THE BROWNS BOARD

Stockton Shorts Discusses Brian Hoyer

StocktonShorts

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miller High Life in a Champagne League

Yeah- was at the game and we saw the bad Brian. Bunch of terrible throws. I also saw a bunch of really good throws. Inconsistency will be his downfall. His pre snap reads are as good as anyone's in the league. OK, he's never going to be great- got it. Our run defense also went in the toilet again with Taylor out. If you didn't notice, Mallet wasn't touched once the entire game. Um, make that once, when he had to cover a shotgun snap that went ten feet over his head.

I'm new here, but I think at some point you have to find out what you have in Manziel. That said, now is NOT that time. The Browns are in the playoff hunt, you DO NOT mess with that. Hoyer has to be the guy now, for many reasons, but mainly because the team is winning and could make the playoffs.

If you took Hoyer out, even at the end of yesterday's game, it sends a message to the team that you're not good enough with your best qb (at this time). That's a horrible message to send to a team that's gonna be fighting the next 6 games to get to the playoffs.

Maybe Manziel is the beast I think he will be, and nobody thinks more highly of him than me, but now is not the time.

I'm new here, but I think at some point you have to find out what you have in Manziel. That said, now is NOT that time. The Browns are in the playoff hunt, you DO NOT mess with that. Hoyer has to be the guy now, for many reasons, but mainly because the team is winning and could make the playoffs.

If you took Hoyer out, even at the end of yesterday's game, it sends a message to the team that you're not good enough with your best qb (at this time). That's a horrible message to send to a team that's gonna be fighting the next 6 games to get to the playoffs.

Maybe Manziel is the beast I think he will be, and nobody thinks more highly of him than me, but now is not the time.

I could not agree more. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious about what Manziel has to offer, but telling a 6-4 team that they're packing it in for the season would be criminal.

the people who are at practice every day still believe hoyer presents the best chance to win, it's as simple as that (unless you're one of those Ricky Bobby people who feel if you don't win the Super Bowl you might as well be 0-16).

the Browns at 58 rushing yards total Sunday. you are a complete fucktard if you think that 30 incompletions is even more alarming stat then rushing yards. most of the time when you have to throw more than 40 times again you're going to lose look at Peyton Manning look at Drew Brees. the Browns had eight plays of 20 or more yards. I can remember a few seasons where the Browns had 20 plays of 20 yards or more through 10 games

the Browns at 58 rushing yards total Sunday. you are a complete fucktard if you think that 30 incompletions is even more alarming stat then rushing yards. most of the time when you have to throw more than 40 times again you're going to lose look at Peyton Manning look at Drew Brees. the Browns had eight plays of 20 or more yards. I can remember a few seasons where the Browns had 20 plays of 20 yards or more through 10 games

Once again, Brian Hoyer is the reason why we can't run the ball. Teams have zero fear of Hoyers arm, and simply play man on the outside and creep everyone else to the line. This is well known at this point.

In fact only once since Jacksonville has a team not had enough time, and too many defensive injuries, to where they could not install this gameplan against the Browns. They had to play a base defense, and even commented about it after the game. That was Cincinnati. Look what magically happened.

Teams are loading it up to stop the run. Hoyer gives them nothing to worry about. In the last 5 games Hoyer is completing only 51% of his passes. When thats his rate, you don't have to worry about a team passing on you. Just stop the run.

And 31st in the league at stopping the run.

Let THAT sink in.

That's Brian's fault I'm sure, and somehow Johnny would immediately improve it.

Once again, Brian Hoyer is the reason why we can't run the ball. Teams have zero fear of Hoyers arm, and simply play man on the outside and creep everyone else to the line. This is well known at this point.

In fact only once since Jacksonville has a team not had enough time, and too many defensive injuries, to where they could not install this gameplan against the Browns. They had to play a base defense, and even commented about it after the game. That was Cincinnati. Look what magically happened.

Teams are loading it up to stop the run. Hoyer gives them nothing to worry about. In the last 5 games Hoyer is completing only 51% of his passes. When thats his rate, you don't have to worry about a team passing on you. Just stop the run.

What a crock of shit.

Brian hoyer is not the reason we couldn't run the ball.

You keep saying this, and keep saying teams are "loading the box" but there's no other way to put it, you're wrong.

And 31st in the league at stopping the run.

Let THAT sink in.

The Browns could've played like #1 in the league against the run on Sunday and it wouldn't have changed the fact the offense could only muster 7 points (off of a drive extended because of a roughing the kicker).

Thats the biggest thing everyones missing while you're bitching about this or that....Texans only scored 23 points. As bad as the D was, 23 points is still manageable. Offense only needed 3 TDs and FG to win the game, with the D playing exactly the same.

The defense would've had to pitch a shutout to win the game with how the offense played.

Quit trying to ignore the 30 incompletions. Its a franchise record. Those don't grow on trees. Only 4 times in the last 26 years has a QB thrown the ball 50 times and completed 40% or less. Brian Hoyer is now part of that club.

To not start with THAT when discussing this game, is insane and its total fanboy bias.

Hey.. at least he isnt a PICK MACHINE.. like this boards favorite folktime hero.. DEREK ANDERCEPTION.

Brian Hoyer at least has a knack for keeping it away from the other team which is commendable.

However.. unfortunately.. as great as a story as it may be that the hometown hero comes thorugh and wins it all... It just isnt realistic with Brians limited skillset. He is a great backup.. excellent actually. He just isnt a franchgise QB.

Johnny on the other hand.. Is a bonafide playmaker.. and he can FORCE points on the board if he has to.. there will be no 7 pt games with Johnny

I don't think anybody is wrong to criticize hoyers performance, but there's certainly other aspects to discuss too.

Stocktons standpoint is just funny because he'd rather see the browns lose with manziel than win with hoyer, and cites fictitious box counts in order to claim Hoyer breaks the run game.

Once again here we go with the "Well its a win"

So if Hoyer gets credit for a win, regardless of a his play, then why is every loss "A Team Loss"?

You can't have it both ways.

You want to talk wins and losses only when it comes to Hoyers stats. But after a loss you want to make sure everyone knows that 1 man doesn't make the team and its certainly not Hoyers fault. Then by proxy why are the wins his "fault"?

I don't think anybody is wrong to criticize hoyers performance, but there's certainly other aspects to discuss too.

Stocktons standpoint is just funny because he'd rather see the browns lose with manziel than win with hoyer, and cites fictitious box counts in order to claim Hoyer breaks the run game.

Once again, not just myself that see it. How about McManamon, Grossi and Banner?

http://espn.go.com/b...-browns-preview

"The Browns haven’t been able to run the ball effectively the past few games. What’s gone wrong?

McManamon: The easy answer is to say the Browns lost their Pro Bowl center. Without Alex Mack the Browns aren’t even averaging 2 yards a carry the past two games. Clearly that’s a factor. But the bigger factor is that Jacksonville and Oakland dared the Browns to throw by loading the box with a safety to protect against the run. It’s no secret that Kyle Shanahan’s offense is built around the ability to run and play-action, so teams are trying to take the run away and negate play-action."

Loss of Mack is huge, teams are now selling out to stop run, see if Browns can beat them with pass. Hoyer better then getting credit so far

"@zimbardi10 i feel everyone yells about the run game. But i think its just teams loading the box to make hoyer beat them.// Bada bing-o.

The Browns could've played like #1 in the league against the run on Sunday and it wouldn't have changed the fact the offense could only muster 7 points (off of a drive extended because of a roughing the kicker).

Thats the biggest thing everyones missing while you're bitching about this or that....Texans only scored 23 points. As bad as the D was, 23 points is still manageable. Offense only needed 3 TDs and FG to win the game, with the D playing exactly the same.

The defense would've had to pitch a shutout to win the game with how the offense played.

Quit trying to ignore the 30 incompletions. Its a franchise record. Those don't grow on trees. Only 4 times in the last 26 years has a QB thrown the ball 50 times and completed 40% or less. Brian Hoyer is now part of that club.

To not start with THAT when discussing this game, is insane and its total fanboy bias.

I'm not putting the loss on one individual.

Let's recap some of the low points:

A missed field goal.

A botched snap that went over the punter's head.

A dropped pick 6.

A kickoff for a TD that was called back.

A fumble in the red zone.

A backup RB have career day.

A backup QB have a career day.

JJ Watt owning Shwartz.

Several bad throws combined several good throws that were dropped.

There's plenty of shit to go around without hanging it on one guy.

I'm not putting the loss on one individual.

Let's recap some of the low points:

A missed field goal.

A botched snap that went over the punter's head.

A dropped pick 6.

A kickoff for a TD that was called back.

A fumble in the red zone.

A backup RB have career day.

A backup QB have a career day.

JJ Watt owning Shwartz.

Several bad throws combined several good throws that were dropped.

There's plenty of shit to go around without hanging it on one guy.

Fine, the loss wasn't all Hoyer.

Now quit giving wins to Hoyer too and treat his performance as it stands regardless of the game outcome.

From that in his last 5 games he is throwing 51% with 4TD and 4INTs and a 74 Rating.

Against the Jags, Raiders,Bucs, Bengals, Texans.

Archived