THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you're being dense...

Back ups are expected to prepare as if they are starters, but otherwise keep a low profile and STFU.

Starters lead.

When back ups get confused and try to lead from the bench, shit hits the fan, locker rooms divide and seasons go to hell.

Give an example of Manziel leading the Browns from the bench.

(Crickets chirping)

Actually, I think the "act like a backup" came from Haslam and I guess he could be excused for not knowing enough about motivation of JM.

You're probably right, although I dont think it was said to motivate. I thimk it was said in an effort to control.

I get a kick out of reading and listening to hype about JF. Browns fans and media discuss whether he will win the Super Bowl this year or if it will have to wait until next year.

The reality is that there is a reason he was available at 22 and there is a ton of skepticism about his overall ability. Granted, the pundits are often wrong but when there are as many of them on his down side as there are on his upside, I would take a wait and see attitude.

Rookie coach, either a washout QB with a bum knee or a rookie QB thats short, questionable recievers.... no superbowl this year.

However, perhaps in a couple of years if Pettine, Farmer, and Haslam get their shit together.

Rookie coach, either a washout QB with a bum knee or a rookie QB thats short, questionable recievers.... no superbowl this year.

However, perhaps in a couple of years if Pettine, Farmer, and Haslam get their shit together.

What have Farmer and Pettine done to make you think their shit is not already together?

They've been on the job 5 months and they've already added three quality starters on defense, upgraded the depth everywhere and drafted your boyfriend. Who the fuck are you to say their shit is not together? I suspect you kinda like it loosely packed anyway.

Zombo

It was Haslem that said "You're the backup" and that is exactly where he is on the depth chart until he earns the starting role.

When you are drafted #22, you have to earn things, they aren't handed to you.

Haslem also said he was told by a homeless guy to draft Manziel. I bet even the homeless guy would expect him to earn his spot.

If I were you, I'd quit worrying about what Jimmy says to the media, because it is ALL about what Hoyer and Manziel do on the field.

Best man starts. And if your man is half as good as you think he is, you can sit back and relax.

Zombo

The best thing the Browns got in JM was a self motivator and leader by example. Every time he has concluded that he needed to get better in certain areas he has used the offseason to address it After the Heisman season he knew he had to learn to think pass first, run second if he wanted to eventually turn pro. So go look at his stats for his second year, far better passer from the pocket and almost half the prior year's running yards. And don't be fooled into thinking he has always been a shotgun QB. His first year was running Mike Sherman's Pro-style i offense with the scout team.

All that said I know he is fully aware he has a lot to learn before becoming a starter. And I have confidence in Pettine not to push him too fast too soon unless injury forces his hand.

Yes, Pettine is Wannstedtesque so far. :D

Until he p r o v e s different on the sideline.

Well, one never knows. Sure....Pettine is in his first HC gig after some years as a defensive coach/DC. And you want to compare him to another DC that pretty much failed as an HC in the NFL.

But then....a few other names fit that same bill: Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Don Shula...and a number of others.

It was Haslem that said "You're the backup" and that is exactly where he is on the depth chart until he earns the starting role.

When you are drafted #22, you have to earn things, they aren't handed to you.

Haslem also said he was told by a homeless guy to draft Manziel. I bet even the homeless guy would expect him to earn his spot.

If I were you, I'd quit worrying about what Jimmy says to the media, because it is ALL about what Hoyer and Manziel do on the field.

Best man starts. And if your man is half as good as you think he is, you can sit back and relax.

Zombo

I think the bone of contention is not JM being told he is the backup. As you pointed out, no one should expect anything different. The problem is Haslam saying he should "act like a backup". If Haslam had in fact said "you are the backup", it would have been no big deal. Actually, Pettine, in his remarks have been much more on the mark - it's a competition and at this point Hoyer has a commanding lead. I don't think most people have a problem with this assessment.

but it's just semantics. who cares if haslem would have said he wants him to be his shine boy. i don't get the big friggin deal. you got drafted, you just got paid. now do your job. you ARE a QB in the NFL. how many people can say that? did you even hear of brett favre when he was a falcon? all this is and all the precursor bullshit is, is a plan stirred up by JF fans, be it right or wrong, to get JF's story to continue and not to fizzle out no matter what.

i swear some of you guys won't be happy until he's riding in some ticker tape parade, in the back of an old caddy conv. with a stack of money in one hand and carrie underwood in the other while people exclaim "JF! the king of the universe!! all hail the new king!!"

Well, one never knows. Sure....Pettine is in his first HC gig after some years as a defensive coach/DC. And you want to compare him to another DC that pretty much failed as an HC in the NFL.

But then....a few other names fit that same bill: Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll, Don Shula...and a number of others.

You've proved my point.

It's silly at this point to lump Manziel in with either Weeden, McCoy, Quinn, OR Sipe, Kosar, Graham.

So why dont you backups on this boatd stop it and start posting like champions?

but it's just semantics. who cares if haslem would have said he wants him to be his shine boy. i don't get the big friggin deal. you got drafted, you just got paid. now do your job. you ARE a QB in the NFL. how many people can say that? did you even hear of brett favre when he was a falcon? all this is and all the precursor bullshit is stirred up by JF fans, be it right or wrong.

i swear some of you guys won't be happy until he's riding in some ticker tape parade with a stack of money in one hand and carrie underwood in the other while people exclaim "JF! the king of the universe!! all hail the new king!!"

Have another drink, perhaps it will dull the pain.

You guys talk like being the face of the Browns is something to be proud of.

Outside of Cleveland, right now it's a joke.

Now, should the Browns return to respectability, it might be something to be proud of.

What makes you think we give a shit what people outside of Cleveland think. Haven't you been on this site long enough to know that by now?

I concur. That is an insult of the highest order for an Oklahoman. I don't think I can be Gipper's friend on the interwebz anymore.

But in all seriousness that's like using the N word for us. Not cool Gipper, not cool.

OK, but I have still not read anything to make me see any differences.

It saddens me that it needs to be explained to you, it truly does.

Where to start? We've significantly smaller obviously. Despite our small stature, we've produced some of the greatest athletes and/or coaches (Jim Thorpe, Mickey Mantle, Johnny Bench, Bobby Cox, Troy Aikman, Warren Spahn, Bill Self, and Wes Welker to name a few) artist (Will Rodgers, Garth motherfucking Brooks, Woody Guthrie, Brad Pitt, Ron Howard, Chuck motherfucking Norris, and my one of my personal favorites, Bill Hader) talent this country has ever seen. It would be interesting to see the per capita information on said talent based on state. (I assume Gipper has this information tucked away somewhere.) I guarantee Oklahoma would rank up there.

However the biggest difference, despite my boast above (which could completely ruin my next argument, but what can I say, I'm proud to be an Oklahoman), is that we are much humbler than Texans. I know that's like saying we're nicer than Hitler but it is what it is.

FWI I feel like this is, at least, the second time I've had to defend Oklahoma on this board in my relatively short (2-3 years I believe) time here. I'm assuming the first was due to the Weeden debacle which I apologize again for. That first round of the draft was my least favorite time as a Browns fan and that's saying something.

Well, if you think it was my intent to stir up any feudal aspects between Oklahomans and Texans....you would be right.

What have Farmer and Pettine done to make you think their shit is not already together?

They've been on the job 5 months and they've already added three quality starters on defense, upgraded the depth everywhere and drafted your boyfriend. Who the fuck are you to say their shit is not together? I suspect you kinda like it loosely packed anyway.

Zombo

I didn't say their shit isn't together.

I said it remains to be seen.

Have yall had your shit together the last 30 years? You've seen bust after bust, why would these clowns be any different?

Or does that logic merely apply to QBs?

"Who the hell is Gordon?"

-everyone outside of Cleveland

Don't watch/follow pro ball much?

Only player in NFL history to have 200 yard games receiving back to back.

Here is a clue for you about football......a quarterback may throw....but he has to have someone to catch.

I didn't say their shit isn't together.

I said it remains to be seen.

Have yall had your shit together the last 30 years? You've seen bust after bust, why would these clowns be any different?

Or does that logic merely apply to QBs?

So now Farmer and Petine are clowns? I think it is time to apply Steeler fan rules to Johnny Jismlovers.

Zombo

Don't watch/follow pro ball much?

Only player in NFL history to have 200 yard games receiving back to back.

Here is a clue for you about football......a quarterback may throw....but he has to have someone to catch.

I figure miltoxic is the catcher on this board...

Here is another clue for ye who apparently has no clue how the pro game is played: Defense is what will make or break this team.

JFF could be as good as Archie Manning (who I actually compare him most closely to).....but if the Browns defense were to be anything like the Saints were for Big Archie, then Little Archie won't accomplish diddly.

Here is another clue for ye who apparently has no clue how the pro game is played: Defense is what will make or break this team.

JFF could be as good as Archie Manning (who I actually compare him most closely to).....but if the Browns defense were to be anything like the Saints were for Big Archie, then Little Archie won't accomplish diddly.

Hey, sounds like the Ravens.

Possibly......but the odds are astronomical that all the rookies in key positions will gel.

Rookie owner

Rookie FO

Rookie Head Coach

Rookie QB

Factor in the surroundings and the odds are too big to calculate. Well......maybe not too big to calculate, Vegas has the Browns at 75-1 behind a handful of other teams with no chance.

Do we think the Browns will win the Super Bowl. No, not likely. Will they much much improved? Likely. Do they have as much or more talent on this roster as the other teams in their division? Most assuredly. Do they have the temperment/ability/chutzpah to start winning? Most undecided. Does the future look good (or at least better than at the end of last year)? Absolutely.

Archived