THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects

Dutch Oven

On 11/1/2022 at 12:52 PM, Dutch Oven said:

As of right meow, these are the draft picks the Browns hold for the 2023 NFL Draft:

(0) 1st Round
(1) 2nd Round
(1) 3rd Round
(2) 4th Round
(2) 5th Round
(1) 6th Round
(1) 7th Round 

(8) Total Picks 

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

On 11/6/2022 at 1:42 AM, mjp28 said:

Oh yes that 1-7 now 1-8 Northwestern team really put up a fight despite being totally overmatched by that loaded Ohio State football factory. 

The BUCKEYES might be the best team in the entire country......that NW team had me a bit nervous until the 4th quarter. 

Fitzgerald might be the best coach in the Big 10. He doesn't get enough credit because their record isn't always good, but they always come to play with far less talent & blue chippers.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm very curious about how he became a Corleone, because he has very little resemblance to Al Pacino, for sure.

He doesn’t look like James Caan either 

3 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I hope I'm dead wrong, but I think TTUN stretches their win streak against Ohio State to two games. 

I’m at 50/50 now.

It is the one game on the schedule this year where OSU has to win the turnover battle, not commit penalties and especially stupid penalties and tackle well. They can get away with being sloppy 90% of the time but not this game.

What I’ve seen from Michigan this year is they win first down on offense - it is usually 4-5 yards on that down and then it’s 2nd and manageable with their young QB making low risk high percentage throws.  Flat to the back and TE.  One of their TEs is out for the year.  

The lower percentage throws are play action and chuck it deep.  Can Burke hold up there?  They’ve worked for them because the running game is working and they have had superior athletes most of the time. 

Can our front seven not play hero ball and do their respective jobs (such as can the defensive ends keep their outside shoulders free and play contain?)  Zach Harrison was especially  awful last year. 

If we are to win we need to put them in 2nd and 9 plus consistently get their offense off schedule. When UM has won over the last quarter century in this series it is with their run game sparking their victories. 

On offense I hope the elements don’t come into play.  Otherwise I’m confident on the condition that Ryan Day sticks with our identity airing the ball out and not running stretch run plays AND we have an enough opportunities we can’t have UM limit possessions by running 10-15 play drives. 

More possessions better for OSU. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I’m at 50/50 now.

It is the one game on the schedule this year where OSU has to win the turnover battle, not commit penalties and especially stupid penalties and tackle well. They can get away with being sloppy 90% of the time but not this game.

What I’ve seen from Michigan this year is they win first down on offense - it is usually 4-5 yards on that down and then it’s 2nd and manageable with their young QB making low risk high percentage throws.  Flat to the back and TE.  One of their TEs is out for the year.  

The lower percentage throws are play action and chuck it deep.  Can Burke hold up there?  They’ve worked for them because the running game is working and they have had superior athletes most of the time. 

Can our front seven not play hero ball and do their respective jobs (such as can the defensive ends keep their outside shoulders free and play contain?)  Zach Harrison was especially  awful last year. 

If we are to win we need to put them in 2nd and 9 plus consistently get their offense off schedule. When UM has won over the last quarter century in this series it is with their run game sparking their victories. 

On offense I hope the elements don’t come into play.  Otherwise I’m confident on the condition that Ryan Day sticks with our identity airing the ball out and not running stretch run plays AND we have an enough opportunities we can’t have UM limit possessions by running 10-15 play drives. 

More possessions better for OSU. 

Correct.

I'd also add that it was glad to see Day call a few RPOs with Stroud vs Northwestern. Here I thoght he was a scardy cat and wouldn't run. Weird to see a Buckeye QB without mobility.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bob806 said:

Correct.

I'd also add that it was glad to see Day call a few RPOs with Stroud vs Northwestern. Here I thoght he was a scardy cat and wouldn't run. Weird to see a Buckeye QB without mobility.

Yes!!! This too.

Great point I’ve yelled this out a handful of times this season 

• Upvote 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:52 PM, SdBacker80 said:

Yes!!! This too.

Great point I’ve yelled this out a handful of times this season 

Yes,   it's that...that   "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" .......  you know  Thanksgiving,  Christmas  and unfortunately now the NFL Draft Days.

I still sometimes can't believe how our wonderful team ownership managed to mortgage the farm and then some to get a starting quarterback. 

Geeezzzus H Christmas  🎄.

13 hours ago, Orion said:

It's looking like Houston is going to have two, quite high, first round draft picks.  And we're vying for the 35th pick.   

Yes, and off-topic, why this Texans team allowed to have these picks when they played a large part into #4's dealings? 

On topic, get us a speedy, mean ass LB or 2 in the draft. If we're shopping at Walmart for interior D linemen every season, at least get guys who can tackle besides our secondary.

We haven't had even a "B minus" grade at the LB crew since BB was here. It's a position of NEED & VALUE you stupid analytic idiot FO.

We are one of 8 teams with 3 wins.  And there's only one team with less than 3 wins.  We are incredibly close to having the #2 pick in the draft.  (if we had a 1st rounder)  But with just one more win we could jump to the 14th pick (if we had a 1st rounder).  But even though we don't have a 1st round pick...having that 34th overall pick in the draft is ALMOST like having a 1st round pick.   Whereas one more win and we fall to the middle of round 2.  

Just sayin'.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Orion said:

We are one of 8 teams with 3 wins.  And there's only one team with less than 3 wins.  We are incredibly close to having the #2 pick in the draft.  (if we had a 1st rounder)  But with just one more win we could jump to the 14th pick (if we had a 1st rounder).  But even though we don't have a 1st round pick...having that 34th overall pick in the draft is ALMOST like having a 1st round pick.   Whereas one more win and we fall to the middle of round 2.  

Just sayin'.  

The good news is - we might not  need to draft another kicker if our STs Coordinator ever figures we don't need to continue putting the holder closer to the line of scrimmage than most other teams.  There's a trend unfolding that we can only hope gets noticed quicker than the 12 men on the field trend.  Even back breaking penalty flags couldn't stop that trend so let's see if we can't have better luck with this one.

52 minutes ago, Flugel said:

The good news is - we might not  need to draft another kicker if our STs Coordinator ever figures we don't need to continue putting the holder closer to the line of scrimmage than most other teams.  There's a trend unfolding that we can only hope gets noticed quicker than the 12 men on the field trend.  Even back breaking penalty flags couldn't stop that trend so let's see if we can't have better luck with this one.

Not ready to give up on York quite yet... Too much potential still..

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

we might not  need to draft another kicker if our STs Coordinator ever figures we don't need to continue putting the holder closer to the line of scrimmage than most other teams.

Yeah, we're getting kicks blocked at the LOS.  Put him 7 yards back again and see if he gets kicks blocked.

After a one game respite, the Panthers have benched Baker Mayfield for Sam Darnold.

This almost guarantees the Browns will not get a 4th round pick for Mayfield, which was conditional on him starting the majority of snaps at QB for the Panthers this year. 

On 11/24/2022 at 8:45 AM, Dutch Oven said:

After a one game respite, the Panthers have benched Baker Mayfield for Sam Darnold.

This almost guarantees the Browns will not get a 4th round pick for Mayfield, which was conditional on him starting the majority of snaps at QB for the Panthers this year. 

I can't say with 100% confidence but when Baker Regan Mayfield left the Cleveland BROWNS  I really felt that this might be his way of slipping out of the starting quarterback job to maybe a clipboard holding QB for a good team that had a good #1 QB in place.  

I don't think that he wants to go through the rigors of the NFL grind year after year.   He pretty much has his generous NFL pension locked up and he's still a well off young man.

Let's see what happens next,  then I just might be 100% sure about this.  

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I can't say with 100% confidence but when Baker Regan Mayfield left the Cleveland BROWNS  I really felt that this might be his way of slipping out of the starting quarterback job to maybe a clipboard holding QB for a good team that had a good #1 QB in place.  

I don't think that he wants to go through the rigors of the NFL grind year after year.   He pretty much has his generous NFL pension locked up and he's still a well off young man.

Let's see what happens next,  then I just might be 100% sure about this.  

I don’t know the head butting look at me thing he did during the postgame buffet line on a nationally televised game screams of wanting the spotlight back.  You can’t have a spotlight or endorsements being the next Chase Daniel and he certainly doesn’t want to be popular (or at least I don’t think so) for making money doing nothing that’s actually relevant. 

We don’t beat the Bucs yesterday with Baker at QB.  We know that but unfortunately he doesn’t know that and I imagine he will try to continue to  prove that he is a top half starting QB in this league. 

2 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

I don’t know the head butting look at me thing he did during the postgame buffet line on a nationally televised game screams of wanting the spotlight back

Agreed.  Mayfield is all ego.  He doesn't want to take a backseat to anyone.  He's Mr. Chip On His Shoulder.   And it's his biggest problem (aside from height).  He doesn't want to share the spotlight.  Last year when he had Felton Wide Open, a yard beyond the sticks on the sideline, just 6 or 7 yards in front of him with nobody near him, he looked right at him,  but decided to run it himself and didn't make it, forcing us to punt at a crucial part of the game....I lost faith in him.   It's all about him.

• 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year ! 🥳  everyone 

With the College Bowl season about to wrap up 🏈

some may find this college player link as useful

commit updates/ position school metrics/ conference

https://www.risendraft.com/draft-database

13 minutes ago, SdBacker80 said:

Day 3 guy worth a look.  Tyler Davis DT Clemson.  Highly recruited out of HS.  Big Freshman year and then had injuries.  

Jerzhan Newton DT Illinois another Day 3.  If we are looking for run stuffers. 

I'd love for the Browns to really focus on getting stronger up the middle, DTackles, a physical LB and a safety to replace Johnson. 

The Big Ten has some decent Day 2 and 3 DTackles. 

• Thanks 2

Jack Coletto 6.3 240 pounds L.B 

2022 (REDSHIRT SENIOR)
• Hornung Award Winner
• Phil Steele All-America First Team (all purpose)
• All-Pac-12 First Team (all-purpose)
• Associated Press All-Pac-12 Second Team (all purpose)
• Academic All-District
• Campbell Trophy Nominee (Academic Heisman)
• Hornung Award Weekly Honor Roll (Sept. 5)
• Hornung Award Weekly Honor Roll (Sept. 12)
• Campbell Trophy Semifinalist
• Played in 12 games, making three starts
• Rushed for 41 yards and a touchdown and made three tackles with a fumble recovery in the opener against Boise State
• Ran for two scores, including the game-winner, at Fresno State. Also made three tackles
• Caught a 30-yard pass and made five tackles against USC
• Completed one pass in one attempt, for 16 yards, and totaled three tackles at Utah
• Ran for 14 yards and two touchdowns on six carries against Washington State. Also caught a 10-yard pass
• Made five tackles against Colorado, and forced a fumble recovered by OSU
• Completed a 37-yard pass against California
• Made four tackles versus Oregon
• Ran 11 yards on a fake punt and blocked a punt versus Florida in the SRS Distribution Las Vegas Bowl. Added four tackles in the win