THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i have a fantasy football player (let's say aj green) that does not make me a bengals fan? no. does it make me root for him to get certain points? yes. doesn't mean "let's go bengals!"

there are only a couple of JF fans on here who totally love him and could care less about the browns......to them i say find yourself a JF forum.

no disrespect, but why torture us with your misgivings about the team we root for to promote the player you love?

fantasy football has strong undercurrents of covert gayness

f katy

The only Browns QB to ever win a League MVP award. Yeah he wasn't that good. Ozzie lost that PO game against the raiders or he would of had a win.

Regarding Sipe's MVP- yes, he was that good for a couple of years. But to blame that playoff loss on Ozzie is ridiculous. I should know, I was there, and had a ringside seat in what was to become the Dawg Pound. If you want to pin the blame on anyone for that loss- put it on Coach Riverboat Sam. Yeah, it was cold- but they were in easy Don Cockroft FG range- that would have won the game. FWIW Newsome was triple covered- the second Sipe let go of the ball it was obvious there was no way in hell Ozzie would have a chance at it- it was badly underthrown. BTW, Dave Logan happened to be wide open on the other side.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24592825/johnny-manziels-nfl-career-is-going-to-end-badly-if-he-keeps-this-up

Since being drafted by the Cleveland Browns in May, noted college party animal Johnny Manziel has addressed those concerns by:
1. Partying in Vegas with Rob Gronkowski.
2. Guzzling from a bottle of champagne while floating on an inflatable swan in Austin.
3. Appearing on an Instagram video at a party in Houston with Drake, presumably drunk and definitely using a stack of money as a phone.
Doing one of those things is not ideal, but whatever, he's having a little fun. Doing two of them? That's a concern. Doing all three -- and all in about three weeks?
This is a train wreck we're watching.
Here's what you're not going to read: Advice to Johnny Manziel. Tell that kid to grow up? Not going to happen here. Near as I can tell, it hasn't happened anywhere. Manziel was a hellion when he got to Texas A&M and he was a hellion when he left. In between he generated so much money that coach Kevin Sumlin doubled his salary to $5 million and the school started a $450 million expansion of Kyle Field. Johnny Manziel was the Aggies' golden goose. Tough love? That was never, ever, ever going to happen at College Station.
Doesn't seem to be happening at Cleveland, either. Not yet anyway. Barely two weeks after being picked No. 22 overall, noted college party animal Johnny Manziel told Browns coach Mike Pettine that he was going to Vegas for Memorial Day. Pettine's response to his quarterback, according to Pettine himself: "Have fun."
The only place where I've seen anything resembling tough love administered to Manziel was in Wright Thompson's eye-popping ESPN The Magazine piece in July, when Manziel's father, Paul, was quoted at length as being concerned about Johnny's drinking: "It could come unraveled. And when it does, it's gonna be bad. Real bad. It's one night away from the phone ringing, and he's in jail."
Paul Manziel isn't exactly circumspect with the media. He told the New York Times in November 2012 that he bought his son a car as a bribe to get him to stop drinking as a high school junior. And that it didn't work. In the July story, Paul Manziel told ESPN that his son drinks to deal with pressure.
Whether Paul Manziel ever expressed to Johnny his concern about the phone ringing -- and it's gonna be bad, real bad -- that concern is out there, in print, and uttered by an authority figure in Manziel's life. And less than a year later, after being drafted by the Cleveland Browns and coming into a combination of pressure, free time and serious money, this is what Johnny Manziel did to address his alleged immaturity:
1. Partied in Vegas with Rob Gronkowski.
2. Guzzled from a bottle of champagne while floating on an inflatable swan in Austin.
3. Appeared on an Instagram video at a party in Houston with Drake, presumably drunk and definitely using a stack of money as a phone.
So anyway, this isn't an advice column to Manziel. The kid's a genetic lottery winner, born with abilities shared by very few people, abilities worth millions of dollars. If he doesn't have the maturity to cash in that lottery ticket and become the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, someone else will. Brian Hoyer, perhaps. It's Darwinism, survival of the fittest. If Manziel isn't fit to handle a spot on an NFL roster, someone will replace him. Boo hoo? Nah, not from me. More like: Who's next?
One thing I'm noticing this week is the lack of noise around Manziel's frat-boy summer. Have you seen much about it? Seen any hand-wringing? Me either. It's quiet, and I know why:
We're scared of the Manziel backlash. We in the media, I mean. Me right here, I know what's coming. The backlash. People who think like, um, Joe Namath, who complained about the busybodies worrying themselves about Manziel by noting, "He's gotta live his life, man. Give him some room ... In his position, he's not entitled to be a regular guy, 22 years old, 21 years old. Everything's blowing out of whack."
Two things about that: One, in the photo accompanying that story, Mr. Namath -- Mr. Voice of Reason -- is wearing a fur hoodie. Two, he's inadvertently right about this: Manziel isn't entitled to be a regular guy, 21 or 22 years old. Regular guy? Come on. Manziel's a professional athlete, and not just any professional athlete but a No. 1 draft pick. A quarterback. The Browns drafted him to be their face of the franchise. And their face of the franchise is being photographed floating on an inflatable swan when he's not slurring words into a cell phone made of money.
The thing is, Manziel knew the world would be watching. He knew the world would be clucking if he did any of the stuff he was doing at Texas A&M, when he was photographed with bottles of liquor in his hand and sparklers in his mouth and coeds on his arms. He knows people have doubts about his maturity, his ability to handle the freedom that life in the NFL affords a young millionaire.
And this is what he did, whether to stick it in the busybodies' face or simply -- and more likely -- because he can:
2. Guzzled from a bottle of champagne while floating on an inflatable swan in Austin.
3. Appeared on an Instagram video at a party in Houston with Drake, presumably drunk and definitely using a stack of money as a phone.
Johnny Manziel's NFL career hasn't started well. No chance in hell it ends well.

he is living in a society that has reached an all time low and every move he makes is recorded, documented and judged.

everyone is a photog or videographer now with the invention of the camera phone. hope you don't need a hand from joe public because they'll be too busy recording your demise rather than dropping the fucking thing to help you.

http://www.cbssports.com/general/writer/gregg-doyel/24592825/johnny-manziels-nfl-career-is-going-to-end-badly-if-he-keeps-this-up

Here's what you're not going to read: Advice to Johnny Manziel. Tell that kid to grow up? Not going to happen here. Near as I can tell, it hasn't happened anywhere. Manziel was a hellion when he got to Texas A&M and he was a hellion when he left. In between he generated so much money that coach Kevin Sumlin doubled his salary to $5 million and the school started a $450 million expansion of Kyle Field. Johnny Manziel was the Aggies' golden goose. Tough love? That was never, ever, ever going to happen at College Station.
Doesn't seem to be happening at Cleveland, either. Not yet anyway. Barely two weeks after being picked No. 22 overall, noted college party animal Johnny Manziel told Browns coach Mike Pettine that he was going to Vegas for Memorial Day. Pettine's response to his quarterback, according to Pettine himself: "Have fun."
The only place where I've seen anything resembling tough love administered to Manziel was in Wright Thompson's eye-popping ESPN The Magazine piece in July, when Manziel's father, Paul, was quoted at length as being concerned about Johnny's drinking: "It could come unraveled. And when it does, it's gonna be bad. Real bad. It's one night away from the phone ringing, and he's in jail."
Paul Manziel isn't exactly circumspect with the media. He told the New York Times in November 2012 that he bought his son a car as a bribe to get him to stop drinking as a high school junior. And that it didn't work. In the July story, Paul Manziel told ESPN that his son drinks to deal with pressure.
Whether Paul Manziel ever expressed to Johnny his concern about the phone ringing -- and it's gonna be bad, real bad -- that concern is out there, in print, and uttered by an authority figure in Manziel's life. And less than a year later, after being drafted by the Cleveland Browns and coming into a combination of pressure, free time and serious money, this is what Johnny Manziel did to address his alleged immaturity:
So anyway, this isn't an advice column to Manziel. The kid's a genetic lottery winner, born with abilities shared by very few people, abilities worth millions of dollars. If he doesn't have the maturity to cash in that lottery ticket and become the starting quarterback for the Cleveland Browns, someone else will. Brian Hoyer, perhaps. It's Darwinism, survival of the fittest. If Manziel isn't fit to handle a spot on an NFL roster, someone will replace him. Boo hoo? Nah, not from me. More like: Who's next?

Johnny Manziel's NFL career hasn't started well. No chance in hell it ends well.

Johnny Manziel doesnt live in a box. Alcoholism is an issue for people around the world for thousands of years. Only thing different about JF is he is living in a society that has reached an all time low and every move he makes is recorded, documented and judged. All of us that enjoy drinking have to be careful with its downfalls. Especially kids who dont understand the limits yet.

Listen to Joe kid.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000360606/article/joe-haden-to-johnny-manziel-get-a-phone-valet

It's enough for concern- heavy binge drinking starting in HS is heading down the wrong path fast- any drug counselor will tell you that.

I'm 99% certain Johnny will drink his way out of the NFL.

I just know. How? Because I'm a Cleveland Brown's fan.

So that means that he's going to have a stellar NFL career. After all, I'm sure you predict us to have 10-6 seasons every year and we do the opposite.

Camp isn't close to starting and our vets are having to "go on the record" regarding their thoughts & advice on JB's off the field antics. He's already a distraction, just wait until camp/pre-season/season starts.................. Careful what you wish for, you may get it.

I think when someone like Haden speaks you should listen. He said everyone is having fun but have to be careful with his friends and their cell phones. I agree with that but i dont think Manziel cares if they record him. He probably should because it can become a distraction once the season starts. Its the offseason, not a big deal. Alot of people binge drink, its not a big of deal. As long as you dont break the law and your play on the field doesnt suffer.

But how many of these people will be the face of a NFL franchise? I can't see how a long night of binge drinking won't affect practice the next day.

Camp isn't close to starting and our vets are having to "go on the record" regarding their thoughts & advice on JB's off the field antics. He's already a distraction, just wait until camp/pre-season/season starts.................. Careful what you wish for, you may get it.

Tell that to the 16 year old internet poster.

1. He's a Pro now, not an amateur college kid.

2. The Browns are paying him a lot of $ and like anyone else, he has to do what they expect of him.

3. Grow up.

ps. I'll be working around my house, and making sure I can put my daughter through college while paying all my bills. :)

Don't like it?

GTFO

No one is forcing you to read it are they? Worse than "hating" is whining about it.

The lil guy likes the sauce a bit too much. Its ruined careers the world over. Its a legitimate concern, so fuck off if you don't like the discussion his behavior brings about.

He has the pedigree for future booze struggles. He was raised in a privileged home with an atmosphere promoting drinking. He began drinking heavy at a young age. There have

already been a considerable amount of damage control after intense media coverage of his drinking jaunts. He has a support system in place already to protect him from any partying

back wash.

Don't like it?

GTFO

No one is forcing you to read it are they? Worse than "hating" is whining about it.

The lil guy likes the sauce a bit too much. Its ruined careers the world over. Its a legitimate concern, so fuck off if you don't like the discussion his behavior brings about.

Considering as I've been around a fuckload longer than you, how about you just suck my dick?

Oh no, a college kid is drinking too much? Better call AA, we got a future member on our hands.

Get the hell out of here with your bullshit. Most of you can't legitimately break down the kid's game on your own, so you find other bullshit to nitpick. You know who else is a drunk? Joe Namath. And Brett Favre. And Dan Marino. And Bernie fucking Kosar.

Do you have problems with the way any of them played the game?

The JF haters post more than the JF fans.

You guys are like catty old bitches. Shut the fuck up and stop it already, dweebs.

and you young guys need to grow up, and soon.

Hopefully JM will follow the same path he did in college once fall practice began. Strictly football. In fact many people noted that start of real football was best for him because was football 24/7 and didn't have time for silliness. The one exception was the Scooby Doo Halloween thing and most viewed that innocently. Unfortunately he does show distinct signs of hyperactivity and that seems to get him in trouble.

and you young guys need to grow up, and soon.

I'm sure you're parents said the same thing about your generation much like your grandparents said that about your parents and your great grandparents about your grandparents and so on and so on.

Archived