THE BROWNS BOARD

Coronavirus as political weapon

The coronavirus pandemic is closing schools. How will kids eat?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/health/coronavirus-school-closing-lunches-kids-eat/index.html

Do people really think schools are daycares?  If poor people can't afford bread and peanut butter or teach their kids how to make a sandwich, then wtf?  The title should be:

Coronavirus exposes fucked up parents!

Cheap apples are literally 3 for $1.  This is stupid!  When Obama was in office it was all about how bad school lunches were for the kids, NOW it's about how they won't survive without them.  Pick a side already.

Can't wait for the first jackass to come out and blame Trump (probably) for his kid not eating in 2 weeks.

13 minutes ago, htownbrown said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/11/health/coronavirus-school-closing-lunches-kids-eat/index.html

Do people really think schools are daycares?  If poor people can't afford bread and peanut butter or teach their kids how to make a sandwich, then wtf?  The title should be:

Cheap apples are literally 3 for $1.  This is stupid!  When Obama was in office it was all about how bad school lunches were for the kids, NOW it's about how they won't survive without them.  Pick a side already.

Can't wait for the first jackass to come out and blame Trump (probably) for his kid not eating in 2 weeks.

Actually,  in a lot of cases, inner city  schools are daycares. We had the "Preschool Promise" foisted on us here in Dayton.  Tax subsidized pre K daycare. I call it  "The Romper Room  Romise". 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, htownbrown said:

And if you need to work when your young children are normally in school? I could see that being a difficult situation

1 hour ago, MLD Woody said:

And if you need to work when your young children are normally in school? I could see that being a difficult situation

School is not a day care.  I would support mandatory sick pay for anyone who is forced to stay home to take care of their kids however.  And for people who have it.  Least thing you need is COVID-19 spreading thru contagious workers.

33 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Dumbest decision so far is the Euro travel ban that excluded 400+ positive case England. Numskull still does not understand geography and/or data apparently.

not really. Adding England to it is still a possibility. The difference is, the EU mandates free travel between countries, like it's all one country.

England bailed on that fiasco. Now they are free to decide their own immediate actions to try to keep England as free from (too much) corona virus.

The EU is a conglomerate of "we tell you what you can do, and you do it" goofs. China takes serious blame for it escaping China, but I believe the EU takes serious blame for expanding the spread of the virus.

So, the delay in banning travel to and from England makes sense. for now.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Please go lick doorknobs at the local homeless shelter...

You need to come up with more novel approaches. Maybe invite a S. Korean visitor in for dinner since there is no travel ban on the second leading coronavirus country. Yeah, this is one smart MF in the WH. And of course the ban does not apply to Americans returning from Europe either. LOL!

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

School is not a day care.  I would support mandatory sick pay for anyone who is forced to stay home to take care of their kids however.  And for people who have it.  Least thing you need is COVID-19 spreading thru contagious workers.

That would make sense too

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Dumbest decision so far is the Euro travel ban that excluded 400+ positive case England. Numskull still does not understand geography and/or data apparently.

The dumbest decision so far has been from the democrats who have fought travel bans. The early travel ban from China which the democrats opposed and called Trump a racist over helped immensely. If the European countries had done the same early with a China travel ban they likely wouldn't have had so much spread of the virus.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The dumbest decision so far has been from the democrats who have fought travel bans. The early travel ban from China which the democrats opposed and called Trump a racist over helped immensely. If the European countries had done the same early with a China travel ban they likely wouldn't have had so much spread of the virus.

But a travel ban with major "outs" is just as ineffective. Closing the barn door with the back door still open makes zero sense.

13 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

But a travel ban with major "outs" is just as ineffective. Closing the barn door with the back door still open makes zero sense.

I would not say just as ineffective but less effective than a world wide travel ban.  Since the coronavirus is now a world wide pandemic than to be totally effective it would have to be a world wide travel ban.

After the China travel ban (that was effective)  the virus problem has been spreading in this country primarily from those traveling here from European countries that did  not have a China travel ban . A travel ban from Europe is a good decision. 

11 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I would not say just as ineffective but less effective than a world wide travel ban.  Since the coronavirus is now a world wide pandemic than to be totally effective it would have to be a world wide travel ban.

After the China travel ban (that was effective)  the virus problem has been spreading in this country primarily from those traveling here from European countries that did  not have a China travel ban . A travel ban from Europe is a good decision. 

You miss the point entirely. It does not ban Americans coming back from Europe or people coming from the British Isles or people coming from high case S. Korea. Either you do it right or don't do it at all. May was well be pouring water into a sieve to see how much water you can measure.

I was curious to know what my American friends thought about the Coronavirus, so I checked this forum. 

I hate it being used as a political weapon, either way. But politicians are known for using anything in their advantage. 

Anyway, the situation in Spain is increasingly alarming (3,000 infected as of today). We are closing schools, etc for some weeks. No soccer either. No events. It's the second day I stay trying to work at home. 

I think that we should go into lockdown, because Italy had same numbers a week ago and got it's Health Care system overflooded. Better preventing earlier than trying to maneuver when it's already late. 

I know it doesn't have a high mortal rate, but taking care of the ill can affect immensely a country, plus there are some groups with higher risk. It flies under the radar and surely it's not the end of world, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't act fast to prevent it from spreading. 

EDIT: I don't know how will it affect US, anyway. Probably, is going to get a high number of cases due to it's population. I don't know how the Private Health Insurance System is going to hold, or if there will be some social trouble if many people are left unattended. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

You miss the point entirely. It does not ban Americans coming back from Europe or people coming from the British Isles or people coming from high case S. Korea. Either you do it right or don't do it at all. May wast well be pouring water into a sieve to see how much water you can measure.

No I get the point. But I disagree with what you are saying. The analogy I would use is different than yours. I see a huge amount of water flowing through being reduced significantly (and not just water being poured through a sieve). With the problem being reduced significantly we will be able to screen better those coming in from the other countries not included in the travel ban.

It is easy to say we should ban a host of other countries too but there is an economic impact to this we have to consider. We are seeing already a huge negative economic impact with the European travel ban.

My biggest concern is can we stop the spread of the virus without taking the extreme measures that China took? China put a city of millions into lockdown? Communist China took measures that we in a free country will not be able to take.

I still believe this virus escaped from a viral lab in China and may have been a weaponized version of the flu. There is a good amount of circumstantial evidence that it did but we can probably never prove it and China will never admit to it.

Today we hear the virus can live in the air for hours as well as living for so long on inanimate objects.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

To put it a little  differently  Ag, it's  too late to close the barn door  after the horses have gotten  out. And the horses (virus) HAVE gotten out. Only thing we can do is try and minimize the effects of the upcoming  stampede. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if the coronavirus was deliberately unleashed by China. I think more likely it escaped their lab by poor security measures but either way it is China's fault we are dealing with this virus. We know for sure they kept it secret from the world until it was a crisis there and they couldn't keep it secret any longer.

The Chinese Knew What They Were Doing in Spreading the Wuhan Virus

https://www.redstate.com/stu-in-sd/2020/03/12/the-chinese-knew-what-they-were-doing-in-spreading-the-wuhan-virus/

Iran Digs Graves the Size of Football Fields as Muslim Clerics Tell People to Kiss to Fight Wuhan Coronavirus

https://www.redstate.com/bonchie/2020/03/12/iran-is-digging-mass-graves-as-muslim-clerics-tell-people-to-kiss-to-fight-wuhan-coronavirus/

* this is the country Trump has been rightfully working hard to keep from getting nuclear weapons.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

Actually,  in a lot of cases, inner city  schools are daycares. We had the "Preschool Promise" foisted on us here in Dayton.  Tax subsidized pre K daycare. I call it  "The Romper Room  Romise". 

Preschool implies it's before actual schooling begins.  After that, it's actual school time.  I'm fine with preschool or any school for that matter having subsidized lunches, to an extent.

My point is, if you can't manage to afford basic and cheap food for your kid for a short amount of time, you're an unfit parent.

39 minutes ago, OldBrownsFan said:

The NCAA basketball tournaments can't be far behind....  Most of the conference tournaments are already cancelled....  

EDIT: Kansas said they're not travelling, and Duke shut all athletics down. That's pretty much the end if the #1 team in the country is out of the picture...  https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/coronavirus-updates-major-college-basketball-conferences-cancel-league-tournaments/live/

Sucks here in Dayton with the Flyers having the best season in school history getting shafted out of the opportunity to prove it in the Big Dance.... 

Already said it- if you had plans to hit the NFL draft in 'Vegas, you had better reconsider....