THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

As many decent seniors as there are in the draft, I'd think many of the underclassmen will stay in school...

Watched David Fales (Sr. @ SJST) warm up last nite and then his first two series. First I'd seen of him and I was kinda intrigued by what I saw, but too tired (and disinterested in the game) to stay up.

He's lost a lot of the momentum he had built up with some shaky games. I watched a game of his a couple weeks ago and he never really impressed me.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's lost a lot of the momentum he had built up with some shaky games. I watched a game of his a couple weeks ago and he never really impressed me.

Mechanics looked strong... although they seemed tighter in warm up than in the series (reached back further in the game).

Fales has a light-ish arm. I bet he goes in the fifth, makes a team as a backup.

The more I think about it, the less I think there's anything Campbell can do to stop the Browns from taking their long-term guy very early, assuming they dig someone. I just don't think the Browns intend to have this many picks or win fewer games for quite some time and it's a really nice QB draft with five guys or so worth taking in the first round.

Could Campbell start for two more years? Sure. He'd be all of 33 in 2015 on a team likely to be loaded with talent. And Johnny Manziel or Brett Hundley would be 23. I think if we draft Carr at 10 or something (in a trade up), he's gonna start sooner than either of those two youngsters.

RG3 is not the answer in Washington.

We may have killed Walrus for not pulling the trigger.. but he was correct to not get RG3.

Washington is just above Cleveland in offensive QB rating over at ColdHardFootball. They're better in realQB rating bc of RG3's rushing.

Washington is #2 in rushing, just below AP.. but their passing is essentially no different from Cleveland this year.

So... all those picks sent to StL and washington is getting THE SAME passing performance from the QB position as Cleveland this year.

RG3 is not the answer in Washington.

We may have killed Walrus for not pulling the trigger.. but he was correct to not get RG3.

Washington is just above Cleveland in offensive QB rating over at ColdHardFootball. They're better in realQB rating bc of RG3's rushing.

Washington is #2 in rushing, just below AP.. but their passing is essentially no different from Cleveland this year.

So... all those picks sent to StL and washington is getting THE SAME passing performance from the QB position as Cleveland this year.

the walrus tried his damnest to get RG3 and there's no doubt in my mind that if we had him with this coaching staff wed be way better off....

the walrus tried his damnest to get RG3 and there's no doubt in my mind that if we had him with this coaching staff wed be way better off....

you watching him play today?

the guy looks like a piece of shit. the redskins are kicking themselves in the ass right now for picking him. no more confidence and is a total diva.

The Browns might draft two guys at QB. It's possible. I could see one in the top 10, another in round 5-ish.

Campbell looked so shitty yesterday, so much like I've seen him play before, I just pray it was the ribs and not a return to who he really is. But something tells me the Ravens game was Fool's Gold.

The Browns might draft two guys at QB. It's possible. I could see one in the top 10, another in round 5-ish.

If that were to happen, I will throat punch the first stranger I see. Taking a QB in the top 10 means that we traded away our late 1st round pick, as well as another pick(s), and then we take another QB in round 5?? Holy shit, this is the kind of stuff that keeps us as the AFC North's bitch.

We have a young, improving team that looks to be headed in the right direction, and Ricky Williamsing the draft for a complete and total unknown QB that simply "projects" to be a good NFL QB by all of the draft gurus, would be the absolute worst thing this team could do, and as Browns fans, we know that's saying A LOT.

The Skins are looking pretty good right now at 3-7, with no draft help coming up aren't they? Meanwhile Seattle and San Fran seem to be doing pretty well with their stout teams, lead by great young QBs that all of the draft gurus overlooked, but yet the teams' own scouting department did not.

Seriously, I will need bail money if your scenario were to come true.

Campbell is just another one of those players with limitations that cause him to lose his game

when things get tough. Whether physically, mentally, emotionally...whatever.

Campbell plays with zero fire. Maybe even a -3 on a scale of 100. He doesn't make mistakes,

cya style, but he gave up the game when he stepped onto the field, and things

weren't going easy for him.

I call him a paycheck player. I think Derek Carr and others are second half first round,

first half second round players. I predict there's no way the Browns will trade up for any qb

in this next draft. Unless Bryce comes out. Then I would.

But this last game shows some weaknesses that Cincy exploited. They manned-to-manned, knowing

that they could intimidate Campbell into playing it safe with dumpoffs, because he doesn't give a crap.

And I can't believe they didn't see that Lanning has a slower, deliberate delivery. He's nearly had some

blocked in the past. And they bet they could get to him. With a soggy field...too bad. Embarrassing

when the bad things happen.

But these Browns are for real, and Canton Mike and I watched them batter the ratbirds into

submission on a good day, Cincy's a very, very talented team.

Our defense is stellar, needs a legit other shutdown cb maybe, and a couple of lbs to learn

under our present starters.

We need a big, solid guard that can pull. A Sammy Watkins type of receiver who can do

what Ward and Swann and Warfield did for those winning teams. A wr with explosive quickness,

with the ability to get open. I really like Evans? the tall guy in the draft, but I don't think

he's that guy either.

Campbell isn't a starter. The Browns started Hoyer to give them a spark, because Campbell

plays like a cold, wet, soggy match. The Browns may very well draft two qbs, as some of us have

said.

A first rounder, and a 4th or 5th rounder, to develop. But Hoyer will start next year, barring any

setback physically.

Somebody should write an open letter to Petty to encourage him to enter the draft. He'll probably stay in school......

But it's a team game. And unless you have the rest of your team stacked with talent, you do NOT pay a big price

to trade up. Not even RGiii can make the Redskins go to the playoffs by himself.

The Browns are about 4 players from being stacked. Things are really looking up. But somebody needs to sit

down with Campbell, and tell him flat out to man up and grow a pair....

The Bengals were all-in completely aggressive, like the Browns were last game vs the ratbirds.

Campbell undermined the offense, as well as the players involved in the other mistakes. It happens.

Other players were at least tryiing to make something happen. Yes, Campbell did throw a very nice throw

downfield. One doesn't make it. I'd keep Weeds as a backup, because he will go for it and try.

Which isn't saying that I want to see him play again much more than Campbell.

Last note: I can't believe Lanning didn't change his ways and get a quicker punt off, after the first

one was blocked. Seriously?

Let's face it - without Hoyer, Benjamin, Pinkston, and Dion Lewis,, the Browns offense

is playing under a significant handicap. I think they will bounce back next week.

You can't "Rick Williams" when trading up to get a quarterback. One is senseless, the other is common wisdom across the NFL: If you don't have The Guy at QB, you do whatever it takes to get him because everything else added together still isn't as important in today's NFL.

The Browns with a really good quarterback would be a dramatically different team. Hell, the Browns with Brian Hoyer were a different team, imagine if we had a serious guy?!

The Browns have tons of equity to upgrade ordinary positions in the offseason. I dead solid guarantee you job #1 will be finding a way to finally get That Guy under center for the Browns (whoever they think that is). Getting That Guy (which, as the most valuable thing requires commitment of draft picks and dollars) is NOT "the kind of thing that keeps the Browns in the cellar."

The thing that keeps teams in the cellar is NOT having a great quarterback. Period. The Browns have started like 400 Not The Guys since the return, often trying to use castoffs (Dilfer, Garcia, Delhomme) or lower picks (Frye, McCoy, even Weeden) and then just wish real hard they play like elite signal callers.

It's not hard for us to add a WR, a RB, or a RG. As Chuckie said, all that gets real easy when you have your QB. But this brass is different, just like our owner. The first thing they say, over and over and over, is, "We have to get our quarterback." They get it. They understand.

No need to punch strangers. The Browns will home in on the guy they think is the absolute best draftable quarterback for this team and find a way to get him (maybe not Bridgewater). And it's absolutely the right thing to do. We'll have scads of other picks and free agency dollars to upgrade a few other starting positions.

Has anyone noticed that the three teams we got our coaches from, have all improved without em?

You mean the Chargers from whence we got Norv, the Cardinals from whence we got Horton, and the Panthers from whence we got Chud?

On the Cardinals, the differene in that team is that they finally got a decent QB in Carson Palmer. The defense hasn't particularly improved.

And vice versa on the Panthers. The big difference on that team is the performance of their defense, not the offense.

As for the Chargers, you are wrong. Last year after 10 games the Chargers were 4-6. This year after 10 game they are also 4-6. They ended the year 7-9.

With the resto of the Chargers schedule they will be lucky to come close to that. The opponents in the last 6 games are: The Chiefs twice, Broncos, Bengals, Giants, and Raiders. Only against the Raiders will they be favored...perhaps.

You can't "Rick Williams" when trading up to get a quarterback. One is senseless, the other is common wisdom across the NFL: If you don't have The Guy at QB, you do whatever it takes to get him because everything else added together still isn't as important in today's NFL.

The Browns with a really good quarterback would be a dramatically different team. Hell, the Browns with Brian Hoyer were a different team, imagine if we had a serious guy?!

The Browns have tons of equity to upgrade ordinary positions in the offseason. I dead solid guarantee you job #1 will be finding a way to finally get That Guy under center for the Browns (whoever they think that is). Getting That Guy (which, as the most valuable thing requires commitment of draft picks and dollars) is NOT "the kind of thing that keeps the Browns in the cellar."

The thing that keeps teams in the cellar is NOT having a great quarterback. Period. The Browns have started like 400 Not The Guys since the return, often trying to use castoffs (Dilfer, Garcia, Delhomme) or lower picks (Frye, McCoy, even Weeden) and then just wish real hard they play like elite signal callers.

It's not hard for us to add a WR, a RB, or a RG. As Chuckie said, all that gets real easy when you have your QB. But this brass is different, just like our owner. The first thing they say, over and over and over, is, "We have to get our quarterback." They get it. They understand.

No need to punch strangers. The Browns will home in on the guy they think is the absolute best draftable quarterback for this team and find a way to get him (maybe not Bridgewater). And it's absolutely the right thing to do. We'll have scads of other picks and free agency dollars to upgrade a few other starting positions.

You keep assuming that the guy we pick is automatically, by default, not even a question, going to be the next Andrew Luck, when he just as easy could be the next Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf, and in fact, the odds are better that he is nothing more than one of those two. As you said, look how much better the team looked with Hoyer. How do we know he's not the answer? We don't. I'm not saying he is, but it's as good of a possibility he is as the 1st QB taken in the draft will be. If we spend it all, and go all in on the next John Elway, and miss, it will set us back 5 more years, and that's being conservative.

"It's not hard for us to add a WR, a RB" Don't tell the Browns that, as we have failed pretty miserably so far at something that's supposed to be "not hard".

so you would trade away picks to get brian hoyer? who before lomabardi brought him in was almost out of football? hell weeden looked good in college, so did your loverboy quinn (well, not THAT great) and din't we trade up to get him? just remember one thing when talking about drafting QBs: tom brady.

You keep assuming that the guy we pick is automatically, by default, not even a question, going to be the next Andrew Luck, when he just as easy could be the next Tim Couch or Ryan Leaf, and in fact, the odds are better that he is nothing more than one of those two. As you said, look how much better the team looked with Hoyer. How do we know he's not the answer? We don't. I'm not saying he is, but it's as good of a possibility he is as the 1st QB taken in the draft will be. If we spend it all, and go all in on the next John Elway, and miss, it will set us back 5 more years, and that's being conservative.

"It's not hard for us to add a WR, a RB" Don't tell the Browns that, as we have failed pretty miserably so far at something that's supposed to be "not hard".

this^ 1000%

we have either hired the worse personnel in the biz since '99 or not paid enough attention to finishing one side of the line. instead we're picking all over the place. finish the defense. what are we 2 players away from being one of the best in the league? doesn't that make sense? then finish and replace half the OL, get another stud WR, see what we have sitting there in the 4th at RB and if by some miraculous act of god

'some golden-haired surfer boy QB" is staring at us in the face somewhere that doesn't cost us anything to pick, then i'm all for it.

don't we have a QB on our roster already that everbody loved? what are we going to do, cut him?

Exactly: The Browns ARE that team that makes it hard to find other positions BECAUSE they don't have Luck or Stafford or Wilson or Manning or Brady or Brees or Rodgers. That's exactly the point Chuckie was making: When you have a really good quarterback, suddenly your line and receivers look better.

Think of DA coming in for Frye. For about 8 games, we had great receivers and awesome pass protection. Think of Hoyer coming in for Weeden. Suddenly our line was "really improving." Well, fancy that!

The only way to make sure you DON'T find your franchise quarterback is to not try. Seriously talented QBs have been flowing into the league over the last 5-7 years and their time will come (Flacco's already did). Looks like the Bills got their guy last year. Starting to feel like Tampa did, too.

There isn't a GM alive living by your philosophy: "If we try to draft a great quarterback, we might miss, so we've decided as an organization to not try. We're gonna keep finding Delhommes and Fryes and Colts and Garcias and just keep fuckin' that chicken, okay? Okay."

The Browns absolutely will be crazy aggressive going after the quarterback they believe in come May. They will not sit back or decide what they really need is a really highly rated guard. Everybody anywhere near the Browns knows what they'll do in the next draft and why they accumulated all those picks. It's a matter of... which one?

I was not "slobbering," no. Wasn't an enormous Geno fan, really feared the questions about his maturity and intelligence. Meanwhile, I did get some E.J. fever late in the game when he interviewed his ass off and killed at the board. I thought if the Browns did draft a quarterback, it might be Manuel. He's looking very good right now.

I loved Foles and Manuel for the Browns the last two drafts. Foles is now officially the top passer in the NFL by Passer Rating (just qualified) and Manuel is looking damn good. If not Tannehill, my second choice was Foles with our early 2nd round pick. Turns out we could've had him early third.

This year, I'm floating around a few guys but I think my favorite is Manziel. Hearing Brees and Aikman both stand up for him sways me quite a bit. Aikman, especially, seriously understands football. I like the guy.

I was not "slobbering," no. Wasn't an enormous Geno fan, really feared the questions about his maturity and intelligence. Meanwhile, I did get some E.J. fever late in the game when he interviewed his ass off and killed at the board. I thought if the Browns did draft a quarterback, it might be Manuel. He's looking very good right now.

I loved Foles and Manuel for the Browns the last two drafts. Foles is now officially the top passer in the NFL by Passer Rating (just qualified) and Manuel is looking damn good. If not Tannehill, my second choice was Foles with our early 2nd round pick. Turns out we could've had him early third.

This year, I'm floating around a few guys but I think my favorite is Manziel. Hearing Brees and Aikman both stand up for him sways me quite a bit. Aikman, especially, seriously understands football. I like the guy.

I guess I am a QB guru too Shep, as I too thought Foles may make a good pick in the second round for the Browns. They of course went for Weeden instead. I thought Osweiler was intriguing as well...but who knows how that comes out.

Everyone was on the top two guys Luck/RG. Wilson was not really not on my radar, so that one slipped by me. I wasn't that high on Tannehill.

Not discounting the opinion of either Brees or Aikman but what do you think the Manning family opinion is of young Johnny Cash Football?

Sheps love of Quarterbacks (Clausen, Sanchez, etc.) is pretty dismal.

Campbell looked so shitty yesterday, so much like I've seen him play before, I just pray it was the ribs and not a return to who he really is. But something tells me the Ravens game was Fool's Gold.

... and three days ago Campbell was the guy for the next three years... :blink:

I knew someone would cc the 'Skins sooner or later.

If that were to happen, I will throat punch the first stranger I see.

LOL...

But this last game shows some weaknesses that Cincy exploited. They manned-to-manned, knowing that they could intimidate Campbell into playing it safe with dumpoffs, because he doesn't give a crap.

Not to defend Campbell, but I assumed they went man because they knew our receivers could not separate.

This year, I'm floating around a few guys but I think my favorite is Manziel.

Floating? Is that what you call it?

Not discounting the opinion of either Brees or Aikman but what do you think the Manning family opinion is of young Johnny Cash Football?

They are from the South.....me thinks they like Johnny Cash.;)

I never said the Browns should stick with Campbell for three years. I raised the discussion, the "what it?" We always struggle with the distinction on boards. If you say, "Hey, what about...?" It means you're 100% invested in that concept. It's really tough to deal in nuance!

Tour, I didn't get the, "That's what you call it?" You mean, it's bad to ponder a number of draftable quarterbacks in November, bounce between discussing each of their merits, consider the possibility, go down the road? Why is that bad? In what way? Or did I misunderstand you?

Diehard, you know compared to most my QB judging status is pretty spectacular. Even guys like Mayock (who moved Clausen into his top 20 late) have plenty of misses. Holmgren drafted David Greene and Colt McCoy and traded for Charlie Frye. In context, I'm among the best in the known universe and your mind cannot comprehend my powers. BWAAAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAH!

Mortals. Whatever.

Archived