THE BROWNS BOARD

Watson Suspended for 11 Games and Fined $5 Million / and a bit OT and back.

mjp28

This is the part that concerns me the most :

Dec. 4 -- Watson is eligible to play in Houston against his former team. It will mark 700 days since his previous game on Jan. 3, 2021.   

How can someone,  anyone miss 700 games and be near ready to play professional football in the NFL.   Plus the mental wear and tear, hmmmm.

I guess we'll see. 

For those fans of Jimmy G wondering/pondering trade? 🤔  

week 8

The 2022 trade deadline is set for November 1st. This is the Tuesday following week 8 of the 2022 season...

IMHO...  Jimmy ain't packing his family moving East for 9-12 weeks... our bye is in week 9

3 hours ago, Kvoethe said:

What was the first grand jury for?

You know what Tony Buzbee's hotel alias name is? Tony Buzbee.

The grand juries established that Watson didn't do anything criminal.  My money still says Texans ginned up the whole thing once they received his trade demand -- because they could.  How dare someone not want to play for them, etc etc.

At least now everyone involved can burn the ceremonial candle that smells of freshly signed divorce papers.

20 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

You know what Tony Buzbee's hotel alias name is? Tony Buzbee.

Right.  Any hotel/motel night manager would look at it and think Tony Buzbee yeah right, lol.    :lol: 

A buddy of mine was a nights, weekends especially during the summer. motel manager during college to make a few extra bucks.....and he was a 6' 7"  280 lb DE for a B10 team.   And great way to study or read.  He had some really good stories.   Great fake IDs for liquor and a room place.

He actually liked the job. 

4 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I did pull the trigger on a Nick Chubb jersey and luckily it has worked out well so far. I seriously was contemplating just having a jersey made with an old-school player, like Motley, Graham or Warfield. 

I got a Guardians shirt made prior to the season with... Franmil Reyes' name and number on it. After hitting bombs for two seasons for Cleveland, I get the shirt and he promptly goes in the tank and gets released two weeks ago. 😂

My Browns jerseys have Westside across the back and the number 70 for my graduating class. If I was going to wear a player jersey it would be 17 for Brian Sipe 72 for Jerry Sherkk 73 for Doug Dieken or 12 for Don Cockroft

Wife has a #6.

WSS

• Upvote 1

It would have been interesting how the last five months would have gone down on here if the Browns would have been able to trade for Russell Wilson, instead of Watson. 

Obviously, Wilson would not have had the off-field shenanigans to deal with, but he's like 33 years old, and the price tag to get him was still very high. Would there have been people upset to pay such a price for a QB his age? Would have the Baker fans been still mad the Browns moved on from him? 

We'll never know, but at least, I guess, we know when Watson will eventually play again. 

I've got a #32 in Brown and a semi-long sleeve in white.  I've got a brown double zero that says VETTEDAWG on the back.  I've always meant to buy a Kosar jersey...but have never followed through.  Oh!  And I have a #82 that shrunk in the closet.  :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Orion said:

How much will he weigh by then?

See, I watched a segment on him on ESPN earlier this evening, and I must be blind, because he sure didn't look heavy too me?

But this season is pretty much screwed. I don't have much optimism, and of course, this is the season my buddy gets season tickets and I'll be going to a few games. 

7 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

My Browns jerseys have Westside across the back and the number 70 for my graduating class. If I was going to wear a player jersey it would be 17 for Brian Sipe 72 for Jerry Sherkk 73 for Doug Dieken or 12 for Don Cockroft

Wife has a #6.

WSS

I have a #2 and a counterbalancing #95. Who could they be?:rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Don't know if you are a Browns fan long enough to be a Tim Couch guy?

Just kidding; Johnny.

Add as a newcomer, and Lone Star guy Miles?

WSS

Or Myles.  LOL!😁

But keep an eye on Aggie #61 for 2024 draft (see the thread on Centers). He's our next great pro IMO. If healthy a top 10 pick easily for a Center needy team. Heart of a rebuilt (3 starting true freshmen) OL last year. He runs the OL and strong/athletic guy.

13 hours ago, Axe said:

That's unlikely but Jacoby has never been on a team of this caliber so I expect him to play

Not to be a buzz kill.  As much as people keep talking about all of the talent on this team, neither of the 1st 2 teams Amari Cooper played for kept him around for another contract.  DPJ remains untapped despite what that long hook-up for a TD vrs Cincy showed. I like his 17.56 yards a catch. Schwartz is still the same waste of time he was last year.   This is supposed to be a TE friendly offense and yet Hooper was a big disappointment.  Njoku got a huge contract for his improvement; but this was a 1st round pick that hasn't given this team anything close to the consistency/reliability a guy like Travis Kelce has provided even before Mahomes arrived.

So, how do the Browns do when/if all they can do is run the ball vrs opponents that are well prepared for this reality?  If we have nothing to fear on the perimeter, this doesn't help whoever is playing QB.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Neo said:

Ok, it's been settled, punishment has been doled out. So how long are the people going to hold on to this? How many snarky comments about Watson do I have to read on anything Browns related that don't have anything to do with Watson? Because we all know how many perfect people there are out there with nothing to hide.

Just because its settled it does not mean we have to like the sleazeball..

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Neo said:

Ok, it's been settled, punishment has been doled out. So how long are the people going to hold on to this? How many snarky comments about Watson do I have to read on anything Browns related that don't have anything to do with Watson? Because we all know how many perfect people there are out there with nothing to hide.

For sure nobody is perfect, yeah.  But the amount of times he trespassed the line of what is right and what is wrong is enough to say that he should be punished. 

One person I thought about when I read your post was Vick.  What is the difference?  He did an awful thing, but spent his time in jail and got suspended, apologized sincerely and never committed such crimes again. 

As of Watson? 

1. He won't spend time in jail (it is not a crime or there is not enough evidence, but that doesn't mean he did any good) 

2. He made a late half ass apology that no one buys. 

3. Time hasn't passed so we can't confirm he has been "reinstated"  and isn't coming back to his "old ways". 

I want to talk about football and I'm glad the punishment has finally been settled, but this is a fuckup not only by Watson, but also by the NFL (with the two judges shenanigans), Houston and the Browns, and we will hear from it for some time, and deservedly so. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flugel said:

Not to be a buzz kill.  As much as people keep talking about all of the talent on this team, neither of the 1st 2 teams Amari Cooper played for kept him around for another contract.  DPJ remains untapped despite what that long hook-up for a TD vrs Cincy showed. I like his 17.56 yards a catch. Schwartz is still the same waste of time he was last year.   This is supposed to be a TE friendly offense and yet Hooper was a big disappointment.  Njoku got a huge contract for his improvement; but this was a 1st round pick that hasn't given this team anything close to the consistency/reliability a guy like Travis Kelce has provided even before Mahomes arrived.

So, how do the Browns do when/if all they can do is run the ball vrs opponents that are well prepared for this reality?  If we have nothing to fear on the perimeter, this doesn't help whoever is playing QB.  

I think when we talk about talent, the primary in mind are the things that make a team competitive...

- strength in the trenches

- running game 

Save for my concerns about the IDL, the Browns have a pair of the best guards in the NFL and a functional set of tackles. That's not including Conklin coming back and being healthy (dear god, please) 

We also have a great pass rush, and our running game speaks for itself. 

Jacoby hasn't been part of a team as a starter with that sort of blessing since his time in New England, and even then they have more role players than dominant individual skill players.   And yes, Miami's Oline was pretty spotty. 

Cooper, despite being traded to the cowboys and then us, is still a pretty proven vertical commodity.  DPJ is an enigma that I'm hoping catches on. And Njoku was an athlete who is finally flashing glimpses of the complete player we've been hoping he'd grow into. The last 3 years, his drop rates have all declined significantly, his blocking both inline and on the perimeter has improved as well.   I believe it's not a giant leap of faith to say he can produce more when we have an offense that is QB and volume centric.  Which we won't see probably until this time next year. 

So there is a bit of projection on the talent available here. But not such a stretch to say it isn't a reality that can be realized.  

To me, David Bell is the gear that could make this engine really go in time.  He just has that pro style look to his game where, nothing he does is flashy, but he consistently wins his routes and gives his QB a friend at almost every level of the field between his footwork, height and hands.   

Schwartz is a luxury. If he develops, that's great.  If not, I would consider him on punt returns and possibly making him a weapon for field position. But if I can't trust you to catch, then I can't trust you to field returns cleanly.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/cleveland-browns-deshaun-watson-suspended-for-11-games-fined-5m-146517573936

As to the fake act of contrition if he maintains he never did anything wrong then what is there to be rehabilitated Jimmy? This is been some of the most ridiculous dual-sided posturing we've seen in a while.

WSS

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/cleveland-browns-deshaun-watson-suspended-for-11-games-fined-5m-146517573936

As to the fake act of contrition if he maintains he never did anything wrong then what is there to be rehabilitated Jimmy? This is been some of the most ridiculous dual-sided posturing we've seen in a while.

WSS

It seems the haslams and berry sold their souls to the devil on the watson fiasco. They are "comfortable" with watson? really? If they feel that the disgust will go away in time...good luck with that. I don't see it. But they don't care. I read where the fans booed watson in the preseason game - I don't blame them one bit. Watson's attitude is right out of the hs/college no consequences "we want to win, so cover up his indiscretions etc" playbook.

I can see a boycott of the browns over this garbage they did. Of course, that is only my goofy opinion.

or....not.

Mar 28, 2022The Browns traded a package that included three first round picks to the Texans for Watson, and gave him a contract worth $230 million fully guaranteed over five years. Share this article: Facebook

Boycott the Browns. As fans of the Cleveland Browns we need to send a message to the front office that trading for serial rapist Deshaun Watson is not acceptable. We need to make it clear that as long as he is on the team we will not. Those of us who are capable should be ready to protest outside games, and possibly the Browns practice facility.

2 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I think when we talk about talent, the primary in mind are the things that make a team competitive...

- strength in the trenches

- running game 

Save for my concerns about the IDL, the Browns have a pair of the best guards in the NFL and a functional set of tackles. That's not including Conklin coming back and being healthy (dear god, please) 

We also have a great pass rush, and our running game speaks for itself. 

Jacoby hasn't been part of a team as a starter with that sort of blessing since his time in New England, and even then they have more role players than dominant individual skill players.   And yes, Miami's Oline was pretty spotty. 

Cooper, despite being traded to the cowboys and then us, is still a pretty proven vertical commodity.  DPJ is an enigma that I'm hoping catches on. And Njoku was an athlete who is finally flashing glimpses of the complete player we've been hoping he'd grow into. The last 3 years, his drop rates have all declined significantly, his blocking both inline and on the perimeter has improved as well.   I believe it's not a giant leap of faith to say he can produce more when we have an offense that is QB and volume centric.  Which we won't see probably until this time next year. 

So there is a bit of projection on the talent available here. But not such a stretch to say it isn't a reality that can be realized.  

To me, David Bell is the gear that could make this engine really go in time.  He just has that pro style look to his game where, nothing he does is flashy, but he consistently wins his routes and gives his QB a friend at almost every level of the field between his footwork, height and hands.   

Schwartz is a luxury. If he develops, that's great.  If not, I would consider him on punt returns and possibly making him a weapon for field position. But if I can't trust you to catch, then I can't trust you to field returns cleanly.  

I’m interested to see how much room we give Jacoby.  For instance, if we start 0-2 and his play just “meh”.  Do we make a move for a guy like Jimmy G. Or just start trading away guys on short term deals prior to the deadline and essentially punting this year.  Lots of parallels to the Niner offense and our offense. Maybe pressure to win now with some of the “vets” on this team 

If we can’t competently gameplan against Baker and beat Flacco and the Jets at Home it is onto 2023.  Enjoy the Buckeyes and have no expectations on Sunday.  So I’m obviously for purging short term assets.  

We have the same coaching staff now three straight years we have to and should come out swinging 

• Upvote 1

I'm expecting the Browns to play a lot better than most are. I know I'm sick and tired of Watson's baggage and the players are no different, so it should be an us vs everyone mentality.

Jacoby will manage the games just fine and surprise a lot of people. I'm expecting similar results from a healthy Baker, just with less peaks and less valleys. 

Kevin needs to call better games this season both in terms of plays and game day Head Coach decisions... time to pull up your big boy panties there Mr. Dreamy. 

I'm expecting the Browns to be in every game deep into the 4th, and that's good enough for me.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I don’t believe the decision to bring DW to Cleveland falls squarely on the shoulders of AB. I think this whole thing reeks of Jimmah sticking his nose into the football decisions once again.

5D78EB91-32F8-438A-AE82-663CA8AF66D3.jpeg

Well they didn’t care for Baker so if the Watson option was out there you think AB and Stefanski weren’t on board?  

When you get past the how someone should act off the field- Watson has an elite skill set. 

Meanwhile, we’ve learned that Wilson gave us the middle finger. 

So what is an organization to do at the most important spot when you have a window of opportunity closing? 

6 hours ago, nickers said:

Just because its settled it does not mean we have to like the sleazeball..

You're right. I guess there are things that we can't help like you being a crybaby dickwad about every little thing. I bet you will be in the crowd to boo him at Browns stadium when he comes back for his first game because we all know your shit doesn't stink. 

I just want to get back to Browns football.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m interested to see how much room we give Jacoby.  For instance, if we start 0-2 and his play just “meh”.  Do we make a move for a guy like Jimmy G. Or just start trading away guys on short term deals prior to the deadline and essentially punting this year.  Lots of parallels to the Niner offense and our offense. Maybe pressure to win now with some of the “vets” on this team 

If we can’t competently gameplan against Baker and beat Flacco and the Jets at Home it is onto 2023.  Enjoy the Buckeyes and have no expectations on Sunday.  So I’m obviously for purging short term assets.  

We have the same coaching staff now three straight years we have to and should come out swinging 

Only way this team makes a move for Jimmy G is if San Fran eats a ton of the contract along with Jacoby looking functionally retarded.   (Not PC there)  

3 weeks from the start of the season, would be smarter getting Brisset all the reps now and,  like you said, come out swinging. If this team gets a QB that throws 61-62% and minimizes turnovers, .500 ball is very do-able.

I want to see more of QB Josh Dobbs. I was impressed with the first pre-season game. Very bright guy with a degree in Aerospace Engineering from Tenn. And he can run like a deer. We got nothin' to lose by seeing what he can bring to the table.

19 hours ago, Neo said:

That's just it, they are accusations. He was never convicted of a crime. To me it looks like another classic example of a young man that has access to tons of money and fame and doesn't know what to do with it and made some stupid mistakes and people are looking to cash in. Just hope he learned his lesson.

and there's nothing more I can say to you if you think 66 massages that he actively sought out and 25 women accusing him of sexual misconduct is a 'stupid mistake'. Forgetting your lunch at home is a stupid mistake. Having one too many beers and throwing up is a stupid mistake. This is a willing and able piece of shit.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1