THE BROWNS BOARD

Tell me again why Browns Stadium shouldn't have roof

Orion

9 hours ago, Flugel said:

Where did I say I wanted Lamar Jackson? 

Did you have to say his name in order for me to mention him?  

And I don't like designed runs for Josh Allen either.  Let's make it simple, I don't like designed runs for QB's unless it's a QB sneak.  Even then I didn't want Mayfield QB sneaking because he was useless at it....and probably fumbled half the time. 

It's bad enough a QB gets hurt playing from the pocket sometimes.  

Too much money is invested in the QB.  Too much of your team's success depends on that guy.  I don't want my QB trying to gain yards with his legs....unless the seas part in front of him (like Burrow did in the championship game), or unless he has to get out of the pocket and then finds some room to run.  I need his arm and I don't want to have to need his legs.

That's just me.   And it's always going to be me.

I'll never forget one time when Baker rolled out and ran, and then took a defensive player on and got smashed into the sideline.  One of our TE's ran up to him and Baker said "Shut up."  Because he knew what the TE was going to say.  But the TE said it to him anyway, "Don't do that.  We need you."  (this came from a Hard Knocks episode)  And I remember thinking, that TE should become a coach someday.  What was his name now?   Felder?  No, that's an Eagles guitar player.......

1 hour ago, syd said:

hey what the hell was wrong with the UFO D forgot which coach ran that wacky shit cause it sure as hell didnt work for us

Bob Slowik... Yeah It was weird......

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, syd said:

hey what the hell was wrong with the UFO D forgot which coach ran that wacky shit cause it sure as hell didnt work for us

😆  It was the 15-20 yard cushions that surrendered the right for our Cornerbacks to compete or at least attempt to do so. It looks like Nicks gave you the correct answer of who the DC was back then. 

And then there's Ray Horton, who had some very unique ghost-town zone coverages here leaving a third of the field wide open to exploit.  It seemed like every time a RB/Receiver caught a pass - pursuit couldn't reach him for another 25-30 yards. We didn't just hire him once.  Oh no, we had to hire him again as if the owner and FO asked themselves "are we sure he REALLY sucked the first time?"  Even worse, the answer was "No, we're not sure.  Bring him back. If we're wrong we'll get a higher draft pick."   You don't say...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Orion said:

And I don't like designed runs for Josh Allen either.  Let's make it simple, I don't like designed runs for QB's unless it's a QB sneak.  Even then I didn't want Mayfield QB sneaking because he was useless at it....and probably fumbled half the time. 

It's bad enough a QB gets hurt playing from the pocket sometimes.  

Too much money is invested in the QB.  Too much of your team's success depends on that guy.  I don't want my QB trying to gain yards with his legs....unless the seas part in front of him (like Burrow did in the championship game), or unless he has to get out of the pocket and then finds some room to run.  I need his arm and I don't want to have to need his legs.

That's just me.   And it's always going to be me.

I'd be disappointed if it wasn't you. Wouldn't want it any other way.  You did a great job explaining why and where you are coming from.  As you know, I get very tunnel vision to my opinions and ideas. That's the reason I enjoy interacting with you in here.  When we disagree, you do a good of making a knucklehead like me see your angle on it. Sometimes you'll even add in a perfect blend of smartass.

Beside Schwartz, the other thing we did see eye to eye on is that we have a lot of money/cap space/future invested in Watson.  I can't fault you for not wanting us to turn Watson into a wreckless QB like Lamar Jackson or using the type of choices a Josh Allen makes when he runs the ball.  I don't want that either. I was just trying to think of what originally made Watson an attractive draft choice and the efficient QB the Browns wanted; so I could project what type of current system would match what he does best. As I said, it doesn't have to be one that uses a lot of RPO read behind 2 Pro Bowl Guards. I'm open to other ideas Watson could flourish in. I think there's a lot of fans worrying if the Browns will have the right offensive design/system fit for what he does best.   

This wasn't good at the time per say; but on the worst possible weather conditions to throw vrs the Saints - he had 3 passes that hit the hands of his targets in the end zone (showing people that were concerned if this QB who grew up/played in the South could be accurate, clutch and poised in the bitter cold up north too). We'll see what happens moving forward...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Flugel said:

As you know, I get very tunnel vision to my opinions and ideas. -  As we all do.

That's the reason I enjoy interacting with you in here.  When we disagree, you do a good of making a knucklehead (never ever thought of you as a knucklehead) like me see your angle on it. Sometimes you'll even add in a perfect blend of smartass.

... but that's just me.  :)    luv ya Flugel

13 hours ago, syd said:

Anchor points along the defensive line against checked run calls was/is a huge problem.  

3rd and 3 becomes far more inviting to run the ball against a defense where you're almost guaranteed to fire off the ball with superior pad level.  At that point, 3 yards isn't much. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/cleveland-browns-want-new-stadium-city-community-input/95-5cd479c9-aa21-4ce6-b1e7-270b786c71f6

The Browns organization funded a study on the long-term viability of First Energy Stadium... Highlights? The study paints the picture of First Energy as a poorly-designed, poorly-built stadium that isn't worth the money to renovate when the lease in 2028 ends.

The Browns appear to be going balls to the wall for a new stadium. 

• Thanks 1

The study was conducted by HKS Architects, which also designed the Minnesota Vikings’ $1 billion enclosed US Bank Stadium in 2016. Prendergast previously reported that any new stadium for the Browns could include a dome or retractable roof.

"They hired an architectural firm to do an assessment of the stadium and lo and behold, it doesn't meet their needs in terms of the structural condition of the amenities, the concourse spaces," Prendergast told Fischer. "The fact is that it doesn't have a roof and is limited in terms of what kind of events that you can have there."

Thanks Dutch!  

...and as that future draws near (2028ish) let's hope that the city is careful enough to not lose another franchise...

1 hour ago, syd said:

they have the money so hopefully it's on their dime

The amount of money the Haslams just dropped for a 25% stake of the Milwaukee Bucks would have paid for a good portion of a new stadium. 

1 hour ago, syd said:

they have the money so hopefully it's on their dime

I think the article does state that there's been no real talks about monies.  Just some conjecture of where some might come from.  

If a roofed stadium does get built I'm going to take credit for it's inspiration because of this thread.  And I'll want a plaque with my name on it.  I can see it now, Orion's Mens Room.   Awwww  Beautiful!

• Haha 1