THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Rosen

Browns149

On 7/30/2022 at 5:41 AM, Flugel said:

This team was 1-31 the 2 seasons before Baker.  It was winless the 1st 2 games he didn't start as a rookie and sporting a 10 or 14 point deficit in his first appearance vrs the Jets in week 3.  With the same teammates that were winless that year and losing that night - Baker led the team to victory.  They finished 7-8-1, which means they were 7-7 with the rookie and 0-1-1 without him 1 year after the 0-16 football some people sound like they really missed all of a sudden.  

People seem like they're in a huge hurry to get Baker on that t-shirt full of failed QBs here.  The guy was our QB in just his 3rd year here where this team went 11-5 and won a playoff game.  That said, he got injured the next year and people want to make that the tell-all about how Baker was the whole time here. Is he elite?  No, but Watson is so he gets excused for having only 1 post season win with a bad organization?  Like you alluded to Baker has 1 post season win but he can't walk on water yet so giddyup and get his ass outta here because Jed Clampett is hunting for oil again...

Like the comedian Stephen Wright that named his puppy Stay just to mess with him during training.  Come here STAY!  That's what we're doing with the QB position this year even if Watson is elite.  He'll miss about half the season which means there will be the inevitable rust of 1.5 years of not playing any NFL games.  That means the easiest part of the schedule will already have been played with a pretty unforgiving schedule in front of him.  

The next year is when our cap will face the challenges of what vets to keep around Watson's 230 million cap hit.  The challenges aren't just that but how will we problem solve any injuries to the vets that were prioritized to stay.  Have any of the QBs drafted in the Haslam era survived their length of 1st contract??  I ask that to remind people he may never be a patient enough guy to complete the investment ANY QB needs.  Changing FO staff, HCs and OCs the way he has done so frequently on young QBs means they train the QB fire the Coaches, deprogram previous training - give new training and rinse and repeat as often as they did it to Baker.  And guess who doesn't understand why he needs another QB all over again?  

He had the heart, passion, and work ethic to win us a superbowl. I'd take a Trent Dilfer everyone loves over a premadonna who's in it for himself.

2 hours ago, stillmotion said:

He had the heart, passion, and work ethic to win us a superbowl. I'd take a Trent Dilfer everyone loves over a premadonna who's in it for himself.

He really did. He showed it his whole underdog career. It would have been awesome to see him comeback from that injury and inspire the team and fans alike.

too bad.

• Upvote 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:34 AM, syd said:

a ya i know only day 4 of training camp but still rosen is listed as 4th in the depth chart 

I don't see a depth chart on the Browns site.

I think we're going to have to consider giving considerable time to the first team in pre season so that the starting QB's can get some sync with their new team.  

On 7/29/2022 at 4:05 PM, tiamat63 said:

The Browns shouldn't be, and they aren't,  trying to replace Baker as a person or player.  But they are going to try to replicate certain production.  More to the point, competent QB production while Deshaun is (likely) suspended.  

At 199YPG,  5.87 NY/A, 1.2 TD PG, .4 INT PG  with an (2019 Colts) Oline (per PFF, not that I'm huge on them at times) ranked  at #3 ....   the Browns are firmly in Jacoby Brissett (2019)  territory when it comes down to replicating the mean of the last 4 years of QB stats. 

Like I said after I broke down several of his plays, I fully expect Jacoby's stats to be in line with Bakers by the time he surrenders the job to Deshaun. And there's a good deal of statistical history on that side of the argument to have that expectation. 

I swear you put some tape work into Jacoby somewhere in a topic & hells/bells if I can find it...

Camp days, I'm not seeing many honest reads on what Jacoby is getting in reps.. The reps I have seen.. are mostly RPO's with mixed Play Action (hey/He can move LEFT & right)..Most are underneath routes that D-cords will surely game-plan against..   

Have ya seen any of Jacoby's deep ball looks over 25 yards ?  His Saturday (duck) he chucked up looked touble-some.. 

I've met Jacoby at NC State twice at basketball games...Great Guy! one hand shake & that man has huge hands.. He's always been great with his ball security..Baker..not !

18 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I've met Jacoby at NC State twice at basketball games...Great Guy! one hand shake & that man has huge hands.. He's always been great with his ball security..Baker..not !

A lesser point, but not insignificant, we can now run QB sneaks.  Baker could generate no push and was apt to fumble the ball.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

I swear you put some tape work into Jacoby somewhere in a topic & hells/bells if I can find it...

Camp days, I'm not seeing many honest reads on what Jacoby is getting in reps.. The reps I have seen.. are mostly RPO's with mixed Play Action (hey/He can move LEFT & right)..Most are underneath routes that D-cords will surely game-plan against..   

Have ya seen any of Jacoby's deep ball looks over 25 yards ?  His Saturday (duck) he chucked up looked touble-some.. 

Baker and JB have some similar weaknesses. Their deep ball (when not wide open) is one of those shared weaknesses. 

• 4 weeks later...