THE BROWNS BOARD

Jonathan Paul Manziel

Adoug319

Hope jff doesnt shit the bed on national exposure. think some people are watching to see something great or a train wreck. i got my beer ready for either one.

Just out of curiosity... Same beer or two different brands?

Yeah- no comprendo- the AFC Games should be on CBS, & NFC games on FOX. It's long been the rule the visiting teams Conference affiliation picks up the broadcast- at least on Sunday afternoon games.

It's the flexi thing... although I saw a different term for it that I've already forgotten.

This should show that Johnny is more than just another college football player. He is a phenomenon.

I wonder what percentage of viewers will be pulling to see Johnny "NFL Football" vs. Johnny "NFL Failball"?

Go Browns...

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should show that Johnny is more than just another college football player. He is a phenomenon.

Of course, like Tebow, he will flame out if he doesn't play well. I think he will.

Here's to 10-15 years of must-see Browns TV.

I think most people are aware that the media can't get enough of Johnny. Regardless of the your stance on the kid, the extra Browns coverage will be a plus. I think we got scheduled for 5 primetime games the year following our Tebow year because of that. Full disclosure, I am also an Aggie, but I am not here to tell you how lucky you are to have him because of how good he was in college. I have seen way too many stars in college bust in the NFL to claim to know how good he might be.

Gip, ya know I love ya- but just because Bert Bell had a grudge- it is what it is. 65 years and counting- it's not going to change, just like Shoeless Joe Jackson is never going to get reinstated.

and never will be.

Yes, which sucks.

Hoorta.....you are under the misperception that recognition by the NFL matters one whit. It doesn't. Example: Bhutan, Iran, Cuba and North Korea do not recognize the existance of The United States of America.....but the last time I looked, the USA does exist.

Not happy with that analogy.....then just turn it around. Iran, Cuba, N. Korea, Bhutan all exist even if the USA does not recognize them.

Some people deny the holocaust.....but it still happened.

Denying or "not recognizing" history doesn't change or delete history.

A question to those that have seen the build up to the other 20 quarterbacks. Does this feel any different? Is there any clue that you can sense that gives you slightly more hope?

Nope. Feels similar to Quinn. Similar to Anderson in 08. Weeden - not so much.

The only thing that gives me slightly more hope is an improved defense and a better offensive cast than what Weeden had. Anderson was fortunate to have to a good Oline and the one year wonder of Braylon and Winslow.

I know a guy from Texas who is a Dallas Cowboys/NY Yankees fan... I think alot of people like that are simply bandwagon fans who followed the Yankees for years simply because they were consistently a good ball team.

We know a guy from Akron, Ohio who claims to be a Cowboys/Yankees fan. His name is LeBron James.

Years ago I invented a term that you will see here on occasion: FRAK, simply FrontRunnerAssKisser. Guys that jump on the bandwagon of teams that win instead of really being loyal to you home town team.

To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace: Fuck FRAKS.

A question to those that have seen the build up to the other 20 quarterbacks. Does this feel any different? Is there any clue that you can sense that gives you slightly more hope?

For me its hard to tell, I am always optimistic with our new qb, even if I didn't want them to be drafted in the first place (Quinn, weeden, JF). I think we all try to be optimistic but have our doubt's. As far as the way the coaches have handled it I think this is the best handling of the situation we could have had and by far the best since we have been back.

Build up? There wasn't a build up anything like JFF, but then again, we didn't get a million manzielots with the other QB's either.....

In the past and unlike this year, there wasn;t an acceptable starter in place, so we rushed them in without time for the build up./

Great questions...

It is different, but probably not in the way for which you were looking... not in my case anyway.

For the most part through the 20 we were looking for a miracle, a savior. The team was so bad that the next QB was virtually doomed to fail before he began. There were a couple respites (a year or two under Butch and one under Mangini), but this was the circumstance most of the time.

With the growth we have seen in the team this year, I am still looking for "first-do-no-harm", QB competence like that which got this team to 6-3. This is not what you expect from rookie QB's in general let alone an exciting, college-hero QB.

In the BUF game, I saw the college-hero QB. While I understand it was in a situation that called for heroism, it did nothing to assure me JM can dial down his game.

So I think what I am "hoping for" differs at least from what you and other... ahem... "shorter-term, Browns fans" are hoping for...

Ask me again at halftime on Sunday...

Nah but Houstonianswere just too apathetic. When the Oilers announced that they were leaving maybe 100 people showed up downtown to protest but what did Cleveland do to Model! Sued his ass - you can't take the name, you can't take the colors - you can't take shit ahd we'll try to stop you from taking the team.

Houston didn't have the legal recourse that Cleveland did with its lease deal. Despite all of our protests to the moon and back, if it were not for the order issued by the court requiring specific performance of the lease agreement....Modell could have just skulked away the way Adams and Irsay did.

McNair,even though he is a great man, has no originality. The Texans name stems from the Dallas team that Lamar Hunt moved to KC and re-names it the Chiefs. I would have purchased the Oilers name from Bud Adams and the colors. It could have been Luv Ya Blue round 2.

I believe there was an effort to do so....either Adams would not sell it at any price or the price he put on the name was so exhorbitant that it could not be done. Funny that a greedy man like him would not entertain any reasonable offers

BTW, not dumb. I'll bet you're bundled up in Wadsworth right now while I'm sitting outside in shorts and a t-shirt posting on my laptop. Ain't nothing like 70's on Dec 11.

A summer there in your sweltering shithole is worse than a winter here. :P

Why am I not surprised?

Gip, sorry, but I could give two shits whether the NFL ever acknowledges the AAFC records of a great team in an inferior league.

Go (future) Browns...

You're damn right more people will. I don't know a single Cleveland Browns fan in person and never have, but I know more people who are interested in this game than any other this weekend (Minus Pats/Dolphins of course...)

I don't know a single Patriots fan and never have.

Seriously, take a gander at this site if you're interested- http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/forums/patsfans-com-patriots-fan-forum.10/

The amount of bickering, bitching and idiocracy has driven me from it and I used to love posting there. I've been logging on here instead the past two days.

We deal with this regular with Pittsburgh fans. But, once Tom Brady retires the arrogance will go out of them...and they will be the irrelevent team that they were for the first 40 years of their existance. (though their 40 years wasn't as bad as the Steelers first 40 years)

BTW, not dumb. I'll bet you're bundled up in Wadsworth right now while I'm sitting outside in shorts and a t-shirt posting on my laptop. Ain't nothing like 70's on Dec 11.

Haha....I always laugh when folks act like hot, dusty, sweaty, nasty places are better because there isnt snow or cold.....

I'll take my winter....to be rewarded with glorious springs....perfectly tolerable(and GREEN) summers......beautiful, cool falls......all topped by a blanket of white for christmas.....

My bro lives in Tucson, the ugliest and most hostile environment Ive ever been in.....I wouldn't last a week there.....

And I visit Texas & Oklahoma about 5-6 times a year and wouldn't trade for a day.....or an hour....

Haha....I always laugh when folks act like hot, dusty, sweaty, nasty places are better because there isnt snow or cold.....

I'll take my winter....to be rewarded with glorious springs....perfectly tolerable(and GREEN) summers......beautiful, cool falls......all topped by a blanket of white for christmas.....

My bro lives in Tucson, the ugliest and most hostile environment Ive ever been in.....I wouldn't last a week there.....

And I visit Texas & Oklahoma about 5-6 times a year and wouldn't trade for a day.....or an hour....

Well, to be honest, that has been my attitude too......but now that I am the age I am dealing with ice where you have to walk...and snow is becoming a problem. Plus I am starting to get some of those little tweeking pains from the cold...so I could see leaving the cold weather. But where would be the best place to go? I hate humid sweltering heat.....like Fla/Louisiana/ parts of Texas. San Diego and other parts of California might be great weather wise....but the traffic/cost of living etc. seem intolerable. Arizona is a possibility....but not Tuscon or Phoenix.....north toward Prescott or Sedona might be good. Flagstaff is too far north as they get a ton of snow there.

We deal with this regular with Pittsburgh fans. But, once Tom Brady retires the arrogance will go out of them...and they will be the irrelevent team that they were for the first 40 years of their existance. (though their 40 years wasn't as bad as the Steelers first 40 years)

I don't think its Tom Brady that gives New England fans this arrogance- even for all the years the Red Sox and Patriots weren't great, New England fans are typically arrogant jackasses who can only respond to disagreement by insisting that they are right. Also I don't think the Pats will necessarily be a bad team again just because Brady retires. If they let Jimmy G. learn behind Brady for a few years I could see him being a decent franchise quarterback. He is a FAR better backup skill-set wise than Mallet and Hoyer ever were (though you guys know all too well about the latter)

Why am I not surprised?

Gip, sorry, but I could give two shits whether the NFL ever acknowledges the AAFC records of a great team in an inferior league.

Go (future) Browns...

Except.....note....the AAFC was not the inferior league. For reasons I state earlier. The Browns just became too dominant for it.

This whole Johnny thing just might turn my Sunday Ticket money into beer money... hmmmmm...

well at least there's that.............WINNING!

I sent fox a message saying you were there Mik. They replied, "Well we'll just X that fucker out". :P

i literally almost fell off my chair reading this. fuggin hilarious!

You're damn right more people will. I don't know a single Cleveland Browns fan in person and never have, but I know more people who are interested in this game than any other this weekend (Minus Pats/Dolphins of course...)

i lived in the boston area in the late 80s. believe me, you'd remember me.

went to the original garden to see a bruin's game with comp seats behind the bench, weeks later going out to bars people recognized me from the telecast.

yeah i'm that good mfers.

I don't think its Tom Brady that gives New England fans this arrogance- even for all the years the Red Sox and Patriots weren't great, New England fans are typically arrogant jackasses who can only respond to disagreement by insisting that they are right.

Nothing new to me, I am a lawyer after all.

Also I don't think the Pats will necessarily be a bad team again just because Brady retires. If they let Jimmy G. learn behind Brady for a few years I could see him being a decent franchise quarterback. He is a FAR better backup skill-set wise than Mallet and Hoyer ever were (though you guys know all too well about the latter)

Oh, now you really sound like a freeking Steeler fan: "We are great because we are great and nothing will ever turn us from the path of greatness."

FYI, I think only twice in the history of the NFL did a team lose a HOF caliber QB and follow it up with another HOF caliber QB.

Joe Montana followed by Steve Young

Brett Favre followed by Aaron Rodgers.

and maybe include Bob Waterfield followed by Norm Van Brocklin.

(and in the near future probably Peyton followed by Luck)

Jimmy Garropolo might be your Mark Malone (who had to follow up both Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts) or your Brian (not Bob) Griese or your Jay Fiedler or your Quincy Carter...or your Tommy O'Connell

We know a guy from Akron, Ohio who claims to be a Cowboys/Yankees fan. His name is LeBron James.

Years ago I invented a term that you will see here on occasion: FRAK, simply FrontRunnerAssKisser. Guys that jump on the bandwagon of teams that win instead of really being loyal to you home town team.

To paraphrase Marcellus Wallace: Fuck FRAKS.

FRAK. Best thing I have heard today. I love it.

I don't think its Tom Brady that gives New England fans this arrogance- even for all the years the Red Sox and Patriots weren't great, New England fans are typically arrogant jackasses who can only respond to disagreement by insisting that they are right.

Nothing new to me, I am a lawyer after all.

Also I don't think the Pats will necessarily be a bad team again just because Brady retires. If they let Jimmy G. learn behind Brady for a few years I could see him being a decent franchise quarterback. He is a FAR better backup skill-set wise than Mallet and Hoyer ever were (though you guys know all too well about the latter)

Oh, now you really sound like a freeking Steeler fan: "We are great because we are great and nothing will ever turn us from the path of greatness."

FYI, I think only twice in the history of the NFL did a team lose a HOF caliber QB and follow it up with another HOF caliber QB.

Joe Montana followed by Steve Young

Brett Favre followed by Aaron Rodgers.

and maybe include Bob Waterfield followed by Norm Van Brocklin.

(and in the near future probably Peyton followed by Luck)

Jimmy Garropolo might be your Mark Malone (who had to follow up both Terry Bradshaw and Dan Fouts) or your Brian (not Bob) Griese or your Jay Fiedler or your Quincy Carter...or your Tommy O'Connell

I never said Jimmy G. would be a HoF QB, nor did I say that we would be a championship team. I said I think he has the talent to be a "decent franchise quarterback". Also do I think we will still be contenders? As long as we have Bill Belichick, yes we will be. We may not win the AFC east every year after Brady leaves but yes we will still be in the running because Belichick knows how to assemble a good squad of guys year after year.

Texas is a cute place with a fascinating lack of self-awareness.

They fetishize their military history ["Don't Mess With Texas"] yet the actual historical record shows that Texas conclusively lost every engagement they were in.

The "free" state of Texas was bailed out by the US Federal Government - each and every time.

Archived