THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Johnny Manziel is my pick of the litter right now. But only if he falls to us. I was a big Johnny Football hater before the season started but the guy can flat out ball and its obvious his teammates love him. He also may have the most poise and the most football smarts of the bunch. Unless his hands measure too small, sign me up.

Mariota just put up a stinker. I am still yet to see anything from him other than size and speed... He throws to wide open receivers, and has no pocket presence... not an NFL QB right now IMO, but I'd take a 2nd round risk on him if he fell as a developmental guy... Definitely not worth either of our 1st round picks...

Thats the thing with these fast Quarterbacks there not smart

I feel like you are making a little bit of a generalization with fast quarterbacks here..

Andrew Luck runs a 4.67 40, 4th fastest QB at the 2012 combine. I'd say he's a pretty smart quarterback.

Johnny Manziel is my pick of the litter right now. But only if he falls to us. I was a big Johnny Football hater before the season started but the guy can flat out ball and its obvious his teammates love him. He also may have the most poise and the most football smarts of the bunch. Unless his hands measure too small, sign me up.

Bridgewater, Carr, and Manziel look like the 1st rounders right now... maybe Hundley if he continues to play well and decides to come out... This "strong QB draft" is starting to thin itself out as the season unfolds...

I will say Mettenberger vs. McCarron will be interesting, as both of these guys are having VERY respectable seasons... McCarron is doing nothing but winning, so I agree with an earlier poster that he is somebody to watch when the draft process really kicks up...

I will say Mettenberger vs. McCarron will be interesting, as both of these guys are having VERY respectable seasons... McCarron is doing nothing but winning, so I agree with an earlier poster that he is somebody to watch when the draft process really kicks up...

I keep picturing the very average 2012 Mettenberger and thinking he's posting a career year in 2013 that he will never rise to again...

Just a feeling...

Looking forward to Mettenberger vs. Bama. Should tell us a lot.

correction, Alabama is doing nothing but winning. McCarron hasn't been asked to put this team on his shoulders.....like ever. He has the best of everything around him and yet still doesnt excell. Gotta be very cautious when evaluating QB's on dominate teams.

If Mariota decides not to declare, it changes a LOT. Manziel, Carr, and Mettenberger all move up. Hell, it probably stops Tajh's precipitous slide! Teams start offering crazy wacked-out deals for Nick Foles in hopes that Chip is an idiot who only wants HIS quarterback.

That said, I think Mariota does declare because he'll be a top 10 grade no matter what... and recent history has agents telling these guys not to risk coming back.

On the other board, I read a quote from Ray Farmer saying he believes Brian Hoyer can play "championship caliber quarterback." I find that kind of fascinating. I still find it hard to believe the Browns won't draft a quarterback in round one (and I'm thinking Manziel today, but who knows about tomorrow?)... but I'm getting the feeling the Browns really deeply believe Brian Hoyer can be The Man. It starts with Lombardi but it's radiated to Chud and Farmer and, I assume, Banner.

Like I said, if Campbell leads the Browns to the playoffs, things get seriously soap opera-esque in the offseason.

If Mariota decides not to declare, it changes a LOT. Manziel, Carr, and Mettenberger all move up. Hell, it probably stops Tajh's precipitous slide! Teams start offering crazy wacked-out deals for Nick Foles in hopes that Chip is an idiot who only wants HIS quarterback.

That said, I think Mariota does declare because he'll be a top 10 grade no matter what... and recent history has agents telling these guys not to risk coming back.

On the other board, I read a quote from Ray Farmer saying he believes Brian Hoyer can play "championship caliber quarterback." I find that kind of fascinating. I still find it hard to believe the Browns won't draft a quarterback in round one (and I'm thinking Manziel today, but who knows about tomorrow?)... but I'm getting the feeling the Browns really deeply believe Brian Hoyer can be The Man. It starts with Lombardi but it's radiated to Chud and Farmer and, I assume, Banner.

Like I said, if Campbell leads the Browns to the playoffs, things get seriously soap opera-esque in the offseason.

Sounds like Farmer is starting the smoke screen early...

Excellent point. Plenty of ammunition to confuse: "Campbell is the black Rich Gannon! Hoyer is Lombardi's illegitimate son! The Browns traded Richardson to make sure they can get Manziel!"

Nobody's gonna have a clue what the Browns are gonna do at QB... and we'll end up making another tremendous trade. Farmer is pumping up Hoyer's value. Expect to hear that he's running 4.4s by March (!).

Sounds like Farmer is starting the smoke screen early...

... if Campbell leads the Browns to the playoffs, things get seriously soap opera-esque in the offseason.

You mean here, right? :)

Seriously, I don't see a QB controversy.

Assuming his reasonable recovery, Hoyer and Campbell would go into camp tied for first with whatever Rookie we nab as our #3 destined to sit and learn for a year.

Assuming the Browns draft a long-term guy in round one, I think neither Campbell nor Hoyer would accept being the guy who isn't Now OR The Future, you know what I'm saying? If you aren't starting the opener and you aren't (say) Manziel, you're really just wasting a year of your career after showing you can play.

I think the Browns would basically have TWO guys who should be starting and then mentoring when they only need one. Let someone else have the other one to mentor THEIR rookie... and take one of their higher picks for the privilege!

You know which QB the Browns are drafting? Who is it?

No, I don't know. But I do know that it won't be Manziel. Doesn't fit the drafting profile of anyone in our FO or coaching staff. I think you know that, too.

But it is fun to watch you blow your load over each flavor of the week QB.

Who's it going to be next week that the Browns are "falling in love with"? Mettenberger? McCarron? Hundley?

I can at least rest assured that you won't be pimping Blake Bortles, because Mel Kiper hasn't said his name enough for you to know who he is.

It's midseason. There's a lot of football left to play, both college and NFL. There are an infinite number of things that can and will happen between now and draft day to influence our decisions.

But Manziel won't be in Brown and Orange next season, and that's something you can take to the bank. It just doesn't make sense.

Shep, you're a smart guy and I really value your posts. It's great to see someone who's passionate and knowledgeable about their posting subject, that's rare to find online. I may give you shit, but it's all in good fun. I think (or at least, hope) that you know I mean nothing by it. We all want to see the Browns succeed, and we all have different visions of how that will be. Sometimes those visions clash with others', it doesn't mean we don't all envision the same outcome. I hope to disagree with many more of your posts for many more years.

Mik, you're a different story you old bag o'shit.

Well, after last nite who ya got? McCarron is still standing pretty tall in this household.

Assuming the Browns draft a long-term guy in round one, I think neither Campbell nor Hoyer would accept being the guy who isn't Now OR The Future, you know what I'm saying? If you aren't starting the opener and you aren't (say) Manziel, you're really just wasting a year of your career after showing you can play.

I think the Browns would basically have TWO guys who should be starting and then mentoring when they only need one. Let someone else have the other one to mentor THEIR rookie... and take one of their higher picks for the privilege!

Yes, I know what you're saying... just don't agree. I have yet to see one college QB in this year's likely crop that is ready to start his NFL season one, game one.

What behavior or statement has indicated either Hoyer or Campbell would not accept a backup role?

What's wrong with sitting a rookie QB for a year? Two years? Cheaper now than it's been in ages.

How many rookie QBs have failed under fire that would have benefited from sitting for a while?

What team in their right mind would trade a "higher pick" for either Campbell or Hoyer? Especially if we do what you are saying and draft a QB early and high? (Let alone package picks to trade up.)

He has the best of everything around him and yet still doesnt excell. Gotta be very cautious when evaluating QB's on dominate teams.

Yeah... the bum's passer rating is only 169.1... lol... :)

Seriously, I understand your caution, but the kid has been so good for so long. And he is the perfect QB for a "dominant team" in that he first does no harm to that dominance.

I think he is just what we need. And he will come cheap compared to the other "names" in this draft.

Yr Cmpl Att % Yds YPA TD Int

2011 219 328 68.8 2634 8.0 16 5

2012 211 314 67.2 2933 9.3 30 3

2013 159 229 69.4 2041 8.9 19 3

Take your pick.

If you want consistency and leadership but a dip in measurables, you want McCarron and/or Carr

If you want athleticism and potential but a dip in size and strength, you want Hundley and/or Manziel

If you want highest ceiling, highest risk, you want Bridgewater and/or Mariota

If you want a developmental guy, you want Mettenberger and/or Boyd

I'm in the top category right now... long way to go...

McCarron is so limited and TRULY a "game manager." I think he'll make somebody a nice backup for a long time. Feels a little too Trent Edwards for me. I see him in round 3 with no upside.

Carr and Manziel continued their rises yesterday and Hundley is doing some nice damage control. My gut says one of those three. And thanks, Couch, I like your posts, too.

BUT... I think the Browns do dig Manziel. He's 20. He's proven he can pass from the pocket. He's faster and taller than Wilson. He'd get a year to get physically stronger and watch Hoyer. Don't be too shocked.

Based on not getting near Bridgewater or Mariota, I'm paying the most attention to those three guys.

Archived