THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Talk

Adoug319

I know it seems that way. Good running game - bad oline.

However, Crowell isn't on Peterson's level... he's good but he's not ELITE. Johnson has been good but he's complimentary to the running game. I like Crow but he's coming up on a contract and replacing Crow with a player like Leo is an upgrade. Leonard Fournette is a game changer. I believe getting Bitonio back and having that left side locked down is going to be huge. We also have several other players that could turn out really decent on the O-Line for the right side.

I see a backfield of Leonard Fournette, Duke Johnson and Donnel Humphrey far superior to what we have now. Plus, that would enable us to cut like 5 runningbacks.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last in the league in alot of things this year. I'd say our issue is more on coverage than it is on pass rush. Our linebackers are terrible in coverage and our 3rd cb is really bad and i dont even know what Safety depth we are on.

Most of the time the opposing QB just hits the checkdown in sub 3 seconds and casually goes up the field. Or my favorite the middle of the field just above our linebackers. Or they just run it while our guys struggle to figure out what gaps are. Considering our guys are not slower or weaker than ANY OTHER nfl players and the evidence we have seen this season. I would say the biggest NEED is improved communication skills, Player positioning and Discipline.

But since we cant draft Coaching we'll have to settle for areas of maximum effective value

Edit: Also we are 28th in pressures not last... But last year we were actually Average in this statistic.

Pass rusher is a premium and there are far more top 5 worthy picks of them in this draft than top 5 linebackers which are extremely rare.

In today's NFL you have to build front to back. You have to be able to limit the run and consistently move the QB off the spot. The days of having Revis and Crow on each side then making up for it with a variety of secondary blitzing is over. Too much contact is called.

JJ watt can't Carry a team, Joe Thomas can't carry a team. LT could, Emmitt Could. Obviously QB Can carry a team.

Again Can't count on coaching so gotta put maximum impact in the players with the highest impact

LT carried his team...where? To first round playoffs exits every time? Emmitt had the luxury of a HoF QB and WR playing with him.

Let's not even start on the badass Olines both those teams had. Neither LT nor Smith are anywhere near as effective playing behind some lower tier bunch. You can say that for most every running back not named Sanders.

Pass rusher is a premium and there are far more top 5 worthy picks of them in this draft than top 5 linebackers which are extremely rare.

In today's NFL you have to build front to back. You have to be able to limit the run and consistently move the QB off the spot. The days of having Revis and Crow on each side then making up for it with a variety of secondary blitzing is over. Too much contact is called.

LT carried his team...where? To first round playoffs exits every time? Emmitt had the luxury of a HoF QB and WR playing with him.

Let's not even start on the badass Olines both those teams had. Neither LT nor Smith are anywhere near as effective playing behind some lower tier bunch. You can say that for most every running back not named Sanders.

Damn i was sitting there trying to remember sanders too

If we could get some first round exits in the playoffs from leonard that would be okay i guess... I mean if i am forced to

Also in point to the top portion of your statement we LITERALLY run zone blitz with heavy use of secondary Blitzers i'm not sure how your still stomaching the season to be honest.

I wouldnt want a "pure" edge rusher either, with that first pick i want a solid all around edge. Which is why for now im leaning to camp allen. Im not 100% sure garett is going to be ready in his rookie year to hold up at the point and then also shed his blocker to impede the play.

Allen looks to me a little like bosa in his discipline against blockers. And we saw how good bosa was from the get go in holding tackles off him. Garett looks like a guy who's developed his game to feast on mediocre college lineman. I dont see the toolset that works in the nfl being plyed by him. Its a little like clowney. Looks awesome in college but didnt really develop the hands to do the brawling necessary for nfl line duty. If we were a team with a history of teaching kids well, than yeah take garett.

I managed this masterpiece. Would anyone be upset with this draft?

Me... You managed to avoid all the impact players at the top of the draft.

JJ watt can't Carry a team, Joe Thomas can't carry a team. LT could, Emmitt Could.

No... they did not...

Bingo! LT's QBs were no slouches either. And you did not even mention the Ds both had...

I don't mind Crow. He's playing for the worst possible team for his skill set. I would LOVE to see Crow play for a team that actually has a lead in a game. Crow runs hard, and I can imagine he wouldn't be fun to tackle 26 times a game. He never will get that chance playing for us. That doesn't mean I wouldn't mind some competition for him, but I certainly wouldn't want to use a high draft pick on a RB. I also like Duke, but we can't figure out enough ways to get him the ball, and it's obnoxious. Kind of like our entire offense. Obnoxious.

In regards to Garrett in the pros, I could actually see him struggle at first. His immense physical gifts won't allow him the same benefit in the NFL, and he'll have to hone his technique. However, after a brief learning period, I fully expect Garrett to have a successful career. His speed rush alone is absolutely insane, and I'm assuming he has a spin move as well. Also, look at his frame. Garrett could easily gain about 15 pounds and probably not lose much speed. What I didn't like about Garrett was that half of his sacks this year came in one game against some crappy opponent. I've read that Garrett has one of the highest defensive grades in years, and several people have him higher than Clowney. If he's healthy, he's going to be a problem for an offense.

Will be interesting to see if Darius Jackson sees the field this week. If he can flash something, anything, it should reduce the position's emphasis in the draft.

Crow still has issues picking the right hole when a choice presents itself. All his bursts vs. CIN this year were single lane runs with lanes where they were supposed to be. He left a bunch of yards on the field when he had options...

In regards to Garrett in the pros, I could actually see him struggle at first. His immense physical gifts won't allow him the same benefit in the NFL, and he'll have to hone his technique. However, after a brief learning period, I fully expect Garrett to have a successful career. His speed rush alone is absolutely insane, and I'm assuming he has a spin move as well. Also, look at his frame. Garrett could easily gain about 15 pounds and probably not lose much speed. What I didn't like about Garrett was that half of his sacks this year came in one game against some crappy opponent. I've read that Garrett has one of the highest defensive grades in years, and several people have him higher than Clowney. If he's healthy, he's going to be a problem for an offense.

I hear you, there's always somewhat of a learning curve, but can the Browns afford to pick a guy that may not have an impact right away? I'd understand if they picked a QB, had him ride the bench to develop, but that #1 pick needs to get out there and produce immediately.

I hear you, there's always somewhat of a learning curve, but can the Browns afford to pick a guy that may not have an impact right away? I'd understand if they picked a QB, had him ride the bench to develop, but that #1 pick needs to get out there and produce immediately.

Why immediately? We don't expect to contend even next year, why would we need him to come in NFL ready?

Why immediately? We don't expect to contend even next year, why would we need him to come in NFL ready?

I don't buy the "we don't expect to contend" stuff. This year, ok I get it.

Contending for a SB is probably a pipe dream, but contending for a playoff berth isn't crazy. There's 3 or 4 elite teams, about 3 or 4 hideous teams, and everybody else is about the same.

The Browns bringing in new plamyakers, say 2 on each side of the ball, could put them in that "everybody else" group that includes teams like TBay, Washington, Indy, Houston, Tenn, Detroit, etc. Yeah, I'm optimistic about it.

Why would we take a RB in the 1st round when the running game has been the only bright spot on this team despite the awful O line...?? pass rusher, qb, ol....those are the positions that "must" be addressed in the first 2-3 rounds. Unless we do something in free agency with the OL

might be a bright spot but sadly nothing to hang your hat on.

crowell would have to run for 300 yards in these last 2 games to become a 1k rusher. johnson is at like 350 lucky to get to 400 yards at this point.

we play in the AFCN and our run game is shit and has been shit for years now.

Contending for a SB is probably a pipe dream, but contending for a playoff berth isn't crazy. There's 3 or 4 elite teams, about 3 or 4 hideous teams, and everybody else is about the same.

The Browns bringing in new plamyakers, say 2 on each side of the ball, could put them in that "everybody else" group that includes teams like TBay, Washington, Indy, Houston, Tenn, Detroit, etc. Yeah, I'm optimistic about it.

That's kind of what I was getting at, though.

Forsaking a playmaker to take a guy who may be more pro ready day one should not be our draft plan. We are not a 8-8 team looking to maintain while grooming players. We are a winless team looking to add the best playmakers we can, regardless of position or day one pro readiness.

If Garrett isn't as ready as Allen day one, so what? Day one doesn't do shit for us anyway.

Contending for a SB is probably a pipe dream, but contending for a playoff berth isn't crazy.

Christ... it's starting already.

Will be interesting to see if Darius Jackson sees the field this week.

hmpf....they are not listening....

Contending for a SB is probably a pipe dream, but contending for a playoff berth isn't crazy.

Um....yeah....it probably is.....

But we can dream....right?

Christ... it's starting already.

Hahahaha.....I promise that I will not overwhelm you with too much optimism......;)

well you guys can stop with the Garrett talk, because the browns won.

And so did the niners....crawl back into your hole now......

Anddddddddd we have #1 back

Yeppers....now, lets give it back next week.......#2 is just as good, thank you.

Archived