THE BROWNS BOARD

The 2023 season film studies. Thread of questions and answers.

tiamat63

This is something I was pretty effusive pointing out about Hudson and our tackles in the Pre-season.  Not only ours, but a lot of the games I was watching in August.    

It needs to be put a stop to, there are already enough rules that punish defenses for bad offenses.    I figured it wouldn't be long before someone much more prominent noticed this and spoke up.  

378167702_851475819676605_1093436154094512356_n.thumb.jpg.a7a819ea89e82b0d231fc38620bcb1fa.jpg

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Look at where the RT is set pre-snap. 

That's ridiculous. 

He lined up like that all night and I don't remember KC getting flagged even once for it. The advantage of that formation almost has that side already hinged off before the snap.  Inevitably someone is going to say "yeah but you could see his big toe is pretty much even with the Guard's heel/hip on a lot of those."  Give me a break because the guy wears at least a size 15 shoe/cleat.  The officials need to apply the spirit of the rule in their judgement on something like this.  Was there an unfair advantage gained?  Well, the reason they lined him up like that was to put their Tackle in much better position to shield that edge vrs a force like Hutchinson.  They got away with it all night.  IMO, that was just as bad as (if not worse) than all of the false starts the officiating crew enabled.  The Lions responded with some x-stunts via crashing Hutchinson down inside to challenge spacing/positioning of the OL on that side.  Looked pretty effective to me. 

If the Browns line up like that in Pittsburgh on Monday - I can almost guarantee they'll get flagged for not having enough men on the line of scrimmage. 

• Upvote 1

You see LT's do that all the time.  It does make a huge difference.  It basically gives the LT a 2 step ground gain on the DE.  Three if you count the left, right, then left again, or R,L,then R again for the other tackle. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

It's a false start, plain and simple.  Ball isn't live and you're in a kick step? 10 yards, run it back.  

Looks like Dean addressed this/this week.. Taylor stated that he moves knowing the snap count 😇 But they want the formation legal this week.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/09/14/nfl-planning-crack-down-illegal-tackle-alignment-week-2-chiefs-jawaan-taylor

For tackles to be properly be aligned at the line of scrimmage, a part of their body must be breaking an imaginary line from the center’s belt. Typically, the helmet would be the furthest bit forward for the linemen. In Week 1, that was missed more often than is acceptable.

• Thanks 1

I have seen O-lines lining up in a concave manner for a good while.  Could be concave depending on how you look at it.  I guess the emphasis on protecting the QB has led to this.  Today you see tackles lined up with the helmet in line with their guards butt.

The league has allowed this so if they are going to start enforcing,  they need to give the OT 1 verbal warning.  I know they do this with edge rushers if it looks to the ref they are starting to push the boundary of the neutral zone.

16 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

I appreciate Brett taking a stab at this. 

Firstly - VERY bold of him to assume we're ALL adults. 

Secondly - I never played Oline, so I'm even learning something a bit new here.  At least, in terms of the 'loophole' mentioned.  Which, I'm no fan of loopholes.  Taxes or football.  

Thirdly - In his very video, which I only watched a few minutes of, the torso itself cannot come forward on reset, yet it's incredibly difficult to measure that in real time.  Now I'm understanding of the back foot positioning, but I also know, it's damn near impossible to continue this play without being so microscopic that we end up feeling like it's arguing what the definition of 'is'  is.    Especially when you consider how a line judge qualifies the back foot being planted on a kick step vs the snap timing and ball being live.

So either the NFL goes full authoritarian on this, which I'm no fan of.   Or they end up letting too much of it go, which I feel we saw quite a bit pre-season and Week 1.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.  But if the NFL has put all 32 teams on notice, then obviously they feel strongly enough about it that we're swimming in those "pressing it too much" type of waters.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 3:17 PM, tiamat63 said:

I appreciate Brett taking a stab at this. 

Firstly - VERY bold of him to assume we're ALL adults. 

Secondly - I never played Oline, so I'm even learning something a bit new here.  At least, in terms of the 'loophole' mentioned.  Which, I'm no fan of loopholes.  Taxes or football.  

Thirdly - In his very video, which I only watched a few minutes of, the torso itself cannot come forward on reset, yet it's incredibly difficult to measure that in real time.  Now I'm understanding of the back foot positioning, but I also know, it's damn near impossible to continue this play without being so microscopic that we end up feeling like it's arguing what the definition of 'is'  is.    Especially when you consider how a line judge qualifies the back foot being planted on a kick step vs the snap timing and ball being live.

So either the NFL goes full authoritarian on this, which I'm no fan of.   Or they end up letting too much of it go, which I feel we saw quite a bit pre-season and Week 1.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out.  But if the NFL has put all 32 teams on notice, then obviously they feel strongly enough about it that we're swimming in those "pressing it too much" type of waters.

Tia, Thanks for sharing that explanation by Brett.  This was my beef that @Dutch Oven actually mentioned 1st in this thread about where he noticed how far the RT was lining up.  Line Judges are usually VERY quick to throw this flag when an OT cheats back far enough to the extent that not enough guys are lined up on the LOS.  As Brett mentioned, the RT's helmet was up far enough to the extent it was directly in line with the Center's belt (hips/fanny could be an equivalent here).  That's an advantage for the OT especially when used in pass pro situations that the Chiefs used it in.  No flags?  Really?  Are we applying integrity of the game here or we trying to sell viewers that KC is ready to defend their Championship?  Make you wonder WTF is going on here or at least it should IMO.  KC is a great team that's easy to respect so the NFL doesn't need to help/protect them like that.  They gained an advantage via the formation and it was up to the officiating crew to control that better than they cared to.

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Tia, Thanks for sharing that explanation by Brett.  This was my beef that @Dutch Oven actually mentioned 1st in this thread about where he noticed how far the RT was lining up.  Line Judges are usually VERY quick to throw this flag when an OT cheats back far enough to the extent that not enough guys are lined up on the LOS.  As Brett mentioned, the RT's helmet was up far enough to the extent it was directly in line with the Center's belt (hips/fanny could be an equivalent here).  That's an advantage for the OT especially when used in pass pro situations that the Chiefs used it in.  No flags?  Really?  Are we applying integrity of the game here or we trying to sell viewers that KC is ready to defend their Championship?  Make you wonder WTF is going on here or at least it should IMO.  KC is a great team that's easy to respect so the NFL doesn't need to help/protect them like that.  They gained an advantage via the formation and it was up to the officiating crew to control that better than they cared to.

First of all, as much as I would love to take credit, @Unsympathetic was the one who linked the video initially.  

Having some time to sort of mull it over, beyond pass pro situations; what this effects as much as anything is the pulling game - especially from the tackle spot.  That extra space allowed by the refs makes a lineman's job much easier.   So when I think of things like those double backside pulls, the misdirection game, etc etc...  where the Oline is allowed to set, depth wise, from the center is incredibly important.

@Flugel

I have plenty of work to drop in this thread, but a little foreshadowing right up your alley - of the first 9 straight drops on pass pro from Jed, he only had a positive grade on 2. 

Not only do we not have average LT play, we actually have bottom 1/3 in the NFL play from our blindside. And I'm being conservative there. It's honestly closer to bottom 5. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

@Flugel

I have plenty of work to drop in this thread, but a little foreshadowing right up your alley - of the first 9 straight drops on pass pro from Jed, he only had a positive grade on 2. 

Not only do we not have average LT play, we actually have bottom 1/3 in the NFL play from our blindside. And I'm being conservative there. It's honestly closer to bottom 5. 

Our rollover RT was not a whole lot better either. EDIT: And didn't Bitonio get pancaked on his back on one of those sacks?

42 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Our rollover RT was not a whole lot better either. EDIT: And didn't Bitonio get pancaked on his back on one of those sacks?

Haven't gotten that far.  Dawand has reasons.

He's a rookie going against a top 5 edge rusher (depending on where you rank him) whose game isn't set to consistently handle those sorts of assignments. 

Jed is in his 4th season and was getting bull rushed by Markus Golden pretty bad. I just don't think he works on the left side.  The consistent problems that show up on every snap is the lack of initial punch from his upfield handle to slow a rush, and his balance issues in his kick step. The footwork and timing, with not only his punch but contact from said edge rushers, means he struggles to re-anchor in the rep.  As a result, he's walked back into DW quite a bit.  

At this point, if I can find even an average LT in trade or free agent, I wouldn't be apposed to kicking Wills back to the right and seeing if his college form works from his kinetically dominant (and natural) side.   We haven't paid him or Dawand yet, and I'm not about to move Jonesy to the left.  That would potentially weaken both position groups while yielding no answers for either. 

33 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Haven't gotten that far.  Dawand has reasons.

He's a rookie going against a top 5 edge rusher (depending on where you rank him) whose game isn't set to consistently handle those sorts of assignments. 

Jed is in his 4th season and was getting bull rushed by Markus Golden pretty bad. I just don't think he works on the left side.  The consistent problems that show up on every snap is the lack of initial punch from his upfield handle to slow a rush, and his balance issues in his kick step. The footwork and timing, with not only his punch but contact from said edge rushers, means he struggles to re-anchor in the rep.  As a result, he's walked back into DW quite a bit.  

At this point, if I can find even an average LT in trade or free agent, I wouldn't be apposed to kicking Wills back to the right and seeing if his college form works from his kinetically dominant (and natural) side.   We haven't paid him or Dawand yet, and I'm not about to move Jonesy to the left.  That would potentially weaken both position groups while yielding no answers for either. 

It's so odd that Wills has regressed this badly. His rookie year was pretty good, all downhill since. 

1 hour ago, Bob806 said:

It's so odd that Wills has regressed this badly. His rookie year was pretty good, all downhill since. 

I don't think it's regression in the classic sense.  His decline has been steady since late in his rookie season - the more the NFL can see about about you, the more they learn.  Small techniques, tendencies and situations become magnified.  

For example:  as brilliant as Joe Thomas was, he always struggled with the bull rush from Suggs.  T.S was elite in converting first step to power and Joe was never the road grader type.    

Jed struggles with the same, only to a much greater extent and for different reasons.   I just feel that he struggles on the left, and his talent is about maxed out there.    Unless he's dealing with a secret high ankle sprain, I have no other explanations.

This next part isn't at you, Bob. 

As an aside,  I don't believe the Minkah hit was dirty.  Because if I did think that, then I'd have to believe that TJ Ward intentionally tried to end Gronks career early back in 2013.  Which I don't believe is true either. 

Dropping your leverage as a DB onto a RB and going for a thigh pad from a slight angle is something I remember one of my smaller corners doing for the longest time.  I also remember a fight breaking out over it.  Wasn't intentionally dirty, but a lighter body has to get you on the ground.  

Downside, he ended up taking a nasty shot to the side and having a slightly punctured lung once.  Minkah is lucky the same didn't happen to him. 

• Upvote 1

I'll be online early this evening, around 5:30p EST, going over film from the Niners-Steelers week 1, and how that translated to our offensive designs against PIT in week 2.  I'll also be charting more snaps, trying to get grades locked in and done.       

Tomorrow for the Giants - Niners, I'll be home relaxing.   If anyone would like to join and use this as the de' facto Browns Board Tavern, you are more than welcomed to.   I'll be on this evening and next.   Remember, bullshit will not be tolerated despite only being lightly admin'd.  

https://discord.gg/FbMHEjch

I'm curious what happened on that 71 TD pass to Pickens, @tiamat63

The defense seems to be on the same page, the confusion at a minimum, but that play sure felt like a breakdown of either communication or someone wasn't on the same page. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm curious what happened on that 71 TD pass to Pickens, @tiamat63

The defense seems to be on the same page, the confusion at a minimum, but that play sure felt like a breakdown of either communication or someone wasn't on the same page. 

Was working on it as you typed.      I'll also tag @Flugel because he and I were just talking about Delpit being improved..       Tagging @bjh2130 since he asked me on discord.

Grant closed out 2022 fairly strong.  But the INT's he had, especially the two against WSH, we're gimmies.    He does great work as a nickel and dime safety and as the classic "box" roll.  He has his entire young career, dating back to LSU.   Great tackler, willing to be aggressive on run fits and he does a good job planting and triggering downhill.        But my concerns about him as a hash safety are still there, he loses himself on the field in terms of leverage and depth.  And has a severe tendency to get caught looking and driving in front of him as deep routes develop behind him.    As a pure middle field safety right now, he's a bit of a liability.    And the TD is just another example to those concerns.   

Schwartz dials up a cover 3 flavor.

Delpit1.thumb.jpg.9ab8e5da1d7c550bcc78e194a5d473e8.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

You get a go/flat weak and a drag/race post at the top.    

Delpit2.thumb.jpg.c811aa354e53840a6c72bdea739e8212.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS is exactly the moment Delpit gets in trouble, because he takes for granted that it doesn't take much, even for Kenny Pickett who was having an awful night,  to snatch back any moment you might have.    He got one pick earlier, and this was his eyes WIDE on the cheese looking for deuce.    

Delpit3.thumb.jpg.7e731290f86348183cb313f5e68e4176.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------

Delpit4.thumb.jpg.84d60ea2b7017e31b4845038dbcccb66.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delpit5.thumb.jpg.299a7f8ab93e4e4be44b08e7a94ea68c.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

Grant looks back and realizes he's been absolutely TOOK. 

Delpit6.thumb.jpg.4278cd6c354014368ced9535d35607f7.jpg

He's still working on being a complete DB.  Yes, at the fast eye he appears improved.  But when we dig deeper, what we find is that his strengths are being amplified while you have a DC working to mask his weaknesses.   Schwartz is good at letting Grant play aggressive downhill and in man coverage, which is why we've gotten the 'good' so far.   But this is the other side of the coin.     Problem with this is, if I've seen it, professional coaches and assistants are going to see it.   The Titans might not have the Oline and players to do it, but the Ravens and Niners are on deck afterward.    So I'm going to treat this sort of like basketball in a respect.  I'm going to use pre-snap motion on offense, much like a pick and roll, until I force safety rotation and I get Delpit as the single high.  Then I'm going to run concepts that will test his willingness to play intelligently before aggressively.       Let's say we get lucky and the Ravens passing game isn't quite where they feel it needs to be, I sure as fuck can guarantee you that Kyle Shanahan will have an absolute field day off of this vulnerability in 3 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

I'm still curious about our pass routes.  Does Watson actually have anyone he can throw the ball to when he drops back to pass?  

I know that at the end of last game he was looking for someone to tackle him...but that's because the Steelers could pin their ears back...and they're good at that...and we've got a rookie RT.  

6 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm still curious about our pass routes.  Does Watson actually have anyone he can throw the ball to when he drops back to pass?  

I know that at the end of last game he was looking for someone to tackle him...but that's because the Steelers could pin their ears back...and they're good at that...and we've got a rookie RT.  

Stefanski's pass offense baffles me.

What the hell are they doing with Elijah Moore? A smaller, super quick WR who for some reason was relegated to running 12 yard out patterns all night long. God forbid we actually run routes where a receiver catches the ball moving forward.

Dump passes at the LOS and out routes, with the occasional telegraphed deep pass. 

Just watch film of what the Texans did between 2018-2020, Kevin. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Aside from that, our Left Tackle was dominated all night long. @tiamat63 can show countless examples of this.  When both tackles are getting beat that bad, that often, you're gonna look like Joe Burrow did week 1 or Watson did week 2.  

I said all week to a lot of people that already had the Browns 2-0, we better have a plan for TJ Watt while I said all off-season I was worried about LT.  Maybe it's only a coincidence, but the 2 guys lined up over our LT and RT both scored TDs.  The one Watt scored on - Highsmith caused that fumble.  We might want to consider blocking those 2 guys next time.

16 minutes ago, Orion said:

lol...yeah, we should give that a little consideration.  :)

😆  Thanks for the laugh and knowing I needed it!

While it seems obvious Watson isn't the player he was in Houston - the situation on both edges has to get better or it isn't going to matter who is playing QB.  If you see the play Highsmith comes unblocked from the blind side with TJ Watt just as unblocked by Dawand Jones - it almost looked like a perfectly rehearsed strip and fumble recovery for the TD.

As bad as Watson was - even the slightest bit of help upfront might have prevented a 4 point loss.

8 hours ago, Flugel said:

😆  Thanks for the laugh and knowing I needed it!

While it seems obvious Watson isn't the player he was in Houston - the situation on both edges has to get better or it isn't going to matter who is playing QB.  If you see the play Highsmith comes unblocked from the blind side with TJ Watt just as unblocked by Dawand Jones - it almost looked like a perfectly rehearsed strip and fumble recovery for the TD.

As bad as Watson was - even the slightest bit of help upfront might have prevented a 4 point loss.

That's the crazy thing Flugs... the Browns lost by four.

Felt like forty, but it was one drive. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That's the crazy thing Flugs... the Browns lost by four.

Felt like forty, but it was one drive. 

I hear ya!  If Cleveland's offense kept Pittsburgh's defense from scoring 2 TDs on them - they would have won by 10 points.  Philosophically speaking, it sounds outrageous...   

This game was a lot like Buffalo losing to the Jets because of all Josh Allen's turnovers on a night backup QB Zach Wilson struggled to move the Jets' offense with any consistency.   Buffalo bounced back and won the next week. 

In a league where adversity defines teams over a 17 game season - how will THIS team respond?  

• Upvote 2

On 9/20/2023 at 8:59 PM, Orion said:

Someone last year, it might have been you or someone else, made a point I haven't forgotten.  The point was Paul Depodesta isn't interested in short passes - he wants a vertical game.   That can work really well when you have an Art Shell at LT and a Gene Upshaw at LG on the blindside of QB.  The Browns didn't look like they had an Art Shell on Monday Night so?   They might want to have their WRs understanding how to help a QB under duress in the pocket like Houston did when Watson took his team to the playoffs in both of his 1st 2 seasons while also making the Pro Bowl.

What's changed?  The guy in charge of the Offense that Paul Depodesta wants in Cleveland.  There doesn't seem to be a playbook that includes all of the receiving routes in the passing routes tree.  Why would this be important?  Timing and chemistry anyone?  The Cleveland Browns say "no thanks" while the Pittsburgh Steelers said "many thanks!"  When the QB is flushed to his left - a lot of the receiving help was either too deep or too far out of his vision headed toward the hashes on the right side of the field and beyond. Make sense?  It shouldn't!    

There is no 6'5" Mike Evans in this passing game that was capable of getting a party animal like Johnny Blutarsky-Manziel a Heisman Trophy or making Baker feel like he's finally blessed with the right situation for success.  Regardless of where anyone stands, the problems with the offense haven't changed since Haslam arrived.  The choice of QBs has only been 50% of the problem.  The empowered Management has Paul Depodesta holding the offense hostage to a very obligated HC knowing he was Front Office Depo's guy.  So, here we are.

It's sad because our defense also has to hear the old "we just gotta work harder."  They're paid extremely well to be professiona1 so how about "We, from the top down, have to start working smarter."  Start with a competent plan so our Receivers actually know what is expected of them in every given situation while the QB is on the same page.  No evidence.  

While this is already getting outdated to the frequency of shot-gun snaps - the old 3 step drop had a route tree of throws to be made within that allotted time of drop back.  That's how timing and chemistry is born.  It has to be allowed and enabled though.  There was also the intermediate stuff from a 5 step drop with applicable pass routes that fit the amount of time of the drop-back so the release takes place on the 5th step plant and fire.  Then the 7th drop with our 2 out of shape Offensive Tackles not getting our of their stances on time wouldn't work anyway with our lazy edges. All that said, the shot gun formations are supposed to improve the QB's vision and peripheral vision of the defense and where he anticipates ideal opportunities for the pre-determined routes and/or the possible route adjustments.  It just hasn't helped any timing and chemistry thus far. This stuff is in the film rooms of the rest of our opponents. Even worse, the amount of resources and draft picks given up to acquire Watson are currently preventing us from addressing a major weakness at Left Tackle while our RT just got welcomed to the NFL... Gotta get out of your stance on every play in this league...

The more things change - the more they stay the same here.  This FO didn't bring us the Pro Bowl/Playoff bound QB Houston had - they're giving you the version this FO envisioned for success.  Today, he's more confused just like our Receivers looked...  Working harder under those circumstances is like someone with all the wrong mechanics just playing more golf without ever identifying the problem that needs fixing.  We're back to the same "gotta work harder" we heard when this team only won 1 out of 32 games.  My advice?  Send Paul Depodesta packing today.  See if Stefanski and Offensive Coaches can resolve this shit without his major interference.  Does Haslam have the balls?  

26 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Send Paul Depodesta packing today.  See if Stefanski and Offensive Coaches can resolve this shit without his major interference.  Does Haslam have the balls?  

Nothing worse than a questionable baseball guy being a total dufus as a football wannabe guy. Adios Albatross.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Someone last year, it might have been you or someone else, made a point I haven't forgotten.  The point was Paul Depodesta isn't interested in short passes - he wants a vertical game.   That can work really well when you have an Art Shell at LT and a Gene Upshaw at LG on the blindside of QB.  The Browns didn't look like they had an Art Shell on Monday Night so?   They might want to have their WRs understanding how to help a QB under duress in the pocket like Houston did when Watson took his team to the playoffs in both of his 1st 2 seasons while also making the Pro Bowl.

What's changed?  The guy in charge of the Offense that Paul Depodesta wants in Cleveland.  There doesn't seem to be a playbook that includes all of the receiving routes in the passing routes tree.  Why would this be important?  Timing and chemistry anyone?  The Cleveland Browns say "no thanks" while the Pittsburgh Steelers said "many thanks!"  When the QB is flushed to his left - a lot of the receiving help was either too deep or too far out of his vision headed toward the hashes on the right side of the field and beyond. Make sense?  It shouldn't!    

There is no 6'5" Mike Evans in this passing game that was capable of getting a party animal like Johnny Blutarsky-Manziel a Heisman Trophy or making Baker feel like he's finally blessed with the right situation for success.  Regardless of where anyone stands, the problems with the offense haven't changed since Haslam arrived.  The choice of QBs has only been 50% of the problem.  The empowered Management has Paul Depodesta holding the offense hostage to a very obligated HC knowing he was Front Office Depo's guy.  So, here we are.

It's sad because our defense also has to hear the old "we just gotta work harder."  They're paid extremely well to be professiona1 so how about "We, from the top down, have to start working smarter."  Start with a competent plan so our Receivers actually know what is expected of them in every given situation while the QB is on the same page.  No evidence.  

While this is already getting outdated to the frequency of shot-gun snaps - the old 3 step drop had a route tree of throws to be made within that allotted time of drop back.  That's how timing and chemistry is born.  It has to be allowed and enabled though.  There was also the intermediate stuff from a 5 step drop with applicable pass routes that fit the amount of time of the drop-back so the release takes place on the 5th step plant and fire.  Then the 7th drop with our 2 out of shape Offensive Tackles not getting our of their stances on time wouldn't work anyway with our lazy edges. All that said, the shot gun formations are supposed to improve the QB's vision and peripheral vision of the defense and where he anticipates ideal opportunities for the pre-determined routes and/or the possible route adjustments.  It just hasn't helped any timing and chemistry thus far. This stuff is in the film rooms of the rest of our opponents. Even worse, the amount of resources and draft picks given up to acquire Watson are currently preventing us from addressing a major weakness at Left Tackle while our RT just got welcomed to the NFL... Gotta get out of your stance on every play in this league...

The more things change - the more they stay the same here.  This FO didn't bring us the Pro Bowl/Playoff bound QB Houston had - they're giving you the version this FO envisioned for success.  Today, he's more confused just like our Receivers looked...  Working harder under those circumstances is like someone with all the wrong mechanics just playing more golf without ever identifying the problem that needs fixing.  We're back to the same "gotta work harder" we heard when this team only won 1 out of 32 games.  My advice?  Send Paul Depodesta packing today.  See if Stefanski and Offensive Coaches can resolve this shit without his major interference.  Does Haslam have the balls?  

No , Haslam is chicken shit charley

• Haha 1