THE BROWNS BOARD

Mayfield

Axe

5 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I don't understand the venom for this guy.

The thing that pissed me off was last year when we had 3rd down and 4ish, in the 4th qtr.....we were losing and needed to score to get back on top.  He rolls right and looks right at Felton standing all alone near the sideline, one yard past the sticks.  And ya know what he did.  He pulled it down and tried to run for it himself.  Because it has to be about him.  We had to punt and we got beat.  From that point on I was thinking of what we could do.  Get Jimmy G?  Trade to the top of the draft for a QB that doesn't seem worthy of being drafted that high?    And then, bang, Watson deal.  Movin' on.

I hear he's a Ram now...

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nickers said:

Think about this though Tommy... Stafford is getting old by NFL standards... Sean McVey and the Rams actually knows how to mold QB's... I actually think this will be good for Baker... Now he has bonafide QB coaching... Something only Ken Zampese provided for him here.. He had his best accuracy and development under Zampese...

McVey is gonna retire baker isnt gonna do shit but get them a compensatory pick

edit : or did you forget the rams gave up all their picks for their super bowl run

11 hours ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I for one do not take exception to your observations. I am neither a lover or a hater of Mayfield. Again, to me the salient points around him are:

1) He has indeed played at a high level in the NFL

2) His behavior is weird and I think detracts from his and his team's performance.

3) He failed in Cleveland, but did nothing to garner hate from Browns fans. He loved Cleveland. In this day and age, that is rare.

4) The Browns were right to get rid of him. That does not mean however that he is done. Under the right conditions he could change his fortunes.

I don't understand the venom for this guy.

Regarding 1-3 Tom I agree 100%...  #4? Correct to dump him, but unless he can pull a Jim Plunkett out of his ass....  It's rarer for a QB whose flaws (refer to Tia's dozens of posts documenting exactly that- have been figured out by every defensive coordinator in the NFL) than it is for a Josh Allen to correct flawed mechanics and turn into an elite QB. 

Venom? Not so much, but there's the other side of the coin too...  Those Baker nut huggers (some of who are still hugging away despite evidence to the contrary) still living in the past relishing the one and done win over the Steelers in the playoffs- where the DEFENSE gift wrapped the game to the Browns starting with the first play from Shittsburg scrimmage resulting in a touchdown. Those who think that win was all Baker's doing are living in some fantasy world. 

MHO? Baker might still be on the Browns if he wasn't so pig headed to admit last year he was so physically screwed up , his play was hurting the team. He personally lost more than a couple of games.  :(  Thanks for the memories Baker...  

4 hours ago, Vambo said:

Rams claim former No. 1 pick Baker Mayfield off waivers; Niners didn't make claim for QB

https://www.nfl.com/news/rams-claim-former-no-1-pick-baker-mayfield-off-waivers

Hmmm... even if the Niners had made a claim, the Rams had waiver preference... Maybe they just didn't bother, figuring they weren't going to get him anyway...  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Venom? Not so much, but there's the other side of the coin too...  Those Baker nut huggers (some of who are still hugging away despite evidence to the contrary) still living in the past relishing the one and done win over the Steelers in the playoffs- where the DEFENSE gift wrapped the game to the Browns starting with the first play from Shittsburg scrimmage resulting in a touchdown. Those who think that win was all Baker's doing are living in some fantasy world. 

I wonder if there are Jacksonville Jaguars fans out there still salty that the Jags got rid of Blake Bortles, because as we all know, he also beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh in the playoffs... in front of fans, too. Interesting fact: Since 2011, the Steelers are 3-7 in the playoffs. They are 0-4 in home playoff games during that stretch.

Hmmm... even if the Niners had made a claim, the Rams had waiver preference... Maybe they just didn't bother, figuring they weren't going to get him anyway...  

I'm sure the 49ers did their due diligence on the situation, and asked Christian McCaffrey his opinion on Baker. Perhaps they didn't put a waiver claim on him because they didn't think there was a chance of getting him, or...  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Regarding 1-3 Tom I agree 100%...  #4? Correct to dump him, but unless he can pull a Jim Plunkett out of his ass....  It's rarer for a QB whose flaws (refer to Tia's dozens of posts documenting exactly that- have been figured out by every defensive coordinator in the NFL) than it is for a Josh Allen to correct flawed mechanics and turn into an elite QB. 

MHO? Baker might still be on the Browns if he wasn't so pig headed to admit last year he was so physically screwed up , his play was hurting the team. He personally lost more than a couple of games.  :(  Thanks for the memories Baker...  

Larry, I'm not obstinate about #4, as your points are also things I have also grappled with.

Regarding Baker playing hurt; this story, at least to me, remains a puzzle.

Did Stefanski approve and promote this? If so was it because he believed in Baker or because he wanted to ruin him and get a new one.

Or, did Baker go to Haslam to override a benching?

It's just weird. WTF kind of a franchise does this shit? 

Like Baker or not, he was mishandled and he was allowed to be too distracting.

13 hours ago, Orion said:

The thing that pissed me off was last year when we had 3rd down and 4ish, in the 4th qtr.....we were losing and needed to score to get back on top.  He rolls right and looks right at Felton standing all alone near the sideline, one yard past the sticks.  And ya know what he did.  He pulled it down and tried to run for it himself.  Because it has to be about him.  We had to punt and we got beat.  From that point on I was thinking of what we could do.  Get Jimmy G?  Trade to the top of the draft for a QB that doesn't seem worthy of being drafted that high?    And then, bang, Watson deal.  Movin' on.

I hear he's a Ram now...

I agree 100% on his selfishness.

On 12/6/2022 at 5:59 PM, nickers said:

Think about this though Tommy... Stafford is getting old by NFL standards... Sean McVey and the Rams actually knows how to mold QB's... I actually think this will be good for Baker... Now he has bonafide QB coaching... Something only Ken Zampese provided for him here.. He had his best accuracy and development under Zampese...

I reiterate that this is interesting. This is a real chance for Mayfield to revive his career. I don't follow the Rams but I have to think they are talented enough that a good QB can thrive.

I think Baker is a cockhead, but this story is interesting to watch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

I reiterate that this is interesting. This is a real chance for Mayfield to revive his career. I don't follow the Rams but I have to think they are talented enough that a good QB can thrive.

I think Bakernis a cockhead, but this story is interesting to watch.

Whether or not you like Baker is on you/the fans, Whomever. But to sit there and say hes not talented is factually wrong. Now granted.. He's not Brady or Rodgers...Nobody else is either. If the kid gets his head out of his ass I think he can still thrive... I can't stand LeBron James... But the guy is talented as F~~. Not gonna deny Baker has some talent that can still be molded. Part of that is up to him... Now I totally disagreed with Odell's dad undressing the kid in public... That was a classless ,churlish act in my view.. Odell is nothing but an opportunistic carpetbagger.. The ultimate anti team mate whose taking advantage of the system so to speak. But all that being said... I've moved on... I'm more concerned about how shitty DW looks right now... He's got 2 games to show me something... Or he's just another failed Jackoff IMHO.

• Upvote 1

Interesting pickup by the Rams.

- Baker should have familiarity with some of the offensive language 

- Played in an outside zone based system here, and McVey is from that same discipline.  So the personnel groupings and formations, especially being back under center, are a comfort zone.  

- Also versed in certain concepts and progressions based on pre-snap reads.  

- Quality defense that can float him and the offense when need be.

McVey is used to game planning with a QB who has like weaknesses from his time with Jared Goff.   The things that plague Goff, minus height, also are a knock on Mayfield.   So at least the coaching staff has an idea of how to make the engine go without a much larger period of evaluation.

I've little doubt Baker looks better in L.A., could be as soon as next week.   But their Oline is still a bit of a mess, so the ceiling is obvious on how far this goes.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan1 said:

Fans pay for the NFL. It's our birthright to boo and say disparaging things.

Nobody in the media should be calling anyone a bust. Let him strap on a helmet and go square up for a couple plays, then come tell us about busts.

I still love Jim Everett for bitch slapping what's his ass?

On 12/5/2022 at 1:49 PM, mjp28 said:

Anyone surprised  ?  Baker close to being done in the NFL  ?   Yahoo Sports.

The Baker Mayfield experiment with the Carolina Panthers is over.

Carolina released the former Cleveland Browns No. 1 overall pick, the team announced Monday morning. This decision comes almost five months after the Panthers traded a conditional 2024 fifth-round pick to the Browns for Mayfield.

The move is only surprising given the proximity to the trade, as Mayfield's first season with the Panthers has proven to be tumultuous.

Though he began the season as the Panthers' Week 1 starter, Mayfield bounced between the team's first, second and third options at quarterback. He went 1-4 as the starter before an ankle injury sidelined him for a week and lost the starting job to P.J. Walker. Mayfield didn't see action again until Week 9 when he came on in the second half for Walker and then returned to the starting line-up for Week 11. Mayfield lost the starter job again — this time to Sam Darnold before Week 12, who had returned from a preseason ankle injury of his own.

Mayfield finished his Panthers tenure with career-lows in completion percentage (57.8 percent), yards per game (187.6) and only six touchdowns with six interceptions ---> and the story continues,  well maybe --->

I don't think the Fat Lady has sung yet.

1 hour ago, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

Fans pay for the NFL. It's our birthright to boo and say disparaging things.

Nobody in the media should be calling anyone a bust. Let him strap on a helmet and go square up for a couple plays, then come tell us about busts.

I still love Jim Everett for bitch slapping what's his ass?

Jim Rome when he called him "Chrissy"

• Haha 2

On 12/5/2022 at 4:54 PM, mjp28 said:

moving on. 

Have we?    The number of threads beating a dead horse says otherwise.   

This is the same week Watson finally took the field and all people want to talk about is Baker.  It's also a week our Defense and Special Teams combined to score 3 TDs, just 1 week after the Defense swarmed Tom Brady.  Could this team be heating up at the right time?  Or, is it just a false alarm?  Who knows; but winning 2 games in a row is some excitement we haven't celebrated much this year.  

11 hours ago, Flugel said:

Have we?    The number of threads beating a dead horse says otherwise.   

This is the same week Watson finally took the field and all people want to talk about is Baker.  It's also a week our Defense and Special Teams combined to score 3 TDs, just 1 week after the Defense swarmed Tom Brady.  Could this team be heating up at the right time?  Or, is it just a false alarm?  Who knows; but winning 2 games in a row is some excitement we haven't celebrated much this year.  

Like, where's @Orion Tale of the Tape thread? 

As exciting is the Baker Bros waking up from six months of slumber, seeing their shadow and then rushing to defend their boy is in multiple threads, there is a pretty interesting game coming up Sunday. Can Joe B finally exorcise his Browns demons? Can Watson look like something that even remotely looks like a NFL QB? 

• Thanks 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:43 AM, nickers said:

Whether or not you like Baker is on you/the fans, Whomever. But to sit there and 1) say hes not talented is factually wrong. Now granted.. He's not Brady or Rodgers...Nobody else is either. If the kid gets his head out of his ass I think he can still thrive... I can't stand LeBron James... But the guy is talented as F~~. Not gonna deny Baker has some talent that can still be molded. Part of that is up to him... Now 2) I totally disagreed with Odell's dad undressing the kid in public... That was a classless ,churlish act in my view.. Odell is nothing but an opportunistic carpetbagger.. The ultimate anti team mate whose taking advantage of the system so to speak. But all that being said... I've moved on... I'm more concerned about how shitty DW looks right now... He's got 2 games to show me something... Or he's just another failed Jackoff IMHO.

Physically talented nickers? Of course, any qb short of the elite arm guys like Allen have PHYSICAL talent that schmucks like us can only dream about.  Baker's problems are between his ears, refer to Tia's pre and post snap reads. 

On 12/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, Neo said:

So I'm not entirely sure how the waiver wire works. Is it like the draft? Teams with the worst record get priority if they put a claim in? Is there any compensation for claiming a player? And if he clears waivers he's FA, right?

You are exactly right on both counts.. the waiver wire is a live rendition of the 2023 draft...  Worst teams have first dibs. The Texans stand at the top of the heap.  

IIRC, teams losing a player do get the possibility of compensatory picks...  But claiming a player on waivers, his contract goes with him... Clearing waivers, the player (who has enough vested years) is a true free agent, and can sign with any team for an agreeable contract- former contract void.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Like, where's @Orion Tale of the Tape thread? 

I'm gettin' to it now.......just got back from a 2nd rehearsal this week....we're playing 2 Christmas shows this weekend.  :)

• Upvote 1