THE BROWNS BOARD

Pryor to Redskins

The Gipper

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

96 hours that long of a time?

just as pissed as yourself. We lost a good WR today. agent tampering starts at combine. but Drew got a good 4 month head start dealing with SB..just think TP's final thoughts were. let's do it again in a year. lets play with the chance of better QB play. Let's play with a team build to win..They all feed the $$ factor next FA period

Not sure I'm following you, t...

Are you saying to wait another 4 days and potentially end up signing no WR and losing TP?

I meant overall since TP took his visit to DC. That said, what I've had time to read now indicates this was a major fuck up from super Drew his agent. I still feel Pryor and Kenny can coexist on the field together, it just sucks seeing that kind of potential not retained regardless of the reason.

Pryor owes the Browns at least a thank you card. He had been cut by numerous NFL teams before the Browns signed him and it seemed obvious he was never going to be an NFL quarterback. The Browns took a chance on him and worked to develop him as a wide receiver which saved his NFL career.

Look who came up for air! Welcome to the light...

Agree... Browns and Hue in particular...

I meant overall since TP took his visit to DC. That said, what I've had time to read now indicates this was a major fuck up from super Drew his agent. I still feel Pryor and Kenny can coexist on the field together, it just sucks seeing that kind of potential not retained regardless of the reason.

Gotcha...

Wow. I can't understand this move from TP's perspective. Could this decision result in a big pay day next Spring? Maybe. Could it result in disaster? Maybe. Why would you take that risk and leave a great offer on the table? I think he should fire his agent. Big screw-up. HUGE!

Guess we offered 4 yr 32m, and he walked.

Burned that bridge.

Later!

PS: fire your agent.

End of the day, his agent fucked him. Kept filling his ear about how much he was REALLY worth then went out and found he was only worth that $8 million. Instead of taking the sure thing with us for the same price and alot more up front, he now has to hope to god he matches or out performs from last year.

Good job Drew. We knew you were hard to deal with.

3m bonus...3m salary...2m incentives. Check out the skins tweeter feed...9 second Pryor video where you can see just how pleased he is to be on DC

I suppose he's happy to be signed by any team. LOL

1year deal 8 million. Why couldn't we keep him

Because Pryor thought he was worth more than that. Found out not. Browns offered 4 years @ $8 million. He's betting on himself he has a monster year, and in 2018 can cash in to get top 10 WR money. Heck, if he had produced a monster year with the Browns, I'm sure he would have gotten renegotiated upwards.

I'll buy Sashi's logic that he's not irreplaceable. That #33 pick could now be used on Corey Davis or Curtis Samuel who have 1-2 round grades on them. Mike Williams will be long gone, maybe even @ #12. PS- John Ross, he of the 4.2 speed is a racehorse with an injury history. I'd pass. http://walterfootball.com/draft2017WR.php

I understand why TP did this but it was a jerk move. Unlike a rookie standout coming off his first contract, TP only has one shot at the big contract. My guess is:

-TP wanted a big long term contract.

-Browns offered contract they offered to Britt.

-TP realized he wasn't going to get a big long term contract so tried to get a 1-year contract from Browns,

- Browns said no. From moneyball perspective they want to pay him for what he is now and hope he would outplay his contract. They can't do that if they have to resign him again in a year.

-TP signs with Skins to get that 1 year deal.

From a money standpoint. What happened made sense for both sides. I'm just disappointed that all that talk from TP was just lip service.

1 year contracts are a death sentence.

Pryor is a fool.

I have to agree...But even tho he's generally an abrasive personality, kinda feel bad for him.

Another poster suggested drew (and likely family and friends) were constantly in his ear and convinced him he knew what was best for him. I do think he wanted to be here, but got caught up in the moment and is having some serious buyers remorse. How drew convinced him to not come back to the browns offer is puzzling though.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall when drew was explaining wtf just happened to Pryor. "Drew, the browns offered me more, gave me a chance, and I like hue." " Look Terrell, I know it didn't work out when I told you you'd make big money as a QB, and I know I told you the big money was coming this year as a WR. But I promise you, I'll....Er...We'll cash in big next year."

Tldr, drew was too proud to admit he fucked up, secured his client a inferior contract rather than tuck tail.

Every other Browns player would want more money if Cleveland caved.

this is an extremely important point. Some folks are irrate because "all we had to do was pay him more", but that sets a bad precedent and makes future deals much more difficult.

Schwartz and now Pryor and Jefferson have shown the NFL world the brown know player value and offer fair deals. Those players all took less to play elsewhere.

this is an extremely important point. Some folks are irrate because "all we had to do was pay him more", but that sets a bad precedent and makes future deals much more difficult.

Schwartz and now Pryor and Jefferson have shown the NFL world the brown know player value and offer fair deals. Those players all took less to play elsewhere.

Yeah, good ole Mike Florio ripped Cleveland for showing Pryor NO love or respect at all almost as if it wasn't the only franchise that gave the unemployed WR a job. What a kick in the adam's apple there because instead of trying to be a high school football coach somewhere - the poor guy had to see only 1 other team interested in paying him $8 million. And then, he signed a contract with Washington for the same insulting salary. I am so happy for the brat and Rosenhaus.

I get a kick out of how much people suddenly LIKED the Schwartz they always used to complain about in pass pro here. The used to over-exaggerate how bad he was all the way up until Pro football Focus crowned him the Gran Poo Bah of RTs. The only guy I remembered typing good things about Schwartz prior to PFF was Tour when he did his weekly summaries of game film study. That's not to say a few others didn't, he's just the only one I recalled. And magically, when we didn't KEEP him - he suddenly had the most fans on the team next to Alex Mack of course.

And BTW, Taylor Gabriel never had more fans for his 1 TD reception here in 2 years and his yards per catch that went down from 17.3 to 8.6 in life after Kyle Shanahan here with Flip's offense. So GUESS where he went so he could be meaningful? Kyle Shanahan's offense that included Matt Ryan, Julio Jones and a good running game which got 7 TD receptions out of him. Yeah, that's where Mack went too.And just out of curiosity WHY did Kyle Shanahan want out of Cleveland? Could it have been the unparalleled professionalism of Ray Farmer influencing the desire to leave?

It's also funny how 100% of our problems today inexplicably have zero to do with the sum of all decisions from 1999 through 2015. There couldn't have possibly been any land mines for a first year regime to side-step.

Yeah, good ole Mike Florio ripped Cleveland for showing Pryor NO love or respect at all almost as if it wasn't the only franchise that gave the unemployed WR a job. ....... I am so happy for the brat and Rosenhaus.

Fuck Pryor....he got what he asked for....

I get a kick out of how much people suddenly LIKED the Schwartz they always used to complain about in pass pro here. The only guy I remembered typing good things about Schwartz prior to PFF was Tour .... And magically, when we didn't KEEP him - he suddenly had the most fans on the team next to Alex Mack of course.

Id dispute that...I defended Schwartz for several years, while EVERYBODY(Tour included) ripped him......went on and on about him starting every game, being reliable, etc etc etc....then started a year early on how we should sign him AHEAD OF TIME(ala Bitonio).....but, didnt happen....

And BTW, Taylor Gabriel never had more fans for his 1 TD reception here in 2 years and his yards per catch that went down from 17.3 to 8.6 in life after Kyle Shanahan here with Flip's offense. So GUESS where he went so he could be meaningful? Kyle Shanahan's offense...

Read 2016 preseason threads.....we talked on and on about Gabe....how he was leading the team in catches, how some of us hoped they wouldnt cut him.....and then our reaction when we they did?.....some of us hated that move LONG BEFORE he blew up in Atlanta...

And Id asked why we cut players who can excel if used properly.....do we not have the offensive coaching here to maximize players talents??? (thought Hue was an offensive guru)

It's also funny how 100% of our problems today inexplicably have zero to do with the sum of all decisions from 1999 through 2015. There couldn't have possibly been any land mines for a first year regime to side-step.

Um...zero?!?!.....who the hell said that?..... Fluges....we can only deal with what we can control....which is NOW......would you prefer to sit here(like many do...) and whine and whine about 1999 thru 2015,.....????.....or should we address whats happening now and just accept that this FO inherited a mess....just like the last one....and the one before that....and the one before that....

No one is blaming this FO for creating the mess(but every time we complain, you just say Farmer)....we just want to see improvements over what the previous regimes did.....and when we dont, we discuss and point it out.....and when we do, the answer ISNT to point to the past and say this FO gets a pass, because the others sucked too.....

we want better.....not the same....

?? you mean Browns?? We don't know that yet.

One of us does... :) ... at least for a certain Mock...

1 year contracts are a death sentence. Pryor is a fool.

They are a gamble for sure, but I don't think the odds are anywhere near "death sentence".

Especially if you consider that every player in the final year of their current contract are under a "one-year deal".

I get a kick out of how much people suddenly LIKED the Schwartz they always used to complain about in pass pro here. The only guy I remembered typing good things about Schwartz prior to PFF was Tour .... And magically, when we didn't KEEP him - he suddenly had the most fans on the team next to Alex Mack of course.

Id dispute that...I defended Schwartz for several years, while EVERYBODY(Tour included) ripped him......went on and on about him starting every game, being reliable, etc etc etc....then started a year early on how we should sign him AHEAD OF TIME(ala Bitonio).....but, didnt happen....

This round of The Memory Game goes to Mud... except for the "several years" part... ;)

Now 4 years is several?

Early on I did rip Schwartz... because he was bad... a bad run blocker and an even worse PassPro. He graded out at the bottom of our OL.

But what did happen is that he improved... dramatically. My grades showed this... and I'm pretty sure PFF's did as well. I can remember writing in year 4 that he was actually mirroring Joe's kick-slide form in PassPro. It also helped that we moved away from the ZBS, which, although improved as well, was not Mitch's strong suit.

Yeah, good ole Mike Florio ripped Cleveland for showing Pryor NO love or respect at all almost as if it wasn't the only franchise that gave the unemployed WR a job. ....... I am so happy for the brat and Rosenhaus. - Flugel

Fuck Pryor....he got what he asked for.... - Mud

I get a kick out of how much people suddenly LIKED the Schwartz they always used to complain about in pass pro here. The only guy I remembered typing good things about Schwartz prior to PFF was Tour .... That's not to say a few others didn't, he's just the only one I recalled. And magically, when we didn't KEEP him - he suddenly had the most fans on the team next to Alex Mack of course. - Flugel

Id dispute that...I defended Schwartz for several years, while EVERYBODY(Tour included) ripped him......went on and on about him starting every game, being reliable, etc etc etc....then started a year early on how we should sign him AHEAD OF TIME(ala Bitonio).....but, didnt happen....- Mud

No need to dispute it. Your cut and paste never included the part in bold I had to put back in above so you can see the proper context it was in prior to your reply. FWIW, I often made it a point to say we could always run outside of BOTH of our tackles before we had reliability inside of them. Greco never found a comfy niche until he moved to RG in 2014. And all the time in between Steinbach and Bitonio at LG was a disaster wasting/nullifying the value of Thomas and Mack far too much for comfort. The ZBS put both Mack and Schwartz back into their comfortable college schemes that made them 1st and 2nd round talents. Therefore, the best days of their career seemed inevitable while improvements at both Guard spots added the meatballs to the spaghetti. - Flugel

And BTW, Taylor Gabriel never had more fans for his 1 TD reception here in 2 years and his yards per catch that went down from 17.3 to 8.6 in life after Kyle Shanahan here with Flip's offense. So GUESS where he went so he could be meaningful? Kyle Shanahan's offense... - Flugel

Read 2016 preseason threads.....we talked on and on about Gabe....how he was leading the team in catches, how some of us hoped they wouldnt cut him.....and then our reaction when we they did?.....some of us hated that move LONG BEFORE he blew up in Atlanta...

And Id asked why we cut players who can excel if used properly.....do we not have the offensive coaching here to maximize players talents??? (thought Hue was an offensive guru) - Mud

I don't remember a lot of people pissed that we cut Gabriel long before hindsight 20/20 kicked in. Our 2014 staff cut Willie Snead who looks like he either should have been a keeper or he reminds us WRs can get better in their 2nd seasons (ie; Antonio Brown). After Pryor easily had the most impressive preseason here in 2015, they CUT his ass only to bring him back so late they were uncomfortable starting him. They erased an entire season full of game experience for Pryor chasing a volume as small as 3 wins? There seemed like way more complaints about him getting cut than Gabriel. But hey, we had that regime's version of FA WR Dwayne Bowe making $12 million with more of an agenda to celebrate that Scarlet Letter sitting the bench for all to see instead of learning what we had in Pryor at the time. I miss these little focking mind games between HC and FO as much as my last case of food poisoning.

Let's not pretend the previous OC (Flip) used Gabriel properly when his numbers decreased to 28 rec for 241 yards at 8.6 ypc in 2015. Let's be honest, what team misses their previous offensive coach more between Cincy (w/ Hue) in 2016 or Oakland (w/ Flip as the QB coach). Cincy dropped from 12-4 in in 2015 to 6-9-1 in 2016 while the Oakland Raiders went from 3-13 in 2014 (when Flip was QB Coach) to 7-9 the next year to 12-4 in 2016 with drastic improvement from the QB position. They only thing they had in common in Cleveland is that neither guy had the miracles of Jesus or the magic of David Copperfield so I prefer the experienced guy who was very well thought of by many of his former players like Andrew Whitworth per comments made about how lucky Cleveland was to get him. -Flugel

By the way it's also funny how 100% of our problems today inexplicably have zero to do with the sum of all decisions from 1999 through 2015. There couldn't have possibly been any land mines for a first year regime to side-step. - Flugel

Um...zero?!?!.....who the hell said that?..... Fluges....we can only deal with what we can control....which is NOW......would you prefer to sit here(like many do...) and whine and whine about 1999 thru 2015,.....????.....or should we address whats happening now and just accept that this FO inherited a mess....just like the last one....and the one before that....and the one before that.... -Mud

Exactly! And every FO up until now kept doing things the exact same way only to perpetuate our on-going frustration. There's been land mines to remove like getting ANY exchange value whatsoever for Gilbert so getting a draft pick for Gilbert was something. Andy Lee's contract was way overinflated so he was traded to Carolina and then he landed on IR while we upgraded the position. They traded for Jamie Collins and paid the guy to keep him here, which was a good move IMO. They also got something in return for Mingo right?

Guys like Schwartz and Mack weren't leaving because of 1 regime change, they left because of a bunch of them. And this coaching staff started Pryor while 30 other teams refused to compete with what we offered him as a FA today just 1 year after 32 NFL teams were willing to let him be an unemployed WR for a large part of 2015 (prior to Cleveland giving him1 more chance to impress). And now the Foreskins signed him for the exact amount Rosenhaus and his client bitched about? Who in that scenario suddenly lost touch with planet earth? - Flugel

I'll agree we felt some rookie growing pains of the FO in their first draft but that's no to say some of that can still change in the soph years. I like this FA period better than last year by a lot and I think they'll have learned enough to draft immediate impact rather than trading back. I could be wrong but this is the 1 time of year I choose to make this more fun than feeling like I'm getting teeth pulled if ya know what I mean. - Flugel

No one is blaming this FO for creating the mess(but every time we complain, you just say Farmer)....we just want to see improvements over what the previous regimes did.....and when we dont, we discuss and point it out.....and when we do, the answer ISNT to point to the past and say this FO gets a pass, because the others sucked too.....

we want better.....not the same.... - Mud

Of course we ALL want better in lieu of the same ole same ole.

You're not in here nearly as often as you used to be so I can assure you a lot of people are consistently acting like this is the only FO to blame for the sum of all the sins past and present. Getting better this time around required an approach change like getting our cap up over $100,000,000.00 while adding to the volume of picks in rounds 1-3 for 2017 and 2018. The previous trends aren't going to attract the rock star FAs at DB or WR or anything else right about now until they see evidence our FO finally knows what it is doing. This FA period is getting experienced vets here at positions of need. For all the fuss people have about Pryor, Britt had the same yardage receiving,more TDs and ypc but 9 less receptions in 1 less start than Pryor. Same value at only a 7 month difference in age so siding with experience here may suit our QBs better. While I didn't expect us to take a step backward during the rookie year of the new FO, we're now looking at picks #1 and #12 overall.

I can't show up to a calendar year without my game face. Not to worry, I haven't lost touch of how much practice I've had with this team losing. Sometimes it's just nice to dream about the opportunities at hand and live out the prefix of fanatic while we can. I'm in no hurry to get right back to "here we go again." - Flugel

This round of The Memory Game goes to Mud... except for the "several years" part... ;)

Now 4 years is several?

Early on I did rip Schwartz... because he was bad... a bad run blocker and an even worse PassPro. He graded out at the bottom of our OL.

But what did happen is that he improved... dramatically. My grades showed this... and I'm pretty sure PFF's did as well. I can remember writing in year 4 that he was actually mirroring Joe's kick-slide form in PassPro. It also helped that we moved away from the ZBS, which, although improved as well, was not Mitch's strong suit.

And when as soon as he did improve, I thought you were the first to capture it via your post game summaries of what you found on game films. I wasn't here 4 years ago so I could only say what I saw you positing about in 2015 regarding Schwartz. Having said that, Mud didn't keep everything I typed in his cut and paste of what I wrote so the part in bold below accounts for a select few I might have missed (inclusive of Mud):

I get a kick out of how much people suddenly LIKED the Schwartz they always used to complain about in pass pro here. The used to over-exaggerate how bad he was all the way up until Pro football Focus crowned him the Gran Poo Bah of RTs. The only guy I remembered typing good things about Schwartz prior to PFF was Tour when he did his weekly summaries of game film study. That's not to say a few others didn't, he's just the only one I recalled. And magically, when we didn't KEEP him - he suddenly had the most fans on the team next to Alex Mack of course.

Then why do players not want to be Franchise tagged? Death sentence where you play not to get hurt.

Yes, players are on a 1 year deal with a contract expiring, but they likely received a substantial signing bonus like Britt just did. You know, the whole deferred asset nonsense reveresed? Britt got 17 mil signing his deal. Using your Chinese math thats actually 20 - 23 million.

First, we can either continue this conversation or you can be snarky... not both.

I don't care that you disagree about how the league has historically valued future picks. I have read what I have read on the subject. I have used the guideline and seen it's use reconcile deals involving only picks. Nonetheless I recognize your right to be incorrect. But now we are on a different topic.

There... better?

I'm not saying a string of one-year deals is desirable. Any one year deal carries less security. And while the odds of betting on yourself to stay healthy are pretty good in a single year, the longer you repeat that bet more likely you are to eventually lose.

I am simply taking issue with your "death sentence" characterization. The odds simply aren't that dire.

And in Pryor's case... where at his age he only one shot at a big-money contract... I think he's made the smart play.

TBC or not? Your call...

Yeah, death sentence is harsh. Think cousins is omplaining cashing a 24m dollar check? It's not the money, but he doesn't have and security about next year.

Humans are like that...The illusion of controlling your future.

fuck schwartz. if you like numbers fine but eye test showed our QBs getting creamed from the right side.

this is all bullshit. another build up to exactly nothing. this draft will be the beginning or the end of this FO and i don't give a fuck what anyone says.

remember you all being in love with the holmgren hire??? yes, all of you, except me who can see through bullshit from 2k away. have ur happy dance now but both joes will retire without seeing the playoffs and the curse will continue until we get a real football man in the skybox.

and fuck garrett too. courtney brown v2.0. might as well resign johnny football again from that fag conference.

fuck schwartz. if you like numbers fine but eye test showed our QBs getting creamed from the right side.

this is all bullshit. another build up to exactly nothing. this draft will be the beginning or the end of this FO and i don't give a fuck what anyone says.

remember you all being in love with the holmgren hire??? yes, all of you, except me who can see through bullshit from 2k away. have ur happy dance now but both joes will retire without seeing the playoffs and the curse will continue until we get a real football man in the skybox.

and fuck garrett too. courtney brown v2.0. might as well resign johnny football again from that fag conference.

Fucking A Bro!

Archived