THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayfield

Axe

If we are being totally honest, Baker played for the absolute worst organization in football and was more successful here than anyone else had been. I hold no animosity toward him whatsoever. While we're being honest, if yesterday is any indication of what we have to look forward to, we're in deep shit. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, darkside5 said:

If we are being totally honest, Baker played for the absolute worst organization in football and was more successful here than anyone else had been. I hold no animosity toward him whatsoever. While we're being honest, if yesterday is any indication of what we have to look forward to, we're in deep shit. 

You need look no further than Dingleberry and Depoopoo and the Jack off owner who hired them...

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Like I said on the other Baker thread, the 49ers would not be dumb if they picked him up. 

With that team, he wouldn't be asked to be great. He could possibly try and emulate what Jacoby did here for 11 games. 

They could actually use Jacoby.  

• Upvote 1

By the way, if you haven't been paying attention, the other Heisman winning QB from Oklahoma in the NFL right now is absolutely lighting shit up... 

Jalen Hurts has thrown for 2940 yards, at a 68.1% completion clip, 20 touchdown passes vs 3 interceptions AND has rushed for 609 yards and 9 more touchdowns. 

52 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Like I said on the other Baker thread, the 49ers would not be dumb if they picked him up. 

With that team, he wouldn't be asked to be great. He could possibly try and emulate what Jacoby did here for 11 games. 

I think with Jimmy G out for the season, it would be the logical place for him to land.

Since we’re talking former Browns players, where do you think Odell Beckham will go?

12 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I think with Jimmy G out for the season, it would be the logical place for him to land.

Since we’re talking former Browns players, where do you think Odell Beckham will go?

That's a good question, because I'm not sure who will take a guy who will not work out for a team before signing with them. 

He's been linked with the Giants, Bills and Cowboys. 

3 hours ago, D Bone said:

inside he's still that guy that tried to evade the police

Did you see a couple of weeks ago where on the sideline he was headbutting the players coming off the field, each and every one of 'em....and they all had their helmets on but he didn't.    Now, is that supposed to show how tough he is?  Or how stupid he is?   Answer: it's to be noticed.  It's to make it about him.  -  He didn't want to look towards OBJ's side of the field.  OBJ is too big of an entity.  He felt it would've become about OBJ and not him.  And it's gotta be about him.  It's his attitude that is most of his problem. (and that he misses guys high over the middle)

Plant that flag.  

• Upvote 1

I still go back to a game that Baker got roasted at San Fran.. back then,

49'ers DC Robert Saleh showed many teams via that game-film what to do vs. Baker Mayfield 

On 12/5/2022 at 7:38 PM, Dutch Oven said:

By the way, if you haven't been paying attention, the other Heisman winning QB from Oklahoma in the NFL right now is absolutely lighting shit up... 

Jalen Hurts has thrown for 2940 yards, at a 68.1% completion clip, 20 touchdown passes vs 3 interceptions AND has rushed for 609 yards and 9 more touchdowns. 

Call me confused...

Jalen Hurts played at Alabama 3 years.. Oklahoma 1 in his final year.. lost the Heisman to Joe Borrow..

What's kinda funny is..I think your mixing up former? Oklahoma Heisman winner Zona QB Kyler Murray..Who has the same short /snappy attitude of Baker Mayfield? 

• Haha 1

• hoorta changed the title to Mayfield.. CUT!!!
  • hoorta featured and unfeatured this topic

Yup, Baker went from "The Toast of the Town"  to just plain "Toast"...  I agree, he's Niners bound, they're in dire straits for a QB...  Should he flop there, the Baker Boosters Club will have run out of excuses for the guy.   

I did say we'll soon enough see if Mayfield just needed a fresh start, or as some around here opined,  as our one hit wonder Derek Anderson- NFL defensive coordinators figured Baker out. And sure seems like Stefanski and Berry were 100% correct in their appraisal that Baker was flat out never going to be good enough to get the Browns to the Super Bowl Promised Land.  Take a bow Tia, sure looks like you were right. 

That said, it brings me no joy to see yet another of our first round QB picks flame out early.  

Just now, hoorta said:

Yup, Baker went from "The Toast of the Town"  to just plain "Toast"...  I agree, he's Niners bound, they're in dire straits for a QB...  

I did say we'll see soon enough RE: if Mayfield just needed a fresh start, or as some around here opined, and as our one hit wonder Derek Anderson- NFL defensive coordinators figured Baker out. Take a bow Tia, sure looks like you were right. 

That said, it brings me no joy to see yet another of our first round QB picks flame out early.  

And Carolina isn't a birthing ground for QB development.. Unless your counting Jake Delhomme...

6 minutes ago, nickers said:

And Carolina isn't a birthing ground for QB development.. Unless your counting Jake Delhomme...

True, but the expectations in Carolina were he was going to step right in and be "the answer" at quarterback. Excuse me, but 5th season Baker wasn't supposed to be a "developmental project", come right on down, and start winning games for us.. He got his shot..  All things being equal, he couldn't beat out the proven suckitude that is Sam Darnold. 

Do you remember what I opined way back? That Baker's ceiling was probably Andy Dalton's.....  Can be effective if the  cast surrounding him is 100% perfect.  It may well turn out that may even be too optimistic for poor Mr. Mayfield.  

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

True, but the expectations in Carolina were he was going to step right in and be "the answer" at quarterback. Excuse me, but 5th season Baker wasn't supposed to be a "developmental project", come right on down, and start winning games for us.. He got his shot..  All things being equal, he couldn't beat out the proven suckitude that is Sam Darnold. 

Do you remember what I opined way back? That Baker's ceiling was probably Andy Dalton's.....  Can be effective if the  cast surrounding him is 100% perfect.  It may well turn out that may even be too optimistic for poor Mr. Mayfield.  

Every quarterback needs a team to play it's best. Look at Tom Brady's recent visit to Cleveland. Where would massage parlor boy be without special teams and defense?

WSS

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I understand the low opinion of his talents, but not the hatred for the guy.

I share the opinion of him delivering inferior performance , and also that he is a weird motherfucker.

However, he loved the Browns and his heart was 100% with the team. So the hate is because he busted? No, it's because he is weird?

How we so quickly forget.  He had done what has never been done before.

The guy beat Pittsburgh. In their house. In the playoffs. After that game we wanted to build a statue of him.

Just curious, do you ever recall Baker playing a game as horrific as Watson did on Sunday?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Call me confused...

Jalen Hurts played at Alabama 3 years.. Oklahoma 1 in his final year.. lost the Heisman to Joe Borrow..

What's kinda funny is..I think your mixing up former? Oklahoma Heisman winner Zona QB Kyler Murray..Who has the same short /snappy attitude of Baker Mayfield? 

A thousand apologies, you are absolutely correct, I did mix the two up!

Helluva year Mr. Jalen "I Almost Won the Heisman at Oklahoma" Hurts ☺️

I'm going to repost this here.  For you Baker lovers.

Did you see a couple of weeks ago where on the sideline he was headbutting the players coming off the field, each and every one of 'em....and they all had their helmets on but he didn't.    Now, is that supposed to show how tough he is?  Or how stupid he is?   Answer: it's to be noticed.  It's to make it about him.  -  He didn't want to look towards OBJ's side of the field.  OBJ is too big of an entity.  He felt it would've become about OBJ and not him.  And it's gotta be about him.  It's his attitude that is most of his problem. (and that he misses guys high over the middle)

Plant that flag. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FY56 said:

How we so quickly forget.  He had done what has never been done before.

The guy beat Pittsburgh. In their house. In the playoffs. After that game we wanted to build a statue of him.

Just curious, do you ever recall Baker playing a game as horrific as Watson did on Sunday?

No but he's had some doozies.. the difference was Baker had injuries to use as a valid reason... As I have stated.. I have seen rookies come off the street cold with 0 exp perform better against better teams than the trash Watson faced Sunday... The excuses won't hold around here long... Meaning I'll give Watson the same amount of rope some of you twits gave Mayfield..

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Plant that flag. 

Actually.. No He actually earned some respect down there... Players spoke highly of him upon his departure.. But you'll just call it lip service I'm sure... Not saying BM doesnt have issues... The fact that were still gabbing about him means he clearly rents free space in the minds of his detractors... Let it go man...

23 minutes ago, nickers said:

No but he's had some doozies.. the difference was Baker had injuries to use as a valid reason... As I have stated.. I have seen rookies come off the street cold with 0 exp perform better against better teams than the trash Watson faced Sunday... The excuses won't hold around here long... Meaning I'll give Watson the same amount of rope some of you twits gave Mayfield..

I believe it was a couple days prior to playing the Texans one Browns player had said it felt like Watson had never left.

Recalling that quote after that game gave me reason to laugh.  He was that bad huh?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, FY56 said:

I believe it was a couple days prior to playing the Texans one Browns player had said it felt like Watson had never left.

Recalling that quote after that game gave me reason to laugh.  He was that bad huh?

Yeah, our 200+ million dollar quarterback Watson WAS that bad. The Browns defense and special teams outscored the offense. A Bengals fan told me the way Deshaun was skipping passes off the turf, he should try out for the Cavaliers. 

But regarding Baker never having lousy games IIRC, he had a few with a sub 10 qbr. I'm not going to waste time checking Pro Football Reference to verify that. :)

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Plant that flag. 

I for one do not take exception to your observations. I am neither a lover or a hater of Mayfield. Again, to me the salient points around him are:

1) He has indeed played at a high level in the NFL

2) His behavior is weird and I think detracts from his and his team's performance.

3) He failed in Cleveland, but did nothing to garner hate from Browns fans. He loved Cleveland. In this day and age, that is rare.

The Browns were right to get rid of him. That does not mean however that he is done. Under the right conditions he could change his fortunes.

I don't understand the venom for this guy.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

LOL. I remember, always took it with humor. The Niners have lost Trey Lance earlier on, now they have lost Garoppolo for the rest of the season, and activated Brock Purdy ??? their "Mr. Irrevelent" last pick.

Who knows? Maybe they will sign Baker, and he will be a Heisman winner backing up the last pick....and go to a superbowl and get a ring.

LOL LOL LOL.

that would be great.

Newswire says Rams may be jumping on him. I hope so, because his story is nutty and interesting. 

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Newswire says Rams may be jumping on him. I hope so, because his story is nutty and interesting. 

Think about this though Tommy... Stafford is getting old by NFL standards... Sean McVey and the Rams actually knows how to mold QB's... I actually think this will be good for Baker... Now he has bonafide QB coaching... Something only Ken Zampese provided for him here.. He had his best accuracy and development under Zampese...

• Upvote 1