Pick #141 - From Los Angeles Rams

Pick #143

Sixth Round

Pick #189

Seventh Round

Pick #231

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Siaki and Mazi are at the top of my (current) value list and film queue. 

Unless something drastic changed over the 2nd half of the season, Roy was scratched off my list as quickly as he was added.  Which was a shame, because he flashed serious promise last season.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Siaki and Mazi are at the top of my (current) value list and film queue. 

Unless something drastic changed over the 2nd half of the season, Roy was scratched off my list as quickly as he was added.  Which was a shame, because he flashed serious promise last season.

I really like the Big Ten boys of Mazi Smith and Benton. I'm starting to wonder if Smith won't be around by the time the Browns pick in the 2nd.

Have you watched any Benton film? (Or are you?)

On 1/11/2023 at 5:07 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I really like the Big Ten boys of Mazi Smith and Benton. I'm starting to wonder if Smith won't be around by the time the Browns pick in the 2nd.

Have you watched any Benton film? (Or are you?)

Wrapping up some early viewings on Ika from Baylor.    Going to be real hard for Benton or Mazi to top what I just saw in terms of what I want, what I'll be getting, and the price likely to be paid.    Position runs tend to move things quite a bit, but this kid (so far) looks like that late(r) round 2 early type round 3 IDL.    Just in my wheel house.    

• Like 1

Hope we focus on value this off-season, like the IDL guys@tiamat63 is looking at. Seeing some suggestions in the media we trade for D-hop, which is just about the opposite of that. 

I like our receiver room to begin with. Cooper was an absolute steal of a trade, and nearly improved his personal best season yardage. DPJ is good value for at least one more season on his rookie contract (probably not to re-sign him). Bell has showed promise to develop into our next 'Juice' as he got targeted more during the season. And we have two TE's to throw to.

Maybe we could spend a mid to late round pick on a WR. Either a speedy deep threat, or a potential replacement for DPJ that can season his first year. 

• Thanks 1

I'm off the tail end of a nasty bout with the flu, so I'm parked in and watching film tonight starting in 5.   Haven't quite finished up with my run at Siaki Ika, IDL - Baylor.   Found the all-22 of their performance in the sugar bowl from the 2021 and going to chart a bit early.  

Board has a decent amount of activity lately, people who want to toss in their 2 cents.    What better way than to do it live?  

TBB discord https://discord.gg/DbVnNMKq   Come on in, let's talk football.  

13 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Maybe we could spend a mid to late round pick on a WR. Either a speedy deep threat, or a potential replacement for DPJ that can season his first year.

I've grown to like DPJ.  His knock in college was his drops...but he's done a darned good job of making very contested catches for us.  (I guess we've gotta throw out the TD that went right through his frozen hands in the end zone against the Saints in the frozen game)  He usually doesn't put up big numbers, but for a 6th round pick with the dropsies...he's done a good job.  And how much $$ could he demand in a second contract, as a 6th round pick who hasn't made the pro bowl?

10 hours ago, Orion said:

As @tiamat63 pointed out, they're probably looking at Alex Wright as Myles' help.  They drafted him last April and kept Clowney on board so Wright wasn't just thrown to the wolves.  And they also drafted Isaiah Thomas.  And as we've seen, they like to give their draft picks quite a long leash to 'turn the corner'.  

The cost of a FA... Edge vs DT?... If were lucky... Hope Berry chooses a DT.. Thomas & Wright should get reps from Clowney's vacant edge..

10 hours ago, Orion said:

I've grown to like DPJ.  

Jones has shown nice progress.. I just hope he takes this off season, to work with someone that can take his great combine jump numbers & show him how to turn his hands to truly time/ high point a football .. Peeps does really well blocking out defenders from ball/catch..

I'm just not sold on WR David Bell yet.. Stef seems to be.. to early to tell.. speed burst to get open is my bother.. He's not Juice Landry at blocking either.. Bell's got off season work to do as well

On 1/13/2023 at 9:40 PM, Orion said:

I've grown to like DPJ.  His knock in college was his drops...but he's done a darned good job of making very contested catches for us.  (I guess we've gotta throw out the TD that went right through his frozen hands in the end zone against the Saints in the frozen game)  He usually doesn't put up big numbers, but for a 6th round pick with the dropsies...he's done a good job.  And how much $$ could he demand in a second contract, as a 6th round pick who hasn't made the pro bowl?

I do like him, but I would only be willing to sign him on a very favorable contract, and there are always other teams willing to pay WRs too. We have bigger fish to fry than that position group.

IDL need is beating a dead horse at this stage. Our O-line was still considered one of the best going into the season, but fell off a cliff as we progressed (is it time to call Wills Jr a bust yet?). Both lines need more quality and depth, and we have little room to play with, even with cap trickery. 

My point about value is two fold I suppose. Firstly, not too over-spend on a position group (e.g. our running back room the past season), and not to over-pay a role-player just to retain him. Milking your rookie contracts to the bone, gives you the ability to pay your very best guys what's needed to retain them. Hope we do exactly that with Chubb.

When do underclassmen have to declare by?

Underclassmen have until Jan. 16 (Monday) to renounce their college football eligibility by submitting written notification to the league office..

NFL Draft is in KC April 27th thru April 29th.. Browns may get on the clock on my Birthday 🎂. makes it fun..

No perfect Draft Science here guys (insert tin foil hat)

But one draft tool is when Jack Duffy tries to use AB's draft history..guardrails

How Jack get's here? breaks down 10 position groups/ minus QB's 

View the previous positional draft boards in the series: (click to view)
Running Backs
Wide Receivers
Tight Ends
Tackles
Guards
Centers
Edge Defenders
Defensive Tackles
Linebackers
Cornerbacks

the key to what each player's data shows:

Green - Ideal Fit

Yellow - Okay Fit

Red - Unlikely Fit

Grey - No Age Data Available

Here's a view from Duffy's link using PFF's Draft Board..

11550421.thumb.png.8fa74a5ce023ab375a1523c468b4fcdc.png

And Here's the link list of Duffy's compared to The Draft Network...

11571368.thumb.png.ed1460ac7f53195987029ebc6a4cc294.png

One more to come from ProFootballtalk board... will try to insert (here) when it comes out...

EDIT-- 1-16-23

11573222.thumb.png.3e9ab90610d57327b96283a3500da315.png

This ends my series of big boards until we finish the draft combine, there is PFF's as of the 3rd Jan here, the Draft Network's board here, and Pro Football Networks.

Thanks to Jack Duffy at 247.sports...

Can ya image the time spent here ?  Bravo, Sir Duff 👏

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

When do underclassmen have to declare by?

Underclassmen have until Jan. 16 (Monday) to renounce their college football eligibility by submitting written notification to the league office..

NFL Draft is in KC April 27th thru April 29th.. Browns may get on the clock on my Birthday 🎂. makes it fun..

No perfect Draft Science here guys (insert tin foil hat)

But one draft tool is when Jack Duffy tries to use AB's draft history..guardrails

How Jack get's here? breaks down 10 position groups/ minus QB's 

View the previous positional draft boards in the series: (click to view)
Running Backs
Wide Receivers
Tight Ends
Tackles
Guards
Centers
Edge Defenders
Defensive Tackles
Linebackers
Cornerbacks

the key to what each player's data shows:

Green - Ideal Fit

Yellow - Okay Fit

Red - Unlikely Fit

Grey - No Age Data Available

Here's a view from Duffy's link using PFF's Draft Board..

11550421.thumb.png.8fa74a5ce023ab375a1523c468b4fcdc.png

And Here's the link list of Duffy's compared to The Draft Network...

11571368.thumb.png.ed1460ac7f53195987029ebc6a4cc294.png

One more to come from ProFootballtalk board... will try to insert (here) when it comes out...

Thanks to Jack Duffy at 247.sports...

Can ya image the time spent here ?  Bravo, Sir Duff 👏

I think the issue I have with this chart, speaking specifically to the DT's, is that it goes by the old (outdated) way of thinking.   Players like Ika and Mazi are going to be thought of as little more than the "2 gap nose in a 3-4" cliche'.   Hence why they are yellow as a position fit.

I said as much when Alim McNeil was my gem of choice.  And now he primarily plays in a 1 gap role anywhere from the 0 to the 4 in Detroit, and doing it quite well.    Evaluators need to understand the fluidity and flexibility of the modern defensive front.  Especially when the league is transitioning back to more 2 high shells and placing greater emphasis on Dline as a whole.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I said as much when Alim McNeil was my gem of choice.  And now he primarily plays in a 1 gap role anywhere from the 0 to the 4 in Detroit, and doing it quite well.    Evaluators need to understand the fluidity and flexibility of the modern defensive front.  Especially when the league is transitioning back to more 2 high shells and placing greater emphasis on Dline as a whole.  

Totally Agree above Tia.. as your said example..

I don't see Benton nor Bama's Byron Young going in that late of projected round..

Living in NC.. No GM saw what Alim McNeil was bringing.. Good Call sir 

12 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Totally Agree above Tia.. as your said example..

I don't see Benton nor Bama's Byron Young going in that late of projected round..

Living in NC.. No GM saw what Alim McNeil was bringing.. Good Call sir 

I wouldn't go that far, sir.   The Lions front office saw what I did and got him at a great value.    But it's that line of evaluation and projection, which goes beyond the normal pigeon-holing, that I try to strive for.

As for Benton... I'm on the fence.  I could see him dropping that far from my early viewings.   Not that I need the affirmation, but that above chart has done two things for my grading confidence.

- Affirms where I value Ika at (2nd, or possibly VERY early 3rd)

- Juqeulin Roy as a day 3 pick.

For the most part..

Game-Tape seldom lies... but, it's the scheme fit that some GM's try to pigeon-hole young players into.. 

I really enjoy the quite pre-draft noise.. before the media starts blowing guys up & down to who they are not.. 

It's somewhat early with a long process to go...but 

I do like that most of our positional needs could be had.. but, I'm a long way from 3 names of whom? 🤓 

WOOF ! we need a 4 year Dawg!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, gumby73 said:

For the most part..

Game-Tape seldom lies... but, it's the scheme fit that some GM's try to pigeon-hole young players into.. 

I really enjoy the quite pre-draft noise.. before the media starts blowing guys up & down to who they are not.. 

It's somewhat early with a long process to go...but 

I do like that most of our positional needs could be had.. but, I'm a long way from 3 names of whom? 🤓 

WOOF ! we need a 4 year Dawg!

Good stuff from you and Tiamat63.

It'll be interesting to see who the DC is so we can get a better idea of the scheme he will bring.

I like who we've interviewed so far.  I always want us to interview Schwartz; so I'm glad we finally did so.  He got his coaching start here back in the early 90s.  Believe it or not, I like Brian Flores just as much.  These are 2 ideal candidates on our door step.  What could go wrong???😉  

Edited by Flugel
typo
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

CJ Stroud taking his sweet time declaring for the Draft.... hmmm.

A stud WR named Marvin Harrison jr too.. Here's the most reliable updated I can see.. Might we see a late rush?

https://247sports.com/Article/2023-NFL-Draft-underclassmen-tracker-List-of-college-players-declaring-early-199180440/

edit a few still pending https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/nfl-draft-2023-should-these-top-undecided-underclassmen-go-pro

4 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

@tiamat63 -- is Calijah Kancey on your list? OBR proposed him.  

Undersized, but fireplug body shape wins with leverage. Comparisons to Sheldon Rankins make me curious.

His named was tossed at me a few weeks ago.  Naturally, because he plays for Pitt, I heard the "aArOn DoNaLd" in that conversation.  Watched a couple games of his - vs WVU and Syracuse.   Came away being a bit on the fence. 

Like I said, because of his size and the university, there's going to be the "next AD" talk all damn day.  To the point you're going to get sick of it, if you aren't already.  There were a couple times I saw some good technique, but I came away asking if his pad level is also just a result of his height?  Being around that 6'0 ft mark.  His play strength is hit or miss as well.

Then there were other times where he reminded me of Xavier Cooper - fantastic first step burst, but would launch his body into a gap, cause a minor disruption on initial contact then lose gap integrity as the play developed.  

The only reason Donald came into the league and found success wasn't that he had JUST elite burst, but almost unmatched technique for a 3 tech, let alone any rookie.    He also just kept getting stronger his first couple years in the league.  

I'm going to have to watch more to give you some final thoughts.  But I do remember seeing Aaron as a senior play against Florida State in 2013 and single handedly wrecking most of their offensive designs.   Both his natural ability and development as a player were obvious from the first snap.      I didn't see that immediate "whoa" with Kancey.   I'll dig deeper at some point and come back around to this.   But it looks more of a - 'where should he be accurately valued?'  since I believe his hype won't quite match his ability.  

I'm several quite/no hype individual game films into some prospects👀

At pick #42..

imho..There might be only a few I'd consider a slight move up if there ?

DE-- ND Isaiah Foskey.. as low as pick #28

WR--USC Jordan Addison.. as low as pick #22

My highest rated IDL, is a mixed bag of what schemes prefer between

Baylor Siaki Ika & Michigan Mazi Smith.. both tip scales over 335 lbs. w/Schwartz big man inside speed

But, I've seen nothing that says pull the trigger on either before pick #42.. 

I'd prefer the future body frame & hand usage of edge Will McDonald or DT Byron Young over Cal Kansey/ say 3rd round.. but it's close.. I've seen ACC games/with C. Kancey metrics of 6' 280 lbs.. at NFL DT ? His combine metrics should clean some of this up..

Starting my last two days away from work viewing some LB vs Safety class.. but not before Lunch time !

16 days & 2 hours before Senior Bowl... I'm thinking of making my 1st bucket-list trip 🤔

3 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Stetson Bennett with a day 3 pick? 

Um, no.

We just got rid of an undersized cocky walk-on QB with "moxie". 

😁

Plus, there would be the inevitable WSS crush on a Browns QB, because he kind of is his type. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/10/2023 at 7:23 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Here's how the Browns picks sit now with the regular season over:

Second Round

Pick #43

Third Round

Compensatory pick not yet assigned between picks 97 and 102

Fourth Round

Pick #111

Pick #131 - From Minnesota

Fifth Round

Pick #141 - From Los Angeles Rams

Pick #143

Why yes 🤓 I have started my nerdy/geek out Draft Pick sims games...

That pick #97.. is like waiting forever from pick #42.. with good needs/names coming off the fake board..

I already like the names I'm grabbing.. Moving up to pick 70'ish.. giving up one 4th & one 5th.. that are almost together..

We don't have a 4th in 2024.. but, Berry might find one.. This draft is also loaded with some good CB's.. We may find a Slot Corner not named Newsome/Greedy?  

edit-- all these silly mocks I see.. and nobody thinks we need a TE2/3?

4 hours ago, gumby73 said:

edit-- all these silly mocks I see.. and nobody thinks we need a TE2/3?

Someone should, there's a reason I posted the top TEs early on in this thread.

Position is pretty thin, and I don't see the Browns going balls out to re-sign Harrison Bryant 

9 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Someone should, there's a reason I posted the top TEs early on in this thread.

Position is pretty thin, and I don't see the Browns going balls out to re-sign Harrison Bryant 

Possibly so, but TE might be last on the list of needs.  If we had the guns, I could see us not playing with a TE for a good portion of plays.