THE BROWNS BOARD

2023 Browns NFL Draft Prospects

Dutch Oven

48 minutes ago, Orion said:

I wish we'd have gotten to see that Isaiah Weston kid this year.  6'4.  But since we didn't, we've got to proceed like we need a big WR.  But of course, we need a FAST receiver because our group was ranked near the bottom of the league in speed.  So, we need a big, strong, fast, surehanded wr....among our mid to late round picks that we have available.

If I can, I like to watch the WR's run the gauntlet.  (3/4/23  1:00pm)

Who doesn't need fast, big, and surehanded?

My guess is we will be better off looking for that quick, surehanded receiver in those rounds.

Heck man, at this point it is hard to say.  My guess is we do our best in free agency to fill a few holes as best we can, and in the draft we go for the best player on the board, no matter the position with a few exceptions.

With no 1st rounder this year and next, it is going to be pretty important to draft the best players we can and hope 3-4 of them become solid players or we are going to find ourselves in a talent void in a few years.

We may not need the player this year and it becomes a head scratcher, but we may need them in 2-3-4 years.

What we need to hope for is a player like Woods or Bell find their groove and start to shine this year.

1 hour ago, ballpeen said:

Who doesn't need fast, big, and surehanded?

Right? :)   Shouldn't be hard to find in the mid to late rounds  :)  

I mean, we pick 43rd.  And we have defensive needs.  What round will we have the luxury of picking a WR in?  We've gotta get some stuff done in FA.

Jonathan Mingo

6013 226 10 1/4 32

76 1/4  Official Senior Bowl

Here's my sleeper, I want to see run & do some quickness drills at the combine

Ran a pro style offense at Old Miss with Lane Kiffin.. Follows DK Metcalf than AJ Brown at Miss with similar body metrics...

mid round grade

7 hours ago, Orion said:

I mean, we pick 43rd.  And we have defensive needs.  What round will we have the luxury of picking a WR in?  We've gotta get some stuff done in FA.

I agree about free agency.  Let's face it, FA is all about filling needs.   Minus the 1st rounder makes it all the more important we don't try to pin needs to various rounds in the draft. I think we need to draft the best players available and not use needs as the determining factor.

No doubt you might not draft a QB high, you can eliminate some positions, and in any draft slot you usually have several players that might be graded out the same, or close enough, that you can look at your needs as a determining factor.  

I view drafts as the pipeline for future talent more than immediate talent. Who knows what you might need 3 years from now?  Like I said, in any draft slot you are probably going to have several guys with similar draft grades. That probably becomes more the case the further in to the draft a team goes, so even at 43 we are probably going to have 3-4 guys graded out nearly the same giving us the ability to take the guy who best fits immediate need.  But....maybe not..and if not we should just take the best players.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, gumby73 said:

Jonathan Mingo

6013 226 10 1/4 32

76 1/4  Official Senior Bowl

Here's my sleeper, I want to see run & do some quickness drills at the combine

Ran a pro style offense at Old Miss with Lane Kiffin.. Follows DK Metcalf than AJ Brown at Miss with similar body metrics...

mid round grade

I like Mingo as well.  I could see him as a 3rd-4th round guy who pans out.  I also like Tyler Scott out of Cincy.  He is a smaller type guy, but one who gets open and catches the ball.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 11:37 AM, Unsympathetic said:

Walter has Browns taking Lukas Van Ness with our all-important second round pick.

Not sure what to think.. unless we can conduct remedial NFL summer school for him and Alex Wright - and might as well add Winfrey.

drafttek also has us taking Van Ness as our first pick.

Yep, came back to discuss draft only for a while. Been a nice relief to just ghost from time to time on the football board even though the season for the Browns and the Aggies was miserable in 2023. Will be better for both in 2023.

PS-And can we finally get "Hands of Stone" Schwartz off the roster? Total disaster pick.

22 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I like Mingo as well.  I could see him as a 3rd-4th round guy who pans out.  I also like Tyler Scott out of Cincy.  He is a smaller type guy, but one who gets open and catches the ball.

Seems like a better class of under 6 ft WR's// than over... that will get out of R1.. The CB's overall speed, should out class this WR group overall..

Saw 2 Tyler Scott games.. If Berry's looking to replace straight-line Schwartz? Tyler Scott looks to find open green grass.. Scott should run well too.. 

5 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Yep, came back to discuss draft only for a while. Been a nice relief to just ghost from time to time on the football board even though the season for the Browns and the Aggies was miserable in 2023. Will be better for both in 2023.

Good to see ya back AG.. 

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Seems like a better class of under 6 ft WR's// than over... that will get out of R1.. The CB's overall speed, should out class this WR group overall..

Saw 2 Tyler Scott games.. If Berry's looking to replace straight-line Schwartz? Tyler Scott looks to find open green grass.. Scott should run well too.. 

Good to see ya back AG.. 

Thanks-and agree on Schwartz. We can't afford a WR with speed that can't run routes or catch a cold. And please no Boutte WR from LSU. He's a carbon copy of Schwartz.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Orion said:

All true. That said, this FO has to start drafting better because the ONLY starter they drafted on the OL is Wills.  All these starters the Browns drafted were before this FO: Myles Garrett, Joel Bitonio, Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward, David Njoku. Those are pretty much the best players on this team.  A Pro Bowl Guard like Wyatt Teller was brought here by the previous FO.  

The problem with leaning so heavily on free agency or trading for veterans is cap health.  Because Cleveland has been so piss poor at DRAFTING QBs look at how many 1st round picks and the 230 million $ worth of cap forfeited on a QB that was not only suspended this year; but the Browns could have drafted him or Mahomes for much less money in 2017.  Then they wouldn't have had to draft Baker 1st overall the next year, who is currently looking for his 4th NFL franchise if the Rams don't keep him.

So where are we at?  7-10 football with the FO glad we can't judge their next draft until 3 years from now.  As for the WR, I've always like the big 6'4" types that can run.  That said, I wouldn't mind a 6'0" or so change of direction guy that can give us what we lack in the passing game.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ballpeen said:

I think Watson would welcome his "Wes Welker" on the team.

I never understood why we didn't use Landry in that roll.  And for now I'd like to see them try Bell at it.  You need a certain spunk in that position.....but I'm not sure that Bell has it.

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

That said, this FO has to start drafting better because the ONLY starter they drafted on the OL is Wills.  All these starters the Browns drafted were before this FO: Myles Garrett, Joel Bitonio, Nick Chubb, Denzel Ward, David Njoku.

Yup.   And previous FO's were part of the 1-31 stretch.  It seems though that every year after the draft Berry gets high marks from the draft experts.  But I certainly agree that we can come up with a list of guys that were drafted that haven't really helped us much, like Schwartz, Elliot, Togiai, Fields, Phillips, Harris, Felton....   I just don't know how typical that is league-wide for the crap-shoot that the draft is.  I'm sure Berry knows that he's got his work cut out for him again this year...and that it's an important year for his FO and coaching staff.  Haslem's trigger finger has been twitching I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Yup.   And previous FO's were part of the 1-31 stretch.  It seems though that every year after the draft Berry gets high marks from the draft experts.  But I certainly agree that we can come up with a list of guys that were drafted that haven't really helped us much, like Schwartz, Elliot, Togiai, Fields, Phillips, Harris, Felton....   I just don't know how typical that is league-wide for the crap-shoot that the draft is.  I'm sure Berry knows that he's got his work cut out for him again this year...and that it's an important year for his FO and coaching staff.  Haslem's trigger finger has been twitching I'm sure.

🤣 I walked right into that one.  Good points.  I just think it's time they make some progress with the draft.  We need more keepers than stinkers from the draft if we ever want to frequent playoffs again and maintain a healthy cap.   The 80s were a long time ago.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I never understood why we didn't use Landry in that roll.  And for now I'd like to see them try Bell at it.  You need a certain spunk in that position.....but I'm not sure that Bell has it.

Bell can catch.  I am just not sure he can get open.  Either he is too slow, or doesn't have the quicks in his breaks to create seperation....maybe a little of both?

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, ballpeen said:

Just like the undrafted Wes Welker you mentioned above here's some other huge bargains that rewarded teams in the past: Wayne Chrebet (Undrafted, Hofstra University), Marques Colston (7th round, Hofstra University) - that college on Long Island no longer has a football program.  That said, the Jets and the Saints got themselves some absolute gems that didn't cost very much at all. Victor Cruz (Undrafted, UMass). Tyreek Hill (5th round, Oklahoma State & West Alabama), TJ Houshmandzadeh (7th round, Oregon State), Stefon Diggs (5th round, Maryland).

There's going to be late round guys at the WR position that can help us.  The question is - will they be drafted/signed as undrafted FAs by our FO or somebody else?  This is a HUGE draft for this FO.  Last year at this time, many fans including me thought Seattle would be playing for the 1st overall pick.  And we wuz WRONG!  That FO nailed that draft as did the KC Chiefs.  Time for Cleveland to step it up THIS year!   

22 hours ago, Flugel said:

Just like the undrafted Wes Welker you mentioned above here's some other huge bargains that rewarded teams in the past: Wayne Chrebet (Undrafted, Hofstra University), Marques Colston (7th round, Hofstra University) - that college on Long Island no longer has a football program.  That said, the Jets and the Saints got themselves some absolute gems that didn't cost very much at all. Victor Cruz (Undrafted, UMass). Tyreek Hill (5th round, Oklahoma State & West Alabama), TJ Houshmandzadeh (7th round, Oregon State), Stefon Diggs (5th round, Maryland).

There's going to be late round guys at the WR position that can help us.  The question is - will they be drafted/signed as undrafted FAs by our FO or somebody else?  This is a HUGE draft for this FO.  Last year at this time, many fans including me thought Seattle would be playing for the 1st overall pick.  And we wuz WRONG!  That FO nailed that draft as did the KC Chiefs.  Time for Cleveland to step it up THIS year!   

A&M's Ainias Smith fits that description to a T, but he was injured out for the season during the 4th game. He chose to come back for another year rather than go early as he had originally planned. His loss as the all around do it all slot/ wideout/RB/return man on punts and KOs was a major part of so many of their losses this past season. He will be a later round pick in 2024 if he stays healthy through this season. If you can get an A&M game up there during the season, take a peak at how they use him in OC Patrino's new offense.

On 2/15/2023 at 5:19 PM, ballpeen said:

I remember trying to college scout Wes Welker & Julian Edelman both when coming out of college...

The only thing on their game-film that showed... was a knack for getting open..

Brady placed some nice positioned balls, but was not always perfect.. Continuity/trust was built.. We can see this growing with Coop & Watson..

Your Right ! We need a sure handed Welker/Edelman possession type of WR..  

45 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

I remember trying to college scout Wes Welker & Julian Edelman both when coming out of college...

The only thing on their game-film that showed... was a knack for getting open.

I'd hope Edds was a bit more open in his running lanes than Wes was as a receiver. Because Julian played QB all 3 years at KSU.

19 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

A&M's Ainias Smith fits that description to a T, but he was injured out for the season during the 4th game. He chose to come back for another year rather than go early as he had originally planned. His loss as the all around do it all slot/ wideout/RB/return man on punts and KOs was a major part of so many of their losses this past season. He will be a later round pick in 2024 if he stays healthy through this season. If you can get an A&M game up there during the season, take a peak at how they use him in OC Patrino's new offense.

Interesting Mr. MeAggies!  I could look it up but what's the approximate height and weight Ainias?  He's so fast his parents didn't even have the time to spell his 1st name right.  I can help. It's Aquinas - and that's a very good football name. 

I'm somewhat of a slot snob in the sense guys like Ice Cube McNeil and Glyn Milburn were too small to be ideal targets despite their dangerous speed.   They were very good for the return game though; but we need a serious contribution to the passing game.  If Aquinas is similar to Tyreek Hill, Mark Clayton or Mark Duper Size at 5'10" 185 lbs - we've seen that can work.  All that said, if he's Randy Moss size (who was Rookie of the Year back when they had Cris Carter and Jake Reed on the outside) - that could work.  When Joe Jurevicius was here, we put that 6'5" frame in the slot a lot on 3rd downs.  Of course, it took Tia to remind me last week that he played here the year the Browns won 10 games. 

To be honest, I don't want a slot receiver as much as I want a change of direction guy we can line up outside or inside on or off the line of scrimmage.  Vertical is fine but we also need to stretch the field horizontally like we started to when Lindy Infante arrived here back in 1986.  That sets up easier vertical stuff.  One of my favorite blue collar WRs that played almost exclusively on 3rd downs (but still led us in receptions with 55 for 838 yds 6 TDs and 47 1st downs) in 86 was #86 Brian Brennan at 5"10" 178 lbs. I'll gladly accept another version of that in the 4th round again.  He wasn't a track star - he just had agility to get open and catch the ball when it came to him.  My hope is David Bell can be this kind of player for us as he gets more experience. If the design of this passing game and offensive coaching staff is capable of tapping his skillset. If not, history shows us there's been a lot of productive WRs drafted from rounds 4-7 or signed as undrafted FAs. (ie; we added DPJ in round 6 in 2020).

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

Interesting Mr. MeAggies!  I could look it up but what's the approximate height and weight Ainias?  He's so fast his parents didn't even have the time to spell his 1st name right.  I can help. It's Aquinas - and that's a very good football name. 

I'm somewhat of a slot snob in the sense guys like Ice Cube McNeil and Glyn Milburn were too small to be ideal targets despite their dangerous speed.   They were very good for the return game though; but we need a serious contribution to the passing game.  If Aquinas is similar to Tyreek Hill, Mark Clayton or Mark Duper Size at 5'10" 185 lbs - we've seen that can work.  All that said, if he's Randy Moss size (who was Rookie of the Year back when they had Cris Carter and Jake Reed on the outside) - that could work.  When Joe Jurevicius was here, we put that 6'5" frame in the slot a lot on 3rd downs.  Of course, it took Tia to remind me last week that he played here the year the Browns won 10 games. 

To be honest, I don't want a slot receiver as much as I want a change of direction guy we can line up outside or inside on or off the line of scrimmage.  Vertical is fine but we also need to stretch the field horizontally like we started to when Lindy Infante arrived here back in 1986.  That sets up easier vertical stuff.  One of my favorite blue collar WRs that played almost exclusively on 3rd downs (but still led us in receptions with 55 for 838 yds 6 TDs and 47 1st downs) in 86 was #86 Brian Brennan at 5"10" 178 lbs. I'll gladly accept another version of that in the 4th round again.  He wasn't a track star - he just had agility to get open and catch the ball when it came to him.  My hope is David Bell can be this kind of player for us as he gets more experience. If the design of this passing game and offensive coaching staff is capable of tapping his skillset. If not, history shows us there's been a lot of productive WRs drafted from rounds 4-7 or signed as undrafted FAs. (ie; we added DPJ in round 6 in 2020).

5'10" 190lbs with the quicks and hands to get open anywhere, especially on 3rd & long. We missed him more than any other player in 2022. More importantly he is a real team oriented leader who won top ST player and top conditioned athlete team awards. Unafraid to be the go-to player in the clutch and delivers. Think of him as the anti-Schwart.  LOL!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

5'10" 190lbs with the quicks and hands to get open anywhere, especially on 3rd & long. We missed him more than any other player in 2022. More importantly he is a real team oriented leader who won top ST player and top conditioned athlete team awards. Unafraid to be the go-to player in the clutch and delivers. Think of him as the anti-Schwart.  LOL!

Sounds like he'll be a great player, which probably means our scouting department won't even know he exists. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Unsympathetic said:

2016 FO took Corey Coleman and Emmanuel Ogbah both over osu's Michael Thomas and Miss St's Chris Jones.  Good times.

You left out both over Bama's terror RB Derrick Henry. I ain't never lettin' that go!😂

Have started to look at the FA class, because other BBoard members have pointed out that it is uncommon for a rookie IDL to make an immediate impact, and we sure as heck need an improvement there. Spotrac has a nifty overview for those interested. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Turns out getting an improvement over Taven Bryan, who has a projected market value of 6.6 M, is going to be a challenge to say the least. Shy of the Browns entering the Da'Ron Payne sweepstakes that is, but I don't see us forking out 19 M given our tight cap space. Dalvin Tomlinson at 8.5 M seems one of very few other options of getting an improvement at an acceptable price.

Maybe using our second rounder on IDL, and getting a more affordable rotation guy in free agency would be a better bet?

• Upvote 1

On 2/15/2023 at 11:18 PM, ballpeen said:

Bell can catch.  I am just not sure he can get open.  Either he is too slow, or doesn't have the quicks in his breaks to create seperation....maybe a little of both?

FWIW: According to the stats, apparently he is the best rookie WR at getting separation. 

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2023/2/17/23604752/david-bell-browns-nfl-draft-separation

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Korsou Dawg said:

Have started to look at the FA class, because other BBoard members have pointed out that it is uncommon for a rookie IDL to make an immediate impact, and we sure as heck need an improvement there. Spotrac has a nifty overview for those interested. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Not here to high jack Dutch's good player Prospect thread 👍.. Most have quite a long list of prospects pending Combine.. but a..

WOW ! .. to we have only added 5 players via the Free Agent route 🤔  It's just a tad to soon to discuss the pool of FA's yet because a Tread for that will soon come on that topic.. still no perfect science/to not knowing who hit's the FA list

but here's a perfectly good example/click by position of FA's that may forecast thru the trees.. 

If you want a more detailed breakdown of every single player and option then please jump into the articles below:

Quarterbacks
Running Backs
Wide Receivers
Tight Ends
Tackles
Guards
Centers
Edges (Starting)
Edges (Rotational)
Defensive Tackles
Linebackers
Cornerbacks
Safeties

( head banging stuff )

This time of year.. I have a bad habit of saving a ton of hype links 🤓

This Overall rocket science 🚀 project can be found in this link

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Cleveland-Browns-Free-Agency-Cheat-Sheet-204777079/#204777079_1

can't stress enough...There's a L O N G way to go on players the media has no clue of knowing at this time and the Combine is the GM's meeting place..

stay tuned !  A lot  of confirmed news is still to come #prospectsgalore.. Now back to drafting some.. 

• Thanks 2