THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

iggles lost to the Bengals today...improving our 2nd first round pick.

The Bengals at 4-7-1 are currently drafting ahead of the iggles (5-7).

Next week if the Skins can beat the iggles then that pick would improve yet again as they'll jump ahead of the Bengals (who play us).

-------------

The Bears crushed the 49'ers.

Man, the 9'ers are bad.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

iggles lost to the Bengals today...improving our 2nd first round pick.

The Bengals at 4-7-1 are currently drafting ahead of the iggles (5-7).

Next week if the Skins can beat the iggles then that pick would improve yet again as they'll jump ahead of the Bengals (who play us).

-------------

The Bears crushed the 49'ers.

Man, the 9'ers are bad.

Really, really bad. I watched most of that game. Maybe even worse than the Browns. We're a bunch of missed FGs against the Dolphins of being tied with them.

Assuming we DON'T trade back up for Mitch (after we take Garrett or Allen), I'm pretty sure we're taking Deshaun Watson. It's just how I feel this week, and it'll change every week until the draft, but Watson does a lot of things that Hue covets. He does NOT, however, read the field well, and that's scary. In fact, that could actually take him out of the running unless Hue feels it can be taught. Still, Watson can be electrifying, and his physical gifts are undeniable. I want Mitch, and I always will, but I can't see a team like ours using valuable draft picks to trade up in the first round. Would fans be happy with Garrett and Watson on day 1? Hard to say...but it would be fun.

I'd be fine with it. Not ecstatic like we'd drafted a slam dunk QB stud, but they don't come around very often, so it's unlikely we'll do so any time soon. I'd be a little surprised, as Hue seems to really like RG3 and he's literally only played one game (so far), and so I'd expect we'll roll into next year with him and Kessler backing up.

Pat Mahomes is similar in size to Mitch Trubisky, but he has a bigger arm.

The biggest knock on Pat, is he's in a Kliff Kingsbury system (i.e. can he play under center?).

I would be happy if the Browns draft either Mitch or Pat.

Watch Mahomes a bit tonight.

I have absolutely zero clue what some of you fuckers see when you watch tape.

I think they see nothing, because they don't watch tape.

Mahomes is intriguing in that people see Russell Wilson potential in the way he plays, disregarding the fact that he plays in a spread system and has little experience under center. He's pretty hard to watch most of the time, he's just a guy out there slinging a ball backyard football style.

A case can be made that he's essentially a blank canvas in that his mechanics really can't get worse, but he's no out of the box franchise guy. He's not on the level of Dak or Dalton, either. They had plenty of transferrable skills coming out of college. Mahomes' only transferrable skill is that he can sling the fuck out of the ball.

With that said...in the fourth round? Absolutely. He's interesting.

I think they see nothing, because they don't watch tape.

Mahomes is intriguing in that people see Russell Wilson potential in the way he plays, disregarding the fact that he plays in a spread system and has little experience under center. He's pretty hard to watch most of the time, he's just a guy out there slinging a ball backyard football style.

A case can be made that he's essentially a blank canvas in that his mechanics really can't get worse, but he's no out of the box franchise guy. He's not on the level of Dak or Dalton, either. They had plenty of transferrable skills coming out of college. Mahomes' only transferrable skill is that he can sling the fuck out of the ball.

With that said...in the fourth round? Absolutely. He's interesting.

Russell Wilson potential yet plays nothing like him?

To quick point what I've seen

-ugly throwing motion and losses a lot of velocity on his ball because of it

-terrible footwork

-drops his eyes to the dline consistently

-no evidence of making progressions

-accuracy is all over the place

Late round to UDFA

-terrible footwork

Late round to UDFA

Points one and two are exactly what I mean by a blank canvas, he's no better than a high school QB out there and yet still is finding success. No doubt some people actually see that as a positive rather than a negative, given that we have a supposed QB whisperer coach.

Point three, unless you have access to defensive all-22's that I don't have, you have no way of proving that other than maybe a lucky broadcast camera zoom in. \

Point four, unless you have access to offensive all-22's that I don't have, same deal applies. He's not often standing in the pocket for extended periods of time, so you can't accurately say whether or not he's capable of going through progressions....though I doubt he's any good at it.

Point five is directly related to points one and two.

Playing in a different offensive scheme =! being a different football player. I'm not sure how you can say you've watched him play and not see how he's a Wilson scrambleclone. He's perpetually trying to create space between him and defensive players, even when he doesn't need to in some cases. Further, his scrambling is done to extend a passing play, rather than the traditional mobile QB scrambling and running for the sticks. He then proceeds to make a conventionally unsound throw - either across body, across field, or to a player who has broken from his route.

Here's 11 instances of him doing that exact thing...in one game (not all are good plays, it's not a bunch of highlights):

I don't think he's a great prospect by any means, but I've watched more than enough tape on him to come to the conclusion that he presents enough upside to easily warrant a mid-round pick. I don't believe he's comfortable throwing short passes - a majority of his accuracy issues present themselves on passes >5 yards, most of them on out breaking routes like zigs or backside drags where the receiver has crossed his face. That's where he seems to sidearm most of his passes as well.

He plays the game like a baby born from a love orgy of Cam Newton, Matt Stafford, Russell Wilson and Johnny Manziel - not quite in the best ways. He is a non-traditional passer with awful mechanics and bad footwork who holds the ball like a loaf of bread and delivers it from any position that he wants...sometimes even left handed. And despite all that, he's found rousing success this year. THAT'S what people are excited about when it comes to him.

He won't last past the fourth round.

-terrible footwork

Late round to UDFA

i think your being overly critical and suggest you watch more varied tapes. I'd say if he declares he will be in the top 15 QB selected

i think your being overly critical and suggest you watch more varied tapes. I'd say if he declares he will be in the top 15 QB selected

15 seemed like a lot of QBs for one draft so I checked... and it is...

The last time 15 or more QBs were taken in a draft was 2004. Before that? 2002, 1992, 1987... as far as I went back.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position

Most years the list is so short that you don't even have to count them to know they've <15. And '93 and earlier had more than 7 rounds...

Sneaking in the top 15 you say? Seeing as how the last 7 years on average only 12 are drafted per year, you aren't really selling me.

ESPN currently has Mahomes as the #2 QB behind Mitch.

But you all know as well as I do, that ranking will ebb and flow many times between now and draft day.

Bigly...

I'm sure by now everyone has an internal shortlist of guys they'd be happy taking first overall, maybe two, three, four, five players long - probably along the lines of Garrett, Allen, Trubisky, Watson, Peppers in some form. Subject to change of course.

My question is, as it stands we would be (apparently) picking first and ninth overall, who's your guy that, if he falls to say pick five without being taken, you 'pull the trigger' and move up for? If you have the chance to get Garrett and Allen? Leonard Williams went sixth because of QB needy teams and him playing an 'unsexy' position. Maybe Allen does similar?

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the draft goes like:

1. Browns: Garrett

2. 49ers: Trubisky

3. Jags: Peppers

4. Bears: Watson

5. Jets: ???

6. Titans (from Rams): ???

7. Panthers: ???

8. Bengals: ???

Titants, Bengals and Panthers obviously don't need a QB, and the first two probably aren't after a running back. Maybe Carolina fancies Fournette, but it's unlikely Allen falls past there.

In another scenario, it's Trubisky who falls, as the bears look to build around Hoyer, or Barkley, who who knows what happens.

Do you make a trade with the Jets if your guy falls?

Even the small move form 9th to 5th will likely cost us our second #2... factor that in folks.

I'd be tempted to go get Allen, but I'm pretty set on letting the draft come to us.

Then again I am more in the Camp Allen at #1...

You might be in Camp Allen, but the top five ball clubs might also be in camp Some Guy Who Isn't Allen.

Yes it would cost us probably a second rounder and maybe a day 3 pick, but that's the kind of trade off we're talking about - who is worth it?

Another question: The bears will surely cut Cutler. They're slated to pick fourth (ish), but will be QB hungry, as will the 49ers. Assuming we're going with RG3/Kessler into next season and we're not picking a QB first, would you be happy to move back from 1st to 4th so the bears get their QB and we get probably at least a second round pick if not a first next year, plus other things (possibly to include Putney)?

1st back to 4th? Damn tough call... Easy to see Allen and Garrett going 2 and 3 behind a QB at #1....

• 49ers might follow us down... they need a lot of help.
  • Jags? Imagine Allen next to Jackson.

That's trading below a lot of impact potential.

Assuming the draft went Trub - Garrett - Allen who is at #4 that we'd covet? that'd be an impact guy?

Can't see us going Fournette... or Peppers... or best OL...

If we went QB first I'd be looking for the best pass rusher available at #9. That would do more to help our DBs overall than any individual DB. Plus I think a very good CB will still be there at the top of round 2. Then get the center or a safety.

Holy Roller Tide! Tour wears crimson in his closet! Who'da thunk it! ;)

Have I mentioned I am color blind? Crimson... burgundy... no difference to me.

Scarlett on the other hand...

Archived