THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well there is where you are wrong. Obviously he is not as good as he thinks he is and no one wants to pay him to come prove differently.

See below...  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

I suppose I could give you 19 million reasons.

Tia, it can't be just Baker's guaranteed money...  You've posted plenty of screen shots with the circles and arrows.  If you're seeing Mayfield's deficiencies, I will bet the ranch every defensive coordinator in the NFL has seen all of it- and more.  $18 million is bargain basement for a mid level starting QB this year... So teams must think he's not even worth that. Sprinkle in coming off an injury and a lousy 2021 season. With the draft come and gone, I have the feeling teams are going to wait until the Browns are forced to flat out release him... Or we get lucky (and another team gets real unlucky) with a starting QB getting hurt in OTAs or mini camp.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

See below...  

Tia, it can't be just Baker's guaranteed money...  You've posted plenty of screen shots with the circles and arrows.  If you're seeing Mayfield's deficiencies, I will bet the ranch every defensive coordinator in the NFL has seen all of it- and more.  $18 million is bargain basement for a mid level starting QB this year... So teams must think he's not even worth that. Sprinkle in coming off an injury and a lousy 2021 season. With the draft come and gone, I have the feeling teams are going to wait until the Browns are forced to flat out release him... Or we get lucky (and another team gets real unlucky) with a starting QB getting hurt in OTAs or mini camp.  

Exactly. Baker's contract is guaranteed, so I'm assuming if we cut him today the cap hit would be the same if we cut him in September? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. So at this point, we have nothing to lose by holding onto to him. If Seattle wants us to eat $18 million and they only pick up $1 million, then F that. Like you said, we should hold onto Baker through pre-season and I say even through the beginning of the regular season (not with the team of course). Then hope someone's starting QB blows out an ACL. But yeah, this is not a good situation - it would have been ideal to dump him now, but nobody wants to coach or play with a moody, immature man-child.

Seattle's dumb if they think Drew Lock is going to keep them competitive - he couldn't beat out Teddy Twatwater for the starting job in Denver. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/2/2022 at 11:59 AM, ATOM said:

does baker lose out on any money if he doesnt show up for mandatory mini camp ?  also if he is on the roster do you really think he would play a snap in the pre season ?

Sure... It's called showcasing. ;) We can only hope...

Thinking there are two mini's... one mandatory one not.

21 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well there is where you are wrong. Obviously he is not as good as he thinks he is and no one wants to pay him to come prove differently.

You are talking about Baker here? 

Just checking... ;) 

Hard to imagine two more disperate routes to the QB dust bin.

Only common thread, I see... under 6' tall.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

You are talking about Baker here? 

Just checking... ;) 

Hard to imagine two more disperate routes to the QB dust bin.

Only common thread, I see... under 6' tall.

Yep, one at least got a shot at Vegas as Billy. He just arrived way before the team did there.🤣

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep, one at least got a shot at Vegas as Billy. He just arrived way before the team did there.🤣

Baker does have one thing going for him. Unlike Johnny, there's no photos of him swilling a 1.75 of Don Julio straight at 7AM.  :)  

13 hours ago, hoorta said:

Baker does have one thing going for him. Unlike Johnny, there's no photos of him swilling a 1.75 of Don Julio straight at 7AM.  :)  

Or swan diving... :) I'd almost forgotten that one... ;) 

I wonder if now Berea is going to keep Baker for the initial games this season while Watson is suspended..  if we're going to pay him, might as well play him.

But perhaps NFL is going to "Hold" the decision on Watson, not that there's anything more to learn of course.  And why?  Look no further than the NFL's Categorical Imperative - had Kant placed "Suck it, Cleveland" as the highest moral precept.

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I wonder if now Berea is going to keep Baker for the initial games this season while Watson is suspended..  if we're going to pay him, might as well play him.

But perhaps NFL is going to "Hold" the decision on Watson, not that there's anything more to learn of course.  And why?  Look no further than the NFL's Categorical Imperative - had Kant placed "Suck it, Cleveland" as the highest moral precept.

I've said it before, but at this point, keep him on the roster all season (unless someone offers to trade for him because their starter went down) and collect the comp pick when he bolts for free agency. Might as well get something for him, and if he refuses to report, you won't have to pay him. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

is he going to be suspended this year ? i don't know but before the draft without any new signings vegas went from +2000 to +1400 to go to the super bowl so maybe they know something we do not

2 hours ago, syd said:

is he going to be suspended this year ? i don't know but before the draft without any new signings vegas went from +2000 to +1400 to go to the super bowl so maybe they know something we do not

And the lines move based upon the facts out there,  players are a key item.

17 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

That's certainly a dilemma. Rock / hard place. Start him for six or eight games but they can't really afford to have him look good except for trade value.

OTOH I think the league would prefer to hold off the suspension for one season because by then most of the outrage will have blown over, and the attorneys will have moved on.

WSS

Official date of Mandatory Camp announced... Mandatory Minicamp: June 14*-16 

* this is the date Baker would be mandated to come to work or be subject to fines.. 

Mandatory team activity for Mayfield and the Browns is in mid-June when the team holds a three-day minicamp. This is the last organized team activity before the summer break begins. Though it is mandatory for all players and punishable by fines, there is plenty of precedent of teams excusing players who do not wish to attend for contractual or trade request reasons.(injury) The Browns could certainly excuse Mayfield to give themselves more time to arrange a trade.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/browns-mayfield-post-draft-187104971/#187104971_1

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Official date of Mandatory Camp announced... Mandatory Minicamp: June 14*-16 

* this is the date Baker would be mandated to come to work or be subject to fines.. 

Mandatory team activity for Mayfield and the Browns is in mid-June when the team holds a three-day minicamp. This is the last organized team activity before the summer break begins. Though it is mandatory for all players and punishable by fines, there is plenty of precedent of teams excusing players who do not wish to attend for contractual or trade request reasons.(injury) The Browns could certainly excuse Mayfield to give themselves more time to arrange a trade.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/browns-mayfield-post-draft-187104971/#187104971_1

He won''t show.. He's stubborn like myself.. He'll just say "Fuck you"

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, nickers said:

He won''t show.. He's stubborn like myself.. He'll just say "Fuck you"

Double down on.. other... He'll be excused for trade request reason's...(can the shoulder even pass a NFL physical, to trade at this point?)

• Upvote 2

Because Mayfield is on his rookie deal, likely no contract implications for sitting out minicamp

One detail that hasn't been mentioned: If Mayfield reports and walks out, Browns could place him on the "reserve/left squad" list which freezes his contract for the year and prevents Baker Mayfield from playing NFL football anywhere in 2022 -- no cash goes to him, next season would be considered the 5th of his rookie deal, we repeat the same showdown next offseason

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Because Mayfield is on his rookie deal, likely no contract implications for sitting out minicamp

One detail that hasn't been mentioned: If Mayfield reports and walks out, Browns could place him on the "reserve/left squad" list which freezes his contract for the year and prevents Baker Mayfield from playing NFL football anywhere in 2022 -- no cash goes to him, next season would be considered the 5th of his rookie deal, we repeat the same showdown next offseason

My advice? Bite your tongue take the money.

WSS

8 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

My advice? Bite your tongue take the money.

WSS

Probably a good course of action. 

Another thing we are talking about a very wealthy 27 year old both on the field and (probably) millions more in his off the field deals which makes him in position to do whatever he wants to do whenever he wants to do it.

Fun isn't it to pretend if I signed a $32.6M guaranteed contract when you were just 23 year old kid what then ?

What do you think he will do ?  What would you do if you were in his spot ?  The small print :      :huh:

Current Contract

Baker Mayfield signed a 4 year, $32,682,980 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $21,849,440 signing bonus, $32,682,980 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,170,745. In 2022, Mayfield will earn a base salary of $18,858,000, while carrying a cap hit of $18,858,000 and a dead cap value of $18,858,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $32,682,980 SIGNING BONUS$21,849,440 AVERAGE SALARY$8,170,745 GTD AT SIGN:$32,682,980 TOTAL GTD:$32,682,980 FREE AGENT:2023 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH
2018   23 $480,000 $5,462,360 - $5,942,360 $32,682,980 $22,329,440($22,329,440)  
2019   24 $570,000 $5,462,360 $1,395,590 $7,427,950 $26,740,620 $1,996,971($24,326,411)  
2020   25 $750,000 $5,462,360 $2,791,180 $9,003,540 $19,312,670 $3,615,494($27,941,905)  
2021   26 $920,000 $5,462,360 $4,186,770 $10,569,130  $29,257,130 $5,106,770($33,048,675)  
2022   27 $18,858,000 - - $18,858,000 $18,858,000 $18,858,000($51,906,675)
2023   28 UFA  
Contract Notes:
  • Fully Guaranteed
  • Includes Offset Language
  • 5th-year option available (exercised)
  • Roster Bonuses due at the start of training camp

10 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

In a perfect world for the Browns, if they kept him, he'd refuse to report, the Browns would then not have to pay him, freeing up $19 mill, and he'd still become a free agent after the season ended, giving the Browns a comp pick for him leaving. I'm guessing that can't happen, though?

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Probably a good course of action. 

Another thing we are talking about a very wealthy 27 year old both on the field and (probably) millions more in his off the field deals which makes him in position to do whatever he wants to do whenever he wants to do it.

Fun isn't it to pretend if I signed a $32.6M guaranteed contract when you were just 23 year old kid what then ?

What do you think he will do ?  What would you do if you were in his spot ?  The small print :      :huh:

Current Contract

Baker Mayfield signed a 4 year, $32,682,980 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including a $21,849,440 signing bonus, $32,682,980 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,170,745. In 2022, Mayfield will earn a base salary of $18,858,000, while carrying a cap hit of $18,858,000 and a dead cap value of $18,858,000.

CONTRACT TERMS:4 yr(s) / $32,682,980 SIGNING BONUS$21,849,440 AVERAGE SALARY$8,170,745 GTD AT SIGN:$32,682,980 TOTAL GTD:$32,682,980 FREE AGENT:2023 / UFA
  BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING ROSTER CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH
2018   23 $480,000 $5,462,360 - $5,942,360 $32,682,980 $22,329,440($22,329,440)  
2019   24 $570,000 $5,462,360 $1,395,590 $7,427,950 $26,740,620 $1,996,971($24,326,411)  
2020   25 $750,000 $5,462,360 $2,791,180 $9,003,540 $19,312,670 $3,615,494($27,941,905)  
2021   26 $920,000 $5,462,360 $4,186,770 $10,569,130  $29,257,130 $5,106,770($33,048,675)  
2022   27 $18,858,000 - - $18,858,000 $18,858,000 $18,858,000($51,906,675)
2023   28 UFA  
Contract Notes:
  • Fully Guaranteed
  • Includes Offset Language
  • 5th-year option available (exercised)
  • Roster Bonuses due at the start of training camp

10 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

In a perfect world for the Browns, if they kept him, he'd refuse to report, the Browns would then not have to pay him, freeing up $19 mill, and he'd still become a free agent after the season ended, giving the Browns a comp pick for him leaving. I'm guessing that can't happen, though?

What he will do and what he should do are two completely different things. I know how well I had my shit together when I was 23. (Just for the record the answer is not very)

What he should do is STFU pretend he's a good soldier and willing to hold a clipboard for the future Hall of Famer Jacoby Briskett. Collect  19 million  bucks. 

But many of us remember the intoxicating power of the arrogance of Youth so who knows?

As for a perfect world?

Haha (besides me winning an Oscar for best original song and attending the academy awards ceremony with my new girlfriend Jennifer Aniston) Watson gets at 8 game suspension Mayfield starts and goes 8 and O while the Seacocks go 0 and 8 and Seattle eats the entire contract and coughs up some draft picks.

👼

WSS 

• Upvote 3

I was surprised that a majority of Steelers fans actually wanted him; not that he's bad; I like him but I never thought that he was a fit for PIT. Now that the draft is over and we got 4 QB's he is the furthest thing from our minds.

I'm really disappointed in how things played out with CLE picking up his 5th year option, then paying too much for a serial sex offender QB. Yes, Jimmy said that he wants CLE to be just like PIT but having a serial sex offender QB is not the best way to copy the Steelers.  See, we didn't know that Ben was a rapist before we got him, and if we had known that, then we wouldn't have gotten him.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dick Mellon said:

I was surprised that a majority of Steelers fans actually wanted him; not that he's bad; I like him but I never thought that he was a fit for PIT. Now that the draft is over and we got 4 QB's he is the furthest thing from our minds.

I'm really disappointed in how things played out with CLE picking up his 5th year option, then paying too much for a serial sex offender QB. Yes, Jimmy said that he wants CLE to be just like PIT but having a serial sex offender QB is not the best way to copy the Steelers.  See, we didn't know that Ben was a rapist before we got him, and if we had known that, then we wouldn't have gotten him.

Pitts style has always been tall, drop back classic passer with the one exception being Queerdell Stewart... Pitt always plays great defense.. Run the Ball and throw when you want to.. not need to...

22 hours ago, Dick Mellon said:

And we would be where we at now while Ben is moonwalking into the HOF. People are just gonna have to eat a reality bullet....you're gonna have a player(s) with horrible issues on every winning squad. They maynot come to light but it is what it is. ex. You really think Belicheck and NE didn't know Hernandez was a murdering psychopath? As detailed oriented that organization is?? But you always hear the "Patriot Way"....right? I'm at a point...if the court of law clears you...that's it..game on.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:00 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I think you guess right.  Baker might or might not be stupid but I am pretty sure his agent isn't.  No way he doesn't report if required.

• 4 weeks later...

QB School reviews Manziel as a freshman at TA&M vs Alabama

For those of you who won't watch it.. Manziel was a one-and-run even in his Heisman year, and he left points on the board multiple times with poor accuracy to wide-open WR's who had to dive/stop to make the catch.  Even his "highlight" sandlot plays contained problems of his own making -- he butt-fumbled to himself because he ran into his own OL while leaving the pocket too early.