THE BROWNS BOARD

Baker to Carolina

ATOM

2 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Did it snow in Cleveland yesterday?  ❄️

Look who’s in Cleveland today, Mr. John Dorsey, says he has a meeting.

Calling it now #BAKERMAYFIELD to the Detroit Lions. #Browns #NFL #Lions #Trade #Breaking

FOzFTw1XIAoaQXt.jpg.7713031887478aecb8b835e7c6fbddca.jpg

I still wish Dorsey was still here... I'm not a fan of Berry or Shitpantski...

March 27, 2022 @ 4:26pm » Daniel Bates

Ex-Browns Star Shares Baker Mayfield Details: NFL World Reacts

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/ex-browns-star-shares-baker-mayfield-details-nfl-world-reacts

Former Browns left tackle Joe Thomas thinks Baker Mayfield might’ve found himself on the outside looking in, in Cleveland by overplaying his hand.

Speaking on. his “The Thom & Hawk Football Show,” the 10-time Pro Bowler laid out where thought Baker went wrong.

“Baker said ‘I’m not playing for you guys anymore, I’m not coming back,'” Thomas explained. “Which the interesting thing is that to me, it seemed like Baker overplayed his hand a little bit… At that moment, the Browns were out of the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes.”

“And it seemed by all accounts that they were ready to do what it took to smooth things over with Baker,” the all-decade lineman continued. “… Because they offered him a $30 million contract last season. He said, ‘No, I’m going to continue to play under this contract I think I’m worth more.”

Thomas went on to lay out how Mayfield had the team backed into a corner and could’ve pushed for a further commitment from Cleveland’s front office.

NFL fans reacted to Thomas’ commentary on Twitter.

“Big Yikes,” replied one user

Joe destroys so many narratives here, but Browns fans will continue to think they know more than people like Joe and MKC,” commented one fan.

Joe casually dropping in that Browns had a contract offer last year to Mayfield for $30M a year,” said another.

“Baker bros not gonna like this. Him turning down $30 m a year just to have that szn is hilarious,” laughed another user.

Thomas says that Baker was offered a sizable deal from the Browns but turned it down, leaving many to wonder if he’ll regret that decision in the years to come.

Sounds like what Terrelle Pryor did.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Former Cleveland Browns offensive lineman Joe Thomas said on his podcast with Andrew Hawkins earlier this week that Baker Mayfield turned down a long-term contract extension with the franchise worth $30 million per year in 2021. 

Citing a league source, Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com said that report is "100 percent false" and "totally erroneous."

shockingly, the full article is locked at clev.com    RLUyfJnogtXK44pm9t.gif     

• Upvote 1

On 3/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, ATOM said:

what would a team give up for him  if anything ? to take on his 18 million that is fully guaranteed (yes i know that is cheap if a team plans on starting him) so a trade would be perfect for us as there would not be any dead money

options are we could pay him a lump sum signing bonus to lower the cap hit or go the Brock Osweiller route and kick in a draft pick just to get his money off the books

What to do with Baker  ?

After considerable thought and reading on the matter,  hmmmmm,   maybe he could do dorky insurance commercials during every freaking break on BROWNS games......no we tried that. 

Keep him as a backup quarterback......no it appears that all of the BROWNS QB positions are currently filled. 

Trade him in some big blockbuster deal....... :lol: 

Trade him to Blockbuster video........oh they're closed.     I'm running out of good ideas.  What could possibly be left ?  

I got it...... work out a cash deal with NFL Inc. they have tons of cash,  Mayfield for an undisclosed amount of cash to be Godell's right hand man for contract negotiations he's done that ! 

Well if all else fails he can be the highest paid janitor in the  country cleaning up the stadium after games.   

SO just how did the BROWNS get into this mess in the first place ?    (I'm sure some of you know the answer here,)

I just love Charlie Weiss.

He spent a good portion of the season doubting Baker.  Now he’s upset by the Browns decision to give all of this guaranteed money to another QB and he spent five minutes explaining how the Browns really made no friends in the league making this move. 

I thought the goal was to find a QB?

and not give a rats @$$ if the Ravens or Bengals will now owe a ton of guaranteed money to their QBs?  A point brought up by his guest that the Browns have no crippled the Ravens and Bengals when it comes to paying their QBs (reset of the market) shrewd and wise? Perhaps 

10 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I just love Charlie Weiss.

Jabba the Weiss can shut it with that "decided schematic advantage" of his.  Haven't been able to stand that man since before the Fiesta Bowl prep when tOSU slapped him and Brady Quinn around.  

Coach flat out disrespected (and I don't use that term lightly) the Buckeyes defensive coaching staff and players.  The only crime from that game was the Bucks special teams play. Otherwise it would have been a 3 TD loss for the Irish.

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Jabba the Weiss can shut it with that "decided schematic advantage" of his.  Haven't been able to stand that man since before the Fiesta Bowl prep when tOSU slapped him and Brady Quinn around.  

Coach flat out disrespected (and I don't use that term lightly) the Buckeyes defensive coaching staff and players.  The only crime from that game was the Bucks special teams play. Otherwise it would have been a 3 TD loss for the Irish.

Absolutely that one ranks toward the top.

Clemson Sugar Bowl win.  Alabama Sugar Bowl win.  That game probably third just because of Unwise old Jabba and the Irish.  Got to hand it to him…He parlayed that great ND career into a job at Kansas. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, mjp28 said:

What to do with Baker  ?

After considerable thought and reading on the matter,  hmmmmm,   maybe he could do dorky insurance commercials during every freaking break on BROWNS games......no we tried that. 

Keep him as a backup quarterback......no it appears that all of the BROWNS QB positions are currently filled. 

Trade him in some big blockbuster deal....... :lol: 

Trade him to Blockbuster video........oh they're closed.     I'm running out of good ideas.  What could possibly be left ?  

I got it...... work out a cash deal with NFL Inc. they have tons of cash,  Mayfield for an undisclosed amount of cash to be Godell's right hand man for contract negotiations he's done that ! 

Well if all else fails he can be the highest paid janitor in the  country cleaning up the stadium after games.   

SO just how did the BROWNS get into this mess in the first place ?    (I'm sure some of you know the answer here,)

sup man but you are wrong about on thing there is one  blockbuster left it is somewhere on the oregon coast

17 hours ago, ATOM said:

sup man but you are wrong about on thing there is one  blockbuster left it is somewhere on the oregon coast

Yeah I did see that on our news, kind of a video store holdout in a downloading and streaming world.   

VHS rentals were a big deal way back when,  getting on waiting lists for hot movies to come back in.   There was a small video store across the street from my office and I'd walk over there and get movies to take home and watch. 

Maybe Baker can get a job at that Blockbuster ?   Or just buy it outright,  he does still have piles of cash......in fact he doesn't really have to do anything if he so desires. 

Baker Mayfield in the booth ?  Or maybe Baker in the Bahamas  ?

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah I did see that on our news, kind of a video store holdout in a downloading and streaming world.   

VHS rentals were a big deal way back when,  getting on waiting lists for hot movies to come back in.   There was a small video store across the street from my office and I'd walk over there and get movies to take home and watch. 

Maybe Baker can get a job at that Blockbuster ?   Or just buy it outright,  he does still have piles of cash......in fact he doesn't really have to do anything if he so desires. 

Baker Mayfield in the booth ?  Or maybe Baker in the Bahamas  ?

Baker for President?... Scratch that!

3 minutes ago, nickers said:

Baker for President?... Scratch that!

He might carry Oklahoma.....maybe. 

• Upvote 1

A possible Baker draft day trade with Carolina(137)/Atlanta(114)/Seattle(109) might gain us back another 4th ? 

pending names on board? and if we have to eat some of Baker's cap? We might not mind, asking about flipping up to their pick in a higher round say in round 2 or 3 ? 

11005932.thumb.jpg.59df2f488be6cb79403c327cd53349a2.jpg

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

A possible Baker draft day trade with Carolina(137)/Atlanta(114)/Seattle(109) might gain us back another 4th ? 

pending names on board? and if we have to eat some of Baker's cap? We might not mind, asking about flipping up to their pick in a higher round say in round 2 or 3 ? 

11005932.thumb.jpg.59df2f488be6cb79403c327cd53349a2.jpg

Not rich enough for me.  

We will get leverage eventually it may take some time and let’s get a 2023 pick or picks when we really need to start adding cheap affordable pieces. 

We are all trying to race into a decision where we don’t need to…we don’t need to do Baker any favors by placing him on another roster right away.  

a team will miss out on a QB in the draft…a starter will go down in camp…a HC will be placed on a hot seat or notice that they have to win games forcing the HC to make a move for this season. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/20/2022 at 7:37 AM, SdBacker80 said:

Keenum was too expensive. And Brissett is probably a better option too. 

Yup and given the apparent, to me, direction we are shifting our O, to his potential fit is better.

Will he work out? IFFY to be sure as a starter, but are there any SB MVP level QBs on the market? Evan were there there's always that cap thang. With Adams now gone Aarons' remaining interest in staying in GB has to have been obliterated. Of course, he shat in his own punchbowl in 2021 so no telling what interest lies in him.

Problem I see is we seem to have fallen into a one player away approach and I do not get that. I see seasons of shoring up before that point is reached. And the draft capital we've spent only increased the difficulty.

As for Baker... Could be a draft Day, trade piece, but feels like we are rapidly approaching the time to simply hold him for the early-season starter injury(ies) desperation teams. If he looks good in preseason, maybe some interest rises. Of course by then, half this Board will be a fan again.

2 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Pretty sure this is just April Foolishness -- but it's still fun because it would be a wacky way to offload Baker's contract...

League rules? Might have to clear waivers first, but otherwise, if not prohibited could be cool.

has an nfl player even been traded to the cfl? Google/ ask find no examples...

24 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

As for Baker... Could be a draft Day, trade piece, but feels like we are rapidly approaching the time to simply hold him for the early-season starter injury(ies) desperation teams. If he looks good in preseason, maybe some interest rises. Of course by then, half this Board will be a fan again.

does baker lose out on any money if he doesnt show up for mandatory mini camp ?  also if he is on the roster do you really think he would play a snap in the pre season ?

10 minutes ago, ATOM said:

does baker lose out on any money if he doesnt show up for mandatory mini camp ?  also if he is on the roster do you really think he would play a snap in the pre season ?

I could be dead wrong, but I just cannot see the Cheesecake Factory Kid still being on the roster when training camps start. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I could be dead wrong, but I just cannot see the Cheesecake Factory Kid still being on the roster when training camps start. 

He might as well. Keep his nose clean his chin up and do whatever is asked. You know those snakes in the front office don't want that. Let them eat the 19 million bucks like a Big Slice of Cheesecake and either sit him at the third slot or sabotage the game plan when he's in just to show what a bunch of vindictive pricks they are.

Anyway there's only two ways it can turn out realistically. The massage parlor pervert takes him to the Superbowl single-handedly at which point everything is completely forgotten. Or for one reason or another they fall on their ass which will make the Hue Jackson years look like Vince Lombardis reign.

WSS 😄

21 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

He might as well. Keep his nose clean his chin up and do whatever is asked. You know those snakes in the front office don't want that. Let them eat the 19 million bucks like a Big Slice of Cheesecake and either sit him at the third slot or sabotage the game plan when he's in just to show what a bunch of vindictive pricks they are.

Anyway there's only two ways it can turn out realistically. The massage parlor pervert takes him to the Superbowl single-handedly at which point everything is completely forgotten. Or for one reason or another they fall on their ass which will make the Hue Jackson years look like Vince Lombardis reign.

WSS 😄

Boy, you are just lathering the "Poor Victim Baker" narrative on nice and thick, huh Steve? In fact, I don't recall you posting this much about the Browns during the entire 2021 season as you have in defending your boy Baker Reagan the last month or so. 

The Browns invested a #1 overall pick on him, he ended up being decent but underwhelming, and they moved on with a definite upgrade in Watson, while most likely selling their souls in the process. 

Good times all around, for sure. 

23 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Boy, you are just lathering the "Poor Victim Baker" narrative on nice and thick, huh Steve?

The Browns invested a #1 overall pick on him, he ended up being decent but underwhelming, and they moved on with a definite upgrade in Watson, while most likely selling their souls in the process. 

Good times all around, for sure. 

Absolutely. And the dice are either going to roll my way or the haters way. As far as selling one's soul like I said before there's a reason we, at least I, rooted for Rocky Balboa and not Clubber Lang even though Lang was the heavy favored in every fight.

Furthermore it doesn't matter if Watson only raped a few of those chicks, 230 million dollars will buy a lot of pairs of rose colored glasses for you guys. But be honest what do you think would be an acceptable return? Wildcard? Win the division? AFC Championship? Super Bowl? How far short could we fall and you still accept the deal?

WSS

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Absolutely. And the dice are either going to roll my way or the haters way. As far as selling one's soul like I said before there's a reason we, at least I, rooted for Rocky Balboa and not Clubber Lang even though Lang was the heavy favored in every fight.

Furthermore it doesn't matter if Watson only raped a few of those chicks, 230 million dollars will buy a lot of pairs of rose colored glasses for you guys. But be honest what do you think would be an acceptable return? Wildcard? Win the division? AFC Championship? Super Bowl? How far short could we fall and you still accept the deal?

WSS

Baker Mayfield was the #1 overall pick in a NFL Draft. Not sure how you equate the #1 overall pick of a NFL Draft with Rocky Balboa, who was an almost 30 year old mediocre club fighter and mob collector who got a shot at the heavyweight title. That's a bad analogy.

Your next comment makes zero sense too. Watson receiving a $230 mill contract is somehow buying US rose-colored glasses? HIS money is buying OUR support? Um... what?

The last comment, about what needs to happen to justify the trade for him is a loaded one. If he actually did all the things he has been accused of, there isn't a number of Super Bowl trophies high enough to ever justify putting someone like that on my favorite team's roster. Now, assuming that he never is actually charged with anything, as it has actually played out? That's actually a good, legit question. Giving up on Baker means nothing to me, he had his chance. All the draft picks, and all that guaranteed money? I feel like you really need a Super Bowl victory to justify it, long term.   

On 3/25/2022 at 1:39 AM, hoorta said:

6) No one here is denying that Watson made some bad decisions

Wake me up when those bad decisions result in actual charges. We all went to college, some of us even to a state school.  To date, all that's happened consists of one word : Gossip. And it's weak gossip at that.

I recognize the gossip exists - but as to the truth of the matter asserted.. Put up or shut up. Everyone blathering on about morality is not updating that hypothesis to include the reality that the prosecution can't even find enough hearsay to convince people that there's a 51% chance the narrative is true..

Where's the morality in destroying someone's life for something he didn't do?

12 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

Wake me up when those bad decisions result in actual charges. We all went to college, some of us even to a state school.  To date, all that's happened consists of one word : Gossip. And it's weak gossip at that.

I recognize the gossip exists - but as to the truth of the matter asserted.. Put up or shut up. Everyone blathering on about morality is not updating that hypothesis to include the reality that the prosecution can't even find enough hearsay to convince people that there's a 51% chance the narrative is true..

Where's the morality in destroying someone's life for something he didn't do?

I agree with that 100%. If it's proved that anybody lied that would be worthy of jail time much worse than just being rude. As a matter of fact I don't think rudeness should be actionable by law. On the other hand if he got rough or physical with anybody in his insistence? That's a different story.

WSS