THE BROWNS BOARD

Pryor to Redskins

The Gipper

RE: Pryor- nope, I was coming from the place Rosenhaus is going to argue to the Browns on just how much Pryor is worth. (in his deluded mind) Of course an agent is going to try to maximize his client's deal- and as a result fatten his wallet in the process.

I'll stand by what I posted earlier. Make him a reasonable offer with an incentive laden contract. You want to get paid like a top 15 receiver? Well earn it. You want a shit ton of guaranteed money? Let some other team pay it for you.

Got ya... slight misread on my part.

You mean like the incentivized deal I laid out weeks ago? ;)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy timely article, Batman!

Remember... I said it was "timely", not "good"...

Browns’ analytics department may not be high on Terrelle Pryor

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/browns-analytics-department-may-not-be-high-on-terrelle-pryor/

There very well may be a problem with our front office being anal about analytics. They may be so beholden to whatever numbers they crunch that they can't use any common sense when making a decision. The best managers are adaptable and flexible. If they are rigid they are ineffective as far as I can tell. In football, rigidity can lead to gridlock thinking. It is not a good way to go.

Now regarding Brown- the Steelers sure were desperate to keep him in the fold. Between him Rothlisberger, and Bell- they're shelling out a boatloads of cash on those three.

They should. They are that entire team essentially. Those 3 guys are the difference between them and what the Browns were this past season.

I don't think so... at least not the "this" I was trying to communicate.

I think a lot of teams do what hoorta was doing a post or two after yours, i.e., try to ID players who are the equivalent of TP on a macro, qualitative basis. These teams then look at how much those ID'd players are paid, either add on a premium or deduct a chunk to create an opening offer, hit "Send" and wait for the phone to ring to begin the price haggling.

I think we have done the regression analysis to develop a quantitative, micro, skill-value model into which we can plug any FA's skill assessment and crank out what is that player's fair value. We present that assessment to the player and discuss differences in the assessment.

But aren't we still talking "normal" football statistics? The Browns aren't looking at Pryor and saying "he gets off the line in 2 seconds, his catch radius is 7 feet and his hands are rated at 65, so that projects to $8.5 million a year in value"

I guess I'm not following. I'd hope each team evaluates a players skill set and what the team loses and gains with loss or replacement. Like the Gabriel vs Hawkins dilemma, which unfortunately they guessed wrong.

NFL channel - the guy covering the Browns says the Browns offered 12 million, tp is looking for more.

Remembering how he was fussing and bitching? about something again and again to Hue and a few other

coaches... during a game? stick a fork in him if he is that much a bighead that he wants Antonio Brown money.

Brown has proven himself over more than just the one season. I think Pryor is gone, and won't be sorry he left.

Lets be perfectly real anout pryor....on a team with other options abd a halfway decent QB that has tome to throw the ball, he could very well be the top wr in football. The "time to throw the ball" notion is important because he's most dangerous on the downfield routes. Ofc on a team that cant protect the qb for more than a nano second, that qb is going to struggle getting the ball out.

But still, asking more money than marshal........ehhhh i dunno about that

Lets be perfectly real anout pryor....on a team with other options abd a halfway decent QB that has tome to throw the ball, he could very well be the top wr in football. The "time to throw the ball" notion is important because he's most dangerous on the downfield routes. Ofc on a team that cant protect the qb for more than a nano second, that qb is going to struggle getting the ball out.

But still, asking more money than marshal........ehhhh i dunno about that

Sorry but not better than Julio Jones, AJ Green, OBJ, Antonio Brown, etc. His routes and hands aren't nearly good enough for top 5 let alone top 10 WR in the NFL

I still hang on to hope the deal gets done. 2 yrs.@10ish/yr. Honestly he's the only guy at the WR position that we can seem to get open..Get it done Browns!!

We need Pryor badly. Badly!

But at the same time...we made him who he is. We gave him his shot.

We're offering a lot of money.

How much should he get for one good season? Rock Star money?

But aren't we still talking "normal" football statistics? The Browns aren't looking at Pryor and saying "he gets off the line in 2 seconds, his catch radius is 7 feet and his hands are rated at 65, so that projects to $8.5 million a year in value"

I guess I'm not following. I'd hope each team evaluates a players skill set and what the team loses and gains with loss or replacement. Like the Gabriel vs Hawkins dilemma, which unfortunately they guessed wrong.

Actually we somehow ended up close in how we think we are doing it. But I think there are a lot more "factors"... as you probably do as well.

I do not think there are a lot of teams breaking it down as far as we are... but it's just a suspicion.

NFL channel - the guy covering the Browns says the Browns offered 12 million, tp is looking for more.

That's higher than any reported offer I've read. But it matches a couple reports of what TP was asking...

We're going to lose Pryor just like we lost Mitchell Schwartz. Our money experts accurately predicted Schwartz's value, and we let him test the market. After he tested it and found out that he couldn't get the money he THOUGHT, he came back to the Browns looking for the previous offer we made. Only we didn't OFFER him that same offer because we were being proud assholes. We were going to "stick it to him". Show him that he screwed up, and that we were right. So we offered him less, and Schwartz walked. I don't blame him. How hard would it have been to make the same damn offer? What did we really gain by acting like that? That shit pisses me off SO MUCH.

Our money people are doing the same thing with Pryor. We basically said that "this is the value we have on you, so if you can get more, good luck." It's crazy...just CRAZY. Unless Pryor was asking for something RIDICULOUS, and I don't know for sure what that number was, we should've gotten a deal done. Who the HELL is catching the ball for us? How can we expect a rookie QB, or whichever veteran we bring in to become successful with virtually ZERO receiving targets?

Remembering how he was fussing and bitching? about something again and again to Hue and a few other

coaches... during a game? stick a fork in him if he is that much a bighead that he wants Antonio Brown money.

Brown has proven himself over more than just the one season. I think Pryor is gone, and won't be sorry he left.

Could this turn out to be a Mitchell Schwartz situation? Browns offer 12 mill. Pryor says no. Pryor gets no better offer, then comes back to Browns and says "I will take the 12 mill."...then Browns respond: "That offer is off the table".

It happened once, it could happen again.

We're going to lose Pryor just like we lost Mitchell Schwartz. Our money experts accurately predicted Schwartz's value, and we let him test the market. After he tested it and found out that he couldn't get the money he THOUGHT, he came back to the Browns looking for the previous offer we made. Only we didn't OFFER him that same offer because we were being proud assholes. We were going to "stick it to him". Show him that he screwed up, and that we were right. So we offered him less, and Schwartz walked. I don't blame him. How hard would it have been to make the same damn offer? What did we really gain by acting like that? That shit pisses me off SO MUCH.

Our money people are doing the same thing with Pryor. We basically said that "this is the value we have on you, so if you can get more, good luck." It's crazy...just CRAZY. Unless Pryor was asking for something RIDICULOUS, and I don't know for sure what that number was, we should've gotten a deal done. Who the HELL is catching the ball for us? How can we expect a rookie QB, or whichever veteran we bring in to become successful with virtually ZERO receiving targets?

OK, great minds think alike.

they just did it. if they actually sign Britt, they basically told Pryor, this is market value. He didn't take it, so they extended it to someone else who has almost the exact same numbers! Plus, they have now set the benchmark for other teams to use. PHI, TN, etc. are basically going to offer him the same contract that Browns are giving Britt. It would be great if they signed both, but I don't see it happening

From @AllbrightNFL who has good info last couple of days

"Pryor and Jeffrey finding they vastly overestimated their market value"

Ok, this could POSSIBLY be great news. My thing is, would the Browns REALLY spend $8 million a year on Britt, and then also sign TP for a similar deal? I just don't see it. I don't see it AT ALL, especially because we just signed Bitonio to monster deal, signed the Packers Center, AND we still need a DB/Safety/CB.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Hopefully we can still bring Pryor back. We found him, cultivated him, developed him into a weapon. He's scratching the surface, and he's an Ohio guy. He's also a warrior...someone you WANT on your team. A natural leader of men because you just KNOW you don't mess with Terrelle Pryor. He's got the exact attitude I want on my team, and we need him back. I don't see it happening now, but I've been wrong before. A WR lineup of Pryor, Britt, and Coleman is nasty. Especially when you add in Barnidge and Devalve, and also Duke. Heck, Crow can catch pretty well too.

Edit: Saw a couple of Tweets which stated the Browns are still working on keeping Pryor, regardless of Britt signing. They still want a veteran in the WR corp, but also want Pryor. I don't SEE it happening because what will happen is a team that missed out on Britt, Desean Jackson, or Alshon will make a big time offer to Pryor so they don't come away with nothing. That offer will likely be enough to scare us off since we're spending big bucks. Hope I'm wrong (again), but very doubtful.

So you think we learned nothing from last year? If so then I expect another shit draft with a bunch of reaches again in one position.

Judgement reserved Ag. Sure looks like they're trying the same gambit with Pryor that they used on Schwartz.

So you think we learned nothing from last year? If so then I expect another shit draft with a bunch of reaches again in one position.

If we got Britt...then they very well may have learned something: If you do let a FA go...then go get someone else as good or better than the guy you let go.

They got no one to match The Schwartz, not in my opinion. But with Britt...they got someone to match...or exceed Pryor.

a team that missed out on Britt, Desean Jackson, or Alshon will

Agreed, but that team has to come from one of the 32 actual teams... not fantasy-land projections of scariness. Who, exactly, will it be?

My .02 says he'll resign with Cleveland - for less than Britt's deal.

Frankly, I agree with WalterFootball that Britt will be a heap of uselessness.

Agreed, but that team has to come from one of the 32 actual teams... not fantasy-land projections of scariness. Who, exactly, will it be?

My .02 says he'll resign with Cleveland - for less than Britt's deal.

Well....it looks like the Redskins just lost their entire receiving corps in free agency....so Washington may not be heavily in the market to replace Jackson and Garcon. So they could go after TP.

Unless Pryor was asking for something RIDICULOUS, and I don't know for sure what that number was, we should've gotten a deal done.

I think you answered your own question...

He's also a warrior...someone you WANT on your team. A natural leader of men because you just KNOW you don't mess with Terrelle Pryor.

I think you are getting more than a little carried away there... Kellen Winslow, Jr. carried away to be exact.

Archived