THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

So how many more career starts do you see in Baker? 

59 so far. 

Uninjured I suspect he starts all games this year. But that's the catch. He' better'n who they have on the roster.

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Uninjured I suspect he starts all games this year. But that's the catch. He' better'n who they have on the roster.

Um...

Baker Mayfield has started 59 games in his career.

How many more games do you think he will start in the rest of his career? 

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

You've gotta fast forward to the time we're in Po.  There isn't even any rivalries anymore.  (except in some fans - like us)  Many players shuffle from team to team first to make a ton of money, then to try and win a championship...or just chase more $$.  -  We have DePodesta...the analytics guy.  It's just not that league anymore.  

True.  It's hard to compare eras or decades or even what have you done lately conferences or divisions . Even players don't have loyalties beyond their current contracts. 

I've always believed that the true "Golden Years" of football was back in the 1960s and 1970s with the emergence of Pete Rozelle and the TV contracts,  Monday Night Football  and growth of  "The Shield ",   the growth of  NFL Inc.   It has done OK in the few decades since then but has changed a lot after the 2000s to the present day.

I think that the NFL is aware of the current situation with concussions,  CTE, an aging and declining viewership and is addressing them.  e younger age groups were having different interests and other issues and has addressed them   -but-  I believe they have lost a grip on the salaries and costs of running the teams.  

Way back players had some loyalty to their teams now it's agents and contracts.  "Shoe me the money" not team spirit and loyalty any more. Talk to my agent. 

Let's hope that all sides in this professional football we like can keep it rolling. 

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

And through the draft, FAs or trades does the better young gun come along and Baker Mayfield becomes that veteran backup......I think this will become his path.  He's not a franchise quarterback,  never really was.  Good yes but......

And 2½ years x 17 starts = about 42½ starts then no real guarantees going forward.   My guess is about 55 +/-  additional starts.

Besides he was a very well off 23 year old #1 overall pick NFL player with a few years of commercial work for a few extra millions here and there.  He should be well off. Go check ✔️ it out.

Only one thing the drive for a ring or whatever goals he has left will keep him around.    ;)

Well it's nice to have someone else as the BROWNS football lead story. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

He could go on to be a rent-a-starter.  But I don't see him lasting like Josh McCown......mainly because I don't think his ego will let him be a backup.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

And the other numbers from spotrac.....

Current Contract

Baker Mayfield signed a 4 year, $32,682,980 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $21,849,440 signing bonus, $32,682,980 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,170,745. In 2022, Mayfield will earn a base salary of $4,858,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,858,000 and a dead cap value of $5,000,000. 

7 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

194449F3-B1A8-4976-B15B-80E36105DE44.png

Nothing but love for Baker Mayfield. Cleveland loves ya baby. Hopefully you can Lebron for us after you win one for Ole Carolina. I'll miss ya homie :( 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Baker will be just like Drew Breezy. He will win at least 3 Superbowls. It won't be for us though... maybe his third will be, eh; I can dream. 

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Um...

Baker Mayfield has started 59 games in his career.

How many more games do you think he will start in the rest of his career? 

Karnak say he not very good seer of fortune today. Ran out of Browns Tea leaves.🙈

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mjp28 said:

True.  It's hard to compare eras or decades or even what have you done lately conferences or divisions . Even players don't have loyalties beyond their current contracts. 

I've always believed that the true "Golden Years" of football was back in the 1960s and 1970s with the emergence of Pete Rozelle and the TV contracts,  Monday Night Football  and growth of  "The Shield ",   the growth of  NFL Inc.   It has done OK in the few decades since then but has changed a lot after the 2000s to the present day.

I think that the NFL is aware of the current situation with concussions,  CTE, an aging and declining viewership and is addressing them.  e younger age groups were having different interests and other issues and has addressed them   -but-  I believe they have lost a grip on the salaries and costs of running the teams.  

Way back players had some loyalty to their teams now it's agents and contracts.  "Shoe me the money" not team spirit and loyalty any more. Talk to my agent. 

Let's hope that all sides in this professional football we like can keep it rolling. 

Actually I think we have several players on this team who are throwbacks that wanted to stay Browns and could have gotten more $$ elsewhere.

8 hours ago, PoeticG said:

It's not employer/employee...

Was Otto Graham and Paul Brown like that? You don't get the extra you need in this league with the Pilot Flying J cashier employee handbook. This is not a numbers game, it's a people's game and people matter. They are not robots and BM should have shown enough to warrant a long term contract for his sacrifice for the team. Watson will sit if he has a tummy ache... it's a given, he gets paid regardless. 

I don't know?  I was just a young kid when Otto played.  Tell me how it was since you know.

I think this season will define how good/bad Baker really is.

If he has a good season (barring injury), I can see a contract being offered by Carolina or other team(s).

He could start another 4 or 5 years, which could be 68-85 games.

If he has a mediocre season, I can see him being relegated to a backup position somewhere.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Baker will be just like Drew Breezy. He will win at least 3 Superbowls. It won't be for us though... maybe his third will be, eh; I can dream. 

Dream on.  He may go to 3 super bowls (**buy a nice loge ticket) he's a wealthy relatively young man.  Or maybe he'll just blow his money on pitiful stylish clothes as he does now.

Baker is not a franchise quarterback  or  "the answer"  or. some other team savior  he's just a good quarterback probably near the peak of his career. I do not think that he will see 40 as a quarterback unless it's a clipboard holding highly paid backup calling plays into his young 20-something starting quarterback 

Win 3 super bowls dream on.  He's more the "Bahamas Baker" type yeah that's him and his "Bahamas Babe" wife. At 33 years old and getting beat up on Sundays in the fall?  Nah Bahamas Baker is having a cool one with Korsou Dawg on the beach.....man.   :lol:

• Haha 2

From CBS Sports ...... July 7, 2022.....

Happy Thursday, everyone! Hope you're well.     Let's get right to it.

This is the article version of the CBS Sports HQ AM morning newsletter. To sign up and get this in your inbox, fill out the information below.

Good morning to everyone but especially to...

BAKER MAYFIELD AND THE CAROLINA PANTHERS

The quarterback carousel has taken another big spin in what's been a wild NFL offseason: Baker Mayfield is headed to the Panthers. Here are the details:

• The Panthers will send theBrowns a conditional fifth-round pick (could turn into a fourth-round pick based on Mayfield's playing time).
  • Cleveland will pay $10.5 million of Mayfield's $18.85-million salary this season; Carolina will pick up $4.85 million, and Mayfield converted the rest to incentives, which helped facilitate the trade.
  • Should Mayfield be named starter, his first game as a Panther will be against ... the Browns in Week 1.

Mayfield requested a trade way back in mid-March as the Browns pursued (and eventually acquired)Deshaun WatsonThis is a huge win for Mayfield. Not only was his trade request finally granted, but he's going to a team where he should start immediately.

• His primary competition isSam Darnold, who was one of the worst quarterbacks by basically every metric last year. Third-round rookieMatt Corral and former XFL standout PJ Walker are also on the roster.
  • Since Matt Rhule took over as head coach in 2020, the Panthers have thrown the fewest touchdowns and the most interceptions.

Last year, Mayfield struggled while playing through a significant shoulder injury. But one year prior, he threw 26 touchdowns to just eight interceptions and led Cleveland to the playoffs for the first time since 2002. Now, he joins a Panthers team that featuresChristian McCaffrey,DJ Moore and an improved offensive line. All told, the Panthers earn a strong "A-" grade from our NFL expert Cody Benjamin:.......

• mjp28 changed the title to ★ Baker Mayfield to Carolina ?   And on the 4th of July. ★ JULY 7 UPDATES and MORE NUMBERS,   naturally.
7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Actually we heard it first from Woody. Just saying..

WSS

This was for hoorta telling us about Heavy.com and their rumor mill stuff.  They did put this up on July 4.

I think Woody broke it here on July 6.  

From CBS Sports......... continued. 

• Benjamin:"Worst-case scenario, Mayfield flops and proves no better than his immediate surroundings, and the Panthers let him walk in 2023, proceeding with the QB reset (and potential regime reset) they were destined for anyway. Best-case scenario, Baker brings some much-needed juice to their QB room, actually capitalizes on some of the talent around him, and the Panthers get a head start on locking up a potential long-term starter without having to spend excess draft capital to start over."

Honorable mentions

Previewing tonight's NHL Draft 🏒...... if you're interested......continued on CBS Sports  7/7/22.

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Are you serious? 

I mean, you are coming up with some doozy takes today. 

I am serious. Trubisky said himself the org let him know. Baker is/was pissed for a reason. Period. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Vagitron said:

I am serious. Trubisky said himself the org let him know. Baker is/was pissed for a reason. Period. 

What does it matter?  Bakers performance opened the door for the possibility that the organization would move on.  Did he feel entitled to have his spot back?  Would he felt better if we said we are looking elsewhere right before Watson was called?  What difference would that make- it appears he couldn’t call his shot to any team anyway. 

Baker certainly didn’t do us any favors in our first matchup with the Steelers.  Would the Steelers accept that kind of performance from one of their own? 

Bakers requests and demands appear to be a misguided temper tantrum