THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayfield

Axe

Baker Mayfield is a complete fucking loser. He couldn't even keep the starting job on a bottom 3 team. Baker has backup caliber talent at best. And no team wants to deal with his bitchiness and moping about not being the starter. He should just quit the NFL and join the Canadian Football League. Goodbye Loser Baker!!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I understand the low opinion of his talents, but not the hatred for the guy.

I share the opinion of him delivering inferior performance , and also that he is a weird motherfucker.

However, he loved the Browns and his heart was 100% with the team. So the hate is because he busted? No, it's because he is weird?

3 Things

*That he made chaotic public comments tell me that the HC may have never really wrapped its arms around this kid. His behavior reminded me of a misbehaved child who had no Father figure. Maybe it was a lost cause, but I think Stefanski failed at coaching his off field development.

*For a short time, he was the shit. He performed at a high level. One cannot say he does not have NFL caliber talent. Did the Browns not coach him properly that he nose dived, or is Mayfield just an uncountable asshole? I don't think anyone knows that.

* Carolina is not exactly a repository for football know how and great quarterbacks.

Mayfield has athletic potential well beyond the average person. He, and nobody else will determine what happens next. Only Mayfield can end his football journey.

• Upvote 1

Anyone surprised  ?  Baker close to being done in the NFL  ?   Yahoo Sports.

The Baker Mayfield experiment with the Carolina Panthers is over.

Carolina released the former Cleveland Browns No. 1 overall pick, the team announced Monday morning. This decision comes almost five months after the Panthers traded a conditional 2024 fifth-round pick to the Browns for Mayfield.

The move is only surprising given the proximity to the trade, as Mayfield's first season with the Panthers has proven to be tumultuous.

Though he began the season as the Panthers' Week 1 starter, Mayfield bounced between the team's first, second and third options at quarterback. He went 1-4 as the starter before an ankle injury sidelined him for a week and lost the starting job to P.J. Walker. Mayfield didn't see action again until Week 9 when he came on in the second half for Walker and then returned to the starting line-up for Week 11. Mayfield lost the starter job again — this time to Sam Darnold before Week 12, who had returned from a preseason ankle injury of his own.

Mayfield finished his Panthers tenure with career-lows in completion percentage (57.8 percent), yards per game (187.6) and only six touchdowns with six interceptions ---> and the story continues,  well maybe --->

26 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I share the opinion of him delivering inferior performance , and also that he is a weird motherfucker.

However, he loved the Browns and his heart was 100% with the team. So the hate is because he busted? No, it's because he is weird?

Bingo.

I don't know how anybody could forget how the Browns were so awful the 3 years before he arrived. 3-13, 1-15, 0-16. Then they start 2018 0-1-1.

4-45-1.

Tyrod Taylor goes down with an injury, Browns rally to beat the NY Jets.

Baker brought competent QB play & the team mainly rallied around him until the whole OBJ/shoulder injury stuff.

I went 3 seasons without seeing a win in our home stadium ( I split season tickets with my cousin).

Thanks for making football fun again in CLE Baker. Sorry it didn't work out. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

So what is next ?

A.   Another starting job from a desperate team.

B.   An experienced backup clipboard holding job.

C.   A return to Cleveland....no won't happen. 

D.   An analyst job in a studio or calling games.

E.   He just walks away from football altogether. 

F.  He just disappeares from public life altogether. 

G.  Other.

And from the Carolina viewpoint. 

CHARLOTTE — The Baker Mayfield experiment is over.

The Panthers released the veteran quarterback Monday, ending a whirlwind season that didn't go the way he or they anticipated.

The move seemed to be in the cards once interim coach Steve Wilks moved PJ Walker ahead of him on the depth chart Monday. Sam Darnold will start again this week against the Seahawks.

The Panthers traded a conditional 2024 fifth-rounder to the Browns in July for the rights to the former No. 1 overall pick. That pick could have become a fourth-rounder in 2024 if he'd have played 70 percent of the snaps, but he did not.

Nor did he play to the level anyone expected, after he won the competition for the starting job in training camp.

From the B/R Bleacher Report.   (Like a Cleveland fans'  " we told you so".)

The Carolina Panthers released quarterback Baker Mayfield on Monday, allowing the veteran quarterback to hit waivers before the stretch run of the regular season.

Jeff Howe of The Athletic reported Mayfield requested his release after being informed he would be the third quarterback on the depth chart behind Sam Darnold and PJ Walker.

Mayfield threw for 1,313 yards, six touchdowns and six interceptions in seven appearances (six starts) for the Panthers this season. Carolina acquired Mayfield in the offseason in a trade with the Cleveland Browns; releasing him now locks in Cleveland's compensation as a fifth-round pick rather than a potential fourth-rounder.

• mjp28 changed the title to December 5, 2022 - The Baker Mayfield experiment with the Carolina Panthers is over. (A we told you so ?)

Baker is a headcase. For you morons that insist he doesn't have qb talent is just plain idiotic. I don't know if he will ever return to his early form, but I kind of doubt it. He over compensates with his remarks and public displays, for his fragile ego. Even though he seems to have unlimited confidence, as soon as he throws an int, or misses a pass or 2, he's done. He can't come back from mistakes. Still...after what I saw yesterday, I would take him over Watson all day long.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, lodilobo said:

Baker is a headcase. For you morons that insist he doesn't have qb talent is just plain idiotic. I don't know if he will ever return to his early form, but I kind of doubt it. He over compensates with his remarks and public displays, for his fragile ego. Even though he seems to have unlimited confidence, as soon as he throws an int, or misses a pass or 2, he's done. He can't come back from mistakes. Still...after what I saw yesterday, I would take him over Watson all day long.

Baker is his own worst "enema" right now... I'm highly disappointed in him...

2 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

3 Things

*That he made chaotic public comments tell me that the HC may have never really wrapped its arms around this kid. His behavior reminded me of a misbehaved child who had no Father figure. Maybe it was a lost cause, but I think Stefanski failed at coaching his off field development.

*For a short time, he was the shit. He performed at a high level. One cannot say he does not have NFL caliber talent. Did the Browns not coach him properly that he nose dived, or is Mayfield just an uncountable asshole? I don't think anyone knows that.

* Carolina is not exactly a repository for football know how and great quarterbacks.

Mayfield has athletic potential well beyond the average person. He, and nobody else will determine what happens next. Only Mayfield can end his football journey.

Jake Delhomme was their best and he was average in my book

3 hours ago, BernieSuperBowl2 said:

Baker Mayfield is a complete fucking loser. He couldn't even keep the starting job on a bottom 3 team. Baker has backup caliber talent at best. And no team wants to deal with his bitchiness and moping about not being the starter. He should just quit the NFL and join the Canadian Football League. Goodbye Loser Baker!!!

No he should hope to God Lincoln Riley gets an NFL gig and saves his ass...

46 minutes ago, nickers said:

We didn't need another Baker thread... But thanks for playing... He's gone dude...

Oh yes  -but-  I couldn't resist putting the other reports of Baker Reagan Mayfield's departure from professional football up somewhere. 

Besides  the threads will eventually get merged and in a few weeks or months probably will disappear forever.

BUT  until then it's just one more      adios Baker      from the BROWNS fans everywhere. 

And  GO BROWNS,   moving on. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

releasing him now locks in Cleveland's compensation as a fifth-round pick

#1 overall.....to a fifth round pick.    Such are the gambles of the draft.  As I recall, I wanted the tall drink of water with the strong arm.  But Dorsey chose the short guy with the strong arm that couldn't outrun a cop.  

I’ve thought all along…He’s not a Chase Daniel/Mike Glennon type.  

That would require him to be a professional and study the game and be a good influence on younger QBs.  And of course play decently when called upon. 

Taking a pay cut and being more prepared and more mature than he ever has is too much to ask.

I could see him being out of football soon.

1 hour ago, nickers said:

Per his request.. Wish granted...

I wish Baker the best, and hope he catches on with another team that has more skill at wr and oline that he can make it work. That, and a Kelce type of TE. Who knows - we may see Baker in the playoffs later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, calfoxwc said:

I wish Baker the best, and hope he catches on with another team that has more skill at wr and oline that he can make it work. That, and a Kelce type of TE. Who knows - we may see Baker in the playoffs later.

CAL....or Calsnots as I have always called you with affection, :-), you have stated what I hinted at in my.more verbose post.

Baker has played at a high level in the NFL. A spearing non call against us prevented the Browns going to the AFC championship game.

There is enough evidence that Baker could still emerge as a diamond in the rough.

I just don't know that the fat lady has sung on him yet. I think he is weird, but he loved Cleveland, and I too wish him the best

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

And the 2000 Ravens defense, and Ray Guy at punter, and Justin Tucker at kicker, with Devin Hester and Josh Cribbs as their kick returners. 

All jokes aside, the 49ers (unless I missed any news today) need a QB with Jimmy G. out for the season. They could do worse than Baker, who I always thought was in that middle-of-the-road starting QB class with Garappolo. 

33 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I could see him being out of football soon.

Yep, this is the 2nd phase of that rapidly approaching inevitability, and he only has to look in the mirror for the reason why.... Dude has physical talent for sure, but inside he's still that guy that tried to evade the police and most likely always will be. 

31 minutes ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

CAL....or Calsnots as I have always called you with affection, :-), you have stated what I hinted at in my.more verbose post.

Baker has played at a high level in the NFL. A spearing non call against us prevented the Browns going to the AFC championship game.

There is enough evidence that Baker could still emerge as a diamond in the rough.

I just don't know that the fat lady has sung on him yet. I think he is weird, but he loved Cleveland, and I too wish him the best

LOL. I remember, always took it with humor. The Niners have lost Trey Lance earlier on, now they have lost Garoppolo for the rest of the season, and activated Brock Purdy ??? their "Mr. Irrevelent" last pick.

Who knows? Maybe they will sign Baker, and he will be a Heisman winner backing up the last pick....and go to a superbowl and get a ring.

LOL LOL LOL.

that would be great.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Axe said:

9ers are probably pretty desperate.

I hope the Heisman commercial's pay well ;)

Like I said on the other Baker thread, the 49ers would not be dumb if they picked him up. 

With that team, he wouldn't be asked to be great. He could possibly try and emulate what Jacoby did here for 11 games.