THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns sign Rosen

Browns149

21 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

This game will forever be known for Brandon Weeden getting stuck under the giant American flag just before starting his first NFL game.

It all went downhill for him from then. 

I’d probably say it was before that…at the time we were spiraling downward for years with no end in sight and we drafted him. 

But I remember watching that and didn’t realize it was his first game or week 1 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’d probably say it was before that…at the time we were spiraling downward for years with no end in sight and we drafted him. 

But I remember watching that and didn’t realize it was his first game or week 1 

I believe I made roughly 395,242 geriatric jokes at Weeden's expense on the old message board I was on. 

He was practically the same age when the Browns drafted him as Jim Brown was when he retired. He was so old, his social security number matched his jersey number. His Gatorade bottle was filled with prune juice. 

Weeden was the perfect example why completion percentage in college can be so misleading, kind of like the guy we drafted a few years later that also was from the Big 12. 

• Upvote 1

wasnt sure where to put this and didnt feel it needed its own thread but before DW we went after wilson and he flat out gave us the middle finger and said hell no to playing in Cleveland so heres to wilson falling on his face in denver Like i cared anyway

Personally speaking, I fully expect Jacoby Brissett to be the starting QB for most, if not all of this season. I also fully expect him to play just as well as Baker ever did.

Feel free to quote this because you know I certainly will...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Personally speaking, I fully expect Jacoby Brissett to be the starting QB for most, if not all of this season. I also fully expect him to play just as well as Baker ever did.

Feel free to quote this because you know I certainly will...

And cal will if you are wrong. But no fear..............................you won't hear a peep if you are right.🙈🐤🙊

• Haha 1

Anybody ever see the movie MoneyBall?  Good film.  If you haven't seen it, I would give it a recommend if you're having a relaxing weekend like I intend. 

Anyway, in said movie there's a line - about trying to replace players.  The A's shouldn't be trying to buy and replace players so much as they should be trying to buy and replace runs, more specifically - getting on base.

The Browns shouldn't be, and they aren't,  trying to replace Baker as a person or player.  But they are going to try to replicate certain production.  More to the point, competent QB production while Deshaun is (likely) suspended.  

2020 is regarded as the high water mark for Baker, at least as some perceive "good" QBing.   In 2020 he averaged 222 YPG, 6.64 NY/A, 1.625 TD PG and .5 Int PG. 

At 199YPG,  5.87 NY/A, 1.2 TD PG, .4 INT PG  with an (2019 Colts) Oline (per PFF, not that I'm huge on them at times) ranked  at #3 ....   the Browns are firmly in Jacoby Brissett (2019)  territory when it comes down to replicating the mean of the last 4 years of QB stats. 

Like I said after I broke down several of his plays, I fully expect Jacoby's stats to be in line with Bakers by the time he surrenders the job to Deshaun. And there's a good deal of statistical history on that side of the argument to have that expectation. 

Getting the defense ready and praying for health is another matter entirely. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

The Browns shouldn't be, and they aren't,  trying to replace Baker as a person or player.  But they are going to try to replicate certain production.

DW had a first-team-All-Pro and arguably Player of the Year season in 2020 with the 23rd-ranked OL.  DW led the NFL in yards throwing [and yards/attempt, and yards/catch] behind that OL.. and that was the year of the Hopkins trade just before week1, so his WR's that season were actually comparable to Browns.  And DW has made the pro bowl every year he's started the full season.

Baker's OL in 2019? Yep, 23rd.  And BM was just slightly out of the all-pro race that year.

Cooper already calls DW "the magician" for good reason.

The 2022 part that's encouraging is that they are going to scheme around the QB's strengths, be it DW or Brissett.  In 2019 JB had 18 TD's and 4 INT's in his 15 games of work.

9 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

DW had a first-team-All-Pro and arguably Player of the Year season in 2020 with the 23rd-ranked OL.  DW led the NFL in yards throwing [and yards/attempt, and yards/catch] behind that OL.. and that was the year of the Hopkins trade just before week1, so his WR's that season were actually comparable to Browns.  And DW has made the pro bowl every year he's started the full season.

Baker's OL in 2019? Yep, 23rd.  And BM was just slightly out of the all-pro race that year.

Cooper already calls DW "the magician" for good reason.

The 2022 part that's encouraging is that they are going to scheme around the QB's strengths, be it DW or Brissett.  In 2019 JB had 18 TD's and 4 INT's in his 15 games of work.

The most sacked QB in 2021 was Joe Burrow, yet he took his team to the SB.

Just think what the Browns paid for DW, and he’s not even the best QB in the division.

8 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

The most sacked QB in 2021 was Joe Burrow, yet he took his team to the SB.

Just think what the Browns paid for DW, and he’s not even the best QB in the division.

Just imagine how big the difference would be if Baker was still the QB.

And Watson is arguably as good, if not better, than Burrow. 

10 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Just imagine how big the difference would be if Baker was still the QB.

DW played on a shitty team in a shitty division, and if he takes the Browns to the SB…I’ll gladly eat a plate of crow.

However, if a DW led Browns team makes a quick exit in the playoffs the difference between him and Baker would be the same.

2 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

DW played on a shitty team in a shitty division, and if he takes the Browns to the SB…I’ll gladly eat a plate of crow.

However, if a DW led Browns team makes a quick exit in the playoffs the difference between him and Baker would be the same.

This team was 1-31 the 2 seasons before Baker.  It was winless the 1st 2 games he didn't start as a rookie and sporting a 10 or 14 point deficit in his first appearance vrs the Jets in week 3.  With the same teammates that were winless that year and losing that night - Baker led the team to victory.  They finished 7-8-1, which means they were 7-7 with the rookie and 0-1-1 without him 1 year after the 0-16 football some people sound like they really missed all of a sudden.  

People seem like they're in a huge hurry to get Baker on that t-shirt full of failed QBs here.  The guy was our QB in just his 3rd year here where this team went 11-5 and won a playoff game.  That said, he got injured the next year and people want to make that the tell-all about how Baker was the whole time here. Is he elite?  No, but Watson is so he gets excused for having only 1 post season win with a bad organization?  Like you alluded to Baker has 1 post season win but he can't walk on water yet so giddyup and get his ass outta here because Jed Clampett is hunting for oil again...

Like the comedian Stephen Wright that named his puppy Stay just to mess with him during training.  Come here STAY!  That's what we're doing with the QB position this year even if Watson is elite.  He'll miss about half the season which means there will be the inevitable rust of 1.5 years of not playing any NFL games.  That means the easiest part of the schedule will already have been played with a pretty unforgiving schedule in front of him.  

The next year is when our cap will face the challenges of what vets to keep around Watson's 230 million cap hit.  The challenges aren't just that but how will we problem solve any injuries to the vets that were prioritized to stay.  Have any of the QBs drafted in the Haslam era survived their length of 1st contract??  I ask that to remind people he may never be a patient enough guy to complete the investment ANY QB needs.  Changing FO staff, HCs and OCs the way he has done so frequently on young QBs means they train the QB fire the Coaches, deprogram previous training - give new training and rinse and repeat as often as they did it to Baker.  And guess who doesn't understand why he needs another QB all over again?  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm dying to see this QB match-up this season... Burrow & Ja'marr Chase have admitted that a Joe Woods defense is a poor match for them.. Chase admits to watching D.Ward tape in his off-season...

Get your Popcorn 🍿ready dawgs ! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canton Dawg said:

The results, yes, would be the same.

But what you are saying is that because Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and Dan Marino never did, that Dilfer was as good or better than Marino. 

Watson is a better QB than Baker, honestly, its not even debatable. This fact, though, guarantees NOTHING for future success for the Browns. Here's the thing, though.... in a conference packed with talented, young QBs like Allen, Mahomes, Burrows, Herbert, Jackson, etc and now a very good vet Wilson, rolling with Baker Mayfield wasn't an option the Browns felt great about. 

The Browns front office and coaching staff didn't want to hitch their Cleveland careers to Baker, and I get that. But if the Watson Experiment doesn't get them any farther, they'll be looking for new jobs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

The results, yes, would be the same.

But what you are saying is that because Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and Dan Marino never did, that Dilfer was as good or better than Marino. 

Watson is a better QB than Baker, honestly, its not even debatable. This fact, though, guarantees NOTHING for future success for the Browns. Here's the thing, though.... in a conference packed with talented, young QBs like Allen, Mahomes, Burrows, Herbert, Jackson, etc and now a very good vet Wilson, rolling with Baker Mayfield wasn't an option the Browns felt great about. 

The Browns front office and coaching staff didn't want to hitch their Cleveland careers to Baker, and I get that. But if the Watson Experiment doesn't get them any farther, they'll be looking for new jobs. 

I’ve never said that Mayfield was better than DW, I always held the belief that he is only a marginal upgrade over Baker. Not only do their numbers prove it, but so do their resumes.

Nick Chubb is better than Beanie Wells, Myles Garrett is better than Jabal Sheard, JOK is better than Joe Shoebert, Kevin Stefanski is better than Hue Jackson. This team has improved in many areas, but not much success to show for it.

From what the National Sports Pundits are saying, both Berry and Stefanski are in the hot seat for this coming season.

I hope DW brings great success for the Browns, but I also think that we were more than just a QB change from being a SB contender.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

I’ve never said that Mayfield was better than DW, I always held the belief that he is only a marginal upgrade over Baker. Not only do their numbers prove it, but so do their resumes.

Baker Mayfield, who you think is marginally inferior to Deshaun Watson, was available to any team that needed him starting March 18. 

If this was true, I would have expected quite a few teams knocking down the doors at the headquarters in Berea. Instead, most teams had the enthusiasm trading for him as Lou Brown did when he received a phone call from the Indians GM to skipper the team...

"Well, I don't know, let me get back to you... I guy on the other line wanting some whitewalls...." 😉

(Note: I fully expect Baker and the Panthers to upset the Browns in the opener 🤣)

2022 NFL Week 1 lines,  from vegasinsider.com.   Might not be that much of  an upset....either way.   Biggest concern the BROWNS starting quarterback. 

Deshaun Watson will make his first start since January 2021 this September. Cleveland dealt a ton of draft capital to Houston in order to bring in Watson, and one of the teams that was also in on the quarterback was Carolina. The Panthers know that Sam Darnold is not the answer and hope that rookie Matt Corral can be the long-term answer to their quarterback issues.

On 7/28/2022 at 4:11 PM, syd said:

wasnt sure where to put this and didnt feel it needed its own thread but before DW we went after wilson and he flat out gave us the middle finger and said hell no to playing in Cleveland so heres to wilson falling on his face in denver Like i cared anyway

Well well, screw Wilson. 

Truth is he's not the qb to carry a team anyway.  He's honestly just average and wouldn't survive in the late season rain and winds.

He's all about Russell and screw the rest of the team.

Denver is probably last place in their own division this coming season and Russell will demand to be the top paid qb following this season. 

Denver and Wilson are doomed. 

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Baker Mayfield, who you think is marginally inferior to Deshaun Watson, was available to any team that needed him starting March 18. 

If this was true, I would have expected quite a few teams knocking down the doors at the headquarters in Berea. Instead, most teams had the enthusiasm trading for him as Lou Brown did when he received a phone call from the Indians GM to skipper the team...

"Well, I don't know, let me get back to you... I guy on the other line wanting some whitewalls...." 😉

(Note: I fully expect Baker and the Panthers to upset the Browns in the opener 🤣)

Well, it should be interesting to see if DW earns his keep.

I’ll set the over and under for Browns SB wins at under 1 with him under center.

Us long term Browns fans know the opening day record…so my heart says Browns but my wallet says Carolina.

36 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

Well, it should be interesting to see if DW earns his keep.

I’ll set the over and under for Browns SB wins at under 1 with him under center.

Us long term Browns fans know the opening day record…so my heart says Browns but my wallet says Carolina.

What a terrible way to start every year 0-1 again.    How about turning the tables in 2022 !   Not  2023.

Early line Cleveland-3.5 favorite,  O/U  42.5.   Put your money down better than the Mega Millions.   ;) images (3).jpeg

Edited by mjp28
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Silver slayer said:

Well well, screw Wilson...... He's honestly just average

Holy hell balls, what does that make Baker then? 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, D Bone said:

Holy hell balls, what does that make Baker then? 

Well Wilson hasn't done jack shit since the had a stalwart defense...

23 minutes ago, nickers said:

Well Wilson hasn't done jack shit since the had a stalwart defense...

Aside from being named to the Pro-bowl 6 of the last 7 seasons,  leading his team to the playoffs 5 of the last 7 seasons, none of them being a 1st round exit, having an above .500 team record 6 of the last 7 seasons all while working behind what is widely understood to be one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL and a deteriorating defense that has been below league average the last 4 seasons....

But yeah... the man hasn't accomplished "jack shit".  

Look, nobody is forcing you to be THIS fucking dumb.  You have to willfully try to achieve that goal. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Aside from being named to the Pro-bowl 6 of the last 7 seasons,  leading his team to the playoffs 5 of the last 7 seasons, none of them being a 1st round exit, having an above .500 team record 6 of the last 7 seasons all while working behind what is widely understood to be one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL and a deteriorating defense that has been below league average the last 4 seasons....

But yeah... the man hasn't accomplished "jack shit".  

Look, nobody is forcing you to be THIS fucking dumb.  You have to willfully try to achieve that goal. 

Thank you Mr Pompous know it all for chiming in... I see NFL teams are just beating down your door for your football wisdom... When you achieve your life's dream and secure a position with an NFL team. Do let us know... Until then... You are just another blow hard...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nickers said:

Thank you Mr Pompous know it all for chiming in... I see NFL teams are just beating down your door for your football wisdom...

You conflate level-headed, direct and informed for "pompous". 

You put the least, if any, amount of work into understanding the game of football and advancing your knowledge or command.   Yet you're one of the most outspoken and vulgar clowns on this board...  THAT would actually be pompous.  Your arrogance is completely undeserved when you have no knowledge or ability to justify it.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

You conflate level-headed, direct and informed for "pompous". 

You put the least, if any, amount of work into understanding the game of football and advancing your knowledge or command.   Yet you're one of the most outspoken and vulgar clowns on this board...  THAT would actually be pompous.  Your arrogance is completely undeserved when you have no knowledge or ability to justify it.   

Your arrogance amuses me... Carry on... I hate to disappoint you,,, But you're not that special..