THE BROWNS BOARD

T.Official 🏈  - NFL WEEK 11 -  PIT 10 (+1) -at- ★ CLE 13  Game #10 🏈  Nov. 19★ "7-3"

Dutch Oven

10 minutes ago, syd said:

when we make the playoffs he should get coach of the year.Again

He should, but he won't.

I used to be a sports writer and I kinda know how they think. Coach Campbell and the Lions are a more compelling story to them than us overcoming our injuries to make the playoffs.

Stefanski should get some votes though.

1 minute ago, Bowser76 said:

He should, but he won't.

I used to be a sports writer and I kinda know how they think. Coach Campbell and the Lions are a more compelling story to them than us overcoming our injuries to make the playoffs.

i'm cool with that . but it would be nice just to shut the haters up

Great job by the Browns Defense!  ('cept for the one gaff)   They did everything but score points.  Well, ok, they actually DID score points but they didn't give them to us and we didn't request that they give them to us.

DTR had another bad game.  The whole 2nd half he led his team backwards.  But damned if he didn't lead his team downfield for the winning FG at the end when it was all on the line.  Go figure.  Give him a game ball for that.  Some encouragement to take into next week.  Then sign somebody to replace him.  :) 

Why did we call TO with 20 seconds left?  Why didn't we just run it down to 3 seconds and kick the FG?   Instead of all the drama?  And another flag during the winning FG kick.  Are the refs trying to cause heart attacks?  

Just a total gutsy win by the Browns Defense!   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bowser76 said:

He should, but he won't.

Considering just how inept the Lions have been and for how long, Campbell getting COTY is perfectly fine with me.  All media awards in general I really couldn't give a shit about.  Wins and playoffs are where it's at.  Although sometimes the recognition, including Myles getting DPOTY, would really be nice.

That said, who really needs to recognize the coaching job, probably more than anyone - are Browns fans themselves.  We're a couple bad bounces off turnovers at wrong times away from 8-2 possibly even 9-1.   That includes a QB just starting to find his game, injuries to your starting RT and all-pro RB.   This success has been a combination of good coaching, effort, and being on the receiving end of a little good fortune of our own.  

Even using backups, this team has one loss on the season outside of a single score - the Ravens 27-3.     That includes two double digit holes they had to climb out of for wins with San Fran and the Ravens last week.  

This team has been bad for so damn long, a playoff push made us impatient and wanting to build Rome overnight. There is still a bit of "same old browns" in the air.    Even being 9-8, with some wildcard appearances and wins, goes a long way towards erasing those memories and building a culture where Cleveland at least becomes snyonomous with being competitive and worth the watch.   How many times did we shut off TV's on Sunday's and go do yard work while we chugged along to 3-13? Exactly.          Stefs first season, go to the playoffs.  2021 happens and things turn sour.  2022, and if you didn't have a defensive line that wouldn't even start in the Pac-12, and you're likely looking at another wildcard shot with Jacoby Brissett as your QB.    

Here were are in 2023, even with a ton of injuries, still in playoff contention. Hell, possibly still even winning the damn division, while heading into week 12.   That is not the usual for this squad for 20 years, and it needs to be appreciated.  

As for the game itself.   Both coaches, Stef and Tomlin, played a game that was Tresselball in a nutshell.  Patience, defense, punting and field position, not wanting to risk any turnovers.   

The downside being that, once again sometimes our defense can't take themselves out of the aggressive mode.  This is why I referenced Jaylen Warren in prop bets.   This defense lives off pure Havoc rating.  They thrive on TFL, TFNG, sacks, PD and turnovers.   But when they're not creating those, they have a nasty tendency to give up big plays doing so.  Something we're just going to have to learn to live with, I suppose.   

Still, I'm damn proud of this team and happy at the win.  Everyone enjoy their holiday, eat a ton of food, watch a ton of football, and most importantly - Fuck *ichigan.   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, bbedward said:

I hope DTR matures quickly, but the lack of throwing downfield when the Steelers were pressing hard for multiple drives in a row is questionable. Lost confidence after his first go, misreading the defense, who knows. 

25 minutes ago, bbedward said:

For the Watson haters, this is probably a 3 score game with Watson behind center. DTR just wouldn’t challenge the secondary all game even when it was open.

Stef won't get much credit for the few little things that went right today.. Example? When the Ford quit running than catching? He got Hunt in there at perfect timing today.

Stef saw DTR w/1's since Wednesday.. Stef won't get credit for trusting his defense to win this game either.. They DiD ! see Stef's safe shorter play call sheet of today. It was going to be a short game grinder, when asked to pass.

Berry needs to deliver on getting Stef a Joe Flacco regardless of cost now... PJ Walker ain't Flacco at age 50.. It's now or never on a 2 QB run 

• Like 1

Just now, gumby73 said:

Stef won't get much credit for the few little things that went right today.. Example? When the Ford quit running than catching? He got Hunt in there at perfect timing today.

Stef saw DTR w/1's since Wednesday.. Stef won't get credit for trusting his defense to win this game either.. They DiD ! see Stef's safe shorter play call sheet of today. It was going to be a short game grinder, when asked to pass.

Berry needs to deliver on getting Stef a Joe Flacco regardless of cost now... PJ Walker ain't Flacco at age 50.. It's now or never on a 2 QB run 

I expect Flacco announcement tomorrow. Old man Flacco is a statue but he can damn sure throw it 65 yards downfield with accuracy. I could see stefanski going with a QB by committee approach 

1 hour ago, bbedward said:

I expect Flacco announcement tomorrow. Old man Flacco is a statue but he can damn sure throw it 65 yards downfield with accuracy. I could see stefanski going with a QB by committee approach 

Stef can & will coach up any QB, including game plans that #6 didn't like..

It's Berry, that can't blame turnovers,, than black-ball Stef into counting on PJ Walker trotting back out there

DTR's is/looks like a rookie 5th round QB pick.. Berry better have a better comp than PJ Walker before we travel to Denver.. The plan was to stay out West (Denver), to than travel straight to play in LA next..

stay tuned     

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Patient offense, nothing bold, safe and smart throws.  Playing field position and grinding things down.   

So far, can't complain.  

See below, I can...   

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Only so much you can do against 9 man fronts. 

Steeler defense Sunday in a nutshell...  Allow me to quote a Ghoolieism....  

CLASSIC MARTY TURTLE BALL.... HEY, SHITPANSKI, WHY DIDN'T YOU TRY AT LEAST ONE LONG BOMB TO KEEP THE STEELERS (DECIMATED SECONDARY) DEFENSE FROM SITTING ON THOSE DINK AND DUNK ROUTES THAT YOU WERE CALLING ALL DAY?  HMMM? YOU'RE LUCKY AS HELL NONE OF THOSE OUT ROUTES DIDN'T TURN INTO A GAME KILLING PICK SIX.   

Yeah, I'm way glad we won, but that was shitty play calling MHO.  🤬

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

You're probably not wrong. But we're going to come from behind in this game if we win and DTR can't do that. I can promise you everything I own, there's absolutely no way DTR can lead us to victory against the Steelers in the 4th quarter. PJ at least has done it against other teams, despite being lucky. 

LOL, I hope no one took you up on that bet.   :D   Four for four on the game winner.  

Just now, Neo said:

This game completely highlights what Watson means to the team. Fuck the haters, Watson has proved his value to the team.

I agree. It's hard not to think about what could have been, but football is a cruel sport. Every team in the league is missing vital players, but if Browns somehow got super lucky, what do they look like with Chubb and Watson playing? 

Just now, hoorta said:

LOL, I hope no one took you up on that bet.   :D   Four for four on the game winner.  

I couldn't see it. I literally couldn't envision it whatsoever. It's surreal we won that game when we basically "out-steelered the Steelers". The ONLY thing is, I was basically DOUBLE wrong. I thought we'd be down 3-6 points and DTR was going to have to come from BEHIND. 😂

7 minutes ago, hoorta said:

See below, I can...   

CLASSIC MARTY TURTLE BALL.... HEY, SHITPANSKI, WHY DIDN'T YOU TRY AT LEAST ONE LONG BOMB TO KEEP THE STEELERS (DECIMATED SECONDARY) DEFENSE FROM SITTING ON THOSE DINK AND DUNK ROUTES THAT YOU WERE CALLING ALL DAY?  HMMM? YOU'RE LUCKY AS HELL NONE OF THOSE OUT ROUTES DIDN'T TURN INTO A GAME KILLING PICK SIX.   

Was it the plays or was it DTR not looking at the downfield options, retrospect in the tape will tell I guess 

Holy shit, what a game to be at!

I haven't looked through the game thread but I have to ask, how the hell was that first quarter sack on Pickett not a safety? It happened right in front of us, and even on the replay it seemed like he was definitely in the endzone. Hell, the following play looked like it might have been close to being a safety too(?)

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, VaporTrail said:

Man, that's crazy. Didn't we just barely squeak into the playoffs by beating Pit the last week? 

A deep playoff field that year, and losing to the Jets in Week 16 because COVID snatched up all our receivers less than 24 hours before kickoff made things more difficult than they needed to be.

41 minutes ago, hoorta said:

See below, I can...   

Totally agree.. Kevin almost lost the game for us...

35 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I haven't looked through the game thread but I have to ask, how the hell was that first quarter sack on Pickett not a safety? It happened right in front of us, and even on the replay it seemed like he was definitely in the endzone. Hell, the following play looked like it might have been close to being a safety too(?)

They(announcers) said he wasn't in the end zone when Garret made contact, but retracted after they said the ball was in fact in the end zone at the time. In other words, no one has any idea how that wasn't a safety.

The announcers were very annoying the entire game.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Was it the plays or was it DTR not looking at the downfield options, retrospect in the tape will tell I guess 

At the game, it seemed like DTR was very reluctant to hold on to the ball very long. I think it was drilled into his head to make a read and hit the safety valve if needed, and boy, that he did. He didn't take many sacks, but he probably sacrificed the ability to go downfield numerous times. The offense was, well, offensive to watch for about 2 and a half quarters. Really got bogged down.

That and I'm pretty sure Njoku dropped like five balls today. Rough day for him. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Can't believe you were there. What a game! Kevin didn't give a great answer on why he didn't challenge. I think he said he threw the flag but ref didn't see it? I dunno, it was rather embarrassing. But whatever, we beat Baltimore and Pittsburgh back to back. I can't really remember ever doing that. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bbedward said:

Only Cleveland fans will bitch about one of the best coaches in the league.

This will be hard to believe, but there's Browns fans on this board who seem happier when they lose.

It's crazy, but it's absolutely true. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Can't believe you were there. What a game! Kevin didn't give a great answer on why he didn't challenge. I think he said he threw the flag but ref didn't see it? I dunno, it was rather embarrassing. But whatever, we beat Baltimore and Pittsburgh back to back. I can't really remember ever doing that. 

The atmosphere was amazing. 

So many sad Steelers fans crying in their piss yellow towels.

It was beautiful! 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, syd said:

helluva victory 

Sure was syd,  I was glad my brother from Cleveland came down to Boardman to watch it with me.

Fan-tastic finish.  CLE  13   PIT 10    Oh yes !