THE BROWNS BOARD

Tell me again why Browns Stadium shouldn't have roof

Orion

On 12/31/2022 at 1:03 PM, Ghoolie Always Ghoolie said:

At this stage in life, I seek the desert and loathe the winter. However, if I had the chance to see the Browns in the AFC championship game by way of 50 yard line seats, I would attend if the game was played on the frigid, snowy lakefront, but honestly would refuse if it was in a dome.

Cleveland football is played on the lakefront. If a new stadium is built elsewhere, for me it will be another piece of America gone to hell.

Thats one way to look at it I guess. I think there's a half dozen or more sites in the large, spread out, city of Cleveland that would be a better site than where the stadium currently is both for accessibility and for weather but, again, the team is not good enough to justify the cost. If they made the playoffs three seasons in a row they'd be in a better position to go begging for public handouts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Thats one way to look at it I guess. I think there's a half dozen or more sites in the large, spread out, city of Cleveland that would be a better site than where the stadium currently is both for accessibility and for weather but, again, the team is not good enough to justify the cost. If they made the playoffs three seasons in a row they'd be in a better position to go begging for public handouts. 

I've said it before, I fear another move. Funding is a true potential problem, and one other thing is the continued losing is killing a fan base. If you're under 30/35. years old you've seen nothing but sadness, except a season or 3.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

I've said it before, I fear another move. Funding is a true potential problem, and one other thing is the continued losing is killing a fan base. If you're under 30/35. years old you've seen nothing but sadness, except a season or 3.

Where would they move? Who would want them there? Unless they plan on opening up an entirely new market like iowa or maine or nebraska i just dont see a lot of landing spots. 

22 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

Where would they move? Who would want them there? Unless they plan on opening up an entirely new market like iowa or maine or nebraska i just dont see a lot of landing spots. 

Cities poach each other, could be anywhere. St. Louis, Memphis, Birmingham, Portland, Oklahoma City, San Diego. 

I don't trust Haslam. I trust his desire to win, but not his management. Ever notice during broadcasts that the narrative is always about our opponents? Yesterday was a Steeler infomercial. I think the NFL thinks he's a bum ( last straw was the DW contract). 

I hope they never move. That was the worst in 95. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2023 at 8:58 PM, The Cysko Kid said:

My Era is dying, so the hallowed ground thing doesn't mean as much. However, the stadium is really for the fans, and Browns fans deserve the very best. No fans have endured the shit we have.

• Thanks 1

Because it's gay.

Football is played outdoors, on grass, in the elements ... anything else is homosexual in nature.

Plus it turns your team into pussies.

Look at the record of dome teams on the road in the playoffs ... .244.

Z

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

Look at the record of dome teams on the road in the playoffs ... .244

Did the Lions just beat the Packers?   Did the Saints just beat us in the 3rd coldest football game?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Did the Lions just beat the Packers?   Did the Saints just beat us in the 3rd coldest football game?  

so fucking what zambo is right FUCK a dome play outdoors fuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadome

1 hour ago, syd said:

fuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadome

Look Bowie!  You got the song wrong.  It's a Stones song.  StarFuckaStar FuckaStar FuckaStar FuckaStar

...and I'm not saying dome, I'm saying roof.  It can be retractable.  I tell ya what, perhaps they can construct it such that certain sections can be glassed off from the rest of the stadium thus allowing climate conditions in that section such as pouring rain or severely cold temperatures with snow so that you and Zombo can sit there.  :) 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, syd said:

so fucking what zambo is right FUCK a dome play outdoors fuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadomefuckadome

But it doesn't have to be a dome. Retractable roof. You just don't have to freeze when it's 30 below.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neo said:

But it doesn't have to be a dome. Retractable roof. You just don't have to freeze when it's 30 below.

Freezing your ass off makes you a man. People need to stop being pussies!

Sincerely,

People who now live in parts of the country whose weather is far superior to NE Ohio

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Very true!  Aside from that reality here in 2023, the last time the Browns won a playoff game at home was January 1, 1995.  

I would rather have the Browns use a prehistoric Ice Bowl era mentality toward adding some NFL caliber DTs that can actually stop the run and free-up the LBers that all ended up on IR.  We do that, and maybe our very strong running game has a chance to get more credit for its efforts than a 7-10 record.  

Everybody likes to talk tough about the dome thing.  That's fine because our history in previous eras rewarded it.  That said, when the Browns still had playoff hopes alive against a beatable Saints team in the 15 below zero winds chills off the lake - there were a lot of empty seats.  Not only that, the Browns receivers dropped 3 passes in the end zone on a very bad day to be throwing the ball.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Freezing your ass off makes you a man. People need to stop being pussies!

Sincerely,

People who now live in parts of the country whose weather is far superior to NE Ohio

Look how many Super Bowls Aaron Rodgers wins today playing at home throughout the playoffs.  ZERO.  The one Super Bowl he won with the Packers they were a 6th seeded Wild Card Team that played all their playoff games on the road.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Look how many Super Bowls Aaron Rodgers wins today playing at home throughout the playoffs.  ZERO.  The one Super Bowl he won with the Packers they were a 6th seeded Wild Card Team that played all their playoff games on the road.  

Good stat of the day ZERO..   Maybe just maybe the Green Bay Packers players were OK with not playing in  ... " The frozen tundra of Lambeau Field " ....     in my best NFL Films John Facenda voice.  Ever wonder about that ?

But it sure was romantic in the 1960s, 1970s even 1980s with those Ice Bowl games.

Almost makes you yearn for a rendition of.   " The Autumn Wind "   by John Facenda  now that the playoffs are on.  

OK here it is .... think Lambeau in January..... John Madden in the booth.....  who needs a dome......

The autumn wind is a pirate
Blustering in from sea
With a rollicking song, he sweeps along
Swaggering boisterously

His face is weather beaten
He wears a hooded sash
With a silver hat about his head
And a bristling black mustache

He growls as he storms the country
A villain big and bold
And the trees all shake and quiver and quake
As he robs them of their gold

The autumn wind is a Raider
Pillaging just for fun
He'll knock you 'round and upside down
And laugh when he's conquered and won

There are four teams that played in domes that have four Super Bowl's since the start of the 21'st century.

the 2000 St Louis Rams

the 2007 Indianapolis Colts

the 2010 New Orleans Saints

and the 2022 Los Angeles Rams.

Four Super Bowl wins with seven overall Super Bowl appearances with the others being the Falcons and Rams both losing to New England. So playing in a dome or a stadium that has a roof isn't so bad after all.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:19 AM, Zombo said:

Because it's gay.

Football is played outdoors, on grass, in the elements ... anything else is homosexual in nature.

Plus it turns your team into pussies.

Look at the record of dome teams on the road in the playoffs ... .244.

Z

Usually you only see people this confident in posts this incorrect in the poli board. Interesting to see one out here...

5 hours ago, Neo said:

There are four teams that played in domes that have four Super Bowl's since the start of the 21'st century.

the 2000 St Louis Rams

the 2007 Indianapolis Colts

the 2010 New Orleans Saints

and the 2022 Los Angeles Rams.

Four Super Bowl wins with seven overall Super Bowl appearances with the others being the Falcons and Rams both losing to New England. So playing in a dome or a stadium that has a roof isn't so bad after all.

Sofi doesn't count. 3 in 23 years is not impressive.

This year two dome teams made the playoffs, Seattle and Minnesota, and I'll bet you neither team wins a road game.

Z

On 12/31/2022 at 11:22 AM, Orion said:

Thanks for the responses and thoughts.   

My original thinking of this thread was for football home field advantage reasoning, with a caveat that money was no object (which, of course, it always is).

We have one person who hikes and climbs mountains like a billy-goat.  Good luck filling a stadium with outdoor adventurers.  Of course there's the stoned and sloshed bunch who'll have their shirts off.  But, I'm talking normal, everyday, regular people (que Joe Walsh Ordinary Average Guy) who wants to go and enjoy watching his/her favorite football team.  Key word, 'enjoy'.  Yes, it won't be as enjoyable if the team gets beat as expected...but would more people go to late season games if they didn't have to endure being subjected to lousy weather for 4 or 5 hours?    (rhetorical question)

I assume you're referring to me Orion... :)  I don't climb mountains like a billy goat any longer.   I will freely admit to being an outlier in fandom, when you go camping in -5 weather to see if your -20 sleeping bag is all that it's cracked up to be.  :D And FWIW, the really miserable NFL games are outliers. The Bills- Dolphins  or the Bungles- Ratbird game Sunday night are Exhibits A, and you want to bet me that the stands in 30 degree (or colder) weather won't be full?    

PS, I don't know if this picture will show up properly, but it's one of my favorites... Nephew Sherpa Joe on the SouthWest Couloir of Middle Teton.  :)   

image.thumb.jpeg.b660e5ba2b9482dd71abf055db0cf629.jpeg

On 1/1/2023 at 8:26 AM, Dutch Oven said:

For someone who lives nowhere near Cleveland, and for someone who admits most likely won't be around when a new stadium is built, this topic consistently fires you up like no other 😁

Because I've plunked my Season Ticket money down every year since the return in 1999, and sorry- but my 0.02 cents matters.   BTW, Ballpeen has the opposite opinion, and that's fine.   

7 hours ago, Zombo said:

Sofi doesn't count. 3 in 23 years is not impressive.

This year two dome teams made the playoffs, Seattle and Minnesota, and I'll bet you neither team wins a road game.

Z

Correction, and i'm sure it's an oversight on your part Z....  The Seahawks play in an open air stadium.  But Seattle rarely gets extreme weather.  

• Upvote 1

I'd be glad to see a dome in Cleveland especially a retractable 1. With real grass. I hate spending a lot of money for assholes Jimmy and Dee.  On the other hand I'd like to keep the Browns here if possible regardless of that dickhead and his wife. And what the hell if we can use the stadium for something else that's a plus.

WSS 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

I assume you're referring to me Orion... :)  I don't climb mountains like a billy goat any longer.   I will freely admit to being an outlier in fandom, when you go camping in -5 weather to see if your -20 sleeping bag is all that it's cracked up to be.  :D And FWIW, the really miserable NFL games are outliers. The Bills- Dolphins  or the Bungles- Ratbird game Sunday night are Exhibits A, and you want to bet me that the stands in 30 degree (or colder) weather won't be full?    

PS, I don't know if this picture will show up properly, but it's one of my favorites... Nephew Sherpa Joe on the SouthWest Couloir of Middle Teton.  :)   

image.thumb.jpeg.b660e5ba2b9482dd71abf055db0cf629.jpeg

Because I've plunked my Season Ticket money down every year since the return in 1999, and sorry- but my 0.02 cents matters.   BTW, Ballpeen has the opposite opinion, and that's fine.   

Correction, and i'm sure it's an oversight on your part Z....  The Seahawks play in an open air stadium.  But Seattle rarely gets extreme weather.  

That's right, Kawks moved our of that dome decades ago, lol.

So it's up to Minnesota to win a road game. Good luck.

Z

On 12/31/2022 at 11:22 AM, Orion said:

Thanks for the responses and thoughts.   

My original thinking of this thread was for football home field advantage reasoning, with a caveat that money was no object (which, of course, it always is).

We have one person who hikes and climbs mountains like a billy-goat.  Good luck filling a stadium with outdoor adventurers.  Of course there's the stoned and sloshed bunch who'll have their shirts off.  But, I'm talking normal, everyday, regular people (que Joe Walsh Ordinary Average Guy) who wants to go and enjoy watching his/her favorite football team.  Key word, 'enjoy'.  Yes, it won't be as enjoyable if the team gets beat as expected...but would more people go to late season games if they didn't have to endure being subjected to lousy weather for 4 or 5 hours?    (rhetorical question)

Yes. 

In my 20s and 30s, I could easily endure going to a cold weather game off the lake.  I also lived within a mile of Lake Ontario for 6 years. Now that I'm in my late 50s - the thought of going to see if players like Jedrick Wills, Jadeveon Clowney and John Johnson are interested in playing ball when it's too cold wouldn't even make sense with a crackpipe.  They're not even interested when it isn't cold half the time.  That would be like going to watch Fleetwood Mac back in the day if Stevie Nicks had laryngitis and Lindsey Buckingham had 3 teeth pulled.  I'm sure Christie McVie would have been the ultimate professional like Nick Chubb trying to pick up the slack.  But in the end, you paid for entertainment you didn't receive back. That kind of stuff plus frigid cold wind chills doesn't motivate middle class, middle aged and/or older fans of any socioeconomic status to come see games.  The character of this team in the 80s would have brought me to the stadium regardless of the weather.  For example, we drove in a snow storm from Rochester, NY to Cleveland to watch Clay Matthews intercept Jim Kelly to seal a playoff victory over Buffalo the last season Cleveland would make it to a Conference Championship game. Back then, I never had to worry about effort and passion from the players.  

Once upon a time, the NFL didn't cater to Corporate America.  It catered to blue collar cities and fan bases like Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Philly, Green Bay, Chicago, Minnesota, Cincy and even Detroit.  Today, Roger Goodell doesn't care about half those teams while he's marketing HIS product to other countries (with the TV Contract Monopoly escalating Shared Revenues of owners to all new heights).  And the Cleveland Browns are a million miles and decades away from some of the entertainment our fan-base was treated to in the mid-late 40s through the 80s (and a season or 2 in the 90s). Some of our younger fans have never been able to experience what we have or what some of our fathers and grandfathers have with this team.  And we expect them to go watch the Browns drop 3 passes in the end zone against the Saints on a day the wind chills are 15 below zero?  Even worse, the ONLY offensive game plan that didn't understand the impact of the weather in that match-up was from the Browns. 

I miss the blue collar football era because the Browns would have been very tough to beat counting on a true professional like Nick Chubb.  Not only that, we would have had a FO that understood the value of IDL/DTs that could put a 220 lb ILB/MLB like Mike Johnson in 2 Pro Bowls, and give us the productive longevity of a guy like Clay Matthews here. The era has changed but the T-shirt full of QBs that failed in Cleveland since 99 is telling us now more than ever we need the right FO steering the ship.  Since the Browns haven't been able to draft anything close to Bernie Kosar in the last 38 years and/or equip him with an OC like Lindy Infante; they could at least provide a pass friendlier climate with a roof over head.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

In my 20s and 30s, I could easily endure going to a cold weather game off the lake.  I also lived within a mile of Lake Ontario for 6 years. Now that I'm in my late 50s -

Right.  Most mid 50's on up are pretty much done with cold and lousy weather games.

3 hours ago, Flugel said:

a FO that understood the value of IDL/DTs that could put a 220 lb ILB/MLB like Mike Johnson in 2 Pro Bowls

He's one of my all time favorite Browns players.