THE BROWNS BOARD

WINSLOW TRADED!!

We need Tom Tupa

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That doesn't make sense. Short yardage gains? That's pretty predictable for the other teams D. Sorry "Cool" formations don't cut it, we didn't score for 6 games, something has to change.

The same cool formations were very successful in 2007.

2008 was bad because of poor play on the O-line, injuries, lack of a running game, and terrible QB play.

and he ran against the steelers and ravens 4X. you underestimate the AFCN.

Yea I think he's serviceable. But I did notice that he did go down ALOT easier last year then in 07. Which means his legs are getting old. Which why his yards per carry went WAY down. He had ZERO, count it ZERO 100 yard games in 08 and only ONE game over 90 yards (on the last game of the season when the Stoolers had their 2nd team in).

Face it people we need to stop playing favorites and do what is best for the Browns.

Let's think future here.

Um… duh!?

Seriously, I’m not saying that the trade is bad, or that we can’t salvage a still good team without Winslow.

But saying that Winslow was a Square peg in a Round hole is silly, which is what I was responding to in the first place.

That doesn't make sense.

No matter the type of offensive philosophy that you run, a good TE of Winslow’s caliber, always fits. Sure, he wasn’t the best blocker (actually I think he would have been fine but for his chronically bad knees and bad shoulder.) Sure, the Browns, and especially in the AFC North, wanted to run a smash-mouth run game. That’s why we had Heiden and Dinkins for short yardage guys, and why we had cool formations that put Thomas on the right outside Schaffer (two tackle right side.)

ever heard the phrase "it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there?

anything clearer now?

(if not, wikipedia San Diego.)

Kellen Winslow has enough value to have input on this, regardless of what you or anyone else may have to say about it.

Um… duh!?

Seriously, I’m not saying that the trade is bad, or that we can’t salvage a still good team without Winslow.

But saying that Winslow was a Square peg in a Round hole is silly, which is what I was responding to in the first place.

Agreed, but he really needed to be a WR.

I want to add something, one of the comments Mangini made about the type of players he wants to bring in: he likes versatile players, players that can play different positions, has multiple skills that can benefit a team. (He used a DL player who was only a pass rusher but sucked against the run as an example).

This may have been foreshadowing the Winslow move, since he's a great receiver, but a terrible blocker. Someone like Heiden or Rucker may better fit Mangini's style because they are good blockers, and are good recievers (Certainly not the caliber of Winslow, but still good).

Based on what? Playing hurt? Giving everything every time he was on the field?

Given the grand scheme of things and the whole package Winslow came with and what he did as a Browns player on and off the feild.

I still concur him a punk with little respect for the game or organization that pays him millions. Good Bye and Good riddance is putting it kindly.

Just a side note- his last staph infection was his own doing.

Yea I think he's serviceable. But I did notice that he did go down ALOT easier last year then in 07. Which means his legs are getting old. Which why his yards per carry went WAY down. He had ZERO, count it ZERO 100 yard games in 08 and only ONE game over 90 yards (on the last game of the season when the Stoolers had their 2nd team in).

Face it people we need to stop playing favorites and do what is best for the Browns.

i'm fine w/ serviceable KFP. that's a compliment to a 28.75 year-old back w/ 10,000 miles on his tires.

but recall he dropped down to 235lbs for 2008. back in the 245-250lb range he should regain '07 form.

Guest Masters
Given the grand scheme of things and the whole package Winslow came with and what he did as a Browns player on and off the feild.

I still concur him a punk with little respect for the game or organization that pays him millions. Good Bye and Good riddance is putting it kindly.

He gave him self a staph infection? Seriously? Dude, you need to look up staph infections. They are common and happen all the time.

Again, what makes him a punk w/ little respect for the game? Give some examples here will ya? Playing hurt, giving it your all on every down, and wanting to win is respecting the game.

When you say "undisclosed picks" that usually means "there's no first-rounder."

Make no mistake about it - we're dumping this talented cancer.

The Giants NEVER missed Shockey and the Saints didn't improve when he arrived. Sometimes you gotta look at a kid's wear and tear.

The ONLY team with more than 8 wins that we've beaten in the last 2 years besides Seattle was the NY Giants on a night Winslow didn't play. Kind of NICE being less predictable.

Old Cow and I had an interesting discussion where I said ALOT of teams didn't even perceive Winslow as a TE inspite of the 3 point stance. He's NEVER going to set the edge blocking and he's basically running routes in the areas slot receivers dwell. The problem with Winslow is he's losing steps and lower torse explosion with every surgery and staph infection. He's NOT the same kid he was on draft day because that's physically impossible.

I WILL say I liked his work ethic and I appreciated how much the kid REALLY wanted to win. There were some admirabilities; but I'm THRILLED we're thinking upside from the top of our organization.

- Tom F.

I want to add something, one of the comments Mangini made about the type of players he wants to bring in: he likes versatile players, players that can play different positions, has multiple skills that can benefit a team. (He used a DL player who was only a pass rusher but sucked against the run as an example).

This may have been foreshadowing the Winslow move, since he's a great receiver, but a terrible blocker. Someone like Heiden or Rucker may better fit Mangini's style because they are good blockers, and are good recievers (Certainly not the caliber of Winslow, but still good).

good point about the versatility of players fooleeze.

he's what Alton Brown calls a uni-tasker.

the NFL is a business.

anyone know what Rucker looks like after a year in the NFL S&C program? the price is right.

Guest Masters
The ONLY team with more than 8 wins that we've beaten in the last 2 years besides Seattle was the NY Giants on a night Winslow didn't play. Kind of NICE being less predictable.

- Tom F.

3 picks of Eli and an extra week to prepare had a big part in that win over the G-men as well. Along with them probably being a little over confident coming into that game, after the preseason beat down.

Guest Masters

So he injected him with Staph? Because that is the only way a staph infection is of someones own doing.

They're freaking tight ends. The Giants won it all AFTER Shockey. Tony Gonzales never won anything. Witten's never won a playoff game.

They're tight ends, not quarterbacks. I hated that draft pick so much... a tight end at #7? Hell, Witten was a 2nd round pick!

I'm not even sure who the Cardinals' TE is. I know the Steelers have Heath Miller but he ain't playing in Honolulu or anything.

I have posted the same thing before. Name me a PREMIER TE that took his team to the SB Victory. Please.

The Giants NEVER missed Shockey and the Saints didn't improve when he arrived. Sometimes you gotta look at a kid's wear and tear.

Old Cow and I had an interesting discussion where I said ALOT of teams didn't even perceive Winslow as a TE inspite of the 3 point stance. He's NEVER going to set the edge blocking and he's basically running routes in the areas slot receivers dwell. The problem with Winslow is he's losing steps and lower torse explosion with every surgery and staph infection. He's NOT the same kid he was on draft day because that's physically impossible.

I WILL say I liked his work ethic and I appreciated how much the kid REALLY wanted to win. There were some admirabilities; but I'm THRILLED we're thinking upside from the top of our organization.

- Tom F.

some good food there Tom, thanks.

i try to view it from Kokinis' perspective, he had to prepare the Ravens for the Browns. imagine if they never really perceived him as much of a threat as we do. he played against him afterall, he would know his value pretty well.

He gave him self a staph infection? Seriously? Dude, you need to look up staph infections. They are common and happen all the time.

Again, what makes him a punk w/ little respect for the game? Give some examples here will ya? Playing hurt, giving it your all on every down, and wanting to win is respecting the game.

let's just say the staph was from a 'peircing'

i know the bike accident was awhile ago but the whining in the hospital, the request for more $$, They all drop passes but there is one drop that cost us a game this year, playing hurt thats his own doing also well 50% of it. there are plenty of punks who can play great ball.

and he ran against the steelers and ravens 4X. you underestimate the AFCN.

So did Cedric Benson and he did fairly well. And I think Benson is a bum so whats that say about Lewis? Lewis was at one time a great RB, he is no longer that great RB!

Guest Masters
let's just say the staph was from a 'peircing'

i know the bike accident was awhile ago but the whining in the hospital, the request for more $$, They all drop passes but there is one drop that cost us a game this year, playing hurt thats his own doing also well 50% of it. there are plenty of punks who can play great ball.

Yet to see one thing that makes him a punk there. The hospital thing was being a bit of a baby, sure. Asking for money, I can rattle off a ton of guys in the NFL doing that. The drop pass you mentioned, which was DEN, he was the first to step up and say it was all his fault. Not exactly a punk move by doing that. He dropped very few, and most, like BE, came from developing gator arms from getting creamed constatly because of DA's bad throws.

Holding his action from 3 years ago against him is just silly imo.

As to the piercing, that is rumor and inuedo.

Yet to see one thing that makes him a punk there. The hospital thing was being a bit of a baby, sure. Asking for money, I can rattle off a ton of guys in the NFL doing that. The drop pass you mentioned, which was DEN, he was the first to step up and say it was all his fault. Not exactly a punk move by doing that. He dropped very few, and most, like BE, came from developing gator arms from getting creamed constatly because of DA's bad throws.

Holding his action from 3 years ago against him is just silly imo.

As to the piercing, that is rumor and inuedo.

Oh fine!!

You've convinced me. He is a fine gentleman and will be missed dearly. Good Luck K2!! Break a Leg!!

Yeah, SI is reporting that we got a '09 2nd and a '10 5th.

Shockey had set the market last year its the same exact deal the Saints gave the Giants, except If Tampa gets their QB situation straightened out Kellen will have close to or more than a 1,000 yard season unlike Shockey's miserable season(no TD's and 483 yds). Lets hope there is an incentive deal in next years pick to move it up based on Kellens performance. I'm still sick about this whole thing!

Archived