Stef try and nurse leads throughout second halves.  

And as Dutch has pointed out many times, the FO never tried to get him signed to an extension.  And that decision was made prior to his injury this past season.  They'd already figured out that they didn't have their Championship caliber QB in place.

This whole BM and DW thing has been a slowly unfolding story with a bit of an unpredictable ending.

How will the Cleveland BROWNS football team end up when it's over   -and-   of course the long loyal fan base.   We deserve a decent team to hit the field in September 2022.

GO BROWNS  !